PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide whether I should get layers now that my hair is waist length

Dreamkitty
August 25th, 2012, 10:58 AM
My hair is at last waist length and today I went to the hairdresser, ive never actually stepped into a hair salon before:o so I was nervous about making my choice today and in the end said I would think about it.

The lady said because my hair is thick, she thinks layers would work well and make it seem less heavy as well frame my face. Since Ive never styled my hair, I don't have a clue. I have a small forehead so she said that a fringe wouldn't work.

I have a burning desire to do something different with my hair and experiement but not go for a dramatic look and this is why I definetly want to keep the length. I always plait my hair so im wondering can you plait hair if it's layered?

I never have my hair out but I do think layers look quite nice when hair is out.

Is it better to have layers or one length? and what is your experience with them.

juliaxena
August 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Thick is good for layers, but would your hair by any chance be stick straight and baby fine? In this case I would not recommend them.

Olafwa
August 25th, 2012, 11:16 AM
As a long haired girl, I find that the thing people want to do most isn't to braid it or brush it. They want to cut it >.< Especially people who cut hair for a living. :P

I have never had layers, but my sister has. She has really really thick heavy hair so on one hand she enjoyed the layers as they kept her length but got rid of a lot of the weight. On the other hand, with layers it's really hard to put it in braids or updo's (Never plaited, so dunno hehe) My advice is if you don't have weight problems don't get it layered. Most people I know who have let the hairdresser convince them of layers have regretted it.

ravenreed
August 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I love my layers, but they do make braids and updo's a little trickier. When I braid my hair, I leave a really long tassel to deal with them. You also should be aware that they need to be redone often or they start to look ratty.

FireFromWithin
August 25th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I have thin hair but I have a lot of it (it's the first thing hairdressers say when I sit down and they say it every time!) So they always recommended layers to give my hair more body and while it did work it also didn't help growing my hair out.
Sure my hair looks the same length but the ends are so much thinner than the rest and it will take forever and lots of trimming :( to get them to match.
Braids can end up looking quite messy or having very long tails, especially if you get long layers, so it depends what you want from your hair really.
The other thing they always talked me into was fethering, where they cut the front shorter to frame your face. This is something else to think about as while it looks flattering down it's a pain to put up/ braid.
Maybe look at pictures and bring one with you of a look you like, that way the hairdresser knows what you really want without interpretation.
Good luck!

Dreamkitty
August 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
My hair is thick in both quantity and texture but it's also wavy , slightly curly so sometimes when I look at myself in the mirror it feels as though the hair is covering alot of my face(and it doesn't help since I have a low hairline) and the stylist said that layering would take some weight off. I like the idea that it will open up my face more too.

Is it possible to get a few layers that finish at the cheekbone and chin, then leave the rest of my hair one length? because that is what I had in mind.

Im so used to plaiting my hair but not because im doing it for the style but because it's very comfortable especially when im doing shopping, going to work I don't like the hair getting in my face. But I do want to do something a bit different with my hair.

I am just wondering whether a layered cut would also work with my natural hair texture. And if I do get a layers in my hair, I want to do it in 2 weeks time when I start University as ive made a fresh start to my life and I guess I want to make a new start with my hair:). Only problem is I don't want to regret it since I have no idea how the end result will be! Im awful when it comes to making decisions because I go back and forth

ravenreed
August 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Well, unfortunately, there is only one way to find out if you will love layers or hate them. As for what you are wanting in front, I think they are called "face framing layers."

Dreamkitty
August 25th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Well, unfortunately, there is only one way to find out if you will love layers or hate them. As for what you are wanting in front, I think they are called "face framing layers."

That is true, I guess have to take the risk. That is what ive been having in mind for quite some time but never knew the phrase for it, I thought it the same as layered hair. I think I would like this, keep my hair all one length but just get few hair that stop at the chin.

Madora
August 25th, 2012, 11:38 AM
If you like to plait your hair, or put it up, then layers are not your friend. Your braids will be harder to do because the layered bits will spring out of the crossovers where you least expect them.

