PDA

View Full Version : NEW version of 'Headband Curls'

Oksana
August 26th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I started a thread a while ago about headband curls and a version I had started doing that made the ends spiral better.... http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83476

I have now come up with another method which I think is even better. One of the problems with the original method is that the hair at the back of the head does not start to curl until the ends.

My new method does not start curling at the root but does curl the back of the hair much nearer the root than the last method.

This is how the curls look after having them wrapped round the headband overnight :
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ibn69y.jpghttp://i49.tinypic.com/6y2ipi.jpg

I did this on dry hair but I suggest trying on damp hair for extra hold.

So, here is a picture tutorial done on my lovely sister who has much thicker and longer hair than I do (iii, Hip):

1. Put on a headband and then split the hair in half as shown in the picture and pin one side up to keep it out of the way.
http://i45.tinypic.com/517ae0.jpg

2. Move the headband up towards the hair part so that it is not sitting behind the ear. This is important as the higher the headband the higher up the curls will start.
http://i46.tinypic.com/k4h45w.jpg

3. Take a section of hair at the front of the head and wrap it OVER and under the headband (the previous method requires you to wrap UNDER and over.
http://i49.tinypic.com/29y58jo.jpg

4. Take the next section of hair and ensure to be picking up the hair under the headband near the ear.
http://i47.tinypic.com/10e3dcm.jpg

5. Carry on adding sections of hair and wrapping but ensuring that the headband is sitting in the middle of the scalp and not near the base of the hair.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2dqk2he.jpg

6. When you have finished the first half of the hair, pin it to the side and then wrap the other side of the hair using the same method.
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ecdy85.jpg

7. When you have completed the other side, start weaving the ends through the spaces on the headband, heading towards the forehead in order to carry on the spiral. Do this on both sides.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2nhevkm.jpg

~~ See next post ~~

Oksana
August 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
7. (Cont..)
http://i50.tinypic.com/le2k1.jpg

This is how it should look once finished:

http://i45.tinypic.com/1eqdfb.jpghttp://i50.tinypic.com/141m59g.jpg

If anyone else has a try please tell me how it worked for you :D

Zenity
August 26th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Beautiful! thanks for sharing!

irisheyes
August 26th, 2012, 11:13 AM
That's a great way to curl hair! It looks neat enough to wear out of the house - if you have to run to the store or pick up the kids from socccer practice. Can't wait to try this, but I have to pick up some headbands first. Thank you for the pics and post.

Artisticat
August 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Wow! Can't wait to try it!

TeaEarlGreyHot
August 26th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Today is a washing day so I will DEFINITELY try this as I liked the idea of the original headband curls- just not the execution. Plus, it'll keep my hair out of the way while I clean up for company this week!

shutterpillar
August 26th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I will definitely be trying this on my next wash day! thank you!

PumpkinMom
August 26th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I cannot wait to try this!!!!!! Your hair looks so pretty!

PraiseCheeses
August 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM
That's absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing this. I also love how the hair while wrapped around the headband looks good enough to be worn as its own style!

BrightEyes
August 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Your curls are beautiful! I'll be saving this for the future.

Thanks so much for sharing:)

Oksana
August 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks all, be sure to let me know how it works out for you :)

That's absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing this. I also love how the hair while wrapped around the headband looks good enough to be worn as its own style!

That's a great way to curl hair! It looks neat enough to wear out of the house - if you have to run to the store or pick up the kids from socccer practice. Can't wait to try this, but I have to pick up some headbands first. Thank you for the pics and post.

I used a headband like this one http://fashionfinder.asos.com/womens-River-Island/River-Island-Flower-Garland-Hair-Band-392760 but with thicker elastic and got loads of compliments whilst out food shopping :D

ChasingRainbows
August 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
DEFINITELY trying this! I just hope it works on my shoulder length hair!

lapushka
August 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Ingenious! :D I love it, and I love how your curls turned out very much!

rock007junkie
August 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Will be trying this soon. It looks beautiful on you.

elea
August 26th, 2012, 12:21 PM
brilliant! thank you
(i also know a scarf-babe that would so enjoy the making of the curls as an actual hair do)

HylianGirl
August 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Wow, so beautiful!

TheWhiteRabbit
August 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Awesome! Thank you

MeowScat
August 26th, 2012, 04:35 PM
This is great, thank you for sharing this with pics along the way.

