PDA

View Full Version : ageless Rapunzel

Tai Shan Fan
August 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042848/Rapunzel-Rapunzel-Pensioners-amazing-feet-long-locks-havent-cut-55-YEARS.html

:bottomsup:

Hair care routine included in article.

Dientje
August 8th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Wow, that woman has some amazing hair!

sipnsun
August 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Cool link! I couldn't imagine only washing my hair twice a year but if it took 24 hours to dry everytime, I might feel differently.

Xandergrammy
August 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Wonderful story and pictures!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

LadyMoon11
August 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
She's beautiful. Thank you for sharing the story!

Carolyn
August 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I don't think she looks anywhere near 70. I guess that's proof that long hair makes you look younger than your years :cool: I hope she doesn't cut it short if she cuts it at all. The part I don't understand is it taking 2-3 hours to comb. Is that possible? Don't we have people here with hair that length or close to it? I've never heard them mention that their hair takes that long to comb.

Feng-Shui
August 8th, 2008, 09:44 AM
The hair of this woman is very beautiful.

She washes it only each six months and it seems for her hair to really work.

Thanks for sharing with us.:flowers:

Elleyena
August 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
wow :agape: that's amazing. Her hair looks like it's in great condition. I hope that I can get my hair to be healthy like that.

Curlsgirl
August 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
How inspiring!!! Beautiful BEAUTIFUL hair! And it really does make her look young!

ladystar
August 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I loved it, nice story

paper
August 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Wow, her hair is beautiful and she looks so young.

sexyjacksparrow
August 8th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Cool. I don't think I would have the patience to spend two and a half hours combing it though!

Kerry xx

butterflykisses
August 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I wonder if she then also only brushes it very seldom since it takes her so long. If she did it on a regular basis you'd think it wouldn't get as tangled. Maybe she only brushes when she washes?

thankyousir74
August 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Wow she looks really young for 70... I thought she was in like her early 50's... and to wash it twice a year, so that means she's SO most of the time, eh?

Anne~
August 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for sharing that link!

happymommy
August 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I love how you can see the timeline of her life in her hair. At the ends, she can point and say "Here I was 16." And then tell the story of her life as she goes up! What a wonderful way to keep memories! The color on the ends is still the rich brunette she was as a teenager :) If I had hair like that I would seperate each decade with ribbons and then use them to tell my grandchildren the story of their families (Insert cheese here, lol)

I don't know why I think that is so neat, but I do.

And I would have never ever guessed she was 70!

Anje
August 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I can't imagine washing quite so little combined with not combing it or distibuting the oils in some way. Maybe the SO people would be able shed more light on that subject, though.

In any case, her hair looks gorgeous (if a little fairytaled for my taste), so it must be working. I hope she doesn't cut it all off, but just goes back to something like calf length.

JessTheMess
August 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Wow I can not believe she is 70!!! Amazing... she doesn't look a day over 50! It would kill me to only wash my hair twice a year! Thank you for sharing that with us :D

Fencai
August 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
both her and her hair are amazing! I could only hope to look HALF as good as she does at age 70!

good for her!!!!! I love it!!!!

Carolyn
August 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I wonder if there is any way we could invite her to check out LHC. I would love to hear more about her hair care routine and her styles. Of course we'd have to encourage her to keep her beautiful hair!

NurseMama
August 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Thank you so much for sharing!

I got the impression from the article that it took 2 hours to comb it because she fingercombed and couldn't use a brush or comb? Is that right?

I really agree that she looks young, she looks 50 or so to me! Incredible!

So do you all think that she must be scritching and preening to distribute the oil?

Cinnamon Hair
August 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Am I the only one who caught that they list her hair as two different lengths in the article? At one point it's 5'6" and then further down it's 75".

I agree that the 2.5 hour combing time is a bit strange. We have several people here with that length and I've never heard it mentioned. Then again, are we assuming she only combs once every 6 months?

All in all, her hair care routine seems a little odd (ok, more than a little), but I suppose some things were lost between what she said to the journalist and what was actually written. :shrug:

Also, I seriously doubt she has hair from when she was 16 years old. Those strands must have been shed long ago. Just because she hasn't cut since then, doesn't mean she isn't at terminal length. I mean, if her hair reached the floor by 30, then *something* must be happening to all the new growth.

