PDA

View Full Version : Stress shed

Zesty
August 24th, 2012, 09:48 PM
So I've been shedding waaaay more than normal lately. Like maybe 4 times what I normally shed in a day, or possibly even more. I've never seen anything like this coming off of my head, and other people were noticing how much I was shedding. I felt like I was seeing more scalp cleavage and that my ponytail felt a little thinner, but I told myself I was just being paranoid. Then I measured my ponytail circumference, and then measured it again. And it looks like I've lost about 1/4" of thickness (down to 3.75" from 4"). I don't feel like I'm going bald, and I know that's still a decent thickness, but I can't say I'm happy about it.

I'm fairly confident that it's a shed brought on by all the stress/anxiety I experienced during my semester abroad. I've read that there's a lag of several months on a stress shed, and this would be about the right time. I also recently noticed that I have these grooves going horizontally across my big toenails, about a third of the way up, which really took me aback since they're quite deep and identical on both toes, and I've never experienced anything like it before. I did some research and apparently those can be caused by emotional trauma or stress, so it doesn't seem really far-fetched that it could affect my hair too. (Though it's kind of amazing to me that stress can cause physical changes like this.)

I'm really trying to stay calm and not be a drama queen about it. I know that hair loss caused by stress tends to rectify itself after a while, but it's just such a bummer. :( And I can't help but worry (ironic, no?) that it won't grow back or that it'll get worse, or that it's caused by some other factor that I can't identify. I also have an ongoing problem with anxiety that has been exacerbated by my time abroad, and I don't want that to continue to affect my hair. I guess I just wanted to get some support from LHCers who understand that this is distressing and something that actually happens, because none of my "real world" friends would get it. I'd also be grateful for any advice, or even just empathy from anyone else who's experienced this.

Hollyfire3
August 24th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I also seem to be shedding, not sure if its from not brushing or combing as much (so it looks like tons when i finger comb when washing) or if its from stress like yours. I seem to be a bit on the lower side of my normal ponytail, but that may also be because I need to clarify and my strands are so coated and nasty feeling when wet. I say wait it out, it probably won't get worse and should go away, just try and relax, but trust me, I understand how hard that can be, just the THOUGHT of loosing enough hair to loose thickness makes me so anxious I can hardly stand it.:(

kittengirl
August 24th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I feel like I've been shedding a lot too, and I'm also really stressed lately. Then, of course, I stress about shedding, and that makes it all go in a loop. I am finally just brushing APL and I am so happy I want it to continue thick to WL, my goal, and I get so worried about it. DH thinks I'm insane to worry about my hair so much, but I still do!

PolarCathy
August 24th, 2012, 11:18 PM
You have my empathy, even though I have no advice. I too shed now my weekly shed in one day. I don't want to say in a public forum why. Contrary to you though, I do feel like I will be bald by November (it happened once 4 years ago that I lost more than half of my thickness in less than two months -- I didn't measure, I just have pics and estimate). Btw my lost hair never got back to its original state. It came back much much thinner. :( :( Let's hope our shed will stop soon.

aksown
August 25th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I started a stress shed 3 years ago that morphed into hypothyroidism and I lost nearly half my hair, then it refused to grow anymore. :( Fortunately, I am healing my thyroid and my hair is getting thicker and longer. :) It will end and hopefully your's won't go as badly awry as mine did. :flowers:

MeowScat
August 25th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Hi Zesty!

I'm right there with ya, girl! This has been one of the worst summers of my entire life and my hair is showing it, too. I can't believe how much I'm shedding. I look at the shed hairs in my comb and also in the shower and I say outloud, "Really?! Are you f'n kidding me?!!"

It's really true that our hair has a delayed reaction to our emotions. We need to take a deep breath and try to find a way to calm our nerves. Lately, I've been distracting myself by watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" DVD's. Laughter is the best medicine.

I'm sorry you're so stressed, it must be incredibly hard to be abroad plus the pressure of school. You're much braver than I could ever be. I think it's time you patted yourself on the back and treated yourself to something that makes you smile. You deserve it.

I'll be checking this thread, I'm so glad you started it. Misery loves company. :)

vamq
August 25th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I feel so sorry for you, Zesty, as I know what you're going through. After a really rough half year, I developed an anxiety disorder last summer (2011). The stress made me lose 13 kg in less than 3 months, and with that I lost almost 1/3rd of my hairthickness. Bald spots showed up at my temples and my arch enemy cowlick at the back of my hair decided to play against me as well. I thought I was going bald! I litterally have been crying in the shower over the amount of hair I was losing every time (400+, easily). Not to mention brushing my hair was an absolute nightmare. People aroung me started noticing as well "geez, your hair was everywhere in my house after your last visit" : I think that was the worst of all.

I went to a doctor to make sure it wasn't something else (in my case, it wasn't). Maybe that would be a good idea for you to do as well? That way, at least you are sure it is stress, and not something else!

It took a while to get better. The shedding lasted from june until januari, and then things finally started to get better. I now have a very charming halo of frizz all aroung me when my hair is up :p. When I grab all my hair near my scalp, it is almost as thick as it used to be. It does grow back!
In the mean time, I visited a hairdresser twice, and cut back from almost tailbone to waist (I'm not suggesting for you to cut your hair, but personally couldn't stand the sudden fairytale ends my hair had as I like a blunt hemline).

Try not to focus on your hair. It is hard, I know. Be gentle to it. Try brushing it less, and put it up and away. Especially the last thing worked for me because that way I wouldn't be reminded of my hairloss the entire time.

Good luck. It might take a while, but it will get better, really :)

Zesty
August 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Thank you to everyone who's responded. It's good to know that I'm not alone and that it will in all likelihood get better. Sorry for not posting sooner (I had a brief but bad case of food poisoning in the past 24 hours).

I'm trying to focus on eating right and being happy. It's hard though, and I almost feel like I have PTSD or something from the experience -- it's harder to keep my mood afloat. I tend to put my hair up and ignore it anyway, so that helps. It's just really frustrating that a time I really want to put behind me is coming back to bite me this way.

I guess I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your stories and offering support. :flower:

lindaton
August 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Ive lost weight from clean eating and working out and my hair is also falling out the worst it ever has. I am so afraid I am going to lose it all. I do[did] have extra thick hair. It has been 3 months and it still isnt slowing down. I am taking vitamins and wearing it up and trying not to handle it anymore than i have to.

Fabulosity
August 31st, 2012, 07:01 AM
I'm going through a tremendous shed right now. It's been going on for two months. I was hopeful that it was slowing down last week but it's picked up again. I don't have a lot of hair to begin with, and losing a few hundred hairs a day is taking an enormous toll. I may have to cut way back, and it has taken me so long to get here, that I am discouraged and depressed.

Like many of you, I've have bloodwork done, and there is nothing showing up that could be problematic. I eat a healthy diet with lots of healthy fats and proteins. I get exercise. I am in my 50s, and this could be hormonal to a degree. Or perhaps it is just one of those things, or a reaction to life stress.

Making the decision about whether to cut or wait it out and then make a decision is difficult. I'm growing weary of it looking so poorly and thin. I had just reached waist when the shed began.

masaur
August 31st, 2012, 01:58 PM
I have also been shedding like crazy for the past 2 months. About 200 hairs a day. And it doesn't seem to be slowing down. :(
I've had a full blood work done and everything is normal. Of course my Dr. says "it must just be stress" but the only stress I have is all this shedding.
I have an appointment in a week and a half to see a Naturopath. Hopefully she can shine some light on the situation.

Good luck all you shedders

DancingQueen
August 31st, 2012, 02:12 PM
You could try priorin. I have been using it for 1 month, and I am finally seeing (small, but steady) results. It is especially mede for hairloss, so maybe it will work?

