PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent TANGLES?!

jojo89
August 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM
So my hair is very tangly especially underneath where my hair is even thinner and at the ends of my top layers due to damage. I have tried so many leave-ins that don't work. Underneath when my hair gets tangled, it resembles dreadlocks :( My hair is a lil past APL and in order to get rid of the damage, I'd have to cut a good 4 inches off which is NOT going to happen. I just have to deal with it til it is all gone. I'm getting a trim Tuesday and I only want to take an inch off even though I should take more. The tangles are so frustrating and unpleasant. I'm hoping you guys could give me some advice on how to prevent my hair from tangling based off of personal experiences. Hopefully there is some magic formula you could share haha Thx in advance!

longNred
August 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM
personally I like Mane N Tail's detangler. also, have you tried keeping it braided or up, to reduce the tangles?

jojo89
August 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I put it in a side braid like every day for a month once. The hair tie would dent my hair and the tips would be straight. Is there a way around that. I didn't like the way it looked. I feel helpless cuz the more it tangles the more split ends I get and it just gets worse. Most of my splits are underneath which sucks cuz I've only colored the underneath like twice in the last year. Must been extra damaged. I'm gonna have to figure something out.

jojo89
August 24th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Also- I don't know how to french braid and I hate my left ear (lol) so I don't feel comfortable with my hair up and it sometimes causes headaches.

Madora
August 24th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Two words: Mineral Oil
More about it here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Bottom line: if you want to avoid tangles, for the sake of your hair, you'll need to be proactive learning to braid it..or confine it, to prevent tangles.

If you're constantly battling tangles, then there is more opportunity for damage from breakage when detangling.

Plain mineral oil (baby oil) contains just the Mo plus a fragrance (Johnson and Johnson baby oil fills the bill perfectly).

MO works best on hair that has been clarified first, but can be used on damp hair or dry hair as well. It helps keep moisture in the hair longer, plus detangles and conditions, and leaves the hair soft, supple and shiny.

You only use a few drops...2 or 3 at most for short hair.

How to: Put 2 or 3 drops of MO in a small pill bottle cap (or a dish), dip a cotton baby swab into the oil and coat the swab thoroughly. Apply the swab to your palms and fingers, then run your palms through your strands several times until the sheen has vanished on your palms.

MO works best alone, with no other additives or concoctions.

It rinses out easily and is very lightweight so it does not weigh down your hair.

Never thought something like mineral oil could be so effective at helping to eliminate tangles!

By the way, you still need to detangle, but the process is much speedier than detangling in the shower with your hair loaded with conditioner. Easier on the hair too, since you are not combing hair when it is wet (and at it's weakest).

gillybeanxo3921
August 24th, 2012, 02:55 PM
coconut oil makes my hair less tangly, and I've noticed: smaller, thinner elastics don't give my hair that awkward mark where I tied it off.

I braid my hair to the very ends and that also helps! Maybe try a rope braid? They're pretty easy, and I don't think I've ever gotten that strange dent from one of those.

Have you tried co washing? That may help out making your hair less prone to tangles.

I'm sorry about your hair, been-there-done-that. I used to have tons of damage. Literally, this time last year, my hair was dry, brittle, frizzy, and crunchy. It wasn't shiny, nor soft, and had the awkwardest wave pattern due to all the damage (which made it that much harder to stay away from my flat iron.)

You just have to stick with it, ya know? I've had about seven inches cut off since I decided to start growing my hair.. I didn't really want that much taken off, but you know how it goes when you walk into a salon with damaged hair. But my hair is way better off now, even though it's nearly the same length.

After this trim, your hair will probably feel a a lot better. So make it a goal to try and maintain that feeling for as long as possible before your hair goes back to how it is now. Do leave-ins as much as possible, try co washing, search and destroy, get a boar bristle brush, oh, and put something in your hair before you brush/comb it! Like I said before, coconut oil is great for this, it gives it a bit of slip, and the hair slides out of tangles more smoothly!