So instead of wrapping each section completely around in the same spot then moving onto the next section, you wrap one section once, then the next and when you finish that, take all the ends and weave and wrap them towards your forehead? (holy run-on sentence, Batman!)

Or did I read it wrong?

Your curls are gorgeous! I agree, it does look good enough to to out in, it looks pretty wrapped up like that.

SlipJig
August 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Wow, this method makes fantastic curls!

I will remember this for when my hair is a foot longer and I have grown my fringe out enough to side-sweep it...
Thanks for sharing. Also, your sis has beautiful hair.

afu
August 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I'm going to try this tonight or tomorrow I think, it looks brilliant even as a hairstyle

Meowscat I came to the same conclusion as you, i hope it's the right one

afu
August 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I just did this on my hair (my hair was dry, i applied some regular conditioner first as a leave in). The result isn't very neat as i didn't seem to come out with defined gaps to re-work the remaining hair though, but hopefully the result in the morning will look better! I shall update

Oksana
August 26th, 2012, 05:13 PM
So instead of wrapping each section completely around in the same spot then moving onto the next section, you wrap one section once, then the next and when you finish that, take all the ends and weave and wrap them towards your forehead? (holy run-on sentence, Batman!)

Or did I read it wrong?

Yes, i think you have got it.. I will re-cap again just to check :o

Wrap both sides so they meet at the back of the head but leaving the ends loose. Then weave both the ends towards the forehead.

So, if you were wrapping the left side (Red), the ends would end up near your forehead on the opposite side.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2u4oapd.jpg

StephanieP3
August 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM
That is so amazing, I can't even. o.o

MeowScat
August 26th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Ahh, gotcha! Thanks for clarifying, Oksana! I can't wait to try curling my hair without bulky curlers.

Afu, thanks for the response and let us know how it goes! Could you post pics after you take it out?

rtree721
August 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Your hair is beautiful!

Arya
August 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Cool! Now, can I ask, why do you wrap over instead of under? Does it make a big difference? Because honestly, I prefer the look of the headband when it's been wrapped the other way, but if the curls really turn out so much better...

constancev18
August 26th, 2012, 08:10 PM
How creative. Great idea!

Littlewing13
August 26th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Very pretty! I'm so trying this! Regular way doesn't work for me.

Cool! Now, can I ask, why do you wrap over instead of under? Does it make a big difference? Because honestly, I prefer the look of the headband when it's been wrapped the other way, but if the curls really turn out so much better...

I guess depends on the kind of look you want. wrapping over (as with rollers) gives more volume at the roots. See how her fringe sits? like up & kind of Marilyn Monroe/taylor swift "pin up"-ish?

Going under will make it flat on your head & flick out like Farrah Fawcett.

CurlyCap
August 26th, 2012, 08:13 PM
This actually is pretty enough to wear as an updo. I'm tempted to try it with a black headband as a fakey crown braid. :D

Amygirl8
August 26th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I'll have to try this!
I've always had a problem with my hair tangling up completely in the headband, so this method may stop that.
Thanks for posting it!

Natalia
August 26th, 2012, 10:04 PM
This is how it should look once finished:

http://i50.tinypic.com/141m59g.jpg

If anyone else has a try please tell me how it worked for you :D

Saving this one! Love the result and you dont look nearly as goofy waiting for your curls to set as with other methods. good if your roomie has a friend over and you dont want to be the alien inthe bathrobe

Arakazi
August 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Definitely saving this. What a great idea :D

Diamond.Eyes
August 26th, 2012, 10:38 PM
This is absolutely stunning! Will be trying this at one point or another. Thank you for sharing! :D

Mrsbaybeegurl
August 26th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Wow, this looks so pretty! The curls are perfect...I want to try this so bad but I don't have a headband at the moment but i'm going to buy a few next time i'm out and give this a wurl :)

luckyshot
August 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I tried this out tonight, since I was washing anyway. Mine didn't turn out nearly as neat, probably due to the fact that my hair is wet, and quite a bit shorter than yours, but I think it will turn out okay. I used a bit narrower of a headband, since my hair is on the shorter side.

gnome82
August 27th, 2012, 01:21 AM
:D Thank You for sharing, I think my hair is too short at the moment for it to look the way I like but I will eventually try it.:puppy:

Mrs.Witherup
August 27th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Has anyone at tb or longer tried this? I want to try it but I'm not sure if I can get all of my hair wrapped around the headband :p

julliams
August 27th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I'm going to try it. I'm going to use Panacea and Aloe gel through my hair, do the do and then put my heat cap over it until it's cool. Then I'll leave it overnight and see how it goes in the morning. I think the heatcap will let the panacea and aloe sink into my hair as well as set the style and be all 'round great for my hair. If this works for me I will be thrilled because this is something I can wear around strangers and not feel silly.

