PDA

View Full Version : One-handed hairdo

svehex
August 25th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I need help putting my hair up one-handed. My left arm is in a sling, and has to stay that way for three weeks (24/7). My husband and daughter aren't able to help me, because they're not used to handling long hair.

My hair reaches mid back, but is a bit layered.

sunshine-locks
August 25th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I'm sure your husband could help you put your hair into a sloppy bun or a ponytail? :P
Maybe even a rope braid? (super simple!)
Hope your arm heals quickly! :blossom:

svehex
August 25th, 2012, 01:56 AM
He tried a ponytail yesterday, sad result...

spirals
August 25th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Can it just be down? Mine is midback and I wear it down more often than up.

Linika
August 25th, 2012, 02:03 AM
i think you should show some simple updos on youtube t your dh, and let him practice when you both have time. He might not get it at oce, but I'm sure he can learn :)

Tisiloves
August 25th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Peacock twist like this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RRNaxKkxbhg#t=44s)

cindy58
August 25th, 2012, 02:34 AM
I can relate! I have a tear in my rotator cuff, waiting for dr. appt. Hurts like every expletive you can think of! Not in a sling, but I can barely lift my arm. The only thing I can manage is to comb my hair and a side braid. I'm thinking it's going to be awhile to get past this. Shorter hair wouldn't be easier though if you can't get your hand up to style it.

My DH would help if I asked, but he is sure not practiced at it. : )

MaryO
August 25th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Shame! I have no advice but sympathise with your situation! Hope your arm heals well!!

kaydana
August 25th, 2012, 03:44 AM
This is what I managed to get to work:

You'll need an elastic and a hair stick.

-Put an elastic around the four fingers of your hand and practise using your thumb to move it up over your knuckles and open it out so it can be used.
-Put your hand, with the elastic over your fingers, underneath your hair and hook your hand around it.
-Tip your head to the left and raise your elbow to move the rest of your hair towards your hand and catch it with your thumb.
-Twist your hair into a cinnamon/bee butt bun.
-Hold the bun in place with your fingers and use your thumb to open up the elastic.
-Put the elastic around the bun to temporarily secure it.
-Pick up your hair stick and hold it between your thumb and your first two fingers.
-Flatten the bun against your head with the side of your hand and little finger and stick the hair stick in at the top of the bun.
-Move your hand so your thumb is holding the bottom of the bun down, and use your fingers to push the hair stick through.

My housemate isn't here right now or I'd take pictures to make it clear, but after a few tries, that now works consistently for me. Ends up looking a bit like a nautilus bun because of how the bun loosens slightly with the elastic around it. Of course, if you could get your husband or daughter to just hold the bun in place while you put the hair stick in, you wouldn't need to fuss around with elastics and weird hand contortions.

MeowScat
August 25th, 2012, 03:59 AM
How about if you bend forward and put a cinnabun on top of your head? It only requires twisting and then coiling your twisted hair in a circle.

If you stand up, slowly, it could rest on top of your head while you insert Spin Pins or a few bobby pins, etc?

shadeshaman
August 25th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Oh, that's a bummer! I hope you heal well.
I've been trying a couple of things on your behalf. I haven't found a one-handed 'do, yet, but I did get to thinking that DH and DD might be able to help you put on a snood. It's like a hat! Not all foreign and weird like braiding. Another thought I had was maybe to ask a female neighbor or friend to help you, depending on whether you have folks living close by. Or, maybe you could call up the local beauty school to see if there are students who would like to practice braiding or other long hair 'do's.

kitcatsmeow
August 25th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Claw clip! Grab it all with a claw clip and if you want you can probably flip your head and anchor your pony to your head so it's up. Theoretically this should work, lol. I've never tried it.

Madora
August 25th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Could your husband just band the length..i.e. the Caterpillar technique...a soft band every few centimeters? That way your hair would be protected from tangles.

bluesnowflake
August 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I've managed to do just a regular bun one-handed. Twist the length all the way down and then wind it around in a circle and tuck the ends under the bun part- that keeps it mildly secure so you can reach down for pins. You could also try a side pony, which isn't terribly protective but would at least be easier to do one-handed.

lapushka
August 25th, 2012, 07:16 PM
A side ponytail. Just sweep your hair to one side using your one hand, and clip a claw clip over it all. If you can manage that with one hand, that is, because it's not going to be easy.

elea
August 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM
i use claws/jaws a lot when one of my hand hurts too much to use.

a couple of simple things:
twist the hair around and claw for a bun
gather and claw for a pony tail
you can change the hair dos by tipping your head upside down
(the trick is to clip the claw to your little finger and grab the hair with the others)

a big barette does the same but i find it harder to hold it whilst i deal with the hair
(maybe you have someone to hold it for you)

happy practicing
and... you will find so many different ways to do your hair... it will tripple when your arm is free *:OD