PDA

View Full Version : For everyone who works out a lot...

blaketob
August 26th, 2012, 05:42 AM
How do you wear your hair when you are working out. Lately I have been running on the treadmill frequently and I also do hot bikram yoga about twice a week. I don't know how to wear my hair though! I tend to shed a lot during/after I work out and have massive tangles. How do you wear your hair to prevent tangles and shedding? I tried braids but I think that contributes more to my shedding.

shutterpillar
August 26th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I put mine in a single french braid.... if braids dont work for you, then I dont know what to tell you. Maybe try some different buns? I can get a couple styles of stick buns to hold just as well as braids do.

spookyghost
August 26th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Im a ponytail gale! There are alot of people on here who say that wearing a ponytail in the same spot causes damage, and maybe it does, but I have no hair talent what so ever and my only option is the pony tail. I have damage from bleach highlights and past flat iron use. I havent noticed anything from a ponytail. Thats me though. Everyone is different and some people may get damage from it. But I work out alot-and I mean alot. I run, do yoga, lift weights, bike, etc. I cant stand my hair in my face. I cant even clean my house without a pony because my hair is always in my face and I cant see!

So it works for me!

kitcatsmeow
August 26th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Top knot which is pretty much how I wear my hair 24/7 or a french braid. Although top knows aren't always the best for yoga (hello head stands!)

pink.sara
August 26th, 2012, 06:31 AM
2 French or Dutch braids, braided all the way to the ends, I also oil or put a bit of neat conditioner on when I'm plaiting to keep it neat and stop it being dry and tangling.

On my way to the gym with 2 Dutch braids for leg day right now :)

lmfbs
August 26th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Double dutch braids braided into a single dutch. It's easy as I can lay on it without problems and it shortens up my tail so I don't accidentally hit other gym-goers.

julliams
August 26th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I have just started running (couch to 5K) and do Pump Classes. A simple ponytail works perfectly for me. Anything else is too fussy. I don't notice any difference to shedding and I don't seem to sweat alot so I'm not finding myself having to wash any more often than when I wasn't working out.

alexis917
August 26th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I run 5ks, I'm training for a half marathon, and love to use an exercise bike! I just use a satin...or is it silk? Well, the fabric is very smooth and doesn't seem like it's abrasive towards my hair. I use that scrunchie and just put my hair into one of those messy, loose ponybuns. If my shorter layers fall out I add a cloth headband in. Braids always annoy me because they bob up and down as I run. When it comes to styling my hair though, I'm a bit of an underachiever anyway!

Tota
August 26th, 2012, 07:34 AM
A topknot (secured with claw clips) or a french/dutch braid or a braided bun (secured with spin pins).

Kelikea
August 26th, 2012, 07:45 AM
For jogging or bouncing (I have a rebounder) its usually a bunned pony tail or a bun without the pony tail, held by two claw clips, one on each side of the bun. It takes two to hold securely with all the bouncing, and this way it is not pulling all in one place. For yoga, pony tail bun held by one claw clip, that way I can take out the claw quickly if I need to do headstand or something on my back, then twist it back up super quick.

I don't like to have a braid hanging down because I hate the way it falls every time I bend forward. Walk/jogging is ok with a braid hanging, but if it swings too much, it can rub on your back and create friction damage.

If you vary the height of the pony tail or bun each time, you won't get so much damage in one spot.

CarpeDM
August 26th, 2012, 07:59 AM
My staple hairdo for running is two braids.

Iolanthe13
August 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I generally do a high and tight "ballerina" bun or, for swimming, a high braid stuffed into a swim cap - not sure if those styles would help with the shedding though. Maybe some sort of secure crown braid would work for you? There wouldn't be too much pressure or pulling on any one part of the scalp, and it would certainly keep the tangles at bay.

nmarie33
August 27th, 2012, 11:11 AM
For me the best thing nowadays is two English or Dutch/French pigtails brought into a heidi style. It keeps all the hair tucked away, and keeps the back of your head free for things you do laying down (bench press, situps, etc.) I don't like a braid hanging down because it flops in the way or gets caught under the weight bar sometimes.

For roller derby, I use a braid or pigtail braids, since I need my helmet to fit over my head. But my pigtails are starting to be long enough to get in the way at derby, so I will have to start folding them up somehow.

jacqueline101
August 27th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I pony tail.

TheMechaGinger
August 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I do double french or dutch braids, and if I know I'm gonna be washing my hair after I work out I'll go ahead and oil them too. I can't do buns because I bounce around too much and they just fall out

BrownEyedBeauty
September 4th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I sometimes will wear my hair in a ponytail but then I worry about how the ends could suffer damage from all of the bouncing. I more often now will wear my hair completely up in a bun style to fully protect it. Being a part of TLHC has made me that much more cautious of inflicting potential damage to my hair.

veggielocks
September 17th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I was searching through the threads to find someone else who is doing bikram yoga frequently. I also go 2-3 times a week. I wear them in 2 long braids. (see profile pic) A single braid bothers me too much because I can't get my neck to be flat in Pavana Muktasana (Wind removing pose) or irritates me when I lay in Savasana.
I'm wondering how to protect my hair from sweat....I am totally drenched and my braids are dripping after class.
If you oil your hair before class, does it get all over your body and mat from the sweat dripping down? I have been going for almost two years and i feel like my hair is so much drier now.
If I just did CO washes, would it get out the sweat?
I have been using SLS-free and cone free shampoo/conditioner for several years.
I feel like I need a better hair routine!

melusine963
September 17th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I haven't found a satisfactory way to wear my hair yet. A braid annoys me when it bounces around, but I haven't been able to make a bun that holds securely while I run. A cinnabun with spin pins only stays put half the time.

bjt
September 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
yup, one or two braids for me too. I can never get a bun to hold on the treadmill. two braids are better for me with yoga but I'm more likely to do weight lifting, so a single braid or bun works fine for that.

As for the sweat question, I get to the gym 4 or 5 times a week but can't wash it that often, so I often just rinse it out. Not a perfect solution but I don't know what else to do about it.

Lyytikka
September 17th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I make a french braid for plates. It is satisfactory for my length. I made cinnabun with spin pins for a couple of times, it got loosened but still ok. I used to also make ponytail when I go to fitness.

Vrindi
September 17th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I'll do a bun if I'm not going to be laying down on it. Pony tails are ok. For running, I'll do a braid usually, or pigtail braids that I then tie together at the bottom with an elastic. It keeps them from bouncing around too much, but leaves the back of my neck uncovered so I can get a nice breeze. I would love to wear it in a crown braid, but every time I attempt one, I end up with my hands tangled in a tangled mess of hair.

Deborah
September 17th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I put mine in a sloppy high bun held by a ficarre AND a large claw clip. Alone, either can loosen up, but together they hold through anything.

Clytemnestra
September 17th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I run every morning so wear side braids folded up and tied with silk wrapped elastic bands that I bought from a shop on Etsy.

novemberfoxtrot
September 17th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I've been putting my hair in a braided bun but I twist the braid like you would for a cinnabun and then put two spin pins in it. This puts the braid right at the base of my head and it has been very secure!

bratz81
September 18th, 2012, 01:24 AM
I usually put my hair in twin braids. I used to ponytail but found that it was annoying when lying down, for sit ups or bench press etc, and would stick to the back of my neck more.

gnome82
September 18th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Hi :D I twin braid. I try not to rinse unless I sweat to the point of having an itchy scalp by the end of my workout. :cool:

Bagginslover
September 18th, 2012, 02:05 AM
A cinnabun held with 4 crimped amish pins. Solid as a rock! Sometimes its so solid I have trouble getting the pins back out!!