PDA

View Full Version : Need serious help

murkypon
August 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Moving this post from the new forum under advisement of one of your members. Sorry if you've already seen it!

------------------------

A foreword: I wrote a lot here to give background in the hopes I would get better advice because of it. If you don't feel like reading it all, just take a look at the part from the photo on, please. I'm just desperate.

So... I have recently been lurking your forums a great deal. And, while doing so, I stumbled across the visual hair typing guide, which brought me to a startling revelation--I had NO idea what my natural hair looked like. Not just color--we're talking texture, thickness, etc. What I thought I had was baby fine, brownish, thin (due to lots of breakage), slightly wavy hair.

Why don't I know what I have? Well, I have had a hate-hate relationship with my hair for most of my life. I permed and highlighted repeatedly from ages 9-16, which is when I found my first grey hair. Since then, I've had various dyes--graduating from heavy highlights to all-over color. For about 4 years, I was having my hair done on a Navy base and the colorists apparently didn't know what they were doing. The result was that my hair turned black, which was not becoming on my very fair, pinkish complexion. To fix, about a year ago, a colorist entirely stripped my hair and redyed it red. Then he apparently lost interest in it over the year as he has been doing some very odd things to my roots as of late. Add to this, the fact that I have used all sorts of products on my hair my whole life, usually applied while it's wet, and you may understand a little more about the torture it has gone through and the reason why I have no clue what it looks like.

In any case, when I signed up and had to fill in the questions about hair type, I decided to do the shampoo-condition-air dry with no touching and products thing to find out what my hair actually looked like in its natural state. The result was sobering and has made me almost desperate.

First, it oddly began forming almost spiral-like curls. That was very surprising to me. They were very rough to the touch, but very light. I did not touch it for hours, but 5 hours later it still wasn't entirely dry. It was close, but still sort of damp. This surprised me, since my hair is quite fine and I only have a 1.5 inch ponytail circumference at the thickest point. So, since I had to leave the house, and the curls, while not gorgeous, were acceptable to me, I went out.

Fast forward to 2 hours later. I return and look in the mirror. The bottom layers stretched into wavy snaky-looking rat tails. And the top layer poofed into a cotton candy-like cloud of frizz. Photo:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...i3ugo1_500.jpg

Be aware of two things:

1) I had gently patted the poofy cloud of frizz down in this photo, but it's about ready to rear up again at the slightest breeze that passes by.

2) Yes, that is the way my roots look at the moment. Grey/brown in the middle, an odd red that my colorist seems to have decided looks good at the moment, but which doesn't match the rest of my hair, and then the darker red-brown which looks slightly greenish against the odd red.

3) The snaky tails coming out of my hair and the frizz were once spiral curls before any sort of air flow touched the hair. And all it took to get to this point was air moving past my hair. Not wind. Not a high-speed fan. Just the gentle air that sort of moves by you as you walk across the floor.

So that, I think, is all the background you need to answer the following:

1) How do I even start with hair typing? The strands are fine (or used to be when they were healthy) and are still very small, but they're quite rough when I touch them in their natural state. They certainly don't "feel like a strand of silk", but they ARE that small. My hair floats on the top of a glass of water, which should (from what I've read) indicate that it's not porous, but it took over 5 hours for it to dry. It gets really curly, but then they fall out so easily or poof... so is this curly hair, wavy hair, what? And the ponytail is about 1.5 inches at the top with lots of little baby broken hairs everywhere, but by the time you get halfway down my ponytail, it's maybe 0.25 inches. I'd love to try some recommendations, but I have no idea where to even start with the whole concept of a hair twin, or recommendations based on hair type.

2) I know I need to stop using products. I need to stop coloring. I need to stop chemically treating my hair. I need to stay away from silicones. I'm resigned to the fact that I will likely be having a number of really bad hair days from now on. But... is there anything to keep those days from being quite so bad? In general, I'd like to still cover my grays. I'm in my thirties and I get mistaken for a 20-year old regularly based on skin, but I got my first grey at 17. And though I had always planned to age gracefully, I wasn't ready to do that so young, and I'm still not ready to. Is there anything to do to tame the frizz and the general scariness without frying and/or smothering it again?

And... yeah. I'll leave you alone now. Sorry for the novel. I think I'm just so shocked from the hair typing experiment that I'm not sure how to reign it in right now.

