PDA

View Full Version : Do You Take Vitamins for Your Hair?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Islandgrrl
August 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM
And, of course, if you do...what do you take and has it made a difference in your hair?

My answer is yes, religiously. I'll edit in a few minutes with what I take. So far I notice more of a difference in my nails than anything else. They freaking grow like mad!

Okay, I take GNC's NourisHair, Biotin, Flaxseed Oil (I wasn't thrilled with the all-day fishy burps I got from Fish Oil!), Glucosamine/Chondroitin (not sure this does anything for my hair, but my hips don't hurt anymore), and MSM.

Always on the lookout for something else that will help!

eadwine
August 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I take a Dutch Kruidvat supplement, you wouldn't know it :)

Huid, haar & nagels I believe it is called.

Oh difference, not a clue. Been taking it for almost a year now. But I have to take a supplement anyway, best take one aimed at the hair, no? ;)

ladystar
August 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Religiously

I have been taking Shen Min for 5 months, I saw a difference with theses.
I also just started taking biotin and fish oil vitamins. Can say anything about them just yet!

dor3girl
August 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I take a women's vitamin, MSM, silica, calcium, occasionally Iron, and collagen (when I can remember to take it). The only one that has really made a difference is the MSM. I don't really notice any difference with the other supplements.

winter
August 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I take vitamins, not all for the sake of my hair, but most.

I take a multivitamin for women, Silica Forte + which is for hair, skin and nails, a multivitamin for vegetarians, kelp, MSM and iron (when I remember). I try to take them not at the same time but during the day, that will be easier when I start working again after vacation.

Guenever
August 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Religiously!

Every night I take:
1 multivitamin pill
3 silica
1 vitamin b-complex
1 fish oil

I don't really know how much of a difference they have made since I started taking them around the same time I started taking better care of my hair.. but I like the general idea of strengthening my health with a multivitamin and fish oil.. the rest is just for my pleasure.. a helping hand to make my hair grow to its full potential so a say :wink:

thankyousir74
August 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Does Flaxseed Oil/Fish Oil count as a hair vitamin?

Arctic
August 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I chose "yes, when I remember". I use Finnish brand Piimax C+Biotiini, it has silica, biotin, c-vitamin etc. I usually take the required tablets/day until the bottle is empty, and then take a break, often months at time. Effect? In nails its noticeable, not elsewhere. I don't think it does much for my hair ;)

ETA: I use other vitamins and minerals too, but not specifically for my hair.

Ohio Sky
August 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I take GNC skin, hair and nails vitamins and Centrum Daily for women. I haven't noticed any difference since adding the GNC vitamins. I switched from One a Day to Centrum because it had more Biotin :geek: but I think I will go back when I'm out. One a day all day energy vitamins are the only ones I've ever noticed made a difference, but it in the way I felt, not in my hair.

Adrienne
August 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I forgot!!!!!!!!! I was just at wal-mart today! I had PLANNED to buy some Hair,Skin and nails vitamins.

so I voted that " I probably should"

I COMPLETELY FORGOT to buy them! and there are not many stores close to where I live. at least not ones that are as affordable as wal-mart. NOW I have to wait until my next trip.

I bet I would probably remember to take Hair,Skin, and Nail vitamin. I NEVER remember to take Multi-Vitamins. Not important enough to me. but I just bet if I was taking vitamins for my hair :cloud9: I would be right on it!!!

someday someday I will finally buy some

anna1850
August 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I take biotin and kelp every day for my hair. I also take for general health reasons a vegan multi-vitamin and vegan omega 3,6,7+9 pills (which are quite expensive). I do forget very occaisionally but I think I take them regularly enough to say 'religiously.'

Can't say if they're having much impact but it's only been a few months and I haven't been measuring monthly anymore.

Alley Cat
August 8th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I take vitamins but not for my hair some of the ones I take might be for hair but I am not taking them for that purpose . I used to take biotin and it did nothing. :shrug:

I didn't answer the poll as I wasn't sure what to answer as I take vitamins as I said but not for my hair now.

kwaniesiam
August 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Not specifically for my hair, my doctor has me on them for other health problems but if they are helping my hair, all the more reason to take them right? ;)

Bene
August 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM
what is MSM?

jojo
August 8th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Yes i take religiously

2 kelp
1 multi vit

I did see increased growth at first, now im back to my 1/2" a month growth but my hair overall is much softer. Maybe thats in my head but im going to keep on taking them regardless.

akka naeda
August 9th, 2008, 03:21 AM
They're not specifically for my hair, and I take them most days (so not quite religiously!)

Multi vit (at present Holland and Barrett's Mega-multiviatamin because they had it on a cheap deal) A multivit is the one I am most likely not to have because I have forgotten to buy it.

Below is what I take based on not having a multivit.
Flaxseed, starflower oils (1 capsule of each/day)
MSM (2/day)
biotin (1 capsule plus the amnt in the multi vit)
B complex because I was told an excess of one type of B can cause malabsorption of the others. (1/day)
silica (1/day) this had a phenomenal effect on my nails before I started hennaing them. I can't remember the brand but it was recommended to me on the basis of its nail strengthening abilities. Hopefully it does the same with my hair.:)

laurachiplock
August 9th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I take Andrew Lessman Hair, Skin & Nails which has been great. Its in capsule form & has a shot of everything in it.
http://http://health-fitness.hsn.com/andrew-lessman-healthy-hair-skin-nails_m-10029831_xp.aspx?web_id=3724150&sf=hf&dept=hf0035&cat=hf0092&attr=129&ocm=HF|129|hf0035|hf0092&prev=hp!sf!129!cat&ccm=HF|129|hf0035|hf0092 (http://health-fitness.hsn.com/andrew-lessman-healthy-hair-skin-nails_m-10029831_xp.aspx?web_id=3724150&sf=hf&dept=hf0035&cat=hf0092&attr=129&ocm=HF|129|hf0035|hf0092&prev=hp!sf!129!cat&ccm=HF|129|hf0035|hf0092)
I really like them- easy 2 pills a day & thats it-
Tablets are a waste of money, IMO

Sherri
August 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
No I don't use vitiamins but I can't seem to tell the cheese is helping any. lol

pariate
August 9th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I take MSM. I stopped taking it for a few months because I was sooooooooo very poor, and when I started again I was amazed at how quickly my hair and nails began to grow! My nails grow 2-3mm a week. It's crazy! If my nails are growing that quickly I figure my hair must be reaping the benefits too ;)

pariate
August 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
what is MSM?

Bene - MSM stands for Methylsulfonylmethane. As well as being excellent for tissue building (hair, skin and nails all love it!) it aids detoxification as it helps the body safely flush out toxins and waste products. I believe it's also useful for joint health, which again is linked to its tissue building properties.

Sakura07
August 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I vote no, but I probably should.

Currently I'm just taking a multi vitamin mostly for general health. and I'm thinking about possible others to take. Perhaps I will start with a hair skin and nails? Biotin or MSM? I really don't know yet. I guess I'm still in the research stage.

Monsterkitti
August 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I take a multivitamin from Boots and Biotin.

Im not sure if they have had much effect on my hair but my nails are growing much much faster and are lovely and bright white which is encouraging. Hopefully whats good for my nails has a good effect on my hair too.

ClareDee
August 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I've been taking Perfectil for Skin, Hair & Nails for almost two weeks, which is too short a time to give any reports on it.
It's just a multivitamin repackaged and aimed at vulnerable hair enthusiasts, really. Nothing in that you wouldn't get in Centrum or something else... I'm just a sucker for this stuff at the moment.
Will report back once I've taken it for a month.

Adrienne
August 9th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hip Hip HOORRRAY!!! today I got ONESOURCE Vitamins at wal-mart. they cost like 7 dollars for 80 caplets. you take 2 of them every day.

They are Hair, Skin and Nails vitamin.

Adrienne
August 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Just took the vitamins for the 1st time.........BITTER.........NASTY...............

all in the name of hair, PLEASE grow hair, PLEASE grow!

Cereus
August 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM
:)I take vitamins for my whole body. I guess that would include my hair. I take Centrum multivitamins, fish oil, magnesium and calcium. I can't tell if they have helped my hair since I have also been taking a lot better care of it. They probably have.

zen_oven
August 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I take a multivitamin for women and also an omega-3. I may start taking a B complex or MSM. The MSM sounds good since it is also good for joints--I've been doing yoga once a week lately and am working on getting my flexibility back. My joints are slowly getting way less crunchy!

Not sure yet if the vitamins are making a difference--I guess time will tell.

pariate
August 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I think the standard advice is that it takes about 3 months for the true benefits of a new vitamin regime to be felt. There are so many internal benefits that we won't be able to see! The outward signs (better skin, faster growing nails and hair etc) seem to show a little more quickly but even with those I find the initial immediate signs are NOTHING compared to the vast improvement I see over the course of a few months. So cool!

Finoriel
August 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
No, I prefer a big hunk of cheese!!! :wink: Gorgonzola to be exact.
I prefer to eat healthy and to give my body all it needs that way, eating normal everyone of us should get enough vitamins/minerals/whatever with your daily food. Swallowing pills is not making up for a lack of healthy diet imho.