If you cut short layers (say chin length), you'll always need to be pinning them up if you don't like them hanging free.

I guess it all boils down to your personal preference...hair that is easy to braid...or layers. It might be more time consuming to do S and D on layered hair too.

Aeris
August 25th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Is it possible to get a few layers that finish at the cheekbone and chin, then leave the rest of my hair one length? because that is what I had in mind.

I cut my hair (myself) a few weeks ago, and did just this. I was itching for a change too, and wanted my updos to look a bit softer, without ruining my braids. My hair is wavy too, so I sometimes have problems with the layers looking right, but I just wet them and try to make them dry differently whenever they look funny. :o I wasn't sure if I liked them at first, probably because I have no hair cutting skills, but I love them now and am glad I tried it! It wasn't risking too much hair, either.

Good luck! I hope you love whatever you end up with!

Edit: Also, you can take a few chunks of hair near your face (the sections you would want cut), and try to pull them up until the ends reach the length you are wanting. It might help you to kind of see how it would look on you.

Vampyria
August 25th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I agree, it depends on what you like. I have face framing layers as you describe (around chin length), because I like thick looking length, but my face looks better with some layers (they give more volume).

allycat
August 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Dreamkitty, google some images you like and take them with you. I haven't been to a salon in a while, but I was always walked out happiest when I took pictures to show the stylist.

kitekats
August 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Better one length, other ways it's a pain in the butt to grow layers out later, but sometimes straight fringe (bang) works for small foreheads, so don't give up hope;). Maybe get an U cut thick hemline, it you don't have it already.

gillybeanxo3921
August 25th, 2012, 01:15 PM
It is possible to braid hair with layers. I've had layers since third grade, and I braid all the time. In fact, I learnt with layers. Here's a pic of my hair braided:

[img]http://s18.postimage.org/aphyrnnrt/9_Braided.png (http://postimage.org/)
picture hosting (http://postimage.org/)/IMG]

I suppose it's harder for some people, but with some practice you just get used to it. Every time I get my hair cut I kind of have to re-learn how to do it, but after a few weeks my hair braids just like it used to.

I honestly think I look better with layers. They just suit me!

dulce
August 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I agree with Madora,I spent over 2 years growing out my all over layers as they made doing sleek braids and buns too difficult and messy for me ,plus my curly fine hair looked way too thin at my hem.If you have super thick hair and wear it down a lot ,it could work,look at Ultrabella.

Madora
August 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Also, dreamkitty, please take into consideration that wearing your hair down means being extra careful when it comes to detangling.

You might want to find the "Layers, a Place to Complain" thread and read what others have said who have cut layers. Nothing like hearing from those who have done it!

CaitlinMarie93
August 25th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Three years ago I had long layers and face framing layers. Boy, I couldn't grow them out fast enough. The hairstylist did a hack job; it was the worst haircut and decision I could have made for my hair. The longest layer was the thinnest and my face framing layers weren't even. It was absolutely horrendous. I ended up having to cut my hair to APL to get rid of most of the uneven layers and had to trim a lot to finally get rid of the face framing layers. Now my hair is all one length at waist. I will never be getting layers again, but hopefully you have a hairstylist who knows how to cut hair if you choose to cut it!

blondie9912
August 25th, 2012, 04:10 PM
That is true, I guess have to take the risk. That is what ive been having in mind for quite some time but never knew the phrase for it, I thought it the same as layered hair. I think I would like this, keep my hair all one length but just get few hair that stop at the chin.

I think that would give you thicker layers than you want. Try asking for "lip/chin grazing bangs", which should leave you with soft, wispy pieces that float around your face. Keep in mind that she probably WILL want to give you more layering around the face, to help "blend" the different lengths in.

ravenreed
August 25th, 2012, 04:59 PM
There are also a lot of us who love our layers. We might not post in that particular thread because why complain about something we like?

Also, dreamkitty, please take into consideration that wearing your hair down means being extra careful when it comes to detangling.

You might want to find the "Layers, a Place to Complain" thread and read what others have said who have cut layers. Nothing like hearing from those who have done it!