Islandgrrl
August 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I did notice the disparity between the length descriptions, but no matter what the length, her hair is wonderful. I really hope she doesn't cut it off. How sad that would be!

kate46
August 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Lovely story and amazing hair! The way I read it I think she meant it took 2 to 3 hours to comb out after washing! Hence that's why she uses baby shampoo for less tangling, (don't really understand using baby shampoo but hey whatever works for her :shrug:). It would be really interesting to know how she cares for her hair between washings, brushing, scritching etc.

Darkhorse1
August 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I can honestly say I am SO HAPPY to read that article! And wow--she looks amazing! Yep, long hair keeps you young :)

jessie58
August 8th, 2008, 01:44 PM
There were a few discrepencies in that article that made me feel it was not really truthful and also I find it very difficult to believe that she is 70 years old.

Having said that, whoever she is, she is pretty, her hair is pretty and natural looking and healthy looking.

Kiraela
August 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Wow! It looks lovely!

Lady Godiva
August 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
What an inspiring woman, and rearing five children, too.

My guess is the 2.5 hours to comb means for the two times each year when she washes it. Post-wash detangling can take a while when I wash all of my hair, but usually I have help detangling.

I can't find anything about 75". :confused: Even if so, that might be from when her hair was floor length. Maybe she's my height. ;)

Something to keep in mind is just because a person *can* grow her hair to the floor or has done so at one time doesn't mean she has to keep it that length. She might cut back to 60" or 66" or regrow to 75" or cut back to 50" or 55" or whatever. Ms. Burgess has never cut her hair *short* again, which was her point when she chose to grow it long for good. That's what I got out of her determination.

spidermom
August 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Whoa! Look at her! She looks great for 70.

berr
August 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
A different link that states her hair is her height of 5'6".

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1533764.ece

Wonderful hair. Some people preserve well. I know an almost 80 yr old woman that looks exactly like one of her daughters that is 60. They confuse me:eye: , and I worked with both of them when I was younger. Hi mary, no I'm emma. Hi emma, no I'm mary. Now I just say.. HI!!! So nice to see you, how are you? Neither of them look old by any stretch of the imagination. If I didn't know them I would never guess either one of them were over 50. I can already tell I'm not going to be that lucky. Fifty did a number on me.

dor3girl
August 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Wow! Amazing... I wonder if her ex-husband was irritated by the haircare routine? I have heard of men getting irritated with the extremely long hair care (or nail-care) routines.

I think I would have a hard time giving up even the "dusting" trims, let alone the 1/4" to 1/8" ones *sigh* It sounds like hers grew the most in her 20's & 30's & the rest has been maintenance & terminal length.

Kudos to her for keeping it long!

Merlin
August 12th, 2008, 04:41 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7554208.stm

TammySue
August 12th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks for posting this! I really enjoyed watching it.

nayver
August 12th, 2008, 04:52 AM
She has beautiful hair!!!! And she decide to let it grow after seeing a short hair pic...the way many of us have decided it :)

Periwinkle
August 12th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Someone posted an article about this somewhere else, but it didn't have such an amazing video :O

Her hair is absolutely stunning! I'm surprised that combing it takes her so long, though. And in the other article, it was phrased as if she only took it down from a bun twice a year, as well as only washing it twice a year, but that doesn't seem to be the case here...I'm a little confused.

jojo
August 12th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Thanks for sharing that, I enjoyed it so much i watched it twice!

She looks much younger than a lady in her 70's, sort of gets rid of the silly myth that long hair on older ladies is aging poppycock, her hair is gorgeous and it looks lovely on her.

podo
August 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
So... she says (I think) that she takes it down every fortnight (2 weeks) to comb it, and shampoos it twice a year.

Does that mean she just leaves it up in the same bun or braid the rest of the time? Seriously? What about dirt and sweat?! I thought someone on here said "bun" but the only thing I see her doing is a braid.

I must admit I like the idea of putting up my hair and leaving it alone for 2 weeks.

Stagecoach
August 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM
A neat video!

MeMyselfandI
August 12th, 2008, 11:46 PM
So... she says (I think) that she takes it down every fortnight (2 weeks) to comb it, and shampoos it twice a year.

Does that mean she just leaves it up in the same bun or braid the rest of the time? Seriously? What about dirt and sweat?! I thought someone on here said "bun" but the only thing I see her doing is a braid.

I must admit I like the idea of putting up my hair and leaving it alone for 2 weeks.

Thanks for posting Merlin.