Isn't it wonderful when you improve on something and make it perfect for you. Well done!

julliams
August 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Ok mine is nowhere near as neat and I had to try it twice. Taking them out is interesting. Any tips for easy removal? I can see a huge tangled mess in the morning if I'm not careful.

Oksana
August 27th, 2012, 04:14 AM

I'm not completely sure to be honest, I tried it both ways various times and this way seemed to make much nicer curls...:o

Ok mine is nowhere near as neat and I had to try it twice. Taking them out is interesting. Any tips for easy removal? I can see a huge tangled mess in the morning if I'm not careful.

I does take some practice to get it neat and helps to have a rather stretchy headband. When I take mine out I just reverse the steps. So gently unwind the ends on both sides, the the top - one side at a time.

If I find the confidence I will do a video tutorial of the whole process --- LHC eyes only I think!

Dars
August 27th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Wow...they are the most gorgeous heat free curls I've ever seen! Thank you for sharing the pictures. Would love a video too. :) I've never heard of headband curls before but now I want to try them, even though I have 3a curls!

Golden
August 27th, 2012, 05:12 AM
so gorgeous!!
I would even wear this to school :D

remote-spook
August 27th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Well I know what I'll be doing later! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial! Beautiful job too

TiffanieJean
August 27th, 2012, 06:33 AM
OMG! That is beautiful! I have been meaning to try headband curls, but I'm already in love with sock buns and thought the results looked better with them. This has definitely persuaded me to try your version! Your hair looks amazing.

Oksana
August 27th, 2012, 06:40 AM
My sister and I are currently attempting to do a video tutorial.....:D:o;)

UltraBella
August 27th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Oh ! Your curls are awesome !
A video tutorial would be fantastic ! I really was hoping to see your sister's end results as well.

twoLs118
August 27th, 2012, 07:22 AM
LOVE IT!! your hair looks awesome!!

Oksana
August 27th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Oh ! Your curls are awesome !
A video tutorial would be fantastic ! I really was hoping to see your sister's end results as well.

Thanks UltraBella, my sister has her hair weaved at the moment but she will have to take it out in a few hours rather than keep it in overnight, I will show the resuts nevertheless :)

jessicac1
August 27th, 2012, 07:40 AM
They look lovely!
I tried headband curls with the band lower down and my hair knotted up like crazy as I slept on it! This is higher up but I still worry my hair will become matted and knotty if i sleep on it, anybody got any tips on how to avoid this? thanks!

ravenheather
August 27th, 2012, 07:45 AM
beautiful results.

Henrietta
August 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Thank you for sharing this tutorial! :) I will have to try it one day.

Lisabunny
August 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I've got mine in right now. :) I used a soft terry headband. I had bought a few headbands at the store but there too tight to use yet. I'll take it out tomorrow and let ya know

Maelyssa
August 27th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I think you should definitely make this an official LHC Article! Beautiful results.

remote-spook
August 28th, 2012, 12:58 AM
My goodness. I am not coordinated at all. My hair is currently in that headband and I don't know how you got it to look so pretty! I'm positive I wrapped through other wraps and have a few knots waiting for me tomorrow haha.

joflakes
August 28th, 2012, 01:34 AM
That's amazing looking! I wish my hair was long enough to try it.

julliams
August 28th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Ok, apologies for the stupid face but these are my results from last night's curling. I used one of those hippy dippy headbands that you double over so it was really really thick. Plus I put it together with dry hair, panacea and followed with my heat cap. I then slept with it all still in.

I think the height of the curls looks a little silly on my face for some reason, plus I stupidly took the photo before I put on my makeup - but I was in a rush so... I think it looks a little like I'm wearing a wig - lol!

Anyway, I ended up brushing it out a little and wearing a headband. The back wasn't anywhere near as curly and quite unimpressive unfortunately. I think the trick is going to be to use a slightly less thick headband next time but not too thin.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8305/7878926114_a0e6ce431f_n.jpg

Golden
August 28th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Ok, apologies for the stupid face but these are my results from last night's curling. I used one of those hippy dippy headbands that you double over so it was really really thick. Plus I put it together with dry hair, panacea and followed with my heat cap. I then slept with it all still in.

I think the height of the curls looks a little silly on my face for some reason, plus I stupidly took the photo before I put on my makeup - but I was in a rush so... I think it looks a little like I'm wearing a wig - lol!

Anyway, I ended up brushing it out a little and wearing a headband. The back wasn't anywhere near as curly and quite unimpressive unfortunately. I think the trick is going to be to use a slightly less thick headband next time but not too thin.

That is SO beautiful :agape:
and so shiny!

Arya
August 28th, 2012, 03:52 AM

WOW, super beautiful hair!! But I can see what you mean, the height doesn't quite suit you. Maybe try wrapping it the other way next time? You really remind me of Princess Buttercup here!

julliams
August 28th, 2012, 04:18 AM
You really remind me of Princess Buttercup here!
OMG you made my day!!! I'm going to try wrapping the other way to see if it makes a difference for me. Once I brushed it out it was ok but I really do think that whilst the hair looks nice, it simply doesn't suit my face shape - weird.

MaryO
August 28th, 2012, 05:32 AM
What a novel idea! Thanks for sharing!

Lisabunny
August 28th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Good Morning! I just took the band out and my hair is in lovely large spiral curls :) Thanks for this great idea :):D

Aqua Gal
August 28th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I *REALLY* like this idea. Thanks so much for posting.

I'm definitely going to give it a try when I can track down a headband.

raingirl
August 28th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Ahhhh....I just re-read the tutorial and I get it more now. It's like a french braid in that you grab a section of hair with each round and add it in.

Makes so much more sense to me now!!

I might try this on the weekend!

Clem_Dela
August 28th, 2012, 10:53 AM
i am absolutely going to try this tonight!

katfemme89
August 28th, 2012, 11:04 AM
If I find the confidence I will do a video tutorial of the whole process --- LHC eyes only I think!

I think I'm going to go a video tutorial myself on this. I will credit you with the idea. If that's okay?

Golden
August 28th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I just really don't get this :o
I'm looking forward to the youtube-tutorial :)

Urban Babe
August 28th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I absolutely love this tutorial! I have been having problems with the first method, but after seeing how your beautiful hair turned out, I think I'll be trying as soon as I buy a headband.

Thank you!

TeaGarden
August 28th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I've tried this two nights in a row. The first night I learned how not to wrap it. (For me, if the ends are too loose then the curls look weird.) And today I learned that this is probably a style best saved for cleaner hair. My hair feels really heavy and oily today and the curls make it feel gross. However, the curls look gorgeous today!
So I'll wash my hair and then do it again. I'm sure it will turn out lovely. I'll post pictures. :)

Krystall
August 28th, 2012, 01:16 PM
This looks awesome! Will look through my drawers for a headband I can use and hope I can pull it off. I'm currently past waist length by 4", and my hair tends to tangle if I sleep on it or try to put it into something fancy. But one has to try! I'm not really comfortable with the sock bun method, it is to much hair-on-hair action going on.

arelrios
August 28th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I tried it last night, but the shape of the waves/curls wasn't even. Maybe my hair is too straight. Needless to say once I finished it didn't look anything like yours (neat and cute) :D
I will keep trying anyway...

Oksana
August 28th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I think I'm going to go a video tutorial myself on this. I will credit you with the idea. If that's okay?

That's fine with me :)

I have recorded a video but having computer trouble and some drama with my family so it would make sense for someone else to do it as mine might take a while.

Avital88
August 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM
wow, thank you so much for this beautiful Oksana!! your curls look beautiful! i also cant wait to try this..

Iku-Turso
September 9th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Oksana, thank you for posting your version! I got the best curls in a long time using this method, but I modified it a bit further. My hair is TBL, and I wanted to have loose big curls. I think I have tried every no-heat, over-night method that exists, and...

...finally I got the curls I love!

I kept my hair down all day, and got lots of compliments! Allthough the day was very windy, my hair did not knot up. This was important, as another goal for me was to have the kind of curls that would just "melt away" after few days, because usually after day one with any kind of curls (in an updo or not) my hair usually tangles like crazy. Straight from the roots, frizzy and dryness in the ends, ugh.

----------------------
Instead of one headband I used two headbands. The headbands were flat and approximately 1 cm/0,4'' wide, those elastic ones with no fabric coverings.

I divided my hair approximately in two equally sized parts (splitted horizontally):
section 1: hair from the crown area
section 2: hair near the ears and neck

and wrapped both sections around their own headband, as mirror images.

I pinned away the top half (=section1) of my hair, and split the bottom half hair (section 2) again in two sections, right and left. Then I put the headband on, OVER the hair, as high as possible (the headband still remaining over the roots of section 1 hairs)

Then I did the regular "old" headband wrapping of hair, taking hair under the band and over. I finished of the ends with the method Oksana proposed, weaving the ends towards the forehead.

After dealing with both sides of the section 2 hair, I did the section 1 (the crown area, top half) with Oksana's method (wrapping hair over and under the band.)

I tried to get the headbands us high as possible, because I wanted volume and lift in my roots. I secured the headbands with two clips for the night.
---------------------

I liked this two-band method, because I haven't got the best results using just one headband or other over-night methods (maybe because many tutorials seem to be made for BSL or shorter hair).

What I especially like in Oksana's version is that it is very easy to control how tight a curl you get in yours ends. For example every time I weaved my hair towards the forehead, I weaved through every other space in the headband, thus resulting looser curls in the ends.

Hope my instructions made any sense, I just had to share my perfect hair day with perfect curls with you guys!

Oksana
September 9th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Oksana, thank you for posting your version! I got the best curls in a long time using this method, but I modified it a bit further. My hair is TBL, and I wanted to have loose big curls. I think I have tried every no-heat, over-night method that exists, and...

...finally I got the curls I love!

I kept my hair down all day, and got lots of compliments! Allthough the day was very windy, my hair did not knot up. This was important, as another goal for me was to have the kind of curls that would just "melt away" after few days, because usually after day one with any kind of curls (in an updo or not) my hair usually tangles like crazy. Straight from the roots, frizzy and dryness in the ends, ugh.

----------------------
Instead of one headband I used two headbands. The headbands were flat and approximately 1 cm/0,4'' wide, those elastic ones with no fabric coverings.

I divided my hair approximately in two equally sized parts (splitted horizontally):
section 1: hair from the crown area
section 2: hair near the ears and neck

and wrapped both sections around their own headband, as mirror images.

I pinned away the top half (=section1) of my hair, and split the bottom half hair (section 2) again in two sections, right and left. Then I put the headband on, OVER the hair, as high as possible (the headband still remaining over the roots of section 1 hairs)

Then I did the regular "old" headband wrapping of hair, taking hair under the band and over. I finished of the ends with the method Oksana proposed, weaving the ends towards the forehead.

After dealing with both sides of the section 2 hair, I did the section 1 (the crown area, top half) with Oksana's method (wrapping hair over and under the band.)

I tried to get the headbands us high as possible, because I wanted volume and lift in my roots. I secured the headbands with two clips for the night.
---------------------

I liked this two-band method, because I haven't got the best results using just one headband or other over-night methods (maybe because many tutorials seem to be made for BSL or shorter hair).

What I especially like in Oksana's version is that it is very easy to control how tight a curl you get in yours ends. For example every time I weaved my hair towards the forehead, I weaved through every other space in the headband, thus resulting looser curls in the ends.

Hope my instructions made any sense, I just had to share my perfect hair day with perfect curls with you guys!

Thanks Iku-Turso, this makes alot of sense, especially for people with longer or thicker hair. I will give this a go when I get a chance :) I'm glad it turned out so well for you :blossom:

PossibleMermaid
September 9th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Sooooo cannot wait until my hair is long enough for this. <3 <3!!

rosance
September 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this method! I cannot wait to try it. I have tried several heatless ways of curling and waving hair. If you have more to share...FEEL FREE

Xxanderia
September 19th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I have this in my hair now. Hopefully it comes out well tomorrow! I did this on wet hair, so it definitely doesn't look as neat and defined on the headband. I had a hard time weaving the ends back in because there wasn't a defined spot for them. I managed to work them through but I fear it will probably result in tangles. It could also have been a little more difficult for me because my hair is layered, with the longest being bsl. Either way im looking forward to the results!

