PDA

View Full Version : "Re-texturizing" gray hair

Zenity
August 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Gray hairs are prone to be coarser, brittle, dryer, frizzier, less flexible, less shine... just to mention the most common issues with grays.

Some people report hair changes as it becomes gray: straight hair becoming curlier or vice-versa.

Obviously grays have a different texture than pigmented natural hair.

I am wondering what can be done to help grays be and act like "normal" hair. Maybe they need extra protein? or it is extra-moisture??? or any other extra care that can help with the weird feeling and its texture to become more manageable and normal feeling.

Any thoughts are welcome.
;)

kitcatsmeow
August 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Diet. I reversed my gray hair (I started getting grays when I was 22) with a raw vegan diet and the 2 or 3 I find are soft and look more like pale blonde.

A less drastic approach....wheat grass juice. It can also prevent and reverse gray hair. I also take wheat grass juice.

dulce
August 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM
My grays are finer and more brittle and breakeable and much drier,I switched to Devacurl no poo cleanser and their leave in DevacurlL conditioner and also use a floor fan now[got that idea from MADORA] to dry my hair.I don't brush as I have curly hair.Now all my hair[and that includes my grays] are soft and silky again.This may not work for everyone but this is what helped me.

Zenity
August 26th, 2012, 10:59 AM
So... if your diet is raw, vegan and you add wheat grass juice to it you can reverse your grays to its natural color? if not, worse case scenario, they would be at least flexible and more natural feeling-looking?

Do you mind to answer few questions?

How long did it take for you to notice results?
What was the percentage of grays when you started dieting?

I think 22 is quite premature for going gray, but I think the older you are the more difficult could potentially be reverse grays.... Am I right??

Anyway thank you for your really inspirational post.

Zenity
August 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Dulce, I live in europe and don't think I can get any of the products you have mentioned here. Do you mind to take a look at the ingredients and let me know what is this product based on? Silicones? oils?
thanks

julliams
August 26th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I have a few greys growing in and mine tend to be very thick and wirey. I've done some researching on the net and all I can find is conflicting information about grey hair. My hairdresser told me that these hairs are swollen and the cuticle is left open or something like that which meant that they would always be frizzy. And yet I've read that grey hairs are fine, dry and brittle. It's all very confusing.

I will continue to watch this thread to see what others report.

dulce
August 26th, 2012, 05:13 PM
You can order Devacurl products on the internet.Google and their web page should pop up and you can check them thoroughly out.

QMacrocarpa
August 26th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I doubt that 22 is all *that* early actually. My mother was barely out of her teens. I think what makes it seem like no one goes grey until much later is the wide prevalence of coloring grey.

kitcatsmeow
August 27th, 2012, 05:21 AM
So... if your diet is raw, vegan and you add wheat grass juice to it you can reverse your grays to its natural color? if not, worse case scenario, they would be at least flexible and more natural feeling-looking?

Do you mind to answer few questions?

How long did it take for you to notice results?
What was the percentage of grays when you started dieting?

I think 22 is quite premature for going gray, but I think the older you are the more difficult could potentially be reverse grays.... Am I right??

Anyway thank you for your really inspirational post.

Yes exactly what I'm saying. There have been many studies linking a typical american diet loaded with preservatives, milk, meat to pre mature gray hair. Other factors like stress, illness, disease also come into play.

More studies have shown that a raw vegan, living food diet can stop, reverse and prevent premature gray hair. I've read about many women keeping their natural color well into their late 50's and early 60's. It probably is harder to reverse the older a person gets but it also has to do with what kind of a diet and lifestyle you led up until the point you became raw vegan and how much damage you have to undo.

At any rate, you will be preventing further gray.

I have only been raw vegan for a little over a year and prior I was bleaching my regrowth to conceal grays. I decided to stop bleaching and let my natural color grow out in March 2011. I did notice some wiry gray hairs but in these past 6 months....I can only find maybe two. I can find a few very fine soft grays but I honestly think they are my natural pale blonde highlights that I had as a kid!

Curly Crone
August 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Zenity...I can only relate my personal experience with gray hair, or to be more exact, white hair in my case.

My white hair is a genetic family trait. I know this because I am also into genealogy. Since this trait was around long before processed foods I would say in my case it's not food related.

I can also say that my white hair is finer in diameter than my black hair. I have drier hair now as opposed to when I had black hair but that is a result of aging and not necessarily the hair itself. (Everything is drier, my skin especially since menopause) Since I now do CO instead of shampoo my hair is in better shape than when I was younger. It is also NOT dull in any way, shape or form, the white hair has a very nice sheen.

The texture is actually better now than when I had all black hair, the white hair is more supple. I will be happy when all the black is gone.

People have different hair needs and gray or white or silver hair will also have different needs based on the individual. When I hear people say that gray hair is always wirey and coarse I cringe because I know that this blanket statement gives people the wrong impression, all hair is individual including the gray hair.

Try lots of different things, then you can get a good idea what your grays like. Maybe more moisture, maybe protein, maybe silicones. Good Luck!

dulce
August 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hate to be a downer but I went mainly raw and vegan for several months this year to improve my blood lipid profile but I lost hair on my scalp near my part for an inch or so around it] it became see through very fast, tons of shedding and that occured within a month of changing my diet.I am 60 and my grays stayed.I ate raw nuts,beans,tons of vegatable salads, raw assorted greens,almond milk,fresh fruits ,raw nut butters and a bit of rye bread and tofu.I think for me the higher carb content of the diet affected my hormones[I have PCOS]It is a super healthy diet but is not for everyone.Check out the hair loss and vegan thread [pg 2 on the new here? start here section] for several different viewpoints of people who have tried it.Some do very well on it ,others not so much..

dulce
August 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Vanity and fear [hair loss] caused me to re-add daily fish and egg whites and some very occasional chicken,beef back in my diet and eliminate beans and the higher carb foods content.I may try raw vegan in the future again though.

Zenity
August 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I have a few greys growing in and mine tend to be very thick and wirey. I've done some researching on the net and all I can find is conflicting information about grey hair. My hairdresser told me that these hairs are swollen and the cuticle is left open or something like that which meant that they would always be frizzy. And yet I've read that grey hairs are fine, dry and brittle. It's all very confusing.

