PDA

View Full Version : does dark coffee naturally darken your hair?

~honeyflower~
August 26th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if coffee does darken hair. My hair is naturally black but I have some sun bleaching from last year and its growing out. I really want to blend the canopy to my roots and under layer so it doesn't look weird. Thank you in advance.

StephanieP3
August 26th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I would love to know this! My hair is just a few shades lighter than black but the ends has some lighter twinges from dying a couple of years ago, I want it to be all dark but I don't want to subject it to anymore chemicals. :)

Hollyfire3
August 26th, 2012, 05:11 PM
It does, to a degree. Strong coffee can stain hair when used over a period of 2 or so weeks. What color is your hair now? If it is lighter brown or medium or dark brown, it will work, it will not be super noticable, but you will get a deeper color. If your hair is blonde or blondnete, I don't think you should try it because you will end up with a muddy color.

Hollyfire3
August 26th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I would love to know this! My hair is just a few shades lighter than black but the ends has some lighter twinges from dying a couple of years ago, I want it to be all dark but I don't want to subject it to anymore chemicals. :)

You can try coffe. Just brew it very strong (twice as much coffee or so) let it cool, then use as a final rinse after rinsing the conditioner from your hair. You must use it for 2 weeks at least to see any real results. Be consitent, use it every time you wash, or else you will wash out all the progress. (I have tried this method on my naturally medium brown hair).

~honeyflower~
August 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Where its sun bleached its the same color as a Hershey chocolate bar underneath its still black.

Hollyfire3
August 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Where its sun bleached its the same color as a Hershey chocolate bar underneath its still black.

Oh in that case, you can most certainly try coffee, with success. Just be sure to make it extra strong and use it whenever you wash. Good luck!:D

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Wow- I didn't even know about this. It sounds cool. I might try it someday :]
What I am wondering is...are you trying to grow out all natural black?
Would a two step henna and indigo be out of the question?

StephanieP3
August 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM
That sounds so cool. I don't know if I have the patience to brew coffee every time I shower though lol

HylianGirl
August 26th, 2012, 07:57 PM
That sounds really interesting, I wonder if caffeine could stimulate the scalp... hm.... hehehe

I have once hear it can be a little drying, anyone who tried this can confirm that? I'd like to stain my hair a little darker (my hair is light brown...) and that could be interesting...

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I am now wondering if using coffee butter on your hair would also help darken. Hmmmm....

aspartame gram
September 4th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Oh in that case, you can most certainly try coffee, with success. Just be sure to make it extra strong and use it whenever you wash. Good luck!:D
Oi, do you really think it'll leave blonette hair looking muddy? I just purchased CV's Cafe Moreno shampoo bar. I was hoping it would darken my hair a little for the winter months. Plus, it'd allow me to temporarily change my color without actually dying it.

I'd say my hair is 'sandy' with both brown and blonde tones. Probably very light brown, which is probably what makes me in between the two colors. It's more on the blonde side, though. :(

aspartame gram
September 4th, 2012, 05:30 PM
You can try coffe. Just brew it very strong (twice as much coffee or so) let it cool, then use as a final rinse after rinsing the conditioner from your hair. You must use it for 2 weeks at least to see any real results. Be consitent, use it every time you wash, or else you will wash out all the progress. (I have tried this method on my naturally medium brown hair).
Oops, I meant to reply to this part of the thread. Sorry about that, Hollyfire!

Hollyfire3
September 4th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Oops, I meant to reply to this part of the thread. Sorry about that, Hollyfire!

Oh its fine! In answer to you, I would say just try it, the effects aren't permanent and aren't super noticieable. Sandy hair could easily look more brownish with the amount of tint the coffee gives. PM me if you need any further help.

aspartame gram
September 4th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Oh its fine! In answer to you, I would say just try it, the effects aren't permanent and aren't super noticieable. Sandy hair could easily look more brownish with the amount of tint the coffee gives. PM me if you need any further help.
Thank you! I'll be using it either tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll post back on here with my results. ^____^

~honeyflower~
September 4th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Thank you! I'll be using it either tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll post back on here with my results. ^____^

Same here! :hifive: