PDA

View Full Version : is any regular conditioner suitable to use as a leave-in?

laurarvt
August 26th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Or are there some ingredients that should be avoided?

Thanks!

Rufflebutt
August 26th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I know that this works for some people, but it doesn't work for me. I think it's probably because my conditioner that I use is so thick and moisturizing that leaving on my hair would just make it goopy and gross if not rinsed out. I seriously love my conditioner, though! I leave it on for two minutes and my hair feels like heaven after I rinse. :)

I don't know anything about ingredients, unfortunately.

Diamond.Eyes
August 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Some regular conditioners are too thick to be absorbed into the hair and can leave a coating, but a lot of people here find that it works miracles for them. My hair isn't coarse enough to use this method, so I just use oil. :flower:

spirals
August 27th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I've done it for years. I'm currently using something meant to be a leave-in, but regular conditioner works well if I combine it with a product for hold. Of course, I am a curly.

Aveyronnaise
August 27th, 2012, 01:20 AM
This is interesting because I have just started doing this , it's kind of been the only thing to make my wave pattern more uniform.
I have been a little worried about buildup , but my ends feel great and for some reason my hair seems to like a fairly strong shampoo and a truck load of oil or condish.
Maybe it won't work for winter , but I will continue and see how it goes. I am not using a super thick conditioner though. Just garnier coconut tiare ultra doux.
You can actually see a delineation line on my hair ,it's like a LHC line where it goes from mildly wavy to an extremely short curly type pattern it's wild.
I have officially rambled.

coffinhert
August 27th, 2012, 01:24 AM
I have wavy hair and I smooth a little bit of coconut oil into my ends as a leave-in. I also avoid products with 'cones in them because it leads to buildup and makes my hair a little crunchier. Coconut oil keeps it smooth and soft and un-frizzy.

Honey39
August 27th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I used to worry about using 'normal' conditioner as a leave in, but for the last year I've just used it, with a load of coconut oil on top. I do it when I wear my hair up, but it all seems okay.

Chanie
August 27th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I think u can always take a small amount of your conditioner and mix it with water in a spray bottle, then u have a leave in :)

Madora
August 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Everything you put on your hair leaves a trace..and those traces can build up quickly depending on how rich the product is.

If you use conditioner, diluting it a bit might be a better option.

Even better, use a few drops of mineral oil instead of conditioner.

gthlvrmx
August 27th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Hmm im not sure i use my suave conditioner for co washing and then as a leave in and i haven't had much problems with it actually leaves in my smooth, been doing it for a year. but sometimes leftover product causes flakes as ive found out.

lapushka
August 27th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Some conditioners have "sodium hydroxide" (lye) in them --> pretty popular for some Pantene conditioners. Avoid those as leave-ins!

mira-chan
August 30th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I've used V05 as a leave in successfully. It's a runny conditioner so not too thick. I like the tea line especially for this, most don't have protein.

dawnss
August 30th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I am really about to stop using conditioner as a leave in (generally I do it on days when I won't have time to fuss with my hair after I wash it). Even if I use Suave or Vo5 my hair flakes up so you can only imagine what happens when I use Tresseme, Herbal Essences, Redken (that's just bad), and etc. I use leave in conditioners for leave in's now, along with aloe vera gel, Shea Moisture Hair smoothie, and a mineral oil filled hair grease.

Though, certain conditioners really define my curls, so when I have no more heat damage I might use conditioner for the occasional wash n go (especially because gel causes even more flakes lol).

For the fortunate few who can use conditioner as a leave in, more power to you!

Mirsha
August 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Regular conditioner is not formulated to be left on. You could end up with a nice rash on your back/face/neck like I did.

LoveSnap
August 30th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I've heard of people using Vo5 successfully but all it ever did for me was leave my hair sticky and coated. Back when I used to follow "Tightly Curly" I used Aussie Moist and Tressemme (they all seem the same under this brand name) conditioners and they left my hair with lots of shine and hold.

dawnss
August 30th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I've heard of people using Vo5 successfully but all it ever did for me was leave my hair sticky and coated. Back when I used to follow "Tightly Curly" I used Aussie Moist and Tressemme (they all seem the same under this brand name) conditioners and they left my hair with lots of shine and hold.

Yep they're great for that, especially if one's hair cannot handle all of the protein in gels.

justgreen
August 30th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I've had great results with L'oreal Everpure Moisture conditioner and Sebastian Volume Conditioner as leave-ins, but only from the ears down, for length and ends. I always dampen my hands with distilled water and use a pea sized amount of conditioner on each half of my hair pulled forward.