I will continue to watch this thread to see what others report.

julliams, My whites feel wirey too, dryer and coarser than the natural colored hair.
They are way less elastic than natural too, if I stretch one white it breaks faster than stretching a colored one. I feel greys, well, actually whites, thicker, but that could be just a subjective appreciation as I have not look at their diameter in the microscope to compare.
Latelly I am getting tons of greys and they and most ofthem are actually on my canopy, so the top layer of my hair from ears up is getting frizzier, coarser, dull and awful looking and feeling.
Up to now my greys were fine, and feel fine. I think as they increase in number more noticeable their actual texture is, while when mixed with natural and healthy hair they are sort of camouflaged by the majority of your natural colore and textured hair....

I doubt that 22 is all *that* early actually. My mother was barely out of her teens. I think what makes it seem like no one goes grey until much later is the wide prevalence of coloring grey.

QMacrocarpa I said 22 is premature because in general terms grays occur at older stages, however I know few friends going grey at 15... so yes, genes do play a big role here. And yet I am confused about the posibilities of reversing whites regardless age...

Yes exactly what I'm saying. There have been many studies linking a typical american diet loaded with preservatives, milk, meat to pre mature gray hair. Other factors like stress, illness, disease also come into play.

More studies have shown that a raw vegan, living food diet can stop, reverse and prevent premature gray hair. I've read about many women keeping their natural color well into their late 50's and early 60's. It probably is harder to reverse the older a person gets but it also has to do with what kind of a diet and lifestyle you led up until the point you became raw vegan and how much damage you have to undo.

At any rate, you will be preventing further gray.

I have only been raw vegan for a little over a year and prior I was bleaching my regrowth to conceal grays. I decided to stop bleaching and let my natural color grow out in March 2011. I did notice some wiry gray hairs but in these past 6 months....I can only find maybe two. I can find a few very fine soft grays but I honestly think they are my natural pale blonde highlights that I had as a kid!

kitcatsmeow You are very lucky you have found a healthy way to improve your lifestyle and reverse your grays.
Do you mind if I ask you at what age you began your vegan diet?

Hate to be a downer but I went mainly raw and vegan for several months this year to improve my blood lipid profile but I lost hair on my scalp near my part for an inch or so around it] it became see through very fast, tons of shedding and that occured within a month of changing my diet.I am 60 and my grays stayed.I ate raw nuts,beans,tons of vegatable salads, raw assorted greens,almond milk,fresh fruits ,raw nut butters and a bit of rye bread and tofu.I think for me the higher carb content of the diet affected my hormones[I have PCOS]It is a super healthy diet but is not for everyone.Check out the hair loss and vegan thread [pg 2 on the new here? start here section] for several different viewpoints of people who have tried it.Some do very well on it ,others not so much..

dulce I just recently heard something about your blood type linked with diet's needs. I think we all have different metabolisms and therefore different needs to cover. That is why it is quite difficult to find "one fits all". Our only hope is to get to know us very well and find out what works for each of us. That is some cases is a lot of testing as you prob. know by now.

Zenity...I can only relate my personal experience with gray hair, or to be more exact, white hair in my case.

My white hair is a genetic family trait. I know this because I am also into genealogy. Since this trait was around long before processed foods I would say in my case it's not food related.

I can also say that my white hair is finer in diameter than my black hair. I have drier hair now as opposed to when I had black hair but that is a result of aging and not necessarily the hair itself. (Everything is drier, my skin especially since menopause) Since I now do CO instead of shampoo my hair is in better shape than when I was younger. It is also NOT dull in any way, shape or form, the white hair has a very nice sheen.

The texture is actually better now than when I had all black hair, the white hair is more supple. I will be happy when all the black is gone.

People have different hair needs and gray or white or silver hair will also have different needs based on the individual. When I hear people say that gray hair is always wirey and coarse I cringe because I know that this blanket statement gives people the wrong impression, all hair is individual including the gray hair.

Try lots of different things, then you can get a good idea what your grays like. Maybe more moisture, maybe protein, maybe silicones. Good Luck!

Curly Crone Would you say that your CO washes are the main reason for your hair being so nice? I have been CO for a while now, with just few clarifying washes every here and there, but I haven't seen or notice dramatic changes in my hair, indeed since CO is when I noticed my greys being much different in texture.... But I think that is because I have more whites now than before, hence the change... My conditiones has been fructis oleo repair. I usually love it as a main ingredient for hair treatments as deep conditioner recipes, but not sure about using it by itself for CO. As you said this could be a good moment to test and try new things.

Thanks to all for your inputs. Brainstorming with you is definetelly a big help when it comes to my hair.

;)

dulce
August 29th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Zenity,I have read about the blood types,I have the one requiring more meat,less carbs,little grains.It does fit with my lifelong health history[3 past gestational diabetic pregnancies,borderline diabetic now,diagnosed in a hospital with PCOS in my teens etc.]It does explain why even though I desperately wanted the vegan diet to work for me[I love animals and it is a kind diet,plus great for lowering blood lipids] it didn't do too well for me..

Zenity
August 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Dulce, I couldn't agree more... My DD is the perfect example for a high protein intake. Since she was a baby was always crawing for meat. Her body needs it and I was really amazed about how good she knew how to satisfy her diet's needs even being a baby... We do need to listen much better our bodies and pay attention to what we eat.
I am glad you have found what does work better for you. ;-)

Unofficial_Rose
August 29th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Speaking for myself, I've got some greys that are the same texture as my brown hair, but there are a few wirey ones. Pre-wash overnight oiling softens them up a bit, either with olive or bhringraj oil. They seem to like a bit of protein too. So either of these may help?

Of course, when I hennaed, it made the texture so silky you couldn't tell which hair was grey and which wasn't, quite apart from the colour making them indistinguishable. Shame the colour didn't suit me. If you don't mind permanently red hair, henna would do the trick - but then you didn't mention changing the colour, so...

kitcatsmeow
August 29th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Totally agree with blood type and dietary needs! My sister eats a diet almost entirely of fruit. Me I need veggies!