And :wink: just saying, but overdosing vitamins can make you quite sick and can lead to serious health problems. Ask your doctor or look it up in the Internet, thereīs plenty of information out there. Itīs definitely not doing your body a favour taking additional vitamins, if itīs not prescribed of a doctor because of a lack of xy. "Itīs just vitamins and canīt hurt to take." is simply not true. It can hurt.

Meli
August 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I take brewers yeast, started to do that in January and have done it more or less religiously ever since. My nails have gotten much stronger and don't chip and break as much as before. I can't tell for sure, but I think they grow a little faster too. I'm not sure how it has effected my hair, because I have changed everything in my haircare since then and I did not measure regularly before I found LHC. But I assume, and certainly hope, that the increased strength and growth applies to my hair too!

pariate
August 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
It's true, there are plenty of vitamins (things like vit A spring to mind) that can cause health problems if taken to excess, but most of these dangers are avoided at point of manufacture by a) not producing tablets that deliver a dangerous amount of each vitamin/mineral and b) by producing blends - more often than not the dangers of taking too much of one type of vitamin lie in not taking other vitamins with it. There are some vitamins that should be taken in conjunction with others (vit A again, as an example, should often be taken with vit C). Unfortunately the media does have a tendency to dramatise things out of proportion and not report all the balancing facts! ;) Following the directions on a bottle of vitamins is usually precaution enough.

Personally I do not feel comfortable relying on the nutrition content of the foods I eat. Agressive farming practices, pesticides, processing, and time between harvest and consumption all work to lower the nutritional value of the foods we consume. Add to that our "toxic" lifestyles with all the pollutants we are exposed to, high levels of stress due to modern pace of life, pharmaceutical products etc. and our bodies are robbed of even more nutrients.

Just my :twocents:

Haith
August 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Yes, when I remember. I just bought a multivitamin, and I'm taking it for my overall health, not just for my hair. But I was sure to get one with biotin and lots of other B-vitamins, just in case. I haven't been taking them for long enough to notice any difference. Will keep you updated, though.

harley mama
August 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I am not on any type of vitamin for my hair. Right now I am only taking a magnesium supplement.
I probably need to get back on my multi-vitamins soon. I wanted to give my body a rest from all
drugs for a few months.

Igor
August 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I hereby claim the title as “supplement guru” in the name of my mighty follicles!

pariate
August 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I hereby claim the title as “supplement guru” in the name of my mighty follicles!

:rolling: You make me giggle!

Still sending you hugs, by the way...

Islandgrrl
August 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM

And truly mighty follicles you do have! How are you doing? Sending hugs your way, too!

camara
August 11th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I voted no, because I donīt believe in the benefits of food supplements, and, well, I do prefer cheese, preferably Emmenthal. :)

Tangles
August 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I just use a Centrum multivitamin (religiously, that one, because it has B12 which keeps me energetic) and a Biotin (which I use often but not daily). Biotin does make my nails grow way too fast, ugh.

sipnsun
August 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I take so many vitamins for so many different things I'll have to get the bottles out to list them:

Green Source Iron Free daily vitamin and supplement- I take 3 a day
Glucosamine and Chondroitin (Triple Strength)- 2 a day
Omega (3-6-9)- 3 a day
CLA Tonalin- 2 a day
Chromium Picolinate 200mcg- 1 a day
Oat Bran- 2 a day

I don't take these all at once, but over the course of the day. If you take any kind of fiber supplement, don't take it with your oils because the fiber will absorb the oils. I didn't know this for years and took them all at once. All of my vitamins come from Vitamin World in the local mall. I usually take Biotin, but ran out awhile back and just keep forgetting to get more! (Most of these are recommended by my doctor for various reasons.)

MeMyselfandI
August 12th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Bene - MSM stands for Methylsulfonylmethane. As well as being excellent for tissue building (hair, skin and nails all love it!) it aids detoxification as it helps the body safely flush out toxins and waste products. I believe it's also useful for joint health, which again is linked to its tissue building properties.

Bene: Thanks for asking.

Pariate: Thanks for the answer.

Phalaenopsis
August 12th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Silicea - for my hair, but especially for my ankles
Gingko Biloba - I was taking it during the exams and noticed my hair grew faster and my bloodcircumference was better, so know I'm on it again :)

Vitamine B-forte
Zink picolinaat - I have/had a zincshortage
Magnesium- beneficial for my hair, but I take it for my muscles

sexyjacksparrow
August 12th, 2008, 06:18 AM
No but I probably should!!

Kerry xx

Loreyanne_H
August 12th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Yes, I take vitamin H plus silicium and calcium to make my hair stronger and shinier.

Elanor
August 13th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I voted for cheeeese because I do take vitamins but not for hair, just for general health :)

ysmalan
August 13th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I voted for the chunk of cheese, and actually that's very true.
I don't take any vitamins, ever... In my opinion a healthy diet has to be sufficient. If it isn't, well then it probably isn't healthy enough. ;)
It doesn't seem like I need any supplements, my hair is very healthy, my growth is normal and my fingernails, too, are strong and hard as rock.

tiny_teesha
August 13th, 2008, 04:46 AM
i take a supplement drink- Why? Because i HATE HATE HATE swallowing tablets!!!!!! :)

greekprincess
August 13th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I voted, yes religiously. Every morning with breakfast I take a multivitamin/mineral, biotin and Omega 3 6 9. With dinner I take another Omega 3 6 9 pill. I just started taking the biotin within the last couple of months...so I am not really sure if it is doing anything for my hair quite yet.

curls2grow
August 13th, 2008, 05:44 AM
ladystar, which brand of Shen Min are you taking and about how long did it take for you to notice hair quality improvement? I've been considering starting Shen Min.

vindo
August 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I have not taken any for 4 months but before I used to have a whole pallette of Silica, Biotin, Zinc, MSM, Fishoil spread over one week ;)

30isthenewblack
August 14th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Yes, religiously.

I take Figaro Hair Food in the morning & QSillica in the night. I have been taking the Figaro Hair Food tablets since May and just started on QSillica. I usually see improvement with the Figaro tablets in a few months when I've given up & stopped taking it. I just have to be really disciplined this time.

ladystar
August 14th, 2008, 06:52 AM
ladystar, which brand of Shen Min are you taking and about how long did it take for you to notice hair quality improvement? I've been considering starting Shen Min.

I started to see it after 2 months a little, but after 3 other people started to see it. Been taking them for 5 months straight now! I love them! :D

I use the one with the pink label. I order them from this site; (below) they get to me pretty fast and there a lot cheaper than at GNC's

http://www.ordershenmin.com/shen_min/shen_min_women.htm

Good Luck!

vidgrl007
August 14th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I take mine religiously,in the a.m. I take1 hsn,1 chromium,1 vit c,1 biotin,2 msm,1 fishoil,

In the p.m,I take 1 fish oil 2 msm,1 folic,1 vit e,1 zinc,1 magnesium.(and a partrige in a pair tree:D).

I'm going to add a b complex,kelp and flax.

my nails have always grown quickly,my hair not so much:(

islandgrl,have you tried the enteric coated omegas that helps with the fishburps.

Nightshade
August 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I get Hair Skin and Nails vitamins from Target, and I take 2 of those, one multi and 2 Evening Primrose caps a day :) In the morning it's the multi, one HSN, and one EPO. At dinner its the second EPO, and the second HSN.

I also eat stupidly well (most times). Lots of green veggies, lean meats and whole grains.

My fingernails can turn screws they're so strong, and I trust that it's helping me grow healthier hair, though that's a bit harder to see.

curls2grow
August 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I haven't heard of Figaro Hair Food before -- can this be purchased online?

maibaum
August 15th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Its brewer's yeast here.

30isthenewblack
August 15th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I haven't heard of Figaro Hair Food before -- can this be purchased online?

I'm not sure where you are from but it's actually an Australian product. I usually buy it in-store. Here is some more information about the product - http://www.totallynatural.com.au/figaro-hair-food.htm

curls2grow
August 15th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Thanks for letting me know so that I could check it out online. I was hoping it might be available somewhere online in the US. Sounds like a good product to try, so I am bummed.

30isthenewblack
August 15th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Ahh ... now you know how we feel :) Maybe you can email them & ask them if they have any US distributors? It is a good product and works on the premise that to have healthy hair, you must feed your hair from the inside rather than the outside if that makes sense!

Chromis
August 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I take a gummy multi (can't swallow pills and they taste the best) and others as I can find them, esp Omega 3 in the form of Salvia hispanica (the chia plant!) since I'm not wanting to go anywhere near fish oil. I don't take them just for my hair, but I am sure the hair reaps the benefits as well!

Chirp
August 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I don't take any sort of vitamin on a regular basis, though I really ought to. Adding a daily multi-vitamin to my routine would definitely help improve my overall health. Increased hair growth/health/luster/etc would be a delightful bonus!

Any particular recommendations?

mmccleary
August 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I take GNC's Hair, Skin, & Nails Program. It's a 30-day program with their Hair, Skin & Nails tablets, evening primrose oil tablets, and collagen tablets. I've only been using it for about a month, but I think it's made my hair grow faster (or rather, now that I have the proper nutrition, it SEEMS like my hair is growing faster). I definitely plan to re-buy. :)

I also take a chewable multi-vitamin.