Hollyfire3
August 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Layers pictures:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Holly+marie+combs&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS459&biw=1366&bih=641&tbm=isch&tbnid=-sWP6jvehDTLxM:&imgrefurl=http://www.howmuchdotheyweigh.com/holly-marie-combs-weight/&imgurl=http://www.howmuchdotheyweigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Holly-Marie-Combs.jpg&w=400&h=531&ei=xls5UIs0kJbyBMzcgdgL&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=171&vpy=268&dur=334&hovh=259&hovw=195&tx=132&ty=121&sig=110426977909970850870&page=1&tbnh=119&tbnw=101&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0,i:143

http://www.ouchpress.com/holly-marie-combs/images/305107.html
(sorry, smaller picture)

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Holly+marie+combs&start=142&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS459&biw=1366&bih=641&addh=36&tbm=isch&tbnid=hycV6t83iVzFpM:&imgrefurl=http://www.longing4length.com/2012/06/other-hair-ive-always-admired.html&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rggmXjugZ7o/T-CT57BjbmI/AAAAAAAABbk/W1udoneOtOY/s1600/piper-holly%252Bmarie%252Bcombs.jpg&w=240&h=360&ei=Hlw5UJ2kL4vK9QShtYCoDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=965&vpy=253&dur=319&hovh=275&hovw=183&tx=109&ty=226&sig=110426977909970850870&page=6&tbnh=154&tbnw=100&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:142,i:208
(Here her hair is curlier, maybe closer to what yours would looks like and how my hair looks normally)

Now, these pictures are of the lovely Holly Marie Combs, note that her hair has face framing layers but she has it very long in the back, this is done by having one layer cut into the hair at the crown, it is cut into a sort of V, leaving you with face framing bits and a still blunt hemline, it is how I have my hair cut, the hairdresser looked at pictures of Holly's hair before cutting it and decided the single layer is how she achieves this look. Maybe look into this? It is much less choppy then normal layers and you don't suffer from thinner ends like layers can sometimes give, I really love my hair like this, HTH.

Iolanthe13
August 25th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I'm among those who do love layers. Mine are fairly long layers at the moment, as I haven't been to the salon since December and don't know how to cut my own, but there are ways to tuck them in so they don't stick out of updos. Accent braids are a great solution, even for the occasionally inconvenient face-framing layers. And when I wear my hair down I have a lot more volume on top - that might flatter your small forehead, too.

spirals
August 25th, 2012, 07:50 PM
It's true that layers will stick out of your braids. I have mid-back thick hair and I love my layers, though, because they cut down on the weight. I just wish the shortest wasn't so much shorter. But I knew I'd have to deal with that if I ever grew it out, so.... If you do want to layer around the face, start the layering at chin or longer and ask for graduated layers. How low you start depends on how much your hair shrinks up, because the ends will lay higher than where they're cut to if you have waves. If you want layers all over, tell the stylist "long layers". They should be within 2 inches of your hemline. A way to measure shrinkage is to lay your hair down on a surface to take the weight off and measure a half-foot section stretched and not stretched. Or you could use a naturally-fallen hair.

Amorice
August 25th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Last time I was at a salon, I asked for a front layer that I could leave out of up-dos (want bangs, but never had them so I was being chicken), then layers to blend that into the back length. The front-most layer just brushes my shoulder, and the rest is growing out into a U hemline. I like it, but I think I'll let the layers just grow with the rest, and have the front layer cut to something closer to a side-swept bang. But my braids do have little ends sticking out. Seems to be minimized if my hair is damp or oiled and/or I braid very tightly.

Miss Manal
August 26th, 2012, 06:09 AM
You'll be happy wth the layers at the rst days because it's a new style. then you'll be sad like me :)

When you try to make plait or ponytail, it'll be very very thin and you'll not be happy for this.

So I advise you not to make layers.

winship2
August 26th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I agree with Miss Manal and the others who have commented that layers make plaits and updos more challenging. My hair is a bit past BSL now, on the way to waist, and I do think the layers I have have made it easier to grow out, and more flattering during that process when I wear it down, but much more difficult and untidy to wear up. I look forward to growing mine out.