But those that do need more protein and, do better with meat, I believe should be mostly fish, nuts and poultry and even then I doubt as as much as most americans think they need.

Zenity
August 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Speaking for myself, I've got some greys that are the same texture as my brown hair, but there are a few wirey ones. Pre-wash overnight oiling softens them up a bit, either with olive or bhringraj oil. They seem to like a bit of protein too. So either of these may help?

Of course, when I hennaed, it made the texture so silky you couldn't tell which hair was grey and which wasn't, quite apart from the colour making them indistinguishable. Shame the colour didn't suit me. If you don't mind permanently red hair, henna would do the trick - but then you didn't mention changing the colour, so...

What refrains me to use henna is its reddish tones and the fact that it is quite difficult to remove or to be compatible with bleaching your hair. A year ago I got the perfect ombrč highlights and I am in love with the colour, but not with the damage... I am now trying to decide what to do with my hair... redoing ombrč (it has been more than a year since the last bleaching process) or let the bleaching out of my hair regime and just cover my grays with a demi-permanent color as I have been doing the last years.
Up to know my greys wouldn't look a feel different with just the demi-permanent coloring. They just were exactly the same texture than the rest of my hair. Now I can tell they are different and I am totally lost about how to proceed.:(

On my bleached hair a protein treatment like aphogee followed by a deep mosturizing treatment has worked wonders to me. I am waist lenght and my hair doesn't look damaged compared to what could you expect to a bleached hair, yet I am not happy with it at this moment. I miss my "original" hair...

Zenity
August 30th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Just had a talk with my sister who has been a professional hairdresser and asked her few questions about greys.

She said even though the science keeps telling you the melanin is the main component missing from a white hair, in her opinion there is a lot more about it than just color. She told me that is like a white hair has lost the "nerve" that was previously feeding up that hair, thus, keepint it alive, flexible, shiny, healthy. She compared that to a plant, whith branches alive and dry or old branches. New sprouts are always green and flexible while old ones are more rigid and become wood-like as they are old or damaged-dry.

What can be done then??? She is not updated about nowadays treatments for hair, but she mentioned to me, that treating the scalp plus the hair would be the way she would go.

Why the scalp? Because, using the same plant analogy, is like the ground from where nutrients are carried towards the hair.

However if the "nerve" (as she called the medula of the hair) is dead, there is not much to do, right? She said up to a certain point you can see good results, in terms of improving the texture of grays.

Stimulating the scalp is my next target, planing on black pepper tea with rosemary & cayenne, and see how it feels. :stirpot:
If I don't see any improvement maybe dermarolling would help....:confused:

As per the lenght, if my whites are less flexible, they will probably breake much faster than regular hairs, so, protein treatment every 6 or 8 weeks, plus deep moisture treatments as often as needed.

I need to take a good trim after the summer to cut off the beach effects of my ends and baby care my hair for the winter.
Still trying to decide if I should go for my anual bleaching process or not.

Maybe is time to switch to egg washes (tons of protein) instead CO and see how my hair likes it.

What bothers me is that my greys are totally concentrated on my canopy, the under layers are fine.
Bummer! this is so annoying! the most noticeable part of my hair is the one I don't like!... Maybe is also time to chech half up-dos to hide that when I want to wear my hair down...
:twisted:
Report finished by now:p

Juanita
August 30th, 2012, 04:53 AM
It also seems to calm down as it gets longer. Mine is soft from root to tip. I use shea butter on it when it feels dry. Use cone free shampoo and conditioner. It is much happier since I grow out the dye and it is completely natural.mine was stick straight before and is still. I am a vegetarian who uses minimal dairy products. I take after my father hair wise and he was totally grey by the time he was 30.

duchesswannabe
August 30th, 2012, 05:05 AM
It also seems to calm down as it gets longer.

This is why I am hesitant to go super short again, although I am fine with APL or a little shorter.

kitekats
August 30th, 2012, 05:16 AM

My white hair is a genetic family trait.
Love white hair, I hope that I will have white too(at least my grandmother had);)

Dorothy
August 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hair is not alive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair

Nor is it "fed" by the folicle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color

"The Journal of Investigative Dermatology published a study in 2005 which found that Caucasian people will begin to gray in their twenties and early thirties while Asian people begin graying in their late thirties, but most African people can retain their original hair color until their mid-forties.[11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color#cite_note-10) "

"Changes in hair color typically occur naturally as people age, eventually turning the hair gray and then white. This is called achromotrichia. Achromotrichia normally begins in the early to mid-twenties in men and late twenties in women. More than 60 percent of Americans have some gray hair by age 40, but white hair can appear as early as childhood[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]. The age at which graying begins seems almost entirely due to genetics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics). Sometimes people are born with gray hair because they inherit the trait."

So 22 is not that early to have some grey hairs, I had a lot of grey at 25, and my mom had completely grey hair by the time she was 30. My 75 year old dad, however, is still only greying at the temples. My temples aren't even that grey, my grey hair is concentrated in my bangs and canopy, the hair at the back of my head is solid brown. So I think people vary a lot genetically in when they go grey, I take after my mom, my grey hair is not premature, and it's not reversible.

So back to the OP question, how to deal with the wiry nature of grey hairs. Sounds like not everybody's greys are wirey, but mine sure are. This is a big problem for me too, Zenity. I have asked about it before on here and gotten some help - some people accept this and call their stiff ones their "Graylo" I henna so mine are red but it doesn't substantially change their texture. SMT's help a little, prewash overnight coconut oiling helps a little, and I use Aloe Vera gel to stick the crazy ones down when I put my hair up. This all helps, but I would not call the problem solved.
I'm super eager to hear other ideas as to what to do with the waist length grey ones at this point, because I don't think veganism or raw food is going to help me at this point. I've been a vegan for substantial portions of my past, and it did not help with this problem.

Zenity
August 30th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Hair is not alive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair

Nor is it "fed" by the folicle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color

Dorothy, we all know hair, as nails is not alive, that is why it cannot regenarate as the skin. A broken hair or a broken nail cannot reverse its damage as the skin does.

Just had a talk with my sister who has been a professional hairdresser and asked her few questions about greys.

