PDA

View Full Version : Avocado Mask - is that moisture, protein, or both?

raingirl
August 25th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I was diagnosed with an ulcer earlier this week. The other morning I had an avocado smoothie and almost died from the pain.

Now I have 4 perfectly good and ripe avocados to use that I'm afraid to eat!

So yesterday, on my day off, I mixed an avocado with a few tbsp of olive oil and a few tbsp of honey, put it on dry hair for two hours while I did some cleaning, then washed it out with conditioner only (took a few doses to get it all out).

My hair felt pretty smooth, but what was odd is my hair felt thicker?

I thought this would be a moisture treatment, but I'm reading that avocado can also be a protein treatment? :confused:

kitcatsmeow
August 25th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Might be the aminos that are making it feel thicker or just residue if you haven't gotten it all out? My hair loves avocado oil and masks!

julliams
August 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your ulcer. I used avocado on mine and my daughters hair and it left us with strawlike, horrible hair. It took several moisture treatments to get it back to normal. I really don't know what happened and why. I guess you could try it again. If it's not good, make up some guacamole to take to a party???

Chanie
August 26th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Avocado has lots of protein and fatty acids, so i can be both :) my hair loved it , did a deep treatment with avo, honey,olive oil, and coconut oil :)

Chanie
August 26th, 2012, 07:38 AM
By the way, my hair also felt thicker afterwards, very nice.. As i was washing it out it felt dry as never before, but when drying up it was so smooth and nice and thick

kitcatsmeow
August 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I wanted to mention....I wash the avocado out then condition as usual so maybe try that?

raingirl
August 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks everyone.

I didn't mind the thickness, just wasn't expecting it. Then again, I wash daily, so maybe that I didn't wash it with spoo could be why...

I wonder if I can freeze avocado...I mean, I won't be eating it but to save it for hair?

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Im sorry to hear about the ulcer :(
I absolutely love avocados. Yummmm.

I really do like reading the few replies here....I have some avocado oil I NEED to use up, as it is about a year old and I do fear it will go rancid, and it almost smells like it is headed there.
It sounds like it is nice and fatty, offers protein, and absorbs nicely.

I am guessing that avocado oil may provide the same effects as the actual avocado on the hair? More or less I am not sure...
If this oil provided nicer over all thickness, I'd bathe in it
I wonder if you could make some sort of body scrub with your avocado too? Or do some sorts of a face mask?

caiti42
August 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I hear avocado is great as a face mask too mixed with some banana and olive oil.

I saw it on Bubzbeauty's YouTube channel.

S&S
December 8th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Bumping this old thread up with the same question!

My hair is protein sensitive and this is my first time doing an avocado mask - hair felt dry and "squeaky" in the shower and straw like after. Didn't think it would be this drying as I've read so many reviews about it. Also, my hair loves avocado oil (yes, I understand its different).