Any and all advice/comments is very, very welcome.

murkypon
August 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Responses to a query about my hair care routine:

My hair care routine has changed over the years. I've been using Schwarzkopf BC Time Restore shampoo/conditioner for quite some time now. It seems to make my hair better looking/feeling than anything else I've tried. I do a Schwarzkopf Repair Rescue treatment on it once a month. I am completely guilty of mistreating my hair, partially because when my products are in, it looks a lot better than it does in that photo so I hadn't realized what bad shape it was really in, and then some of it was out of ignorance, too. I wore tight ponytails a lot for a number of years, even sleeping on them sometimes. I went to bed with my hair wet/damp. I didn't brush my hair carefully (i.e., when the brush hit a tangle, I'd just pull the brush through the snag with much popping of strands), I used brushes that I have just learnt on this forum weren't very good for my hair. I have, from time to time, straightened, hot rollered, curling ironed it, though rarely. Mostly I probably fried it by blowdrying. I have always blow-dried regularly. For the past few years, I've just shampooed, conditioned, added some Schwarzkopf Moisture Kick or Fekkai Glossing Cream, then blow-dried (the curl falls out easily during drying), then touched up with a silicone gloss. It looks much better when I do all of this--almost healthy and has some shine to it. Not perfect, but not horrid. That's really about it. I've tried a ton of products for curls/straight/waves over the years, and never had much luck with any. Straight hair kind of emphasizes the breakage. Most products for curls and waves are too heavy for the fineness, so I stuck with the few things that seemed to work.

I haven't had huge problems with silicones, except that many formulations are too heavy. I thought I read somewhere on the boards the comment that silicones "smother" the hair (seal it, thereby keeping moisture out), so that's why I thought I shouldn't use them. If that's not the case. that's great.

I just tried using coconut oil on it a bit ago, and ended up using something like 4 Tbsp of the oil to be able to actually get all of my hair and have no oiliness whatsoever in my hair. It just sucked it all up like a sponge. I'd touch my hand to my hair, and the oil would be gone. I just had no clue since the products were masking it so well and I had not air-dried in years, and since I always passed that water porosity test.

As far as the color goes... I believe I'm about 70% grey at this point. I just read some henna threads and was wondering if maybe that would be a viable solution until I got more comfortable with the going grey idea. It seems to be a natural, healthy manner of coloring... is that true? After seeing the natural state of my hair, I don't see myself using any more chemical dyes. Henna would be a definite interest, though, if it wouldn't damage my hair.

If you couldn't tell by now, I'm somewhat of a hair idiot. All of the hair info that I suppose I should have learned in my teens/early twenties I didn't... Regretting that now.

Oh, yeah. And my hairbrush has been one of the cheap Goody paddle brushes with the balls on the end of the bristles. Probably a bad idea with my hair. Might be time to purge my bathroom of some things.

Arakazi
August 25th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Hi! Welcome to LHC!
My advice would be to give your hair a clarify. Using 1 part of baking soda to 3 parts shampoo and then give your hair a deep treatment of some kind. Try an SMT which is 4 parts conditioner to 1 part honey and 1 part aloe vera. Leave the treatment in for 30min or longer, I left mine in over night and it made a huge difference.
I have just started using henna and I love it!
Learn how to do some updo's and some braids and don't let your hair down too much.
I am sure you will get some far better advice from more experienced LHCers though.

Alvrodul
August 25th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hello, and welcome to LHC! :)
First, I'd like to direct you to an extremely useful article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) by our own lovely Nightshade, to help you understand damaged hair.

From your description I suspect your hair is fairly damaged. You describe your hair as fine - I am also a finie, and hopefully some of my recommendations will be useful to you.
First, all hair needs a balance between protein and moisture. Due to the chemical processing your hair has been through, your hair probably needs protein - one treatment that is praised by many here, is Aphogee (I think that's what it's called, I haven't personally used it). It is also possible for you to make your own homemade protein treatments - when I have done this, I have mixed a spoonful of low-sodium soy sauce with about half a cup of water, and put this on the hair for half an hour or so. Others have had success with coconut milk or gelatine.
It can be easy to give your hair a protein overdose, so following a protein treatment with a moisture treatment will be a good idea. I love the SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128), and it is one that works for most people.
Cones - they are not evil. If your hair likes cones, go for them! And actually, with damaged hair it is quite likely that your hair will look better when you use coney products. There are a number of members here who love their cones! :D
Getting rid of your old brushes is an excellent idea! I can personally recommend these (http://hairsense.com/bone_combs.php)combs! I have the 206 and the 207 style myself, and they are my favorites!:D
BTW, I was not able to see the picture - I just got an error message when I tried to follow the link, so I can't comment on your hair type. :)

murkypon
August 25th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I'm checking out the SMTs and thank you for pointing me in that direction. I admit I'm a little overwhelmed right now. Reading and learning, though. I know this isn't going to be a quick fix.

Also, FYI, the link somehow got ruined when I copied it, and since I can't edit yet, here it is again:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9c34iFTUK1rei3ugo1_500.jpg

Once more, thank you SO very much.

ravenreed
August 25th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Start with one change at a time. Not everything works for everyone. For instance, my hair hates SMT's. So if you are only trying one new thing, you can easily tell what the culprit is if something goes wrong. One of the easiest changes is to invest in a silk or satin pillow case because it will cut down on friction for your hair. I got mine at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Alvrodul
August 25th, 2012, 10:09 PM
It looks to me as if you are in the curly range. I suggest you check out the Curly Girl method (http://thecurlyhairproblems.tumblr.com/cgmethod), and try out CO washing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) - this is something that works for most curlies.
And start reading the Wurly and Curly thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369) - I am sure you will find a home there! ;)
Hopefully this will give you a start on solving your hair problems! :)