She said even though the science keeps telling you the melanin is the main component missing from a white hair, in her opinion there is a lot more about it than just color. She told me that is like a white hair has lost the "nerve" that was previously feeding up that hair, thus, keepint it alive, flexible, shiny, healthy.

However I agree with my sister that even though is not alive it does get fed by the medula (what se compared to a nerve), Otherwise I cannot explain how some diets or supplements can improve your hair while others can make its condition really bad.

Same with scalp. Monistat is a good example about how some topicals when applied directly to the scalp affect and produce changes on the actual hair, therefore i personally think, regardless the science behind, there is a direct response in the hair about topicals and diet.

So back to the OP question, how to deal with the wiry nature of grey hairs. Sounds like not everybody's greys are wirey, but mine sure are. This is a big problem for me too, Zenity. I have asked about it before on here and gotten some help - some people accept this and call their stiff ones their "Graylo" I henna so mine are red but it doesn't substantially change their texture. SMT's help a little, prewash overnight coconut oiling helps a little, and I use Aloe Vera gel to stick the crazy ones down when I put my hair up. This all helps, but I would not call the problem solved.
I'm super eager to hear other ideas as to what to do with the waist length grey ones at this point, because I don't think veganism or raw food is going to help me at this point. I've been a vegan for substantial portions of my past, and it did not help with this problem.

I have been thinking as greys tend to be kind of afro hair in texture, maybe trying afroamerican hair care products and other stuff designed for afro hair care wouldn't suit better our white hair... any thoughts?

I recall watching few vids on youtube from a user called ateya, or something like that and she did really improved her hair texture with what she called her aphogee regime.

Problem is when you are not totally grey yet, but like you or me have mixed hair. What a dilemma! Treating your canopy in a certain way while the rest of your hair requires other care... Phfffff! Way to much work for those with long hair like me...

Will keep brainstorming.

Thank you guys for your contributions! :blossom:
Keep the ideas, comments, or whatever you have in mind coming!

SerinaDaith
August 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I started white, silver at 19 as did my dad and his mom and her mom, sorry that is as far back as I can trace. Our diet is not the cause our genetics are. My mom did not start getting white hair until she was in her 40s my silvers are early like dads but started in my canopy like my moms. I am trying to eat well for overall health not to get rid of what genetics preordained. I find coconut oil softens all of my hair, not just the silver or natural so it is my go too for everything. My hair is not as stiff and breakable overall.

Peggy E.
August 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM
My hair is silver/white/gray - but more silver. It is fine, the shaft appears to be the same thickness as when the color pigment remained, but is thinning quite a bit. So far, texture has remained the straight with slight annoying wave in inconvenient location.

However, my scalp - which is more visible now - is a not-so-lovely shade of deep pink-red. Looks like it's been attacked with knives, or something. Not nice.....

I use a shampoo for gray hair, a French brand whose name has flown my brain at the moment, that smells absolutely wonderful! Probably use it more for the perfume than what it does for my hair, though it makes my hair shine like nothing else.

So will vinegar/water, but not with the lovely perfume!

I use a leave-in lght conditioner on the top and 3/4s down the length of hair; the ends I treat with a salve, as they are now particularly dry and easily damaged.

If I use the CO to cleanse my hair, it leaves my hair a solid grease-ball - as it is today, which is going to be the last time I do this! I thought maybe I hadn't washed it out completely, but I know I did. My silver just sucks it up and it's like a jar of Brylcreme on my head.

Nice and soft, no flyaways, easily put up, but looks like it should be dripping oil!

Yuck!

Zenity
September 15th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Bumping this tread as I have found really interesting information on a patent for hair and nails growth:

https://www.google.com/patents/US6203782?dq=color+restoration+hair&hl=es&sa=X&ved=0CDkQ6AEwA2oVChMIyrCmk6r3xwIVTS_bCh3tIgrM

Very valuable information worth to read

Method and product for promoting hair growth and treating skin conditions
US 6203782 B1

Example 1 Method of Preparation for a Treatment Composition Employed in Prior Testing

Principal testing was carried out with a treatment composition including a tincture of Foeniculum vulgares (fennel seed) in combination with a tincture of Carum carvi (caraway seeds). A preferred treatment composition of the invention is marketed under the trade name HAIRPRIMEŽ (11.5 wt. % fennel tincture in IPM, 1.2 wt. % dispersed gum mastic in IPM, 0.6 wt. % acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylates copolymer, 0.5 wt. % diazolidinyl urea, 0.1-0.5 wt. % triethanolamine, 0.25 wt. % potassium sorbate, 0.2 wt. % methyl paraben, 0.2 wt. % fragrance, 0.15 wt. % masking herbal formula in IPM, 0.1 wt. % caraway tincture in IPM, and 0.05 wt. % propylparaben, remainder purified water to 100 wt. %) available from Universal Biologics, Inc.

The primary herb, Foeniculum vulgares, was first ground into a powder and tinctured in isopropyl myristate (IPM), as a solvent in a ratio of about one part by weight of fennel seed powder to three parts by weight of IMP solvent.

Vegetable gum, or gum mastic, (as a preferred carrier) was dispersed separately into IPM solvent in a ratio of about ten parts by weight IPM solvent and one part by weight gum mastic.

The fennel tincture was allowed to stand for about two weeks, mixing the tincture from time to time. After two weeks, the tincture was filtered to produce a clear liquid.

The clear fennel tincture was mixed in a blender with the dispersed mastic gum in a ratio of about nine parts by weight fennel tincture and about one part by weight gum mastic solution to produce a fennel tincture solution.

A second tincture was prepared by grinding Carum carvi (caraway seeds) into a powder which was then tinctured in isopropyl myristate in a ratio of about one part by weight caraway seeds and about nine parts by weight of IPM solvent. This tincture was also allowed to stand for two weeks, with stirring. Thereafter, the caraway tincture was filtered to also produce a clear liquid.

About 3% by weight of the caraway tincture was then added to the clear fennel tincture solution to form a combined herb tincture solution.

