PDA

View Full Version : Family & Hair type

EvilPigeon
March 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Does anyone have the same EXAT hair type as someone else in their family? My sister and I do, and we are 10 years apart!

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have one 3B cousin, but he just joined the Navy, so his curls are shorn. There are some 3a folks in the crowd. Most of the rest are in the two family. My Aunt, the mother of my 3B cousin is a 1A.

I do hear that I got my hair from a great-great uncle that I never got to meet...

florenonite
March 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I have the same as my mum had at my age (though hers has gotten curlier with time) and as my 14-year-old sister, but hers is a prettier colour :(

Faepirate
March 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
My hair isn't exactly the same type as anyone else in my family's. But it's probably closest to my sister's in that it's very very very thick. Hers is straighter and less frizzy than mine, but my whole family has wavy/curly hair of some description (except my dad, who now has very little hair at all ;)).

Feisty Redhead
March 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I know I have some distant cousins who have similar hair. But for the most part, I'm a total oddball in all aspects of hair. LOL My hair's thicker, coarser, and wavier/curlier than ALL of my immediate family and most of my extended family as well. As for color... again, all of my immediate family is made up of blondes and brunettes; I have to go to some distant cousins to find my fellow redheads of the family. With the exception of one uncle who's hair is now silvery white (what little hair he has left anyway... lol) but it was red in his younger days.

Antares
March 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Yep. I got Dad's hair (dead straight, extremely fine) and my brother got Mom's hair (loose curls, very coarse). Unfortunately, my brother also got the dark auburn hair that shows up every few generations, and I got medium brown. Sigh.

Himesama
March 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
My brother and I have exactly the same hair (same texture, same thickness, same color) except for the length. Since my mom's Asian and my dad was white, we are the only ones with this kind of hair in our family.

ari810
March 16th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Can someone clue me in to how one measures the volume of the hair, please. All these little i's. I am confused.

Xanthippe
March 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Well, I don't. My mom has very straight 1a hair and my dad and sister have very curly 3b hair. I got stuck in the middle! I think that is why I used to think my hair was really messed up when it was really just wavy and not like anyone else's in the family.

Wanderer09
March 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Yup. My hair is the same type and colour as my dad's.

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I am glad I am not the only oddball! I am the only one that has curly 3a hair in my family as far as I can tell. Most have 2a or straighter. My Dad's is in the 1's and my Mom's is probably 2a. My sister is maybe 2a and my brother has straightish hair like my Dad. I am REALLY glad I got my curls though wherever I got them! I have wondered if I am adopted!

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Can someone clue me in to how one measures the volume of the hair, please. All these little i's. I am confused.

Look here (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/Personal27.html) for Fia's hairtyping and measuring.

xrosiex
March 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Yes I got the same hair type as my Dad. Not the same color. But its texture is the same. Unlike my brother who is a few years older than me. He's getting very thin on the very top.

savi
March 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
My brother, same fine and wavy hair, same thickness. The color is different though. His is darker, silver color mine's pale blond. Colorwise mom's mom is the closest one.

beledigrrl
March 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Does anyone have the same EXAT hair type as someone else in their family? My sister and I do, and we are 10 years apart!
I wish I knew but most of the women in my family still relax and/or press their hair but I'm sure that my hair twin is lurking somewhere in the branches of my family tree.

girlcat36
March 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM
No, I am the only one that got the 'crazy' hair. My sister got the 'good' hair a hairdresser once told me!

wintersun99
March 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Guenever
March 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
My parents, and my brother and sister.. all have 1a/1b hair.. The only difference is the texture and the thickness.. me, my dad and my brother are all F/M/ii while my mom and sister are M/C/iii

So cheat :P

GlassEyes
March 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I'm mixed because of my mother and father, so my curls are a direct result of the mix. My mom has...well, when it's longer, probably 1c/2a-2b hair and my dad probably has 4a (It's always close cropped though).

My sister has 1a/1b/F/ii hair though. At least I think that's how thick it is. xD

Xandergrammy
March 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Most of the women on my mother's side of the family have the same hair- me, my mom, my sister, my grandmother, my aunt, my cousin.....

DotDotDot
March 16th, 2008, 04:06 PM
My mom and I have the exact same hair type, but it's hard to tell sometimes because she brushes and blowfries and such, so her curls are straightened.

thunderlilies
March 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
nope! Everyone in my immediate family has different hair. My hair is more like my husband's hair than anybody else! Ha! :P

Anje
March 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Nope. Everyone else in my family is wurly to curly. I'm the only one with red, too, which we suspect came through my Dad, whose remaining hair is course, black & gray, and probably curly. I have a cousin on that side that looks like a sister. I'm closer to my sister-in-law than anyone in my family, but I'd guess she's an M, not an F.

rhubarbarin
March 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
No! No one in my family has mine.. my father and youngest sister are close, but theirs is less curly.

Everyone else is straight, 1a or b, except for my mom's dad, 3b.

jojo
March 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
well in my family im the only blond (dark) and blue/green eyed. my mother is from Italian descent so is olive skinned, dark hair and eyes (i have olive skin) my mum is also a 3a hair type, thick hair. My dad is now grey but was black, 3a/b thick hair. my brothers where both 3a is as children and dark haired and olive skinned, im the odd bod! maybe im adopted, but one of my kids has blond hair olive skin and my other has dark hair and plae skin both have blue/green eyes!
heres my daughters, the eldest is natural colour and wave, both lovely thick hair, where did that come from???? http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/n549665782_465755_8419.jpg
oh and my gran was blond too so maybe im not adopted afteral
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/a549665782_463023_2877.jpg wasn't she beautiful?

freznow
March 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
My two sisters and I have the exact same hair. My dad and my brother are almost exactly alike. I guess my mom's red haired genes got overruled and we all got our dad's hair.

Elistariel
March 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I had a long post but it was too long.
I'll just say this then. Out of the family I actually get to see I think my hair is most similar to my 9 year old 2nd cousin once removed.
The rest of them dyes and fries too often for me to really tell.

I'm guessing at hair texture. It's not like it's appropriate for me to grab their hair to find out. :p

ChloeDharma
March 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have the same hair nearly as my eldest sister and i THINK my brother but his is normally quite short or shaved, but we all are blonde to some extent. My other sister though has totally opposite hair, hers is wavy but it's hard to tell how much is natural because she takes that epilepsy medication that gives you curls. But she is definately a C/iii and her growth rate almost qualifies her as a mutant it's that fast! Her hair is dark too but was blonde when she was a child. The interesting thing is she is also 5ft and stocky/muscular/curvy build, but me and my eldest sister are 5ft4 and much slimmer build naturally.

Xandergrammy
March 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/n549665782_465755_8419.jpg
oh and my gran was blond too so maybe im not adopted afteral
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/a549665782_463023_2877.jpg wasn't she beautiful?

jojo, you're whole family is beautiful!!!

chloeishere
March 16th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Neat idea!
I'm pretty sure everyone in my family has different hair, but I don't know for absolute certain, because all I have is brothers who keep their hair pretty short. :p
My mom has baby fine, thin, straight hair. (It was blonde as a kid, but now it's darker and a bit ashier than mine).
My dad has curly (not super curly though, I'd say 2c/3a) thick, medium/ coarse hair (it used to be black, now with a lot of gray)
My older brother has black medium hair, no idea if it's curly or not, but I suspect not.
My middle brother has color similar to mine (though darker, again-- perhaps because it's kept so short), and I'm pretty sure it's straight.
And then there is me-- wavy, F/M, ii. I think all of the my siblings ended up with hair that was a combination from both parents, just with different characteristics.

Cinnamon Hair
March 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I have the exact same type and color as my mother. Hers is thinner & shorter though. Actually, a good number of family on my mother's side have the same hair. Must be strong genes.

rubyredslippers
March 16th, 2008, 11:15 PM
My sister's hair and mine are pretty similar, with the same amount of curl and similar behaviour by our scalps, except hers is coarse, and mine is medium. Our hair has the same density on the scalp but hers is thicker because it's so coarse--she's a really thick iii, whereas I'm just on the cusp. My hair's a darker chestnut, too, whereas her brown is more brassy.

Supposedly, my dad's sister is my hair twin, in texture, curl, behaviour, and colour, but I've never seen her without short-cropped silver hair. If my hair turns that lovely consistent shade of silver someday I'll be very happy indeed.

sapphire-o
March 17th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I have my dad's hair, and he has his mom's hair, and my little son has my hair. :) All four of us are 1c/2a/M/ii. Though dad and grandma have 50% gray hair now. I personally think it's quite amazing. I mean we married other people with very different hair, right? My DH has typical soft, fine golden Caucasian hair and his gene didn't seem to show up on my son's hair at all.

squiggyflop
March 17th, 2008, 10:58 AM
i realized a few days ago when i looked at my parents old photos that my mom has the same wavyness as mine... i used to have pin straight hair when i was a kid but it turned wavy at puberty.. ofcourse my mom has really dark hair and i have auburny brown color naturally... this actually came as a semi shock to me because i had really only seen my moms hair short.. i spoke to her on the phone a couple of days ago and she says her hair is past her shoulders.. my dad has really fine pinstraight hair... my brother has curly red (carrot top orange) hair..

fleurdelis
March 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Hmm, good question. My both parents have black hair, my mother very coarse, thick and straight and my daddy ¨soft¨ and thin. My hair is ¨soft¨ and thin also, I hope I got some genes from daddys granny that had beautiful, propably brown, wurly hair, about 2a. On other hand I look like a close sister to my cousin from my mothers side so I am not sure where my genes really are...My aunt has same hair as mum.

Mahars
March 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
My parents both have straight hair but somehow my brother and I ended up with thick coarse curly hair. His hair type is very close to mine but much shorter. I'm not sure where our curlies come from since my mom is asian and has super straight hair and my dad is white, also with very straight but finer hair. Maybe I'm a changeling? I always knew my brother was, but maybe I am too.:p

spidermom
March 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
There's nobody in my birth family with hair like mine. Perhaps I should find out who the milk-man was?

soprano
March 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM
My mother has the exact same hair type as me, although she is naturally chestnut-colored, and I am a blond.

When she was my age, she also had hair down past her waist! She cut it shortly thereafter, however.

Cichelle
March 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
My mother and I have a similar hair type. Other than that, we are on our own, from what I can tell. Nearly everyone else has hair that is much different than ours. Apparently, we got dropped down here from outer space. :D

Urchin
March 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM
My mother and father have similar hair types, and mine is similar to theirs. My mother's hair is 1a, judging by pictures of her with it long, and my father's hair is some sort of 1. His brother had long hair that had a body wave, but my dad has never had his long. Both my parents have fine hair, my mother more notably so than my father. Fortunately, mine is on the thick side of fine. As far as color goes, my mother's hair is black, my father's is light brown. Mine is light to medium brown.

There appear to be patterns in my family indeed.

jojo
March 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM
jojo, you're whole family is beautiful!!!
aww thank you leni, i am very proud of my girls.
I wish my gran was still here though, your old journal pictures with you and your little grandson always reminds me of the good times we shared together xxx

Darscilla
March 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM
My mother's hair was exactly like mine, right down to the shade. Except her's was our natural virgin blonde, and mine, erm, isn't. ;)

Sarahmoon
March 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM
My mom has, I think, fine 2c/3a hair. I can't really remember the natural colour but I think it was a lighter shade of brown. My dad has fine or medium 1a or 1b (hard to see with short hair) hair, used to be black.
My oldest sister has brown fine 2c hair and my other sister fine blonde 1a/1b hair.

Neon Gloss
March 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I've never seen my mom's natural hair (she always blowdried it), but I think I have the same hair type as hers... i've seen it when it was wet, and it seemed to look like mine. Definitely not my dad's though, his curls are crazy. =)

SippyCup
March 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I got a mix of both parents and ended up with thick, dark brown, 1c/m hairs.

Flying Betty
March 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I have my mom's body but my dad's hair. Everyone on my dad's side of the family has the same fine, straight, thin hair, though mine may actually be a bit thicker than most of the others'.

addikted
March 19th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Most of the women in my family have very similar type hair, strong Asian genes

Stagecoach
March 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Well, I can't tell for sure. My sisters and I all have very very similar, but still slightly different hair. And my brothers all keep their hair short so I'm not sure, but I imagine I'd be pretty close to them as well... we all seems to have the same hair type, just different colors.

vindo
March 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I'm the Family Alien...noone really has hair like me :(

WavyGal
March 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM
My mom has a similar wave/curl pattern than mine is. I think her's is a bit looser than mine, maybe a 2b. Other than mom, everybody else has stick straight thin to medium har that doesn't curl well. Mom and I were actually both born with straight hair that got curlier during puberty.

Village Mama
March 19th, 2008, 09:23 AM
My mom had the most beautiful hair from what I can see in pictures and what people tell me. It was very very straight and thick, fine and really shiny looking and really red.
I have red hair, but not quite auburn not quite red red! Mine is fine and straight on the top , and super coarse and wavy underneath. It looks like I may have gotten some good hair genes from both parents!

nicolezoie
March 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM
When we were kids, my sister and I had the same hair dresser, and when I started taking better care of my chlorinated hair, the hair dresser told us that with exception to color, my sister and I have identical hair (same wave, thickness, texture). She got her color from my dad's mother (blond), and I got our mother's color, brownish with auburnish lighter sections. My sister got our dad's graying pattern (no gray and she's 38 ) while I got my mother's graying pattern (I spotted my first silver at 25, and probably have a couple dozen scattered around the crown, and I'm 31). I also think that I got my ability to grow superlong from my mother's side of the family, (I know of two women with extrordinary length) but know of no such super-longness on my dad's side.

What I'm really wondering about though is when my maternal grandmother's flaming red hair will re-appear. :)

Delilah
March 19th, 2008, 10:48 AM
My younger sister and I have the same hairtype.
Unfortunately she dyes hers blonde and straightens/blowfries it daily so it is much thinner than mine.

ladystar
March 19th, 2008, 10:51 AM
My hair is just like my mom's only she has colored it so much that it is very dry. But its just like hers

Haith
March 19th, 2008, 10:55 AM
My brother and I have exactly the same hair (type and colour), and eyes. We inherited the type from our mother, but not the colour. My mum has black hair, and our hair is... well... the colour that it is. My dad's very blonde, so I guess we're inbetween.

Unnamed
March 19th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Mom's hair is (has always has been) a dark brown. Lately it's been a bit lighter/redder. Pretty typical among her siblings, etc. Type would be 1a F i

Dad's hair started off the bleach blonde, and ended up a med-darkish ashy blonde (it's one full shade lighter than mine) in his twenties. His siblings all have vastly different hair types and colour--it's all rather fine, though. Type? Hmm. Maybe 1b F i/ii? The ends get one full curl at mid-back, two by tailbone, but it's otherwise 1a. :confused:

My hair's as straight as mum's, finer than both, and about as thick as my dad's. Oh, and the colour is somewhere in between, but closer to my dad's...just about a shade or so darker. I did start off blonder, but not a white blonde...just a light ashy blonde. My hair also spent about two to three years trying to be black (naturally), so maybe mom's gene's were trying to take over for a bit. :lol:

Rain
March 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Not me. My color and texture are a blend of both my parents' hair so I don't have cousins with the same hair. I have four siblings. My two brothers have much tighter curls. My middle sister's hair is a lot lighter and wavy. My youngest sister's hair is closest to mine but not quite the same.

atlantaz3
March 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Nope - my mother was always given looks when the family was together - how you get blonde child? (imagine German accent)
Mom had very dark auburn hair (now white), my dad and brother have brown almost black hair. And when I was little mine was that white blonde! I was a ups baby! If it weren't for "Uncle Whitey" my mom's brother....

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Nope. All my sisters and mum have different hair- go figure! It got lighter, finer, curlier and thinner as my mum had kids. I'm the middle child. My eldest has the thickest, darkest, coarser straight hair and my little sis has the finest, thinest, curliest and lightest hair. I'm inbetween :)

meliora
March 20th, 2008, 04:24 PM
My mom and I have exactly the same hair type (not exactly straight or wavy, very coarse, thick), even to the occasional curly baby hairs. Her hair is a little darker than mine though.

artgeek
March 21st, 2008, 03:33 AM
I have a mix of mom (light brown, 1a, ii) and dad (black, 3c, iii) toward the curly side. My brother has the same colour and type as mom.

ale
March 21st, 2008, 05:17 AM
I'm realising that no one in my family has long hair, so I can't really tell!

HeatherAngela
March 21st, 2008, 08:53 AM
I have exactly my dad's hair, color, texture and all. My sis is a cross between my dad's fine straight blonde and my mom's thick curly dark brown. She's a wavy medium brown.

JUSTAGIRL
April 8th, 2008, 08:07 AM
My hair is most like my oldest brother and Mom's. There are 5 kids in my family and we all have different hair. Go to my website link if it is working from my profile. 3rd recent blog has family pic I can't figure out how to show here.

1nuitblanche
April 10th, 2008, 09:43 AM
My hair is very much not the same as anyone else's. Almost everyone has really curly or undeniably wavy hair. The few who have straight hair have stick-straight hair and it's really fine compared to mine.

shell78
April 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Nope - both my parents have very dark hair and brown eyes. My mom's hair is fine and stick straight; my dad's is medium to coarse and wavy.

My brother and I both got blue eyes; my hair is golden and fine 3a curly. His is a bright copper and coarse 3b curly.

Anlbe
April 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Thankfully I don't have either of my parent's hairtype mother - dark brown baby hair, genetic father sparse straight mouse.
I think I have my grandfather's hair, but not quite as thick and wavey. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I do, because he has the most amazing white hair and I really hope mine starts turning the same way in a few years.

annys
April 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM
My daughter's hair is like mine, only a little bit thicker.

My youngest daughter's hair is still baby fine at 5 years, though it is down to her mid-back.

My son's hair is like my husband's only curlier and a little lighter.

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Oh no but I so wish I had my moms 2c/3a hair.But after I've told her my oiling routine,she still doesn't know how to properly take care of it.Her hair is the curly hair on shampoo that you see on the front page of the curly girl website

I think that's what its called,I haven't gone on there in forever

Lamb
April 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
The fine hair gene is very dominant in my family on my mother's side, nearly everybody has very fine, soft hair. Only an aunt and three cousins of mine have curly hair to varying degrees, from 2c to 3b. My hair is, however, almost exactly like that of my grandmother: the texture (F/ii/3a), the color, the curl pattern.

Jae6
April 10th, 2008, 01:41 PM
fun read =) i have my mom's hair texture (wavy & straight) but my dad's strand thickness (M/C). my brother has the same exact hair as my dad (wavy all over, it looked looked like he set it in rollers when he grew it out)...i'd like to trade hair with him, it's totally useless to him! >=T