Ndnlady
August 16th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I take trader joes multi-vitamin for women, it's cheaper then the gnc vitamins I used to take and they have dong quai in them which I think has been helping me get more smoothly through that time of the month!

D-eath
August 18th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Last choice - no.

curls2grow
August 18th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Ahh ... now you know how we feel :) Maybe you can email them & ask them if they have any US distributors? Great idea! I just did. Thanks.

30isthenewblack
August 21st, 2008, 05:38 AM
Let me know how you go :D

rubyann
August 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Yes, religiously. Except on the occasions that I forget:p which is rare.

I take a multi, biotin, msm, chondroiton and glucosamine, complete B and calcium with D. I think that's it.

I'm not sure if it's had any effect or not, but I'll keep taking them anyway. Can't hurt, eh?

ClareDee
September 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
I'm checking in just to report back on Perfectil, which I've been taking for around six weeks (I did miss a couple of days here and there, I admit).
So far, no noticeable effect on my hair. The only change I've seen is that my nails are stronger than they used to be. I have long fingernails, and used to be able to slightly bend them down at the tip. I can't bend them anymore!

If it's doing good things for my nails, I would assume it's having at least some small effect on my hair, even if I haven't noticed... Will probably continue with it :)

kunibob
September 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
I take Flax Seed Oil and MSM/Chond for autoimmune disorders, and both of those have done fabulous things for my hair's health as well as my body's health.

CaityBear
September 3rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Well, my hair is the reason I now try harder to remember to take a multivitamin.

I have tried before because I know I don't get all the vitamins and minerals that I need so I started taking a multivitamin to get those vitamins. Now the ones we have are multi vitamins/minerals.

But I try harder now because I hope it will help my hair a bit.

SweetPea88
September 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
No hair vitamins for me! I did take GNC's UltraNourishair for a few months, but stopped taking them after no apparent changes had occurred. I tried to get back on them recently but they just made me break out!

Odile
September 3rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
I take vitamins, but not necessarily for my hair. I take a store-brand Centrum, a B-50 complex (50mg of all the B vitamins), Iron (anemic, and I don't eat much red meat), and at least 2-3x a week Vitamin D3 1000 i.u., and I try to remember to take my Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement too. That one I forget a lot.

Have I noticed a difference in my hair? Not really. It seems to grow about the same as it has. My nails grow pretty much as they have. I do feel like I have more energy than I did, but that might be because my anemia is corrected now.

pinkprincess
September 4th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I don't. I did try taking kelp but it gave me stomach-ache. I'm not sure if I'm the only one...?

lind01
September 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I take an amazing multi powder called Green Magma. I take it for health, but I notice my hair and nails grow faster when I take it. Think I need to go take some now!

rockkcor
September 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I stared some vitamines about month ago, but i stopped and now I am finishing them all... I wonder if it would result in some progress...
Well - I'll see...

Melein
September 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I take a multivitamin, kelp, biotin, and silica - I notice slightly decreased shedding when I remember to take them regularly - which isn't as often as I'd like!

Akiko
September 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I take Centrum for my health in general as well as 500mg calcium.

30isthenewblack
September 9th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I wanted to add that when you take vitamins for your hair, you need to at least give it three months to get into your system & for you to start seeing a difference.

Gecko
September 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I started taking vitamins for my hair, but when I asked my mom for the vitamins she had me take others. I take them everyday in the morning and night. I take a multivitamin, green tea, msm, biotin, flaxseed, borage oil, calcium, magnesium, vitamin b complex, and vitamin e. I take a lot! I've only noticed that my nails are healthier....

Dafne
September 9th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I don't, I believe that a healthy diet is more than enough.

LadyMoon11
September 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I voted yes, religiously, though I take vitamins not only for my hair.
Anyway, I take a very good multivitamin, GNC's NourisHair and an Iron supplement daily (I easily become anemic).
I have done this since the birth of my second son (about two years) and I began noticing a large difference in my energy level and mental health (I suffer from depression) as well as my hair growth. So I cannot say if the vitamins help my hair grow faster or better, since it seems as if my hair may be healthier and growing better since my whole body is healthier overall.

Gray
September 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I've tried off and on, but I'm a horrible pill taker. I'll do it for three or four days in a row, then forget for a month. My doctor gets mad at me, since the bc method she proscribed is the pill :rolleyes: I'm also supposed to take iron supplements for anemia. Overall, I'm doing good if I take a daily multi once a week, lol.

Aside from that, b complex vitamins make me nauseous, so hair vitamins are probably out in any case.

LaurelSpring
September 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I just found this site. There are some good deals.

http://www.vitacost.com/

chotee
September 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
i started taking pro-biotics and liquorice for heartburn and realised that supplements are afterall not that bad!. But, its important to take it carefully not overdosing i guess. I have a few natural supplements like amla, brewer's yeast, liquorice, kelp tablets, psylium and a herbal women's formula with dong quai, milk thistle etc which i take for 10 days before my periods. The other vitamins include a multi, a calcium, hair vitamin, b-complex. I don't take all of them every day. A supplement is a supplement whether herbal or not its dosage is high. I give breaks in between. But they defenitely help my skin, hair and energy!

Pixidust
September 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't take any specifically for hair, but I do try to take a multi-vitamin everyday. Unfortunately, I forget half the time...

dulce-de-leche
September 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I chose "When I remember" but I think that I have to change that to "Religiously"now since I have gotten used to poppin' pills.I started taking Bargellos vitamin regimen.

GNC ultra hair-nourish
MSM(methylsulfonylmethane)
Flaxseed oil
Calcium
Biotin
Evening Primerose oil

I didn't get the silica because I wasn't able to find it so next time I reoder from GNC I will order it from there also.My nails are groing so fast and so much thicker.I started noticing a few more grey hairs growing here and there but since taking these supplements I've noticed that the roots of the greys are turning black(yeah:cheese:)

dulce-de-leche
September 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I forgot to add that my skin looks great too

Medvssa
September 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I take a multivitamin, and it helps with the shedding (I think this is iron related, my multivitamin has iron)

Reptilia
September 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I said no, but probably should. I have no idea WHAT to take. I'm vegetarian, but I carefully plan meals to get the recommended daily intake of vitamins through food. But, since going veg my nails grow MUCH faster and very, very strong. So I assume it's having a good effect on my hair too.

Arctic_Mama
September 18th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I take folic acid, fish and flax seed oil. I should add biotin in, that's a good idea!

BunnyBee
September 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I bought some holland & barratt skin hair and nails tablets but they were HUGE! I have trouble taking pills so I wasted a fiver lol
I bought some regular multivitamins and took the first one today so we shall see if that makes any difference.

Miss Hidley
September 26th, 2008, 01:54 PM
has anyone tried either hair formula 37 or hairtopia? I'm looking for a single product thats easy to take - maybe you can recommend something?

curls2grow
September 26th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I was looking into these years ago, when I first started growing my hair longer. Basically the input that I got was that these are a very expensive commitment in the long run and a good hair/skin/nails formula (or other supplements like biotin, etc.) could yield similar results at a much reduced price. I never bought the hairtopia or F37.

Speckla
September 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I take Biotin, B12, B6, B1, and MSM everyday for my hair and I've seen stellar growth.
________
Ford Forty-Nine Picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Forty-Nine)

Speckla
September 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
http://images39.fotki.com/v1226/photos/1/1199357/6279962/000_1779-vi.jpghttp://images27.fotki.com/v991/photos/1/1199357/5265638/000_1045-vi.jpg

This is one year's worth of growth. It's longer if you pull my hair straight.
________
Vaporizer (http://twitter.com/vaporizer)

liselle
September 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
has anyone tried either hair formula 37 or hairtopia? I'm looking for a single product thats easy to take - maybe you can recommend something?

I took them for 6months. Cost me a fortune. Never saw spectacular results really.

I'm taking 2 Prenatals daily now, with great succes (Elevit Brand)......at 1/3 of the price.

Yes, save your money.:)

HairyCarrie
September 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM
My morning meds are a big part of my breakfast since the first two are big and there are so many pills to take... :rolleyes:

Trader Joe's Salmon Oil <-- for hair benefits
Trader Joe's Women's Vitamin <-- Hair Nails Skin
Trader Joe's Ginkgo Biloba <-- for memory/can't remember why I think I need it
Blood pressure med
Anti-inflammatory

30isthenewblack
September 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
This is one year's worth of growth. It's longer if you pull my hair straight.

Wow! Great progress Speckla!

Miss Hidley
September 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I was looking into these years ago, when I first started growing my hair longer. Basically the input that I got was that these are a very expensive commitment in the long run and a good hair/skin/nails formula (or other supplements like biotin, etc.) could yield similar results at a much reduced price. I never bought the hairtopia or F37.

I took them for 6months. Cost me a fortune. Never saw spectacular results really.

I'm taking 2 Prenatals daily now, with great succes (Elevit Brand)......at 1/3 of the price.

Yes, save your money.:)

cool thanks I was hoping someone would say that... postage and customs from the US costs me a mint, and it would be a shame to find out the hard way that it wasn't worth it. Scams are so tempting for us hair-desperados!!

Miss Hidley
September 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
PS Speckla you have really awesome hair! Its grown heaps and the curls still look great- well done!

