PDA

View Full Version : The sun... burnt my ends

Pecheresse
August 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Damn summer.... the sun burnt the leftover highlights on my ends. I have tried to oil it, but it does feel dry :(
Does everyone with highlights end up with *porous* ends?

Silken
August 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
If it's burnt, it won't repair no matter what you do. Cut them off so the damage doesn't travel upward.

Diamond.Eyes
August 26th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I have a friend who tried to achieve natural highlights by leaving a mixture or peroxide and lemon juice on her while bathing in the sun; unfortunately it fried her ends. I had to end up cutting 4 inches off. You really can't fix or disguise that kind of damage. I would recommend getting a trim. :flower:

TheWhiteRabbit
August 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I have never heard of this before, terrible thing to have happen :(

lapushka
August 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I've never heard of ends of hair burning in the sun. How does that even happen, and how do you know they're burnt?! :confused:
I'd say try and pamper those ends and coat them in silicone.

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM
What a bummer!
I guess the best thing you can do from here on out is to wear your hair up in a protective style when you go in the sun.
Or wear a bandana over your hair.

Pecheresse
August 26th, 2012, 02:43 PM
thank you guys... it's not burnt its just dried like crazy. Maybe also the fact that I oiled the ends a few times was a bad idea? like the reflexion of the sun on it or something.. I'm not sure.
But yeah now ill have to trim. :rolleyes:

florenonite
August 27th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Have you tried moisturising them with something like conditioner rather than oil? They might just be dried out, not damaged.

julliams
August 27th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Please try some deep moisturising treatments first. SMT's and Coconut milk soaks work wonders. I had really dry ends and I managed to get them much softer after about 4 or 5 deep treatments. Also sealing with oil when they are wet helps too. I would try this first before you chop.

Do you think they are burnt because they are lighter in colour? I know my hair starts out fairly dark blonde and by the time it's at the ends, it's all strawberry blonde. I never thought of it as burnt though.

Chanie
August 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I actually dont think its because of the sun :)

Rufflebutt
August 27th, 2012, 07:46 AM
You might be forced to trim, unfortunately. Next time tuck the ends into an updo to prevent this. :)

Sunny_side_up
August 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I wore a hat more this summer quite often, because in previous years was aware that my hair felt and looked a bit frazzled after going out n about in the summer months... My hair wasnt dyed,& i didnt and still dont use a blowdryer, being outdoors in the sun between 10am and 3pm even for 10min or less can be quite intense for your hair!
I personally would trim my hair if that happened, but if your holding back from trimming then maybe oil or silicone conditioner or a intensive conditioning treatment could help. Made me think of a girl i saw at a BBQ, her dark brown hair was a fine type and looked pretty sleek, what stood out was her highlighted streaks(something like 6 or 7 colour slices) she had BSL hair and the orange/yellow highlights were split from bottom to top!

Henrietta
August 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM
If you oiled your hair before going outside on a sunny day... I'd say it made it easier for the sun to fry your hair.
Maybe it's a temporary dryness. Like after using a shampoo with seven tons of sulphates or a serum that contains alcohol denat.. I'm not a scientists, so I can't tell you for sure. But maybe adding moisture to the ends would help. Maybe it's just about restoring moisture. Give your hair a few weeks, and if it won't help, trim it.

jacqueline101
August 27th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I'd suggest a micro trim and deep conditioning treatment and some leave in conditioner.

Mischamiu
August 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I can totaly relate... Two years ago I put a lightening product a couple times before going into the sun, it really damaged my fine hair and I had to dut to soulder length :( I still have some damage from the experience and I recommend you to just cut the damaged ends, honestly it has been my best decision :blossom: