PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to cut my hair

MissAlida
August 27th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Well, long story short, I'm going to cut my hair into a pixie tomorrow. I almost did it two years ago, but then I found LHC and kept growing. Here I've learned so much about haircare, products, and I really love the community. Thanks to all of you who have adviced me when I had questions. I hope you don't mind if I'll stick around, I really like it here.:flower:

Truth is, I would really love to have long hair, but my hair has been shedding alot for more than 2 years now. I've been to the doctor, had a blood test, thyroid checked, been taking vitamins and supplements, eating healthy, using a special shampoo to fight the shed, but nothing helped.The doctor said that stress is causing it. I'm a pretty sensitive person, and I still have 4 difficult years of college ahead of me. My lenght is so thin, my ends are probably not even one inch in circumference. My hair only looks good on wash days, I can't wear updos, because my buns are tiny, my braids are thin, and the overall look of it is not making me happy. So I'm tired of taking care of something that is not going to get any better. I admire all of you who have long beautiful hair, but it's not going to happen for me, at least not now. I'm planning on cutting it tomorrow. IF my shedding ever stops, I'll grow it out again, and I'll be haunting LHC till then. I would also like to try henna on my short hair. So thanks again for everything, and for reading this, I'll probably be back with questions.:)

BTW, I used to have a pixie and loved it, so it's going to be fine.:D

browneyedsusan
August 27th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Have fun with it!

I loved my pixie too! It's grown out in my siggy, I wore it super short. Feel free to come to the "super-shorty" thread!

One of the things I loved about my pixie was that I could color and bleach the dickens out of it. If you henna, you'll have to grow it out before you can lighten it--henna is super hard to lift. But with a pixie, you'll have a "new" head of hair in 4 months, so henna isn't nearly as "permanent" as it is for the long-hairs!

Have fun, and share your pictures! :D

MissAlida
August 27th, 2012, 05:45 AM
browneyedsusan I'm torn between long hair and short. I loved my pixie, and still like the look on others, but I also like my curls. I find that one moment I'm quite determined, the other I already miss my long hair. But short hair is very easy to wash and wear, and I'd like to have some fun with my hair while I still have the time for it. Worrying about the lenght getting thinner and thinner is not much fun:o

julliams
August 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Oh wow you are doing what I secretly wish I could do. Unfortunately I don't have the face for it but it's something I would love to do one day. Enjoy it!

palaeoqueen
August 27th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Sounds like the right decision for you at this moment in time, good luck!

RubyTuesday
August 27th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Well as you have already had a pixie you are not going to have any major shocks and hours spent in the bathroom crying! (hopefully)
I am growing out a pixie and I did not like mine at all..... I just don't feel feminine without my hair - but that is my problem and each to their own. I wish I had the face for a pixie but I don't have the fine features of Natalie Portman or Michelle Williams. I need my hair to look pretty!

But a good pixie kicks butt and looks amazing!

MissAlida
August 27th, 2012, 06:14 AM
julliams Your hair looks beautiful in your avatar, I'd love to have hair that thick, and I wouldn't cut it no matter how much work it needed.:)

I just washed it. Usually I deep condition it for an hour before every wash, then air dry it for another 2 hours. It's way too much work, but my curls are not happy unless I do it. I just did a simple S/C, towel dried and will let it to air dry without anything on it.

Oh the LHC has done it's magic again.:p I was sure I wanted to cut when I posted 2 hours ago. Now I'm thinking about giving my hair another chance. I just don't know what to do, I'd like to go both ways at the same time. I'm sure others have felt this way before me.:rolleyes:

ladyfey
August 27th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I'm a bit envious. I have a long face and a pixie would not work for me, I would do it otherwise!

browneyedsusan
August 27th, 2012, 06:58 AM
browneyedsusan I'm torn between long hair and short. I loved my pixie, and still like the look on others, but I also like my curls. I find that one moment I'm quite determined, the other I already miss my long hair. But short hair is very easy to wash and wear, and I'd like to have some fun with my hair while I still have the time for it. Worrying about the lenght getting thinner and thinner is not much fun:o

Geez! You're still young! You've got all sorts of time to grow it back out. When you finish school, and get settled down with some work, your hair will probably thicken up and you can grow it then. Just relax and enjoy the ride! Your whole life is ahead of you. I'm about to utter some blasphemous words for this forum: it is only hair. :twocents: No matter what you do, it will grow back. :D (Unless you're in chemotherapy or something like that; and then you've got bigger problems than losing your hair...)

browneyedsusan
August 27th, 2012, 07:18 AM
julliams Your hair looks beautiful in your avatar, I'd love to have hair that thick, and I wouldn't cut it no matter how much work it needed.:)

I just washed it. Usually I deep condition it for an hour before every wash, then air dry it for another 2 hours. It's way too much work, but my curls are not happy unless I do it. I just did a simple S/C, towel dried and will let it to air dry without anything on it.