On the other hand! Hair is just hair, it will grow back, if you cut layers and you don't like them long term, just join the complain thread and you'll have support while you grown them back. Maybe that's a better option than wondering what might have been and getting frustrated with your hair.

Or you could commit to learning, say, 6 new braids/updos and freshen up your style for university that way. BTW, good luck at university and congratulations on the big step!

MonaMayfair
August 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I love layers, and I think the vast majority of people look better with some layers to frame their face. One length hair looks very severe.
Long layers look good on waist length hair, the only problem is when you wear it braided and have to re-do it more often. Still worth it though.

jen5972
August 26th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I think it all depends on if you want to wear your hair in certain updos. I have had layers before, and they made updos challenging. If you plan on wearing your hair down most of the time, I would say layers would be the way to go.

Jen
Longhair albums: http://public.fotki.com/jen5972/

Tota
August 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I think layers can look amazing on thick, wavy hair: click (http://9gag.com/gag/4902817)

MonaMayfair
August 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I think layers can look amazing on thick, wavy hair: click (http://9gag.com/gag/4902817)

That picture is lovely. I think long layers look so much prettier than one length.

florenonite
August 27th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I'd suggest face-framing layers or a chin-length fringe; that'll give you something different around your face but won't interfere with your plaits. If you can lace braid (a French braid that only takes hair from one side) it's really easy to incorporate them into a braid with the rest of your hair, too.

Layers throughout the hair are nice, but they do tend to stick out. That can look nice with buns, but with plaits generally looks messy, so given that you usually plait your hair I'd recommend against getting them.

It is possible to braid hair with layers. I've had layers since third grade, and I braid all the time. In fact, I learnt with layers. Here's a pic of my hair braided:

[IMG]http://s18.postimage.org/aphyrnnrt/9_Braided.png (http://postimage.org/)
picture hosting (http://postimage.org/)/IMG]

I suppose it's harder for some people, but with some practice you just get used to it. Every time I get my hair cut I kind of have to re-learn how to do it, but after a few weeks my hair braids just like it used to.

I honestly think I look better with layers. They just suit me!

How do you do that?! I have layers and I braid my hair a lot, but I'm forever tucking the layers back into the braid.

UltraBella
August 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I can't live without my layers, my hair has been layered at every length from shoulder to tailbone, I would hate my hair without them.

I have never had an issue braiding my hair or putting it up, my braids look tidy and my updos do not have ends or bits sticking out at all.

Rufflebutt
August 27th, 2012, 07:45 AM
If you like wearing your hair down, go for it. But if you like wearing mainly updos then I would advise not to. My hair sticks out in a whole bunch of awkward places when I put my hair up. And I can't braid my hair because it turns into a hairy catipillar!

gillybeanxo3921
September 8th, 2012, 06:40 AM
How do you do that?! I have layers and I braid my hair a lot, but I'm forever tucking the layers back into the braid.

I'm a very tight braider. If you're loose with the layers, they'll just slip out of your hands. Coconut oil may help the hair stick together a bit more, or just water.

I literally just braided my hair to see if I could pick out what I do that most other people are missing, but that's all I could come up with. You have to be really tight! When my ends are fresher they're a little bit more disobedient, so I suppose dry ends make it easier?

Sorry, I'm bad at explaining things. That picture was before I got my last hair cut, and my braid that I just did actually has two little pieces sticking out. It's not a perfect science, you just gotta keep practicing!

Someday
September 8th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I can't live without my layers, my hair has been layered at every length from shoulder to tailbone, I would hate my hair without them.

I have never had an issue braiding my hair or putting it up, my braids look tidy and my updos do not have ends or bits sticking out at all.
Ultrabella -- just curiously, how short is your shortest layer? I have layers, and like them, but am trying to cut out old colored hair (from partial highlights) -- so, I would like to keep my length (only apl now), but have my layers cut as much as I can without it looking odd. Sorry, if that doesn't make sense - hard to explain.

jacqueline101
September 8th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I have a natural v hair line and I went for a trim got layers. I'm counting down until they grow out.