Oh also (I think because its wet) the weight of my hair on the headband once weaved pulls it down almost kn top of my ears. I used some bobby pins to sort of position it back up higher.

hermosamendoza
September 19th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Now I want to buy a headband!!!

AnnaJamila
September 19th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I LOVE YOU WITH THE WHITE HOT INTENSITY OF A THOUSAND SUNS!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, you are a visionary!!! I love spirals but have never found an easy, doable way to create them, thank you so much for sharing this!

leslissocool
September 19th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I need to try this!!!

Bandanna waves and curls don't work on me, neither sock bun curls. I'm going to give this a try and post pictures!

Xxanderia
September 20th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Ok so my results are mixed. Woke up this morning and my hair is still wet! So I think I will attempt it again with drier hair. It seems like it would work fine, but yes ive just got to make some adjustments. It would probably work better with longer hair as well.

rosance
September 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but you can mess around with the thickness of the curls depending on the thickness of the hairband. Of course the thicker the headband the harder it will be to sleep on it if you leave it overnight. I really want to try this, maybe I'll set it up for tonight and remove it tomorrow.

longNred
September 28th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Oksana, thanks so much for the tutorial!! I tried it the other night... and although my curls didn't come out as awesome as yours, I did really like the results! The curls held ALL DAY too - even after a thorough combing/brushing at the end of the day. The wrapping is NOT easy though, definitely need some practice at that! it's a really nice, relatively easy, alternative to braid or bun waves.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/Hair/hbcurls2.jpg

Oksana
September 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Oksana, thanks so much for the tutorial!! I tried it the other night... and although my curls didn't come out as awesome as yours, I did really like the results! The curls held ALL DAY too - even after a thorough combing/brushing at the end of the day. The wrapping is NOT easy though, definitely need some practice at that! it's a really nice, relatively easy, alternative to braid or bun waves.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/Hair/hbcurls2.jpg

What beautiful results and the curls look really natural! The wrapping gets easier with practice, i promise :)

leslissocool
September 29th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Ok so I have it on, I will lift weights tonight and sleep on it and will post more pics! One thought is my hair might be a bit too long for this, I wrapped the ends on themselves on my forehead. I really suck at the suck bun curls so I am hoping this works! :pray:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/DSC03195.jpg
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/DSC03184.jpg
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/DSC03189.jpg

Ocelan
September 30th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Ok now I'll definitely know what to do next time I have somewhere fancier to go to. I never tried the original headband curling technique since I was sure it wasn't going to work with my hair and length, but this looks promising. Thanks for the tutorial! :)

leslissocool
September 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/DSC03265.jpg
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/DSC03266.jpg
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/DSC03267.jpg

Results! First right out of the headband, the last two pictures I ran my fingers through the curls.

I like it ^.^ Taking it out was a bit challenging. I'd appreciate it though if you could clarify if we have to go under the headband after we are done with the both sides (wrapping the leftover hair) since I just continued to go over the headband and I think it might have given me an odd curl pattern.

But really, not bad for a first try! nice easy technique, DH liked the way it looked on the headband :crush:. I used a really tight toddler one.

jacqueline101
September 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Your curls are beautiful.

rosance
October 1st, 2012, 12:20 AM
I will be trying this hopefully tomorrow. I will leave it tomorrow overnight :D the normal headband curls would definitely leave my top too flat :(

rosance
February 16th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I tried this yesterday but only left the headband for 2 hours and started it with 100% dried hair. I also did not place the headband as high I should have, but it was an experiment, and I wanted to do it fast so I did not take as much time as I should have. It resulted in a little bit of curls but I still Loved it. Thanks for this idea! I will definitely take my time next time and post the results.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag59/gnlmoreno/89917f06-2952-41eb-8dd5-ab544a4b8143_zps8f911469.jpg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/gnlmoreno/media/89917f06-2952-41eb-8dd5-ab544a4b8143_zps8f911469.jpg.html)

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag59/gnlmoreno/0d51b4f6-c983-440e-8220-1822cb3f9136_zpse182c6fc.jpg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/gnlmoreno/media/0d51b4f6-c983-440e-8220-1822cb3f9136_zpse182c6fc.jpg.html)

lapushka
February 16th, 2015, 03:07 PM
It came out really cute, rosance!

pseudonym
November 4th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I signed up to this forum to say Thank You to Oksana and all the other contributors to this thread with ideas! Because of you, I have figured out a heatless curls method that works for my hair.