About 0.5% by weight of a selected fragrance and about 1.5% by weight of a masking formula tincture, based on the clear fennel tincture, were then added to the combined herb tincture solution. The masking formula tincture was formed from eight different herbs used to produce a masking herb tincture in the same manner as described above for the fennel tincture and the caraway tincture. The eight herbs included in the masking formula tincture included Herba drynariae, Fructus psoraleae, Polygoni multiform, Herba agastache, Thuja, Camomile, Mentha and Hibiscus.

The above components combined as described formed the basic active product for the treatment product of the invention. The basic active product was mixed with a gelling agent in a ratio of about one part by weight of basic active product and about twelve parts by weight of gelling agent. The gelling agent consisted of one part by weight of hydroxyethylcellulose and fifty parts by weight of water with a preservative added as necessary or desired.

Of the components noted immediately above, the fragrance and masking formula tincture were selected for producing a pleasing aroma in the basic active product while masking the harsher smell of certain components such as the volatile oils from the fennel seed. The gum mastic was used for two purposes. Initially, it helps to mask the strong smell of fennel volatile oils. In addition, the gum mastic serves as a good carrier with a capability for penetrating into the skin and/or hair follicles. The gelling agent is used in a manner common for cosmetics and other medicinal preparations to control the consistency and other physical characteristics of the product. Thus, the final concentration of components, with broad ranges in parentheses (by weight), in the resulting treatment product include:

1. Fennel tincture in IPM - 7.5% (0.2 to nearly 100%)

2. Dispersed gum mastic in IPM - 0.8% (0.02-10%)

3. Caraway tincture in IPM - 0.25% (0.025-30%)

4. Masking formula in IPM - 0.15% (0.05-25%)

5. Fragrance - 0.20% (varied as necessary)

6. Preservative - 0.1% (varied as necessary)

7. ULTRAGEL - as necessary (q.s 100%, balance)

Total - 100% by weight

Test results from a treatment composition formed according to the invention as described above are set forth below.

Test Results

1. Hair loss was halted within 2-6 weeks. Nearly 100% of the participants who complained of prior hair loss reported that hair loss stopped.

2. After four months of treatment, in over 80% of the subjects, initiation of follicle hair growth was observed. Even in those few who did not report hair growth but who continued the treatment, initiation of hair growth was observed after about six months. After one year of treatment in both men and women, in generally all states of baldness, new hair growth was observed in over ninety percent of the test subjects. These results were based upon tests with a group of about 10 men and women.

3. Female participants observed approximately 50-60% initiation of follicle hair growth.

4. It was generally noted that almost all participants in tests of the invention reported improvement in hair quality, thickness and health.

5. The participants also commonly reported a substantial decrease in dandruff. Similarly, those participants with seborrheic dermatitis also reported very significant improvement. Tests for psoriatic lesions in a few patients having those conditions also showed significant improvement. Excellent therapeutic results were noted for treatment according to the present invention in all scalp and skin ailments including but not limited to itching, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis of the scalp.

6. Continued testing according to Example 1 and other examples of the present invention having indicated that use of the present invention, particularly in men over a period of about six months has achieved nearly a 100% response in reported hair growth and termination of hair loss.

7. During observation of results from tests as described above, a dramatic effect was also noted in the restoration of original hair color to gray or white hair. In this context, original hair color refers to the color of the hair before turning white. Accordingly, this effect of the invention is also referred to herein as remelanization of the hair. Thus, new hair growth and hair replaced as a part of the natural hair growth cycle according to the invention tended to restore melanin in the hair, or to achieve remelanization in the hair as noted above, so that those test subjects with graying hair were observed to have noticeably darkened hair, that is, hair approaching the original color before turning gray or an enhanced or changed color. This effect of color restoration or remelanization in the hair was noted in the vast majority of the test subjects with graying hair, nearly 100%.
Example 2

More specific test procedures were carried out with thirty individuals, both men and women, ranging in age from about 23 to about 80. These test subjects employed the treatment product of the invention prepared in accordance with Example 1 for periods of time ranging from as little as six days to as long as approximately six months.

The test subjects, at initiation of testing, had a variety of hair conditions ranging from substantially bald through receding hairlines to thinning hair and full heads of hair with varying degrees of hair falling out. Of approximately fifteen test subjects employing the treatment product of the invention for more than two months, only one test subject experienced no substantial change.

The other fourteen test subjects experienced varying degrees of success ranging from substantial new hair growth to hair loss being controlled at a normal rate for individuals with generally healthy heads of hair. Of the fifteen test subjects employing the treatment product of the invention for less than two months, six subjects experienced no change. Of those six subjects, three had employed the treatment product for less than two weeks. The remainder of the fifteen test subjects using the treatment product for less than two months also experienced varying degrees of success ranging from new hair growth to loss of hair being in a normal range.

The results of Examples 1 and 2 demonstrate the efficacy and effectiveness of the treatment product of Example 1.

Zenity
September 15th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Example 3

Based upon theory, study of test results as set forth above and other factors, it is contemplated that a range of treatment products can be produced employing different active ingredients selected as noted above from the various compounds and/or herbs to produce similar results as in Examples 1 and 2. However, those results may not be as substantial in view of the preferred herb being employed in the treatment product of Example 1. It is contemplated that the other herbs and/or compounds of the present invention as described above will produce similarly effective treatment compositions.
Example 4

The various treatment products as generally discussed in Example 3 are topically applied in the same manner noted above. In all of the examples, internal consumption may enhance treatment when combined with topical application. In particular, similar topical application is contemplated for various hair and skin conditions. In each such application, the treatment composition is topically applied to the area with the particular affliction.

In Examples 2-4, a dramatic result of the invention was observed in terms of substantial restoration of hair color to the hair color of the subject prior to the hair becoming gray or enhanced, changed or darker color or in other words, remelanization in the hair. The results accomplished by the various treatment products described above and particularly in Examples 1-4 are described below with reference to a double-blind placebo controlled study using proven state-of-the-art technology.

The study set forth below particularly illustrates the effectiveness of the invention from a double-blind study performed with suitable controls.
Example 5

Double Blind Clinical Trial for Androgenetic Alopecia: Topical Treatment With The Treatment Product of the Invention A Standardized 7.5% Herbal Extract Preparation

Twenty-four healthy male subjects with Stable III-IV androgenetic alopecia were enrolled in a randomized, double-blind, parallel vehicle-controlled study to confirm the effectiveness and safety of a topically applied, standardized herbal preparation (the treatment product of the invention) cream 7.5 wt. % used once daily in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.

Androgenetic alopecia is the most common cause of hair loss affecting one third of both men and women. In preliminary studies, the treatment product of the invention, a standardized herbal extract in a vehicle, produced encouraging results as a hair growth agent. In one pilot study, all 18 subjects showed increased hair counts, averaging 119%. A very high percentage (50-100%) of conversion from vellus to terminal hair, and hair remelanization (50-100%) was observed.

Materials and Method

Study Design and Medications

The treatment product of the invention is a standardized 7.5 wt. % herbal extract in a cream base vehicle. The extract is standardized by replicative methods, including standardization against specific compounds which appear naturally in the extract.

A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was conducted to compare the effect of the treatment product of the invention on hair growth in males with androgenetic alopecia against its placebo vehicle. Patients applied the cream to the scalp daily, at approximately 24 hour intervals, for 40 weeks and were seen in the clinic for efficacy and evaluation every 4 weeks throughout the study.

Twenty-four healthy male subjects under the age of 55 were selected for the study. The average age of the participants in the active group was 45.6 years versus 40.5 years for the placebo group. All subjects had State III-IV androgenetic alopecia. Eight subjects had excessive hair loss. The initial evaluation included health history, physical exam and evaluation of the alopecia condition. Any subjects with underlying diseases or subjects using systemic drugs (e.g., steroids, anti-hypertensives, cytotoxic compounds, vasodilators, anti-convulsant drugs, beta blockers, spironolactone, cimetidine, cyclosporine, anti-depressants) were excluded from the study. Each subject was tattooed with a permanent ink on their vertex area, creating a one centimeter triangle. The hair in the triangle was collected and the subjects entered an 8 week baseline period evaluation before beginning treatment.

Using a randomized, double-blind protocol, the subjects were given either the treatment product of the invention or a placebo of vehicle only. Both the active and the placebo groups were each randomly assigned four subjects with excessive hair loss. Subjects washed their hair daily with shampoo and applied the treatment product of the invention cream to the scalp daily, leaving the cream on for twenty-four hours. Subjects were followed every four weeks and had their hair collected six times at eight week intervals (eight weeks at baseline and an additional forty weeks of follow-up).

Assessment Procedures

Two the commonly used methods of evaluating hair growth are:

(1) counting the hair on the scalp in a marked area and (2) various photographic techniques. Both methods can have a large margin of error due to the difficulty in counting hair on the scalp and the possibility of photographing a bent hair shaft and counting it as two hairs. To avoid these problems a more accurate method for evaluating hair growth was employed, based on a protocol developed by Price (Dermatol., 95:683-687, 1990). The hair growth evaluation included: total hair count, terminal (non-vellus, melanized, mature) hair count, hair length, and total hair weight.

Each subject was tattooed with permanent ink at three points on their vertex area creating a one centimeter triangle. After rinsing the hair of the permanent site with water and soap, the hair was washed with acetone to remove any debris that could change its weight. The hair from the triangle was collected using great care to harvest only within the marked area.

The hair collected was placed on white paper, counted and then divided into terminal hair and vellus hair. The terminal hairs were then counted. The ten randomly selected hairs were also measured for length as part of the evaluation.

The total weight of all the hair samples collected were measured on an analytical scale using the same paper, on the same day, to avoid variations in temperature and humidity.

Results

Efficacy results demonstrate that the treatment product of the invention cream, used once daily, is more effective than the placebo cream vehicle in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia. The initial and final measurements of the active and placebo groups are presented in Table II and Table III below. Table IV compares the average percentage change from baseline of the total hair count, terminal hair count, total hair weight, and average hair length of the ten sample hairs, between the group treated with the product of the invention and the placebo-treated group.

After 40 weeks, 70% of the subjects in the active group had greater than a 30% increase in total hair count, compared with 16% of the subjects in the placebo group. The average total hair count for the group treated with the composition of the invention increased by 77.4%, compared to a 3% increase for the placebo treated subjects (average p value=0.005) (FIG. 1). 90% of the subjects in the active group had greater than a 30% increase in terminal hair counts, compared with 33% of the subjects in the placebo group. The average terminal hair count for the group treated with the composition of the invention increased by 169.4% over the same period, as compared to a 33.9% increase for the placebo treated group (average p=0.001) (FIG. 2). The average total hair weight of the active group increased by 49.3% compared to a 20.5% increase for the placebo group (p value=0.16). All the subjects in the active group had increased total hair weight, whereas 41.6% of the subjects in the placebo group had decreased total hair weight. The average hair length change for the 10 randomly selected hairs was 29.8% for the active group and 21.7% for the placebo (p=0.50).

No local irritation, sensitization or other adverse effects were observed or reported in either the active or placebo groups.

A preferred treatment composition of the invention is marketed under the trade name HAIRPRIMEŽ (11.5 wt. % fennel tincture in IPM, 1.2 wt. % dispersed gum mastic in IPM, 0.6 wt. % acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylates copolymer, 0.5 wt. % diazolidinyl urea, 0.1-0.5 wt. % triethanolamine, 0.25 wt. % potassium sorbate, 0.2 wt. % methyl paraben, 0.2 wt. % fragrance, 0.15 wt. % masking herbal formula in IPM, 0.1 wt. % caraway tincture in IPM, and 0.05 wt. % propylparaben, remainder purified water to 100 wt. %) available from Universal Biologics, Inc.

Here is the link for the brand they manufactured http://www.hairprime.com/ however I do not see all the ingredients here.
Also I have found it in another webiste for ordering and it is quite pricey.

When reading the patent caught my attention that effects wher improved when orally consuming the same herbs.
Also it works for any keratin based fiber, nails too.

VERY INTERESTING!

Zenity
September 15th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Also I am linking / copying this for my own reference: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131722&page=3

Maybe you will enjoy reading this:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20020166182

I believe is the patent of hair print or a very similar product

Efforts have been made in the past to provide a hair dyeing process that mirrors the formation of the hairs' natural pigment, melanin. These efforts relied in general upon treatment of hair with a recognized intermediate of the melanin pathway, most often tyrosine or DOPA or its analogs resulting in formation of melanin and consequent colouring of hair. An oxidative post-treatment is usually required to get satisfactory, fast colours.