Speckla
September 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
PS Speckla you have really awesome hair! Its grown heaps and the curls still look great- well done!

Thank you! It gets curlier as it gets longer. I've noticed a lot of growth since starting the biotin. I like it better than cheese. :cheese::eyebrows:
________
Vaporgenie reviews (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

Auntbeast
September 29th, 2008, 11:02 PM
After reading this thread I was curious about the pre-natal vitamins. During my pregnancy, my hair was amazing. I know part of it is the raging hormones, but I've often wondered if I don't just do better in general with the pre-natals. I'm always hovering around anemia and have always had paper thin nails. I have no idea what effect the vitamins may have had on my nails, because if the Gods didn't want me to have nails, he wouldn't have put Tony (the best nail guy ever) on the planet.

I'm one of those sporadic vitamin users. My pregnancy was the ONLY time I ever took them regular...Hey, do you think my husband would fall for the "I'm trying to grow my hair, lets have another kid!" story? :)

Picabo
September 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Yes when I remember I take MSM or other vitamins.

vidgrl007
October 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM
I've cut down on my vitamins and seem better growth.

Now I only take hsn,msm,c ,e, multi vit/mineral suppliment.

Maybe I was getting to much of a good thing lol. :D

azahar
October 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm taking Silicea (twice a day). I would like to start with MSM.

Radulfr
October 1st, 2008, 11:51 AM
No, but I probably should.

My hair hasn't shown much growth in a long time. Never tried vitamins for it.

Forever_Sophie
October 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Religiously. I used to use Vitamin World's Mega Vitamins for the Hair but right now I'm just using an iron supplement (very necessary for me) + a multivitamin. Both affect my hair, so there's a link....After reading Pariate's response, I'm about to add MSM! (Thanks, Pariate!)

Tsevoth
October 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
yes, when I remember.
I also take the Dutch "huid, haar en nagels", well it just contains a lot of silica to put it simple.

curls2grow
October 1st, 2008, 03:46 PM
I've recently added spirulina capsules to my daily multi and other supplements that I take. I think it's helping my hair (more shine, feels thicker and less dry, seems to be on a bit of a growth spurt), with no adverse side effects (like acne, etc.).

dulce-de-leche
October 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Just thought I'd drop in and fill you in on my hair progress with all my supplements(Bargellos hair regimen)I started taking for about a month 1/2.Since then my hair has gown 1"1/4 I think that's alot especially when my hair took forever to grow.I didn't believe it the 1st time so I made my husband measure 2 more times and it was true !!!!yeah!!!!

toocurly
October 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
Religiously. Complex of vitamins from group B.

NeilTheFuzz
October 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM
I don't take vitamins specifically for my hair. But I do take a multivitamin that I believe has a vitamin that helps out your nails and hair. It's not something I HAVE to do for myself though.

vidgrl007
October 2nd, 2008, 05:44 AM
I've recently added spirulina capsules to my daily multi and other supplements that I take. I think it's helping my hair (more shine, feels thicker and less dry, seems to be on a bit of a growth spurt), with no adverse side effects (like acne, etc.).

You are lucky you can take them.I took them for a month and had the worst gas:D and the weirdest dreams.

After I quit the spiruila my funky dreams and gas stopped.yay:)

I tried leichen and got the weird dreams. no gas lol.

I would like to try kelp next but don't want to have the weird dreams or gas:D.

curls2grow
October 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
I've had no issues with either of those on the spirulina. Luckily! :)

Tami86
October 2nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Religiously! I take Perfectil for Hair Skin and Nails, and an Iron supplement. Might start taking MSM soon.

Tapioca
October 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
I take vitamins, but not specifically for hair.

Centrum chewables - contains all the normal multivitamin goodness.
Viactiv - because I'm horrible about getting enough dairy.
Fish oil - supposed to be good for the hair, but I take it for my arthritis.

I was taking biotin for a while, but it made me break out massively, so I tossed it in the swap box.

plainjanegirl
October 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I need to start taking some vitamins. Might help with the hair loss.
Recently I bought some biotin (it was inexpensive) but I only took a pill for a couple days....I don't really know what a good amout is to take daily.
Yesterday I was doing some online searching and read an article about a tv star ( don't remember who) but since she had to have a really short cut for a movie to get her hair to grow she takes 3 Flinstones vitamins a day and laughs but says it works....I always have children's vitamins on hand.
Here is a link I found too, but I do not have the money for this right now....but it does have a 30 day money back gaurantee. http://www.naturalwellbeing.com/hair-growth-p34.cfm?__utma=1.3893676667086685000.1225137445.12 25137445.1225137445.2&__utmb=1.0.10.1225137445&__utmc=1&__utmx=1.00002686740732260022:1:0&__utmz=1.1225137445.1.1.utmgclid=CIXWxe-ZyJYCFQNHFQodYwLfyA|utmccn=(not%20set)|utmcmd=(not %20set)&__utmv=-&__utmk=137712432

teacher_mom2
October 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I used to take these liquid vitamins from "To Your Health". You can only buy them online. I heard about them on a Dallas christian radio station. Anyway, I noticed when I took them, my hair and nails grew like crazy. My nails grew almost faster than I could bite them off! (I know, nasty habit). I bought some a few weeks ago and take it nightly. Last week, I started taking Wally World's Hair, Skin, and Nails because it has stuff like gelatin and MSM in it. I am going to take these faithfully. I have also cut back on my daily caffeine intake - I love coffee.

By the way, the To Your Health vitamins taste pretty good to me. I've tasted other liquid vitamins that made me GAG. This has a fruit-punch-y flavot.

Gumball
October 28th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I'm a regular vitamin taker. For my hair I take a biotin supplement. I stopped for a little while when the grocery store I go to stopped stocking it. Since then I've found another nearby place that carries it. I've been entertaining the thought of adding in MSM, too, especially since I hear it's good for joints. I've got some knee issues so if it results in that then that would be a double excellent choice!

Debra83
October 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I take TONS of vitamins and have for years, but just started taking 2 additional supplements: Holista's Hair, Skin, and Nails formula which I buy online, and another called Recovery (for sports injuries and other probs - but has tons of MSM which is great for your hair as well.) Vitamins help my general well-being as I'm early 40's and have 2 1/2 jobs and belong to a bowling league, and have a 17 year old son!!! : )

plainjanegirl
October 29th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I used to take these liquid vitamins from "To Your Health". You can only buy them online. I heard about them on a Dallas christian radio station. Anyway, I noticed when I took them, my hair and nails grew like crazy. My nails grew almost faster than I could bite them off! (I know, nasty habit). I bought some a few weeks ago and take it nightly. Last week, I started taking Wally World's Hair, Skin, and Nails because it has stuff like gelatin and MSM in it. I am going to take these faithfully. I have also cut back on my daily caffeine intake - I love coffee.

By the way, the To Your Health vitamins taste pretty good to me. I've tasted other liquid vitamins that made me GAG. This has a fruit-punch-y flavot.

Do you have a link for the liquid vitamins? How much do they cost??

teacher_mom2
October 31st, 2008, 07:28 PM
http://www.lpvitamins.com/
Here is the website. They are around $35 for a month supply. They also have vitamins for weight and joint health. I haven't used those yet.

neon-dream
October 31st, 2008, 07:30 PM
Yes, religiously!
They're called 'MEGA vitamins for the hair'
From Holland & Barret :)
They've made my hair noticably shinier and I have less breakage, so I'm quite pleased with them :)!
xxx

Shufro
December 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Im taking silica and zinc or zink haha dunno how to spell it =) Ive been taking them for a 1,5 month =)

lyria
December 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I try to remember, but I also think they make my skin break out so I am less enthusiastic about them now than I was when I started. I may have to give up and go back to the plain old multivitamin!

eaglefeather71
December 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I take a whole food Multi-Vitamin, a Green Food and Fiber Supplement, and drink lots of whole raw milk, and eat Salmon, and Eggs often for Omega 3 and other nutrients. This is all for Health, but My hair, skin and nails are LOVING it!

morguebabe
December 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I take 100mg of flaxseed oil, 1300 mg of evening primrose oil, 1000mcg of biotin, I also take B6, B12 and Calcuim.
And yes. I think it makes a difference.

cobblersmaid
December 5th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I said cheese. I don't take any, and I don't plan on starting, as I am not too keen on the idea of taking vitamins in general.

Johanna64
December 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
No,I don't take vitamins for my hair,but I try to eat healthy.
And every day I take some bee-pollen.

http://www.alternativescentral.com/beepollen.htm

dancingbarefoot
December 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I tried vitamins a few years ago - some of the typical ones suggested for hair - but they did nothing for me. My hair didn't grow faster or change in quality, so I considered a waste of money and stopped taking them. :twocents:

Buddaphlyy
December 5th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I used to take biotin, but I hated swallowing the pills and I was constantly forgetting to take them. Now I have some chewable kid vitamins (no one laugh please). But once I finish with this jar, I think I will take a break from vitamins and focus more on my diet and if I still don't see an improvement, then I will start back with the vitamins.

Angelina15
December 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I just recently started taking biotin and flaxseed oil along with my regular fish oil tablets and caltrate. I can't say if the biotin makes a difference yet, but I sure hope so!!

Melisande
December 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I began my vitamin regimen only 1.5 months ago but I take the stuff religiously. I bought a pillbox like my grandma used to have that I feill once a week. It's propped against the water bottle next to the exit from my bathroom. I made it a habit to drink everytime I get out of the bathroom, and having the pills already there makes it easy to remember taking them at the right time (the pillbox has four compartments for each day of the week). I thought I'd mention this because I never succeeded in taking supplements for longer than, um, two days? before.

I take
1 Centrum Mulitivitamin with Ginseng and Biloba,
1 Solgar Magnesium, Calcium & Zinc,
2 MSM,
1 fish oil,
1 flax oil,
2 St. John's Wort,

and I'll start Evening Primrose next week, too. I consider adding Biotin (but it's in the Centrum so I don't know whether it's worth it) and brewer's yeast (which I took many years ago and didn't do a thing then - maybe two days was not enough after all.....???).

My husband started taking the MV and fish oil as well.

It's too early to say what it does for us. But I do feel I have stronger fingernails, and have to measure my hair growth...

Gothic Lolita
December 7th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I've noticed faster growing and also stronger fingernails after starting the multi about a month ago. I don't measure my hair so I can't say something about it.

I just read another article about UV rays and skin absorbing it for Vitamin D synthesis. It said that covering skin all the time with clothing and SPF has lead to a lack of Vitamin D in general. Now I wonder if there is a way not to damage the skin too much through sun exposure, but also getting enough Vitamin D, without having to take 100&#37; through a supplement.

Tangles
December 7th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I don't think I would be where I am if I weren't taking Biotin. I' m almost at upper BSL now and 6 months ago I was barely at shoulder.

LawyerGirl
December 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Since I joined LHC I have been taking a hair/skin/nails multi (x3, which is the recommended dose) and flax oil... I was taking MSM for a while, and while it did wonders for my hair, it made me really emotional, so I stopped taking it when I read online that it was linked to depression. I recently started taking a ginko/royal jelly supplement and evening primrose (I read that it helped with the breakouts, which had gotten much worse since I started with the supplements). I also may start the MSM again (and only take 1/3 of the recommended dose).

I don't measure my hair (short hair is hard to measure!) but you can see from my siggy pics how my hair has grown since I started LHC in October!

Beloved
December 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I just read another article about UV rays and skin absorbing it for Vitamin D synthesis. It said that covering skin all the time with clothing and SPF has lead to a lack of Vitamin D in general. Now I wonder if there is a way not to damage the skin too much through sun exposure, but also getting enough Vitamin D, without having to take 100% through a supplement.

Oily fish are the only good dietary source of Vit D3. The problem is, the new research says we actually need 5-10xs the amount of vit D3 the experts thought previously. So there isn't a good option to taking a D3 supplement. We need 5000 IU per day from a supplement, in the winter.

This website has a wealth of good research, with real citations to peer-reviewed articles. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Gothic Lolita, your hair is like liquid copper. I feel like I could swim in it, lol. Do you use a henna or anything?

speakyword
December 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I started taking megafood's women's daily vitamin just because I felt I needed it... and because I really seem to process their vitamins well (they aren't just powdered vitamin dust from china they are all food sourced blended for absorbtion [sp?] so you can take them on an empty stomach) I tried their blood builder formula because I was having a real problem with iron and not being able to absorb it from many suppliments and I was so happy with it I decided to try their women's multivitamin... I've noticed tons of awesome results including that my hair seems to be growing way faster... it was growing about 1/4 inch a month and it seems to have almost doubled in rate.. However I'm not measuring right now as I have some confusing and problematic layers, so I'll have to wait until I start measuring for a few months to be sure

CaraLynn
December 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I read that 30 mg of zinc a day was good for hair growth so I got a multi-vitamin that had that much in it. :shrugs: dunno if it'll work or not.

I'll let you know! :)

Igor
December 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Gothic Lolita: You dont need more than 15 minutes outside with just underarms and face exposed (As in; wearing a T-shirt) to get enough D-vitamin just from the sun

jesamyn
December 7th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I answered cheese. :) I take a multi-vitamin when I remember and a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement, but not specifically for my hair.

flapjack
December 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I take biotin most of the time and in the past 3 years, I have used it for 2 years and not used it for 1 year. I know there is a difference in my growth rate when I take it. It does grow faster, plain and simple. Not at light speed, but I would say about 0.75-1 inch per month instead of the usual 0.25-0.5 inch per month.

I also take evening primrose oil, mostly for girly issues like PMS and it's a huge help for both that and it's cleared up every last bit of my cystic/hormonal acne for the past 8 months, which has made me so much happier and at ease with... my face. Haha. But no change in the hair. Doesn't matter.

Other than that, it's the daily multivitamin, good diet and sometimes extra vitamin C when I'm sick.

sahiba
December 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM
No, I think oiling and correct dose of LHC is doing good for me for now .;)

Gothic Lolita
December 8th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Gothic Lolita, your hair is like liquid copper. I feel like I could swim in it, lol. Do you use a henna or anything?

Thanks, Beloved! That's so nice, now I'm blushing in front of my computer! Yes, I henna gloss, only for about an hour, but my natural color is nearly the same, only less bright.

LaurelSpring
December 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I got some knox at Walmart yesterday. Anybody that uses gelatin. How much do you take? I had an envelope this morning. What works the best?

JamieLeigh
December 10th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I usually take the GNC variety "Hair, Skin & Nails Formula". It contains 3000 mg of Biotin, green tea, evening primrose oil, collagen, and many other things that sound impressive, LOL. I also take daily multi-vitamin (Centrum), and a prescribed vitamin due to osteoporosis.

I've heard some good things about acidophilus recently...does anyone else know anything about this?

dreamhair
December 11th, 2008, 10:12 AM
No, not for my hair. I do take vitamins and extra C and immune boosting stuff when I need it. Never thought to take any for just my hair.

helen2806
December 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I have been taking a general multivitamins & minerals for the last 2 yrs (on mother's orders since I left home lol) but this week I started taking Holland & Barrett's supplement for skin, hair and nails - because it was on special offer I thought I might as well... it's only been a few days but my skin seems nicer already so I'm really hoping it works as well for my hair!

Sissy
December 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I take my GNC Women's Ultra Multi-Vitamin (which contains many of the same ingredients as GNC Nourishair from what I've been told) and I also take GNC Biotin 600 mcg and GNC Triple Fish Oil Omega Three and some Nordic Naturals COmplete Omega-369 :o I think fish oils have helped and I haven't been taking Biotin long enough to notice growth, but I have a lot of faith in it.

CestMadeleine
December 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I take 2 capsules of fish oil a day, 1 centrum multivitamin, and folic acid.

So far so good. :)

Beloved
December 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Gothic Lolita: You dont need more than 15 minutes outside with just underarms and face exposed (As in; wearing a T-shirt) to get enough D-vitamin just from the sun

There are only certain times of day when the sunlight is the right wavelength to allow your body to make vitamin D. There are parts of Europe where there is a "vitamin D winter" for 6 months out of the year, where there is basically no opportunity for your body to make vitamin D from natural sunlight because the wavelength is wrong.

lavenderblue
December 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
no I don't, I do take a multivitamin for pregnant women and it contains biotin, I don't want to take anything extra than pregnancy vitamins (however, maybe I get a baby with hair if I do this time, my son was bald for a year :D)

BetterInBlue
December 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I voted no. I don't take anything specifically for my hair. I used to take biotin or a hair vitamin that contains biotin, but I swear that biotin messes with my menstrual cycle (I'll be creating a thread about this shortly). My doctor thinks I'm crazy, but I'm convinced that it causes me to miss periods, at least in the doses I was taking (anywhere from 1000mcg-2500mcg).

I take a multivitamin and evening primrose oil. I also take an Airborne and honey cocktail daily, but have been getting forgetful about that lately. It's an immunity booster thing - I substitute teach. It hasn't stopped me from getting colds, of course, but it helps reduce the sickness time when I take it in conjunction with zinc lozenges.

BiggHair
December 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Yes everyday I take Vitamin Shoppe hair,skin, and nails. I have recently been taking garlic to reduce shedding and for general good health.

AJoifulNoise
December 14th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I was taking a women's one-a-day for a while. I probably should be taking it still (for more than my hair). But, I have a hard enough time remembering to take my prescription meds. :rolleyes:

rapunzhell13
December 14th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I've just started taking vitamins for nails hair and skin. Hopefully they're worth the price tag!

Shadow
December 15th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I take Nourkrin, it always makes my hair grow faster. It is expensive but I've found that when I try to buy seperate bottles of the ingredients I end up having to take more pills more often to get the same concentration and results so The Nourkrin is easier for me. I know it works and it's only two tablets a day once a day so it's easy to remember.

Chia Pet
December 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
I don't really believe in the effectiveness of vitamins because/therefore I forget to take them, but when I saw women with long thick gorgeous hair and then someone told me that these and other women had been taking spirulina post pardem, and had noticed the improvement in their hair, I have since taken spirulina almost religiously. I feel more energized and I do believe it has helped my hair. Spirulina looks nasty and smells like dead fish.

I tried taking prenatal vitamins one time as well but just couldn't be consistent. I had more fun from other people's reactions

Payal80
December 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Doc prescribed me Iron and Vitamin E tablets which helped me get control on my hairloss
But i take those whenever I remember it or atleast once in a day.