I have had miserable luck with heatless curls. I have hair just past shoulder length, it's got some long layers, it is medium-fine in texture, and I don't have very much of it ('thin' hair).

I want loose, gentle cascading spirals or waves, but sleek ones not messy. Most methods give me tight kinks or strange patterns or make a kinky mess out of the ends of my hair.

Oksana's latest method and your posts here gave me an idea. I have gotten so many compliments on how I do my hair, I wanted to share it especially with those of you having 'thin' hair like me, or shorter hair or layered hair. Even if your hair is long I think this can work for you if it is not very thick.

To make sure the curls or waves are looser, I start with dry hair and put some hydrating smoothing balm or mousse on my hair. This gives my hair a nice hold with the curl and some softness and shine. Use what you like or just go with only slightly damp hair so it will dry.

Again my heartfelt thanks to Oksana for sharing her latest method, and to everyone who posted in reply with their own ideas.

Here goes.

You'll need TWO headbands, very soft and comfortable, width is unimportant just be sure they're loose enough to sleep in them comfortably. You can make your own dorky ones with two legs of pantyhose like I did :-)

Put on the FIRST headband, under the hair as in Oksana's method, except not high up in back. In front I like it down low over my ear as much as possible so my curl starts lower. Do what you like in the front but leave the headband lower in the back.

I section the front portion of my hair on each side from just behind my ear forward, then split each section into two pieces. I clip each front piece out of the way leaving the other piece on each side to work with first.

I take a piece of hair and put a slight twist away from my face into it. Then go down over the headband and back up on the inside, just like Oksana's method, BUT I bring the hair under the headband toward my face, not toward the back. (Twisting the hair away from my face then wrapping in a forward direction on the headband results in perfect backward facing spiral curls -- just like using a curling wand.)

NOTE: I work with the individual piece of hair, I don't combine it with other hair as I wrap.

I repeat the slight twist away from face, then wrap down over and up under another loop in forward direction, until I have a 'tail end' of hair sticking straight up from under the headband. I leave the 'tail' sticking up so it doesn't get curled or kinked, similar to leaving the 'tail' out when using the curling wand.

The bigger the loop around the headband the bigger the wave. I start with a medium-large loop and go slightly larger with each wrap, about three wraps for my length of hair. I like the curl to start more defined and become looser as it nears the end.

I repeat the same process with the piece of hair hanging on the other side, then adjust the loops to ensure both sides are fairly even. Then I let down the front pieces and repeat with those, and adjust the loops if needed to ensure both sides are even.

Next I section off just the crown of my hair in back and clip it up out of the way.

Now put on the SECOND headband. This one stays up high in the back, roughly just above the line where I sectioned off the crown hair. In the front I use this second headband to cover the curls and tail ends on the first headband, this helps hold them while I sleep.

Now that the second headband is on, I let down the crown of my hair and section it into three pieces. I use the same technique as I did for the front pieces near my face. I twist and wrap the middle piece first, it doesn't matter which direction, and leave the 'tail' end sticking up like before. For each outer piece, I twist the hair toward my face this time, instead of away, and wrap working forward as before, leaving the 'tail' end sticking up.

Now I split the lower section of hair into three pieces, and starting with the center piece I wrap each piece onto the first headband the same as I did with the crown hair onto the second headband.

Now I have two rows of curls in the back and they start higher up on my head, where my top layers will get some of the curl.

In short, my variation from Oksana's lastest method is to:

1. Use two headbands to get high curls in the back
2. Wrap down over and up under the headband toward the face instead of toward the back
3. Wrap individual pieces of hair
4. Wrap sections of hair in large loops for defined but loose, soft curls
5. Leave the 'tail end' of hair sticking straight up after wrapping, to mimic using a curling wand with the end bit left out

I hope what I've written makes sense, and especially that it helps someone! Please do ask anything and I'll try to explain better.

Thanks again to all for sharing all the ideas, tips, and tricks. This is the first method for heatless curls that has ever worked for my hair, and it works perfectly for me every time. So happy!