Oh the LHC has done it's magic again.:p I was sure I wanted to cut when I posted 2 hours ago. Now I'm thinking about giving my hair another chance. I just don't know what to do, I'd like to go both ways at the same time. I'm sure others have felt this way before me.:rolleyes:

Just cool your heels and wait. Give it a few weeks and think about it and pray about it, if you pray. The right answer will drop into your lap. :flower:

ETA: I love the wording of your OP: "cut" instead of "chop" or "chop off". Very well-put.

PinkyCat
August 27th, 2012, 07:32 AM
If you feel cutting is what you must do, then only you know. But what about the root issue - the stress? You need to get to the bottom of that immediately and figure out what is making you so stressed out that you're losing hair.

Research and try some healthy things that will help relieve that stress - even if it's as simple as "Home Spa Sunday" (that's my little trick). Get a grip on the stress now so other health or emotional problems don't pop up later. :)

MissAlida
August 27th, 2012, 08:26 AM
browneyedsusan You're right, hair is just hair, and it grows back. I seem to forget that sometimes, too much LHC has that effect on me.:p Also, I don't really like the word "chop". For some reason it reminds me of a butcher, and that is not a pretty picture to associate it with hair.:D

PinkyCat I know I should get the stress under control, I'm vorking on it. I'm just having exams next week, so I'm more stressed than usual. I'll wait 2 weeks before I do anything about my hair. Funny thing is, whenever I decide to cut it short, I always change my mind, even tough I am a pretty determined person. But the "home spa sunday" sounds very good. I should give it a try.:)

Mischamiu
August 27th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I'm sure you will look awesome, and you can always grow your hair after college when you have more time to yourself and the stress will be less important :blossom:

Arianwen
August 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I got a pixie cut when I was young, too. I loved it...my friend at the time bleached it blonde for me, it was gorgeous. I went to the beach a lot (it was summer time.) I say: if it is what you want, go for it.

jojo
August 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Good for you, this is a forum which looks at ways to treat our hair in a more healthy manner. Just because it has the word "long" in the title does not mean its an exclusive club for long hairs. I for one would hate you to think that!

Hair is about being happy and you are obviously not, I love pixies but on me they look terrible, think pea on a mountain! So I'm quite envious that you can pull this style off and with your new found knowledge on hair care my what a healthy little pixie you will have!

Don't be a stranger, post photos and remember its about being happy :) and if in the future you want to grow you can and if you don't that's fine too!!!

jextxadore
August 27th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I wonder if having short hair again would be a good time to transition to WO washing, since even with a bad transition period it won't be obvious — it'd be over by the time your hair got to the length where it was visible.

Just saying, if you've ever thought about trying WO…I know if I were ever to cut my hair short again I'd go WO.

Henrietta
August 27th, 2012, 10:14 AM
If you're sure, go for it and be happy! :)
You'll surely learn how to overcome stress one day. And then your hair loss will stop.

BambooBeauty
August 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Good luck! Im sure you'll look beautiful!!!

jacqueline101
August 27th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I wish you good luck on your hair journey.

Greenfire
August 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hahaha, by the notion that your hair is thinning and you are thinking of chopping it, if it were me, I'd try dreadlocks first, as they artificially "thicken" the hair, though you'll lose a lot of length and have to chop it one day anyway. But if you're already thinking you need to, have some fun with it first and do a bunch of nutty stuff with it. Mullet anyone??? I think it could be extremely cathartic!

As for stress, you say you don't have time to deal with it, but that's not the attitude you need, you have to MAKE time. Time for your sanity, may I suggest doing something for 30 minutes every day that is very frivolous, and something you very much enjoy, but do it anyway? Reading is also good, as is sitting on the porch drinking tea and watching birds or bugs fly while you do nothing else, or how about a half hour yoga class?? I know you have finals, but hey, 30 minutes??

faithsdaisy421
August 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM
There was a period in my life when I was losing hair due to stress, as well. It was so hard. I remember thinking "I have all this stress (insert all things here), PLUS I am going to end up BALD!" It passed, once things calmed down. I understand you wanting to cut.

Hopefully things will calm down for you soon! Remember to take care of your short locks as well!!

