PDA

View Full Version : What are treated elastics/hair bands?

StephanieP3
August 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I heard this term used as a way to limit hair breakage, I am a busy mom so it's too frustrating (and hot living in Florida) to leave my hair down all the time.

How and with what do you treat elastics?

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Never heard the term "treated" elastics.
Although, I am assuming it could be something like metal free elastics, Or scrunchies??

If you are interested in damage free you could learn some new updo styles that are very easy and get yourself a hair fork.
Not sure if you have little babies but a short small discreet hair fork would be good if you were worried about a very young child finding a way to hurt them self or mess with it in your hair.

Madora
August 26th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I've never heard of treated elastics either.

Some elastics are more hair friendly than others because they are wrapped in fabric (i.e. closely woven fabric, or scrunchies, or terry type covered elastics) AND they have no metal in them.

Hollyfire3
August 26th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Well, I have no idea what these treated elastic things are but...I see your username has P3 at the end, are you by any chance a Charmed fan (if so please PM me I love Charmed!). Sorry to highjack.:o

CurlyCurves
August 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I think it might be when you soak (preferably hair friendly) elastics in oil?

LovemyOnyx
August 26th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I've never heard of treated hair bands, but I make scrunchies. :)

StephanieP3
August 26th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I think it might be when you soak (preferably hair friendly) elastics in oil?

That sounds very likely but wouldn't it make hair oily and greasy looking? Have you done this yourself? :)

afu
August 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM
most of the damage done by hair friendly elastics is done by pressure, particularly pressure being placed repeatedly on the same part of the hair. So no, I don't think this would do much to control damage. You are better to vary your ponytail/bun placement so that different parts of the hair are subjected to pressure not just one. Alternativly you could look for some LHC style updo devices - sticks, forks and flexi-8s to name just a few