Good luck! Hope you find something that works :)

longNred
August 24th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Braiding takes nothing more than patience and practice. There are many more other than the French braid. Start more simply, with a basic 3 strand, or as suggested, a rope braid. Learn how to bun, and offset it to the left, by the ear you dislike. There are so many pretty, protective, easy to learn styles here to choose from, try a few! Most have tutorials and links to videos for help. As for the elastic mark and straight ends, try a paranda, many have great results getting waves to the very ends. Or try a different tie at the end, maybe a cut nylon? Less tight, less of a mark or dent in the end?

akilina
August 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Well tangles will be present - but I love my tangle teezer to get them out. Some hate the tangle teezer but it is my favorite brush out of all the brushes I have used in my life!
You can get them at Sallys (barf I despise that store) or online. Online they have soo many colors and cool selections. Also, a wooden comb to get out your tangles. Not sure what you already use...
Trimming sounds good. You don't have to chop. You could always take off the inch you planned, then once a month, or every two months do a small microtrim. I alternate. Some times I skip a month, sometimes I screw up and microtrim twice in a month.
We are practically hair twins, so I understand the under hairs getting especially messed up. It is just a hazard of the hair type we have. The hair underneath on me seems to be more fragile than the rest.
If you want to wear your hair down and try to avoid the tangles, I would try for a more light oil. Sweet almond oil is my friend.

While I love coconut oil, it doesn't work for my hair that great. Although, I do love the vatika coconut oil on my ends because of all the herbs. But that isn't just plain old coconut oil and nothing else. And while my oil has no harsh chemicals, ingredients you can not pronounce, or funky things, it is still not just a plain jar of CO.

And truly and honestly- with this hair type, I love my coney leave ins. They help me a lot. They make my hair smooth and slippery. I am not anti cone though. I love em. They work for me, and my hair is still in tact on my head. And I am not melting from chemical burns. So cones are not evil to me like they are to some.

Rufflebutt
August 24th, 2012, 09:33 PM
My hair generally doesn't tangle a whole lot. But when I was younger it tangled all of the time. Generally, updos are great if you don't want tangled hair. It keeps your hair out of the way too. :)

Milui Elenath
August 25th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Braiding takes nothing more than patience and practice. There are many more other than the French braid. Start more simply, with a basic 3 strand, or as suggested, a rope braid. Learn how to bun, and offset it to the left, by the ear you dislike. There are so many pretty, protective, easy to learn styles here to choose from, try a few! Most have tutorials and links to videos for help. As for the elastic mark and straight ends, try a paranda, many have great results getting waves to the very ends. Or try a different tie at the end, maybe a cut nylon? Less tight, less of a mark or dent in the end?

:agree: Agree with longNred and I think buns off to the side can look lovely. I have tangly hair but it's not damage so much as it is dryness - cutting it would not help. It's only the ends and it doesn't seem to make much difference how long or short it has been in relation to them tangling although I admit that at classic length it is a lot more tiring to detangle:rolleyes:.

For me oil does doesn't help the tangles at all since it then picks up lint which can cause knots and tangles but it does help the dryness and breakage and so it's still a benefit to tangly hair. Olive is the oil that works best for me but my hair is very dry - v e r y!

goldloli
August 25th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Two words: Mineral Oil

I tried out the mineral oil, just 2 drops and it was hideous. Shiny at first then it started to make tangled/hard to comb/dried/stiffened out hair. I had to go to gymnastics and my ponytail kept getting tangled and the amount of mechanical damage from that stuff making tangles worse brought me to this thread to look for preventative measures.

MeowScat
August 25th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Madora has the right idea...Mineral Oil (I use Johnsons Baby Oil).

I had the exact same problem as you during my many growing out phases.

Have you looked on YouTube for bun ideas? I've always used the basic cinnabun. You twist your hair and coil it around itself into a circle as many times as you can. You can secure it with a scrunchie, Goody Spin Pins (I love them!) a hair stick (inexpensive on eBay), a hair fork, etc.

Use extra conditioner underneath during your washing and let it marinate as long as possible or do a deep conditioning treatment.

Can you see your ends to S&D? A good snipping of the splits / white dots helps a lot.

DinaAG
August 25th, 2012, 06:39 AM
do you shampoo your hair in a wrong way? like pulling your hair up on your head?

heidi w.
August 25th, 2012, 07:00 AM
A ponytail is not a way to prevent hair from tangling. Hair is still hanging to the wind and so on.

The only way to prevent tangles is to put hair up or in some way bind the hair for the day, such as braiding. And that is it.

heidi w.

CarpeDM
August 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I have super tangly hair. I mean really tangly. It can get tangled from just standing for 5 minutes after I brush it. I have also tried a bunch of detanglers hoping it would help. Granted some detanglers are better than others, I find a good conditioner actually works better. Oils can also help, but really my only viable option to tangles is to slowly detangle in the morning and put my hair up all day in a bun. Then at night it goes in a braid or two. Tangly hair needs to be put up a lot or confined in braids if you don't want to deal with the tangles :)

goldloli
August 25th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Surprisingly catnip rinses help quell my tangles which was never the intended purpose for use but its a great plus. also try a leave in containing some of these ings.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/05/secret-to-super-slippery-conditioners.html

A ponytail is not a way to prevent hair from tangling. Hair is still hanging to the wind and so on.