Zesty
August 31st, 2012, 07:14 PM
Okay, I'm freaking out now. I just measured my circumference again and I'm down to around 3.5". This is not just me not being good with a tape measure. :cry: I never thought this would happen to me.

I'm terrified that it's something other than the stress of my semester. I have made other changes, like trying to eat better and stretching washes an extra day, but I feel like that shouldn't affect it? Regardless, I'm going back to what worked before to try to stop this. I'm scared. :(

Hollyfire3
August 31st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Okay, I'm freaking out now. I just measured my circumference again and I'm down to around 3.5". This is not just me not being good with a tape measure. :cry: I never thought this would happen to me.

I'm terrified that it's something other than the stress of my semester. I have made other changes, like trying to eat better and stretching washes an extra day, but I feel like that shouldn't affect it? Regardless, I'm going back to what worked before to try to stop this. I'm scared. :(

I'm SO sorry this is happening to you! I say go to a Dr. soon. In the meantime, really try looking at anything in your life that may affect your hair. I really have no idea what else to say other then you have my support and hugs. Best of luck

Zesty
August 31st, 2012, 10:03 PM
Well my mom's making me go to the doctor and also the psychiatrist because she thinks it might be related to my anxiety/depression/potential OCD problems I've been having (which are issues that should be relegated to the Friendship Board, I think, so I won't go into it). I just really want to figure out exactly what's wrong so I can attempt to fix it.

Hollyfire3
August 31st, 2012, 10:17 PM
Well my mom's making me go to the doctor and also the psychiatrist because she thinks it might be related to my anxiety/depression/potential OCD problems I've been having (which are issues that should be relegated to the Friendship Board, I think, so I won't go into it). I just really want to figure out exactly what's wrong so I can attempt to fix it.

This sounds like the best plan, and best of luck with the psychiatrist too.:)

MeowScat
September 1st, 2012, 02:35 AM
Yes, that's a good plan, Zesty.

When I stretch washes, I shed more. Maybe the scalp build-up is suffocating the follicles making them shed much earlier?

I've noticed that sheds go on for months, not days or weeks. The season is changing soon and that can impact your body in different ways, too.

Just remember that 3.5 is still a LOT of hair (it's certainly more than me!)

I'm glad you're going to get everything checked out. Anxiety does a number on our bodies.

Oksana
September 1st, 2012, 05:15 AM
I'm really sorry you are experiencing this. I am also going through a scary stress shed, my ponytail going from 3.75 to 3.00 in under two weeks. I have had to cut 3 inches off my ends because it really did look so thin.

I know exactly what has caused it and I am now trying to concentrate on relaxing and looking after myself. I hope it starts to get better for you :blossom:

vamq
September 1st, 2012, 07:34 AM
One thing I found out myself is not to change your hair routine too much right now (that is, if you had a routine that worked for you before the shedding started. Brushing or combing more gentle can be good though). Maybe I am completely wrong here, but when I started shedding I tried so many, many different things to make it less. Stretching washings, washing my hair more often, trying all kinds of products I never tried before...In the end, I didn't know if the shedding was stress-related or just because of all the different hair-routine things I was trying...

Also, I think it's a really good idea to see a doctor asap!

Zesty
September 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM
One thing I found out myself is not to change your hair routine too much right now (that is, if you had a routine that worked for you before the shedding started. Brushing or combing more gentle can be good though). Maybe I am completely wrong here, but when I started shedding I tried so many, many different things to make it less. Stretching washings, washing my hair more often, trying all kinds of products I never tried before...In the end, I didn't know if the shedding was stress-related or just because of all the different hair-routine things I was trying...

Also, I think it's a really good idea to see a doctor asap!
I had been fiddling with my routine a little bit, but I'm going back to the last thing that definitely worked for me, that I did for years, and which therefore cannot be associated with this sudden shed -- which is every-other-day washing with Head and Shoulders shampoo.

I'll probably get blood work done at the doctor's, and if that comes back normal (as I sort of expect it will), then maybe being treated by a psychiatrist again and reducing my anxiety will help.