TheWhiteRabbit
August 27th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I understand the stress. Either way you go, Im sure it will look pretty :)

MissAlida
August 27th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Thank you all for the support you show, it really means alot to me.:flower:

After reading all the comments and talking to my mom about it, I think I'm going to try and stay a longhair (Interestingly, my mom wanted me to cut it for a long time, and now that I told her I want to cut, she persuaded me not to:rolleyes:). I've decide to try henna, which will hopefully thicken a bit my hair, and maybe reduce the shedding. I'm before my exams, and am afraid that I will regret cutting it after my exams have ended and I can relax a bit.

Greenfire I try to relax a bit every day, but I'm still a long way from being able to stay relaxed the whole day. And my hair sheds no matter what kind of day I have. It sheds during breaks and holidays, even when I'm not stressed. One would think that at least then it could reduce.

ratgirldjh
August 27th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Henna may help! Also try scalp massages with warm castor oil. Ahhh

Your hair looks very pretty in your avatar. It doesn't look thin at all. Perhaps you could just trim it a bit and that will take away the urge to cut?

I know this urge! I cut my almost waist length hair off last summer to a chin length bob! I loved it at first but then it got hot here and I suddenly realized I couldn't put up my hair!!! OMG!

And for me short hair needed much more styling than my long hair ever did. So now I'm growing it back!

Just make some time for yourself and your hair and things will work out - you are young - if you cut your hair it will grow back! I've had super short hair about 100 times in my life up til now and long hair almost that many times!

hermosamendoza
August 28th, 2012, 09:23 PM
post pics when you do. I like pixie cuts they just don't work with my chubby cheeks

SerinaDaith
August 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I have ut my hair pretty much every time I get to BSL and then regret it every time. I think now about how much longer my hair could be and I get really grumpy. I wish I had waited every time and really thought about how much more work short hair is for me.

katfemme89
August 28th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I always say Quality over Quantity so if you feel like your hair will be healthier and look better at pixie length for your college years, then I say go for it girlfriend! It's your body, your hair, and your decision, and just because it's a "long" hair forum that doesn't mean that shorties aren't welcome.

I've had my hair in an asymmetrical pixie/bob (see Aeon Flux) and I got just about as many compliments on that as I have long hair.

Carpe Diem!

MeowScat
August 30th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I see that you're flip-flopping back and forth on cutting it so I'm glad you decided to wait. I was all for the pixie until I read that you weren't 100% sure. I looked at your avatar and your hair looks beautiful. We're our own worst critics. I don't see what you see, honestly.

Stress certainly doesn't stop after college. Homeowning, your career, marriage, children, etc. are not easy. A lot of people I've known have wished for their college days again even though when they were in it, they couldn't wait to get out.

Look into different ways to lessen your stress-levels and if you want to cut your hair again, maybe consider doing it in small intervals. Like a half in to an inch at a time. That alone will thicken up your hemline and give you not only more time to decide but you just might be very happy with a little trim.

Just my two cents, but the fact that you weren't completely sure and you want to have long hair screamed, "think about it for a while" to me.

Good luck and I hope you find a way to deal with your stress.

Juanita
August 30th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Meditation is a good way to help reduce stress. Start the day with a meditation to relax and calm you to face what the day brings.
Have fun with your hair what ever you choose. Remember nothing is forever.

mrs_coffee
August 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah, if you're not sure don't do it. I loved my pixie and will probably go back to it someday, but for now I'm happy to grow. Henna is certainly worth a shot.

MaryO
August 31st, 2012, 03:57 AM
The best thing about hair- it always grows back!

Enjoy the short hair again and one of these days you'll have grown it out and have luscious locks (when the stress is gone!;-)

MissAlida
August 31st, 2012, 06:46 AM
I've decide to keep my long locs for now. I had this urge to cut, but when the day came, I realised that I didn't want to cut, however thin my hair is. So I did a full head henna the day before yesterday. It has turned out great, my hair has soo much volume, it doesn't even look thin anymore. And the color...such a pretty red shine in the sun.:o I'm so glad now that I didn't cut.

MeowScat I think you are 100% right. Stress will not dissapear once college is over, stress never really goes away.I just need to learn how to manage it.

Juanita I used to meditate, but I always did it at night. Now I find that I am so exhausted that I barely even begin to meditate, and fall asleep.:rolleyes:

browneyedsusan
August 31st, 2012, 07:31 AM
A nice henna solves everything!
:D

SerinaDaith
August 31st, 2012, 07:32 AM
Hip hip hurrah!