[0005] DOPA is available naturally in nature. It can also be prepared synthetically and many hair compositions use the synthetic form that is available commercially. However, there have been some problems associated with the use of synthetic DOPA. Synthetic DOPA is reported to be unstable and to have a tendency to oxidise prematurely. Moreover, it can also be costly to synthesise. Further, there is a consumer preference for natural products as these are perceived to be safe.

[0006] An example of a natural source of DOPA is Mucuna, a genus belonging to the family Leguminosae with about 15 species, some of which can be found in India. Annual or perennial twining herbs or shrubs distributed in the tropics and subtropics, Mucuna includes many species like Mucuna urens, Mucuna puriens and Mucuna sloanei.

[0007] While providing for a stable, natural form of DOPA to darken skin or hair is highly desirable, colour substantivity to the keratinic fibre and colour fastness is often difficult to achieve with natural materials.

The present invention provides for a system for colouring hair and/or skin comprising at least three separately packaged components: a) a thio compound capable of cutting the cysteine bond and an alkaline reagent which may or may not be separately packaged b) Mucuna and c) an oxidising agent. The colouring system may be suitably supplied in the form of a combination kit. A method of dyeing skin and/or hair is also provided comprising the sequential steps of application of the thio compound and alkaline reagent followed by the application of Mucuna and finally applying the oxidising agent.

In a preferred embodiment, the method comprises the specific sequence of

[0029] a. treating hair and/or skin with a thio compound capable of cutting the cysteine S—S bond in the form of a fluid composition having a concentration of from 0.01 to 8% weight/volume and an alkaline reagent.

[0030] b. applying to the hair and/or skin mucuna and/or its extract in the form of a fluid composition having a concentration of from 0.1 to 99% weight/volume and

[0031] c. treating the hair and/or skin with a fluid composition of an oxidising agent having a concentration of from 0.01 to 5% weight/volume.

My knowledge on chemistry is zero but to me the "translation" of this compared to the ingredient list would be:
a) a thio compound capable of cutting the cysteine bond and an alkaline reagent which may or may not be separately packaged - Baking soda?
b) Mucuna
c) an oxidising agent- Hydrogen peroxide???

The second part corresponds to the 3 step application that hairprint requires

Zenity
September 16th, 2015, 12:45 AM
A thread that talks about this: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=35752&start=125

Zenity
September 24th, 2015, 04:09 PM
linking this thread on hairprint:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131722

Zenity
September 24th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Super interesting testimony on how ginger and combing reversed gray hair:
http://naturopathicinstitute.info/restore-your-natural-hair-color-with-a-comb-by-joyce-wang/

I stopped putting dye on my hair at the end of April 2014 and started combing my hair using a wooden comb. I talk to my mom by computer with a picture once a week. She is 85 years old now. She is in China, and I don’t see her very often. One time when I was visiting with my mom, my 3rd elder sister came to visit my mom, she talked with me, and I saw her hair was all black. I asked her if she colored her hair. She said no, she has never colored her hair, because she doesn’t like chemicals.

But when I had visited China in 2012, her hair was white; in less than 2 years, her hair was almost all black again. She told me she combs her hair 50 times every day. She demonstrated how she combed her hair 50 times in front and 50 times in back. She also used fresh ginger slices to rub on the hair roots, maybe once a month. She did it for a year; she learned this from a Chinese health TV program. She was so happy that she got a full head with natural black hair at age 60! I follow her ways, and maybe, my hair can turn to black also.

Actually, this wasn’t the first time to see someone have a full head of thick and black hair just by combing the hair. About 5 years ago, while attending a wedding, I saw a lady in front of me had thick and black hair wrapped as a bun on the back of her head. I thought, they are colored or fake hairs. After the wedding ceremony, I went to talk to her and commented on her beautiful hair. She was so happy to hear comments, and she untied her hair, I was so shocked, because her hair was so long, it reached her knee!

I asked her if the hair was all her own hair or not, and she said yes. I asked what kind of products she used to grow such abundant and natural hair. She told me she was 60 years old. She said she didn’t used any “special” products, she just combed her hair more. She reached to her purse and took a wooden comb out and then, showed me how to comb her hair. She bent her head forward first, and then, let the hair hang in the air, and then, she started to comb her hair. She combed it about 30 to 40 times, and then, she raised up her head and pulled the hair back to her head, and combed her hair for another 30 – 40 times. I was so surprised to see that she dared to comb her hair so many times without being afraid of losing her hair.

I asked if she was afraid to lose her hair by combing it so many times, and she said no. As a matter of fact, she didn’t lose hair, but her hair grew more and more, thicker and thicker, darker and darker. She was living in New York at the time. She said the photographers in N.Y. took many of photos of her hair, because not many people at age 60 could still own such luscious thick and long natural black hair. She encouraged me to comb my hair, not color it.

Days I Put Ginger Root Juice On My Hair:

5/13/14 – 3rd time
6/20/14 – 4th time
6/30/14 – 5th time
7/29/14 – 6th time
10/19/14 – 7th time
10/30/14 – 8th time

My hair went from all white at the beginning, and then, turned gray, now, mostly black. Even the few white ones are not snow white any more, but more grayish.

Why should we comb the hair for more than 20 times a day?

When we comb the hair, we stimulate the blood circulation, and blood will flow to the hair root, feed the root, and get rid of the waste, make the hair grow with the natural color and reduce the chance of losing hair. Usually, when we comb our hair, we do it in a hurry, and comb only a few times, maybe less than 10 times for a woman. I know some men will not even comb their hair every day; maybe, this is one of the reasons some men lose their hair!

When we comb our hair more, we make the meridians flow freely, let the chi and blood go through very well, make our head relaxed, our eyes clear, and our ears can hear better. It calms the mind and liver, it can help with the faintness, headache, ear ringing, insomnia, migraine, and depression, etc.