EvaSimone
December 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I don't take any vitamins. My hair seems to be coming along fine without them. I wish I was one of the people who religiously took vitamins but I just can't seem to remember.

venividibxtchy
December 24th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I haven't taken them long enough to see results.

Discipline is my arch-nemesis.

Allegra
December 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I take a multi-vitamin, B-complex and MSM.
Some months I'll add Silica and an Amino Acid complex (they're more expensive supplements, so on lean months i give them a skip).
I notice the biggest improvements in my hair from the B-complex though.

BetterInBlue
December 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I don't really believe in the effectiveness of vitamins because/therefore I forget to take them, but when I saw women with long thick gorgeous hair and then someone told me that these and other women had been taking spirulina post pardem, and had noticed the improvement in their hair, I have since taken spirulina almost religiously. I feel more energized and I do believe it has helped my hair. Spirulina looks nasty and smells like dead fish.

I tried taking prenatal vitamins one time as well but just couldn't be consistent. I had more fun from other people's reactions

I'd never heard of this before. I googled it, and it sounds interesting. I've heard that kelp is good for good for hair, but kind of hard to find in supplements. Is it supposed to be similar to this? What brand of spirulina do you buy? Like I said earlier, I'm goin with just multivitamins for awhile, but I'm always on the lookout for new things. :eyebrows: Thanks!

iriska
December 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
i'm finishing my boots "hair, nails, skin" vitamins...and will probably switch to hair vitamins by oenobiol that i already have in stock... i didn't really notice amazing hair changes so far, but it works wonders on my nails !

Speckla
December 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'm going to repost: Yes, yes, yes! My hair was falling out before and breaking off. My hair is now thicker, healthier looking, and growing fast/long.
________
Volcano vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/volcano-vaporizer.html)

plainjanegirl
December 26th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I'm going to repost: Yes, yes, yes! My hair was falling out before and breaking off. My hair is now thicker, healthier looking, and growing fast/long.

And what are you taking?

curls2grow
December 27th, 2008, 02:13 PM
BetterInBlue, I've been taking spirulina for several months and I think there's been a difference in my hair, too. And it has nothing to do with postpartum in my case (unless it's a very delayed reaction 14.5 years later :D ). A friend of mine was taking kelp for her hair and then started taking spirulina instead -- and I didn't know she'd switched -- until one day I complimented her on her hair (which was previously thinning and her scalp showed in a few areas in front). Then she told me she was taking spirulina instead, and I figured I needed to try it, since I've felt that my hair is thinning. I take it in capsule form and it does have a fishy scent. I do take other vitamins and supplements as well.

Twitter
December 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I take vitamins everyday..not necessarily for my hair, but they can't hurt I suppose.

30isthenewblack
December 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I posted about the hair vitamins that I am using before ie QSilica and Figaro Hair Food. I started using them on May 10 2008 when my hair was 25" and it's now 30". 5" of growth in seven months isn't bad!

Speckla
December 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM
And what are you taking?

Flexamin with Chondritian and MSM, Biotin, B complex, a liquid multi that has *everything* in it, and extra coral calcium.
________
Montana dispensary (http://montana.dispensaries.org/)

Misha
December 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I take a good multi, calcium, and the hair vitamin Nutricap. My growth has increased by about 50&#37;.

curls2grow
December 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I take a good multi, calcium, and the hair vitamin Nutricap. My growth has increased by about 50%. Where do you buy Nutricap?

Misha
December 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hi curls2grow,

Here in Canada, Nutricap can be purchased at some (not all) Shoppers Drug Mart stores. It can also be purchased online at Well.ca, they ship to Canada and USA. There is also an Ebay vendor - "healthbeautysupplies", who sells this, and ships worldwide.

I have used Nutricap for months and have had super results. My growth rate used to be a steady 1/2 inch per month, now it's usually 3/4 inch, sometimes a bit more! I have had lots of new hairs growing in, at this time if I don't have it slicked back into a tidy bun then I have a major halo effect going on. And shedding has decreased a lot. It has worked very well for me.

I have tried the GNC hair and nail formula and did not see any results, although I believe that others have reported good results.

curls2grow
December 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Misha. That's really helpful info. I am going to check it out. Sounds like a good product!

Misha
December 28th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Your welcome!
:)

BetterInBlue
December 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks, curls2grow! Now I'm wanting to try it, though I'd prefer to have some kind of supplement that I can pick up at the grocery store. Cost is a concern to me, too, though it sounds like spirulina has some added health benefits (I'm always in need of energy), so that may make it more worth it to me. Thanks again!

ratgirldjh
January 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
i have tried something else though - i don't know which section to post this in. i sometimes take a packet of emergen-c vitamin drink mix and mix it in a liter of water and pour it through my hair and let it sit a minute and rinse it out.
my hair loves this - and it makes it shiny and tangle free. emergen-c contains citric acid and also a lot of other vitamins and minerals - so i don't know if this is a good thing to do or if it will eventually cause a build up of the minerals on my hair - so i don't do it often.
it is a quick fix for shiny hair though - even the ends are soft afterwards.
has anyone else tried this?

BetterInBlue
January 2nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
I had to bite my tongue. I found spirulina at Wal-mart of all places. It is made by Rexall, who I generally trust when it comes to supplements - they've been around for a long time, and I always buy Rexall melatonin when I can find it. Anyway, I don't really know how much quality varies among brands when it comes to spirulina (I was going to wait and buy from GNC), but I figured I'd give this a try.

Lena43
May 1st, 2009, 02:23 AM
I only take Biotin at the moment, I'm not sure it really helps my hair grow, but since I bought it I take it (unless i forget it, which is not too often at the moment).

lynnala
May 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM
I hate swallowing pills, especially big, stinky vitamin pills! They make me gag. I just try to have a very healthy diet.

Rapunzal2Be
May 2nd, 2009, 04:07 AM
I take a prenatal which covers my multi-vitamin needs plus folic acid, biotin, and extra iron, a DHA/Omega supplement that came with the prenatals, garlic, and MSM. I also take extra ecchinacea and Vitamin C when I'm feeling under the weather.

Before I took these prenatals (I like to switch it up) I took a regular women's multi, and then folic acid and biotin separately.

mira-chan
May 2nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
I take them when I remember. I tend to be a bit forgetful.

viking_quest
May 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I used to take cod liver oil but I ran out and never bought more. I should start using it again along with a multi-vitamin. The only thing that's stopping me is the pills. I like chewable pills because I hate swallowing them.

Nanni
May 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
YES!! I take them every day, but sometimes I forget.
I take fishoil, a multivitamin, MSM, and silica.
And the most important thing besides vitamins; Scalp massage!!!

nayver
May 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I just bought some vitamins from Solaray, they're called Hair Nutrients. Price? 15 euros for 60 pills :D I hope they work!

The ingredients are: L-Cysteine; Inositol ; Choline Bitartrate ; PABA (as Para-Aminobenzoic acid) ; Iron; Zinc; Biotin ; Vitamin C; Vitamin B-2; Vitamin B-6 ;Manganese ;Pantothenic Acid Thiamin (B-1) Niacinamide ;Folic Acid ; and Vitamin A.

LadyDi
May 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I take a Women's multi and Fish Oil when I remember to. I also have Biotin and MSM as well, but I hardly remember those. The more pills, the more likely I will forget them. I'm thinking of trying a hair, skin and nail specific vitamin so I can just get it all in one!

Flamelily
May 4th, 2009, 11:34 PM
My hair has been shedding Madly and the last month or so I have started taking a nails hair and skin supplement... my chinese medicine dude also has me on supplements.. dont know if its working yet, will let you know in a couple of months! :D

redneckprincess
May 7th, 2009, 04:57 AM
prenatals, biotin, just added gelatin in the mix

what is this MSM everyone takes I have seen it in the stores but what I have seen is for joint pain, is that the same thing? what does it do for hair, can I mix it with my other pills?

rach
May 7th, 2009, 06:10 AM
i was giving boitin a trail , as i've recently had problems with my nails, they were getting soo brittle and just refused to grow and boitin helps both hair and nails (which i saw reading a tread on LHC) :) . so far my nails have recovered and my leg hairs are growing allot - didn't think of that at the time, that would happen. lol
think we'll keep going with boitin:D

enfys
May 7th, 2009, 07:15 AM
For the past 3 months: Boots own brand Hair, Skin & Nails

For the past three weeks: Biotin, Silica, MSM and Evening Primrose oil.

I'm pretty religious about it because I know it won't work if I'm not. After my wedding I'm only going to take the H, S & N because I can't afford to take so many long term!

Coupled with Sally Hansens formaldehyde enriched nail goop they're growing for the first time ever at a fast rate, my back and face are breaking out in spots for the first time since I was 13 and my hair doesn't seem to be growing faster than the 1" and a bit it was just with H, S & N. I'll try it for a few months solid before giving up, but maybe the multivitamin was just enough.

Igor
May 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
what is this MSM everyone takes I have seen it in the stores but what I have seen is for joint pain, is that the same thing? what does it do for hair, can I mix it with my other pills?

MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane)
MSM is promoted as a natural source of sulphur by the supplement and health food industry, suggesting that people are deficient in sulphur intake. However, protein in the diet is an abundant source of sulphur, which is contained in the amino acids methionine and cysteine. The efficacy of MSM has been questioned and clinical research on the medical use of the chemical is limited to a few pilot studies that have suggested beneficial effects. The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects. The published clinical trials of MSM did not report any serious side-effects of treatment, but there are no peer-reviewed data on the effects of long-term use in humans
People on longhair forums have reported that it helps to decrease hair fall out. It is claimed that MSM does this by making the growth stage of the hair longer and the shedding cycle shorter. The growth faze is genetically determined though but it is possible that it makes the shedding cycle shorter. It is true that sulphur is a main component in hair's structure so taking it as a supplement can’t hurt.
You may take up to 2000mg/day.
Warnings: Some people have linked MSM to depression! You should be aware of this when taking this supplement.

simply_me
May 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I take GNC's hair skin and nails vitamins and flax seed oil. Haven't taken them long enough to see a difference in my hair but I definitely see a difference in my nails so I'm hoping to see a difference in my hair.

Anje
May 7th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I said "yes, when I remember," but it's not exactly accurate. I take vitamins when I remember, but they're more for general health than specifically for my hair. Multi, Ca, Mg, Zn, VitD, and VitC are my usual ones. Recently I've increased the dose of D from 400-600 IU per day to closer to 2000 IU. D-3's pretty hard to overdose on, and since there's talk of raising the RDA, I've decided to increase my dose.

Melisande
May 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I still tweak my nutritional supplements. I started taking multivitamins and fish oil in October, and have since then added MSM (made a great difference in my overall health), Celadrin (for health reasons), evening primrose oil, MagnesiumCalciumZinc. I replaced the evening primrose oil with borrage oil but I'll go back to the evening primrose. I also took biotin but stopped it again.

My hair growth increased after I started this regimen, then I stalled, and now I'm back to normal. Maybe I should take up the biotin again.

I put my supplements in a pill box that I keep next to my bathroom door, next to a water bottle that I fill in the mornings. Whenever I come from the toilet, I drink water and take a pill. I don't forget it with this method. I'm very happy with my regime and haven't felt better in years.

enfys
May 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Warnings: Some people have linked MSM to depression! You should be aware of this when taking this supplement.

Oh rats! I didn't want to read that. :(

Melisande
May 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I take St. John's Wort, too - I didn't know about the MSM-depression connection and had no problesm with it at all, but the St. John's Wort might counteract it...

Longlocks3
May 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I just started taking vitamins for my hair. I bought some Biotin and while it says I can take anywhere from one to five a day with a meal I'm going to see how it goes with one at first. I also bought some Gummy Vites kids vitamins because, while I just hate the taste of most adult vitamins!

tiamimi
May 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Right now I am taking biotin and my sister's prenatal vitamins (her baby is almost six months old so she doesn't need them). After I get used to taking those on a regular basis I'm going to add flaxseed oil and possibly some MSM.

Cinnamon Hair
May 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM
No because I don't like swallowing pills. Okay, the main reason is my growth/thickness/current length has always seemed fine without them. :shrug: But truly, I hate swallowing pills. :p

Tap Dancer
May 11th, 2009, 07:40 AM
No, I don't. I take vitamins for my health (like a multivitamin, vitamin C, calcium, etc.) but nothing that's meant especially for hair.

inertia
May 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM
No, I don't take vitamins. I tried hair vitamins but quit because they were expensive and didn't seem to make any difference.

ImperfectBrat
May 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Every morning I take a multi vitamin with extra iron (anemia), B-12, Folic Acid and Biotin. I even have a 7 day pill storage thing so I don't have to lug bottles around or think about what I take when.

I want to pick up some chromium and MSM.

BetterInBlue
May 11th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I just started taking vitamins for my hair. I bought some Biotin and while it says I can take anywhere from one to five a day with a meal I'm going to see how it goes with one at first. I also bought some Gummy Vites kids vitamins because, while I just hate the taste of most adult vitamins!

So you can't swallow vitamins? I couldn't swallow pills for the longest time. I think I was 12 when I got over the fear and was able to swallow pills. I was always afraid of choking on them. I don't mind the taste of adult vitamins because, well, they don't taste like anything, unless you mean adult chewable vitamins - I take One-a-Day, and just get a taste of the coating when I swallow it down. I've actually been taking a generic store brand because something with the One-a-Day bothers my stomach.

I also take evening primrose oil and fish oil. These help with my dry skin, depression, and irregular periods. I think they're helping my hair grow a bit faster, too. :eyebrows:

soraya69
May 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I am taking a multivitamin every night. I took Nutricap for 2 months with pretty good results (I think my hair looks better but I am also taking better care of it, but my nails grew fast and my skin looked much better), for the past 4 days I switched to Viviscal so I cannot tell how it's working yet. It's too expensive though and hard to find, so I'll go back to Nutricap. I also take some Krill oil when I remember. I used to take Biosil but I don't think it did much.
Hair still grows slow - 1/4" per month :(

lovelygirl8315
May 27th, 2009, 02:07 AM
i used oenobiol
but it didn't work at all

Locksmith
May 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I've just started taking a Skin/hair/Nails supplement. Not *entirely* just for the sake of my hair... but mostly, if I'm being honest. :D

hazelnut
May 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I don't think I posted here yet, so I'm going to post here now.:). I take vitamins, not only for my hair, but for the purpose of taking supplements for my overall health. (so they might help my hair growth, sue me.:)) The only semi- annoying part about it is I have to take 3 and they're pretty large vitamins.

GoddesJourney
May 27th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Yes, religiously. Regular, Costco brand vitamins every morning. They make my hair grow like crazy and make me feel like I'm at least covering all my bases even though some days I don't eat as nutritiously as others.

Dementia1013
May 28th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I just started taking on a regular basis
E, C, Bitotin, Folic acid and Zinc.

For a mixture of health and hair problems.

eshta
May 29th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I take a multivitamine, a hair and nail supplement and fish oil capsules. I usually have periods of taking them every day but then I forget to take them for a while again. So I voted yes, when I remember.

I don't really take them regularly enough to notice a big difference I guess.

colette
February 23rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
Just started taking perfectil-for hair skin and nails, (been on them for two weeks) and i have noticed a difference, my skin is a lot more oily, not sure if thats a good thing, my nails have grown quicker, and my hair has grown 1 cm in 2 weeks, which is fast for me :) and i dont need to measure the growth, cos i can see it in my roots regrowth!:( good that its growing faster, annoying that i will have to colour my hair more frequently. usually its at this stage 5 weeks after colouring, not 2 weeks, but hey ho, its grown :) x

krissykins
February 23rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
I take Country Life Maxi-Hair vitamins. Those things are pretty hard to swallow *sigh*

skyblue
February 23rd, 2011, 09:00 AM
I take a multi and biotin, I've been taking the biotin for about a year just the one dose of 1000mcg, I notice that my ends don't dry out like they use to, I hadn't trimmed in a long time and still my ends looked pretty good, when before they dried out pretty fast after a trim, that and my nails are a tad bit stronger, nothing in the way of faster growth though...I've been thinking about adding a hair nails and skin tablet but I'm not sure if that would be too much along with a multi so I have stalled on that til I can get more info....is there such a thing as over doing the vitamins????

tigerhearted
February 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I actually started taking pre-natals a year before our wedding, for the express purpose of improving my hair! :o I did notice an improvement in growth, so I guess I must have been deficient in some things. 10 months after the wedding and I am still taking them religiously...but this is because we are hoping to get pregnant lol.

knoxkatie
February 24th, 2011, 10:06 AM
i take biotin and vitamin e. i used to take a b-complex, but it made me nauseous even when i took it with a meal.

knoxkatie
February 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
has anyone noticed any nausea from MSM or silica? i may try to add those to my routine.

also, i notice a major increase in my nail growth when i'm good about taking my biotin.

Joliebaby
February 24th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Yes! I take

*omega fatty acid supplement
*D-vitamin 10 000 IU
*always either a multivitamin or a hair-skin-nails multivitamin (just got Country Life Maxi-hair, before this it was Natrol shen min, before that a twinlab prenatal)
*B-complex with 1000 mg C-vit
*probiotics
*n-acetyl-cysteine
* n-acetyl-tyrosine
*just got biotin too, have taken this before but not in a long time

*I drink a chlorella-spirulina-wheat grass drink, which I love and DD2 drinks it too :)

I also sometimes try out a new vitamin or supplement, like I took wheat germ oil capsules for a while and just ran out of them. Omegas and a multi are a must!! I have taken breaks too when I was just tired of taking anything but I always go back.

CAPA7
February 24th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I voted "yes, religiously".

I take one multivitamin/mineral tablet, 5mg Biotin and 1000mg MSM per day.

BabyRay33
February 24th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I take prenatals-without iron- and silica which is only 7&#37; silica and the rest horsetail and a hair skin and nails vitamin with biotin. I was taking the hair skin and nails 3x a day, but have developed some acne from it (EWW) and decreased it to 2x.

Overall, though, I think my results have been good, but it has been the most visible with my nails. I used to have ridges on them, but now I don't and they are thicker and nicer in general. But if it is affecting my nails, it's got to be helping my hair, right?