The only way to prevent tangles is to put hair up or in some way bind the hair for the day, such as braiding. And that is it.

heidi w.

Sadly braids and buns are not permitted at class. Buns get in the way of doing rolls and headstand type moves and braids whip you during movements. Although i'm sure some kind of braid pinned under the sides would be okey. Needless to say i'm used to tangles. I wear a pony tail 3 days a week, I know how many tangles to expect but this was wayy too many, it was tangled before it even got put up, even at home after detangling and not moving very much it just tangled some more. It was also weirdly stiff and dried out my ends even though lately they have been very hydrated. I just wanted to post this because as with many things, mineral oil, i guess is ymmv. And I wish someone had let me know before I tried it.

Madora
August 25th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Surprisingly catnip rinses help quell my tangles which was never the intended purpose for use but its a great plus. also try a leave in containing some of these ings.

Sadly braids and buns are not permitted at class. Buns get in the way of doing rolls and headstand type moves and braids whip you during movements. Although i'm sure some kind of braid pinned under the sides would be okey. Needless to say i'm used to tangles. I wear a pony tail 3 days a week, I know how many tangles to expect but this was wayy too many, it was tangled before it even got put up, even at home after detangling and not moving very much it just tangled some more. It was also weirdly stiff and dried out my ends even though lately they have been very hydrated. I just wanted to post this because as with many things, mineral oil, i guess is ymmv. And I wish someone had let me know before I tried it.

Well, if you can't braid your ponytail, then may I suggest that you do the "caterpillar" technique on it..that is, band it down the length with soft covered elastics. At least then it will be confined and not become so tangled!

I am at a loss to understand why braids are not permitted.

Milui Elenath
August 26th, 2012, 01:19 AM

Wow that would just not work for my length hair and hair type. Having a ponytail is like having it out! I could totally imagine getting arms caught in my hair doing a roll or something but then I am a bit too old for gymnastic class :D

As for mineral oil I just don't like it based on what it is and where it comes from. Never tried it, never will. shudder: I do imagine it could cause tangles the same as any oil (even sebum) in picking up lint and sticking hair together perhaps even more so if gym is causing static.

DancingQueen
August 26th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Well, updos with braids or buns should work pretty well. And maybe try a silk pillowcase? I am using one currently, and even though I am not sure, I think it tangles a little less.

But my magic trick is oil. Every time I comb my hair, I start with a little oil, distribute in my hair, and work with any tangles/knots I can. Then I comb. Sometimes, I split it into 2-4 sections to make it easier. This has reduced my breakage quite a bit. :)

Golden
August 26th, 2012, 02:12 AM
When I just washed my hair I put a tiny bit of conditioner in my hair, it helps A LOT.
Mineral oil is also an option, or coconut oil (my hair just loves that stuff :D)

Othala
August 26th, 2012, 02:18 AM
I use a little Kinky Curly Knot Today on damp hair after washing and I find I get no tangles for a couple of days. It's wonderful stuff and lasts for ages.

pepperminttea
August 26th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Things that work for me: Silk pillowcase and/or silk sleep cap. 'Cones. Some oils (not mineral oil). Updos/braids (not ponytails). Breaking the 'hair twiddling when bored' habit. Changing how I wash my hair (Torrin has a great vid here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzEjdmXaUUU)). Using a good leave-in. S&Ding to remove splits and single-strand knots, which other hairs tend to tangle around. If product build-up is a possibility; clarifying shampoo. If mineral build-up is a possibility; chelating/swimmers shampoo. If you've been using a lot of protein, adding more moisture. Too much moisture? Add protein.

I think that's pretty much everything. There will always still be some tangles though; the best you can do is reduce the amount as much as you can, and make peace with the rest. :)

goldloli
August 26th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I use a little Kinky Curly Knot Today on damp hair after washing and I find I get no tangles for a couple of days. It's wonderful stuff and lasts for ages.
Op, If you are a fan of styling products then i'd massively agree that curly girl product recommendations for leave ins give great slip. I've been using some I picked up in sallys, for me they do a better job than silicone glossing serums.

