PDA

View Full Version : Perm damage vs. heat damage

prismfaerie
August 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Hello LHCers! My cousin naturally has wavy-ish, extremely poufy and frizzy East Asian hair, which she had permanently straightened a year ago. Now her “natural” hair’s grown out to ear-length. I understand that permanent hair straightening works by breaking the bonds in the hair, which causes damage. Since joining LHC, I’ve come to embrace the “natural” hair-care philosophy here, and tried to convince her not to do too much damage to her hair. But it’s her hair, so if she want’s it straight, I’ll respect that.

What intrigued me was reading on an LHC forum that very strong, virgin hair can go through a perm or hair straightening “virtually undamaged”- could that be possible? Also, does anyone know if it is worse to straighten hair permanently once, then take good care of it, or to use a flat-iron twice a week for a year? And is there any way to minimize the damage done by hair straightening, for example hot-oil treatments?

I’m very curious about this, I’d appreciate if anyone could shine some light on this matter for me :)

Simone_Fatale
August 24th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Not sure about permanent straightening, but from my own experience - using cone-heavy masks and conditioner kind of 'masks' the damage until it can be cut off. Cause nothing will prevent heat damage, but it can be slowed down and hidden until you trim it off.

I've been straightening my hair 2 times a week for almost 7 months now, using a cone-heavy mask very often and it didn't look damaged AT ALL. But then I stopped using it for a month or so and I guess all the silicones washed out and it looks a lot worse now.
I need to straighten my hair since I'm in the awkward phase and I'd chop all of my hair off if I ditched the flat iron, so I'm back on using cones till it gets long enough to stop flat ironing and cut off the damage. Not sure about the hot oils but I think nothing can 'prevent' or 'cure' heat damage - you can either mask it or chop it off.

DinaAG
August 24th, 2012, 02:00 PM
well blow drying used to harm my hair even if i used it only once a month but since i straightened it permanently it was just fine but i always take good care of it: vitamins, masks, deep oiling, moisturizing, just tell her to choose a good product formaldehyde free

pink.sara
August 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
It depends on her hair type and how easily it straightens.

Perming breaks the di-sulphide bonds between keratin fibres resulting in straight or curly hair depending on how its realigned when neutralised... So will leave permanently weakened spots in hair fibre.

Straightening can also boil the moisture inside hair and explode, leaving weakened spots.

I'd say that a straightening iron even on a very low heat (not GHD's) once every now and again would be more damaging. I myself straightened once our twice a week until my hair was past shoulder, but now at BSL can see the damage on the ends.

Best bet would be to learn how to blow dry properly on a low heat if she must straighten it, or learn to hair wrap (found these great techniques on you tube by searching hair wrapping).

prismfaerie
August 25th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks, all you lovely LHCers!!! :) I'll be sure to pass these tips on to her.