Podo, I heard the thing.

I think she buns it because there were the pins that were shown.

In England, it is cooler so I do not think sweat is a s much an issue, also I would assume she is way past menopause so hormones would not effect the scalp as much as teens, young adults, pregnant women or women during their periods. Just a thought.

Saranne772
August 13th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Lovely hair. And so little grey too (although I like grey LOL)

Tai Shan Fan
August 13th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Someone posted an article about this somewhere else, but it didn't have such an amazing video :O

Yup, it's the same woman
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9972

Tai Shan Fan
August 13th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Merlin found a video of this woman

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=228545#post228545

Kuchen
August 13th, 2008, 05:58 AM
The Sun's website had loads of commenters saying she should cut it and "give it to charity". Meh. Looks like that Locks of Love thing has hit the UK...

Brianna
August 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Hah, love all the ignorant comments on the Sun's article. For one, gray hair wouldn't be acceptable for donation in the first place (it's sold instead), and second, the guy who says that it had to have been cut because theoretically after 55 years it should be at least 27 feet long has clearly never heard of terminal length.

Anyway, lovely hair on the lady! And she really doesn't look 70 at all.

mellie
August 13th, 2008, 07:25 AM
She looks so young and beautiful! What an inspiration!

Haith
August 13th, 2008, 07:35 AM
She looks very beautiful and happy. I hope I'm filled with that much vitality as I age. She is inspirational, and has some beautiful hair, too, of course!

Shell
August 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I met a woman at the mall who has her hair professionally braided once every two weeks, and she leaves it up the whole time until her next braid; she's about the same age as Jean. I don't know how often she washes. She has it done in a similar style, high pony, braid (she does three) and then bunned, which is what I assume Jean does. I don't know how often the woman I met washes.

Great video, thanks Merlin.

ETA: The woman at the mall has tailbone length hair and it's quite grey.

Jen
August 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I must be losing my sensitivity to very long hair because..while hers admittedly looks great..I was MORE impressed with her overall good health and appearance. She's 70?!

I hope I am as well for wear if I live that long. Wow.

angelthadiva
August 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Very beautiful story! She looks fantastic and so does her hair.

LadyLongLocks
August 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Interesting story....but washing 2 times a year? YIKES!!Combing should not take that long! My hair is 52" and it takes me 2 minutes, but I wash it 2 times a week. Nice that she kept it long all those years. Too bad she didn't wear it down more often, seems like a waste to hide it most of your life.
Nice article, thanks for posting.

GreenGables
August 19th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Wow, that's some hair!

Sherri
August 19th, 2008, 07:56 AM
She really is a beautiful woman. Also very pretty when she was younger. Was wondering if they were exaggerating a little about the washing and combing part to get people to read the story?

freznow
August 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM
To shed some light on the combing thing: If she only washes every 6 months and takes it down every one to two weeks, then the coming probably includes massage, preen, detangling, removal of shed hairs, etc. etc. It's not a length issue. I mean, I'd never heard of scritching in the 'outside of LHC world', so I'd just call that combing too. And it seems that in SO hair likes 30 minutes a day of preening. If she turned that into a weekly thing, and it works for her, so be it!

And I also agree with Sherri. Journalists are known for exaggerating...

heidi w.
August 19th, 2008, 09:33 AM
DYQ's hair is over 14 feet long!! She's very well known in China yet lives in the US. Lovely, lovely person!

Lady Grace has incredible hair that has been over 8 feet long. Unbelievably thick.

Lady Godiva is well over 5 feet in length. I think she's close to 6 feet tall, and her hair is at her feet.

I am close to 5 feet. Denise is probably slightly longer or just about 5 feet. I've also met folks longer than 5 feet who do not participate on the boards.

What's amazing is this woman is 70 years old, and apparently, still growing! Let's hope this happens for me. Great genes she's got!!

heidi w.

Lady Godiva
August 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
slight hijack/

Lady Godiva is well over 5 feet in length. I think she's close to 6 feet tall, and her hair is at her feet.Hee, I am 5'-8" according to the doctor's measurements, but my hair is longer, although that's because of measuring the standard way from the front hairline back over the head and down the backside. It's weird to me that my stats to the left are greater than my actual height. I'm betting that your stats probably match your height?

I can recall some strange times when my hair has taken over an hour to detangle, usually following a braid that's been in my hair for three days or so. Ugh. It's very frustrating when that happens.