I am at a loss to understand why braids are not permitted.
Ahhh lol it is because the instructor got whipped in the face by my braid while he was helping me do a flip, which caused him to drop me and subsequently ban :o tbh my hair is getting too long for even pony tail, he stepped on it the other day #longhairproblems. I fear banding would also be a problem. I think something like this will work because there is no bulk at the crown/top/back of head, I just have to learn it.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lblrp13jZo1qbxpz7o1_500.jpg

Taenarian
August 26th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Tangles and how to deal with them is exactly how I found my way to LHC. My tangles are fewer now that I oil daily and braid or bun daily. (Still have to deal with random fairy knots here and there.) All of the advice given above is excellent and should work for you.

Madora
August 26th, 2012, 08:49 AM
@Goldloli...Thanks for the explanation re: why braids are banned.

That was a lovely braided do. You'll find a lace crown braid works really well because for the most part it "locks" itself in to place and you only have to be concerned with threading the remaining braid through the braid already made, then securing with thread or a shoelace (in place of hairpins).

jen5972
August 26th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I have had problems with horrible tangles since growing my hair out. I would get to tailbone, then classic, and chop it to waist because the tangles would be so bad that I would get giant matting. I tried silk pillowcases, special detanglers, and the Tangle Teezer. Nothing worked to get rid of the matting until I followed Torrin's advice on one of her videos. I had always been anti silicones. I had heard they were bad for curlies/wavies, so I steered clear of them. Torrin recommended Silk Drops, and in desperation I decided to try some. Oh my word, it has been amazing. I can wear my hair down without major tangles! No more matting! I still use my silk pillowcases, and my Tangle Teezer. But now I add the Silk Drops :).

Jen
Longhair albums: http://public.fotki.com/jen5972/

ptricia
August 26th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Oiling damp hair prevents my hair from tangling. I also have a anti-tangle spray from Yves Rocher that doesn't contain silicons this also does the job.http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/control/hair-care/specialized-hair-care/detangling-styling-water/?cmSrc=Category

Immera
August 26th, 2012, 09:36 AM
If a bun isn't allowed, could a crown braid type style work? I can't actually crown braid, but I can take two dutch or french braids and pin them or hair tape them.

Here is a torrin paige tutorial on hair taping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME

or maybe you could interlace them. From Loepsie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M&feature=related

jojo89
August 28th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Wow ladies!! Thank you for all the detailed responses. Much appreciated :) I get a trim tonight and from this point on, I will be consistent with all these precautionary measures. So far, I've bought the tangle teezer in purple which I love and now I need to check into these silk drops and "Kinky Curly Knot Today." I use a satin pillow case and I deep condition too. I will def. give Mineral oil a try. I already use the Johnson&Johnson brand to remove makeup. I've heard mineral oil is a carcigen, but who knows how true that it. Seems like everything has side effects. I plan on going to Sally's soon to get good shears for S&D. I haven't done it yet since I don't have the right scissors and also I have far too many splits to do that, but hopefully after my trim, it'll be better.

jojo89
August 28th, 2012, 09:08 AM
And I need to check out some updo/braid tutorials on youtube. What's sad is that I learned braids in cosmetology vocational school and forgot all of them. I truely have a terrible memory!!

KwaveT
August 28th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Mine most definitely tangles, my hair sheds so much that I don't like doing it wet. I do it when it is dry and have to sometimes even untwist hairs to get hair detangled.

MrsGuther
August 28th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I use a deep conditioner in the shower, gently detangle then put my hair up when it is still damp. Keeping your hair up most of the time will help keep tangles away.

jojo89
September 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Last night I did the baking soda/shampoo method to clarify my hair followed by an ACV rinse and my hair is much less tangly and just feels lighter and softer. I'm hoping this lasts awhile!!

dawnss
September 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Op, If you are a fan of styling products then i'd massively agree that curly girl product recommendations for leave ins give great slip. I've been using some I picked up in sallys, for me they do a better job than silicone glossing serums.

Ahhh lol it is because the instructor got whipped in the face by my braid while he was helping me do a flip, which caused him to drop me and subsequently ban :o tbh my hair is getting too long for even pony tail, he stepped on it the other day #longhairproblems. I fear banding would also be a problem. I think something like this will work because there is no bulk at the crown/top/back of head, I just have to learn it.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lblrp13jZo1qbxpz7o1_500.jpg

I can understand your gymnastic instructor's rules, safety trumps everything especially when someone is spotting you. I would go on youtube and took up crown braids, they look really similar to the hair style you posted in the picture. Or you can try log rolls, that way when you do basic tumbling you can still do really pretty handstands and perfect forward and backward rolls!