Comb the hair more times; it can stimulate the acupuncture pressure points and the meridians, working similar to acupuncture on the head. It can help relieve the fatigue and tiredness, keep the mind calm or relaxed.

What kind of combs are the good ones?

The quality of the wooden combs can have significant effects on the health of our hair. Choose the combs that have even and complete “teeth,” have the right width between each tooth, the space is not too narrow, and not too wide, just right. The end of the teeth will not be too sharp; otherwise, it will scratch the skin and may cause injury. For long curly hair, choose combs that have wider teeth, so the comb can go through the hair smoothly without tangling the hair.

You want to comb the head, not just the hair!

Method 1: From the back to front. Bend your head forward, let the hair to fall to the front, and start from the back of the head, from the base of the skull. Comb about 50 times on the right side, and then, the left side 50 times, include the middle (the governing meridian). If there is any soreness or pain blockage on the head, comb more and a little bit harder, but not so it hurts. Comb the hair, use even pressure, not hurtful, but feels warm, comfortable.

Method 2: Sideways: part the hair in the middle of the head, comb to each side, left and right, until it feels warm and comfortable on the head.

Method 3: From front to back: pull all of the hair to the back of the head, comb from the front to the back of the head. Start from the middle, the governing meridian, which will help with dizziness headaches, and provide more energy.

The governing, both bladder and both gall bladder meridians, all five run through the head. When we comb the hair, we help all five of these meridians which improves digestion, prevents colds and flu, helps with urinary concerns and restlessness. Clearing these will also help with more energy in the day time and better sound sleep in the night.

Warning: Don’t comb your hair right after a big meal; it will affect your digestion. Because when you comb your hair, the blood will rush to the head, and there will be less blood for digestion. Do not use too much pressure or comb for too long a time, this can all damage your hair. Moderation is key. If you have long or curly hair, when combing the hair, do not forcefully pull or tear the hair, it can break or damage the hair.

Dandruff Treatments If you have the itchy condition of the scalp, the top layer of the skin sheds the dead cells at a faster rate than normal. The old skin is like white flakes in the hair or on the clothes.

Some skin problems are a sign of the body out of balance, not in the best health condition. Too much junk food and vitamin and good fat deficiencies may cause this problem. Staying up too late, insomnia, too much hot or spicy foods, using the wrong kind of shampoo or conditioner will also make dandruff.

At fall and winter, when the weather is getting cold, we will have higher chance of dandruff. When we use the electric hair dryer to dry out hair, the water evaporates faster, we lose too much water, and this may cause the inflammation of the scalp and cause more dandruff on the head. We may dry our hair naturally or use the electric dryer to blow it half dry and then, massage some hair oil or lotion into the scalp. This will prevent the dandruff.

We can also use bitter herbs internally, such as dandelion or gentian to help the detox process. Nettle and burdock can be used as well. All of these can be found in a blend called Liver Cleanse.

Also an interesting pattent on hair loss reversal:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140079815

Hairkay
September 24th, 2015, 05:56 PM
I'm not combing my hair 50 times a day when I've gone grey. My tight curls do not allow it. I'd probably end up bald. My scalp already gets massage. I do like my hair black but I know it won't be like that forever. I like ginger so I'd be curious of how it can be used outside of my cooking. I'd have to be careful with my sensitive skin though. I already have no problem ingesting lemon but when my skin is having a outbreak, just even a tiny bit of lemon juice that accidentally lands on my skin feels like a painful burn.

Zenity
December 5th, 2015, 07:08 AM
According to this patent using tretinoin plus ammonium lactate do color hair...

https://www.google.com/patents/US5273739?dq=grey+hair+retinoic+acid&hl=es&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2yNuz8MTJAhWEwBQKHWA-DaQQ6AEIHTAA

My invention is a topical application of a combination of two sets of ingredients, either applied together in a common mixture, or applied independently as topical applications to the skin of a person for the purpose of producing a suntanned appearance in the skin of the user, and or causing the darkening of the color of some of the grayed hair growing out of skin areas to which the treatment has been applied.

Deborah
December 5th, 2015, 11:38 AM
I have very little white in my dark hair, but the texture is just the same as my other hairs. Not everyone's hair changes texture as the color changes.

Crystawni
December 5th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Agreed, Deborah. My whites (and I have plenty) are the same texture as the rest of my hair, act the same way, and are resistant to colouring (as is all my hair).

Sarahlabyrinth
December 5th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Mine are the same texture as the rest of my hair.

chen bao jun
December 8th, 2015, 05:05 PM
I will be the fourth to say this. My grey hair is just like the rest. Not that I have a lot yet at age 58, but they are coming much faster now than they were.

I sincerely doubt that eating vegan and raw does anything for keeping your hair un-grey. If so, a significant amount of people in China and India where the religion values that would not be grey, ever. And this is not the case. Matter of fact, where I'm from, though people eat meat, they eat a lot less of it than the US. People go grey there the same as here. I do have an uncle who eats vegan and raw. he is completely grey and quite bald, too. Of course, he didn't start until he was like 88 years old and was already grey and bald. He is 93 now and attributes being very mobile and active and intelligent to eating vegan, but like I said, he ate meat until age 88 and used to eat quite a lot of beef. Organic, grass-fed and all that of course. He lives in an area where there is always some food fad and he does them all. currently he's not only vegan and raw but has given up eating oil, even coconut oil--oil is the latest thing supposed to be bad for you. Except a very little sesame oil, according to him.

I haven't asked him if its also bad to put coconut oil or other oil on hair, since as I said, he doesn't really have much hair.

Now my uncles on the other side, who drink copious amounts of alcohol and coffee; eat practically raw steak in huge amounts, and smoke cigarettes like chimney stacks, not only all seem to die with full heads of hair that aren't grey at all, with no need need for hair dye--not only that, but they look much younger than they are. The last one is now 75, married to his third wife who is not sixty yet, and people always thinks he's much younger than she is, it annoys her no end. But he really does look as if he's in his early fifties at most. And not grey. On the other hand, he will not live to 93, none of them do on that side. Genetics has an astonishing effect on what our bodies do and how we age and so forth--environment has some, but it is crazy how much you inherit that doesn't change in spite of all effort. the blueprint, so to speak.