Ais
February 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I take a wide array of vitamins and minerals for my health's sake - and to stop me caving under the stress of this year! A pleasing side effect has been increased growth and resilience :) I think it really is worth taking them, I often find things that work from the inside out have the best effect on my hair.

oktobergoud
February 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I take MSM and vitamin B-Complex which includes all kinds of vitamin B, so also biotin. But I bought both of those for my stiff body as well, so not specifically for my hair :)

Angel_099
February 24th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I have been taking prenatal vitamins since the end of '08...had my daughter in '09...and then my son in '10. I'm still currently breastfeeding so I'm still taking them. Since my hair and nails seem to really like it, I will probably continue after I quit breastfeeding. I've been wondering if anyone took prenatal vitamins just for that reason.:)

ladylovecraft
February 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Right now I take:

10,00mcg of Biotin
MSM (a big table spoon full, it's the max dosage)
DE (two big tablespoons a day)
And I also eat coconut oil.. put it in my teas and such... not sure if this helps my hair at all, but it tastes good!!

<3OnHerSleeve
February 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I take: MSM, a multivitamin, evening primrose oil capsule, sea kelp tablet and just recently added a zinc tablet.

einna
February 24th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I voted "yes, when I remember", but I usually do (not just for my hair).
I take brewers yeast in the morning (many B vitamins, protein, minerals) and multivitamins with fish oil at dinner (often just half dose, as I eat pretty healthily).
I have just started on iron supplements, something I take periodically. Sometimes I also take aloe vera juice (bought it for my hair, but did not like it, think I need the gel for that).

ellen732
February 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I voted "yes, religiously", but I have always taken vitamins, even those that make your hair healthy but not necessarily for that purpose.

mustpannkook
February 25th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I do, when I remember to buy them. When I have a bottle of them I take them, when I'm out of them I usually forget to buy another bottle.

aznchck14
February 25th, 2011, 07:14 PM
1 Multivitamin
1 MSM
1 Fish/Flaxseed Oil
2 Biotin
1 Silica
1 Evening Primrose
1 Natrol Skin Hair Nails

Cirafly24
February 26th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Flintstone Multi-vitamin :D
2000 mg MSM
1 mg Biotin
1 tablespoon of DE when I remember

.rabbit.
February 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I do, but I don't know if it is helping them grow faster

nena_shawty
February 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
yes i do when i remember.. at first i i started taking it religiously.. but hen i anly started taking it when i rememberd .. when i was taking the multiv i did see some improvements...of course its still growing and still looks nice and soft shiny even

perizade
February 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I take chewable vitamins. I'm pretty sure my body absorbs them better that way, and I don't get that sick feeling like I do when I swallow giant horse pills, lol. I've been a vitamin freak for a long time, though, so I don't really know if its making a difference to my hair.

vanillabones
February 26th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I've been taking vitamins religiously, my hair as the only motivation really, ha.
I take a prenatal as my multi... I am not pregnant but this multi is said to make you super healthy and help hair growth and is not dangerous if you're not pregnant so I thought I'd give it a try...
I also take 3 hair skin & nails they have made my nails strong and long for the first time in my life it is wonderful :D
and today I started adding 3 Glucosamine Sulfate / MSM pills to my lovely pill salad.

I used to take extra bioton instead of MSM but I am too paranoid my lifelong acne will come back. And supposedly MSM can clear acne. I've been on accutane twice and am afraid by summer I'll need a third round :( so if anybody has any opinions on that I'd be thrilled.

nazzooyzo
February 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
i just do biotin and take a chewable multivitamin. i'm a wimp and can't swallow big pills. if i could i'd take msm (the only ones i've found in shops are HUUUUGE)

Aarlene
February 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I take vitamins in general not just for hair. I haven't noticed much difference in my hair growth. However, I took some Oil of Olay vitamins for short time and there was a visible increase in my hair growth. Unfortunately they quit making them. ARGH! I thought they were great vitamins with no stomach upset at all.

KrissyKitty
February 28th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I just started trying to grow, so I've just started my vitamin regime as well. I'm taking a prenatal for a week, then a chewable multi for a week, switching back and forth. I've heard prenatal vitamins can have too much iron in them if you're not actually pregnant or in need of extra iron. The iron isn't dangerous (I don't think), but it can back you up, so I'm switching back and forth to give my body a break. This is my very unscientific reasoning.

ooo
March 1st, 2011, 03:34 PM
I don't take them often and less than the amount I should take a day. I don't like them much and probably won't buy them again. I think the English name for them is yeast. :confused:

lillyofthecelts
March 2nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
I take a multi vitamin that contains biotin also, beta-carotine, gelatin, and I drink protein shakes as well because I am vegetarian.

GypsyGoddess
March 3rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I have taken Deva vegan HSN vitamins, Natrol HSN vitamins, and am finishing up my second month of GNC's Ultra Nourish-Hair. I consistently take a mix of fenugreek, wild yam and saw palmetto for female issues, and I know that has helped me because I get a lot more pain and cramping when I am not taking the herbs. But the vitamins- I'm not sure if they're helping but I'm a college student and my diet is not so good anyway so I imagine I need them. Have taken biotin, evening primrose oil, chasteberry, fennel, flaxseed oil, etc but I tend to stop taking things once I run out of them. I have some fish oil pills left from my dog that I will probably try to get through (they're people pills but the vet recommended them for my dog before he ended up passing on).

Once the GNC is gone I'm switching back to Deva's Vegan Hair/Skin/Nails vitamins and will add a gummy prenatal for the stuff it lacks. I'm going to start taking MSM as well and I'm hoping that will help because all biotin did for me was make me break out!

Chetanlaiho
March 3rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Religiously xD I take horsetail, MSM, biotin and prenatal ones.

Although the bottle of horsetail capsules says I should take it 3-6 times a day but I just can't manage that so I stick to one. I like to think it still helps that way but I have no clue if it does xD

Chetanlaiho
March 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Ugh if there's an edit button I can't find it >_<

Continuation: I actually really suck at taking pills, and the ones I take for my hair are prettty huge but I'm starting to get used to it xD

I mostly notice difference in my skin and nails but I figure if it improves those than it's at least doing something? xD I managed to finally get past BSL (it was stalling) but I switched a whole lot of other stuff at the same time I started taking vitamins so I'm not sure if they're really doing anything OTL

I suppose we'll find out next year when I'm in college and might not be able to afford them anymore >_<

Malaguena
March 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I take a multivitamin and fish oil capsules daily (religiously, yes), but not just for my hair. My main motivation is my overall health, but I'm happy they help my hair, too :).

LunaMoon
March 5th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I take vitamins but not just for my hair.
These are the ones i am in now:
1 multivitamin pill (centrum)
1 curcumin
1 vit C (1000 gr)
1 fish oil
I Think is good to start thinking about biotin, and others. I am still learning...
I also have a very healthy "mediterrean diet" and drink lots of water, not sure if it can help.
I think so...
Regards!

leandrahime
March 5th, 2011, 02:07 PM
RELIGIOUSLY! I take GNC's UltraNourisHair (2x per day) exclusively for myhair (it's great for my nails, too!)

I also take 2x fish oil and 1 Flax Oil per day (they help with lots of things) and 900 mg calcium +D

In addition, I take a multi, 3x 1000 D, and 800 folic acid

MaiCarInMtl
March 8th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I take vitamins but not necessarily for my hair only. I take a multi-vitamin just to make sure that I get everything in, I also take a biotin every other day and a B50 vitamin every other day too (staggering). I take fish oil on the days where I don't consume any fish. An occasional D vitamin on days when I really feel sluggish (non hair-related).

Safira
March 8th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I take multi-vitamin, biotin, D-vitamin and E-vitamin.

Mesmerise
March 8th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I just ordered some hair vitamins online. I wasn't going to get any yet due to lack of funds...but I became convinced I needed to get some aloe vera gel for an SMT and the brand I wanted was online... well if I spent $75 I got free shipping (which otherwise would have been nearly $10) so I bought a bunch of hair vitamins including a hair, skin and nails one, some silica and some MSM...oh and some Evening Primrose Oil.

I am sure MSM makes a difference, at least to my nails, because I was taking it in 2009 and my nails were growing longer and stronger and splitting less frequently. I can't say much for my hair as at the time I wasn't measuring BUT it was fairly short at the start of 2009 and by then end was a reasonable length. If I hadn't had massive shedding in 2010 my hair would probably be waist by now.

Shany
March 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I take vitamins for overall health and also for my kidneys and liver. I don't take a multi because it's too much for my kidneys. I take vitamin B6 to prevent kidney stones but it also promotes hair growth. I drink 375ml of Greens+ daily detox everyday. It helps to cleanse the liver, skin and kidneys. It improves appearance of hair, skin and nails. There are other health benefits...
I would like to try fish oil.

JessicaHamby
October 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I should probably buy some biotin again. The winter is coming, and I could use some help growing healthy hair - fast :D

Loreley
October 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I take hair vitamins-religiously. :D

Jing
October 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I started taking MSM in August and I've never forgotten to take it thus far. I'd like to add at least cod liver oil, but I'm waiting to give me more time to see if MSM actually does anything for me, since supplements don't generally cause miracles instantly.