PDA

View Full Version : Keeping hair out of face

WaitingSoLong
August 24th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Ok, so I want to wear my hair down more. I used to secure the top part of my hair with a barrette to keep it out of my face (it doesn't stay behind my ears), but I cannot find a barrette that is hair-friendly and also not too big. My hair is sort of thin, so the one kind (http://www.quillingpatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/boon2.jpeg)just slide right out. An elastic, even a hair "safe" one, looks terrible and I always lose several hair when I remove it and/or the hair is too thin for it to stay anyway.

Are there other options? It is not enough hair to use a Ficcare or stick. We are basically talking what my bangs would be, if I had them. I have tried a braid and that was a no-go as well. It was actually quite horrible.

I guess I would really like a hair friendly barrette that is small enough to hold my thin hiar but isn't a baby's barette! I tried googling barrettes but they are all hair-unfriendly.

sakuraemily
August 24th, 2012, 06:49 AM
how about a jaw clip? I use them and they never tear my hair.

Madora
August 24th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Goody makes a great one piece Ouchless barrette:

http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Comfort-flex-Updo-Barrette-Colors/dp/B003XS25JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345812946&sr=8-1&keywords=goody+ouchless+flex+barrette

Comes in 2 sizes and is easy to use.

I found mine at Target.

Amber_Maiden
August 24th, 2012, 07:11 AM
What about a headband?

kaydana
August 24th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I always use bobby pins when I fasten that part of my hair back. Never noticed any damage from it and they don't slide out.

Firefly
August 24th, 2012, 07:27 AM
When the whispies are driving me crazy, I wear a bandana. I tuck my hair behind my ears then put on the bandana, wearing it low on my forehead (just above the eyebrows) and it secures the hair behind my ears. This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=699&pictureid=33275) picture will give you an idea of what I'm talking about, though I haven't put the hair behind my ears for this one.

HTH

MinderMutsig
August 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM
What works well for me is to take the front pieces, pull them together at the nape so they form sort of a headband, and secure them there. You could use an elastic, mini claw clip, bobbypins, whatever works for your hair. It keeps you hair out of your face and is invisible.

I know I've seen a picture tutorial on this but I can't seem to find it.

ETA: Ha! Found it (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/how-to-wear-your-hair-down/)!

browneyedsusan
August 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I pin my bangs back every stinkin' day--mullet disguise :bounce:-- and my hair is super slippery. Jaw clips and barrettes just slide out.

I've been doing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJQ88K2QQg
twisting and pinning back everything in front of my ears, and it holds pretty well.

I just stumbled on this today--while looking for the other video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJQ88K2QQg and it looks like it could work too.

I've also made a lacebraid across the front from ear to ear and secure with an elastic and cover the elastic with a little jaw clip. It's messy, but I think I'll get better at it.

Today is a "caterpillar" pony. I started it at one ear and ran it over the top of my head to the other ear. I put little jaw clips on the elastics.

I've used these too, but they slide out after a while-- http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair%20Accessories/Classics%20Assorted%20Snap%20Clips?colId=4941ce8c-052f-4085-84fc-6f58589347fb&c_id=1a7ea079-c44c-481e-8d02-db7cd0b32277
I had to put a dab of clear nail polish over the little hole in the end because some of those little rivets snagged and pulled out my hair, but the nail polish solved it.

Hopefully you can find something non-damaging that works for you!

ETA: added info and link for snap type barrette
:)

Knotted
August 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I've been wearing my hair down lately more, too, but am growing out bangs. I often wear my bangs twisted back and pinned with a bobby pin. Here's a quick video (this is not me!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPf7mAgdy0I

I also have some cute bobby pins I use if I want to dress it up a bit, too. Ones with rhinestones, birds, etc.

florenonite
August 24th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Have you tried the small claw clips? I used those all the time when I was growing out my bangs. I also liked to lace braid from my parting (I wear a side part), across the top of my head, and down to one ear.

Zindell
August 24th, 2012, 09:17 AM
A flexi8 (http://www.flexi8.com/)!

I used to love barrettes but they were bad for my hair. Now I use flexi8s instead and I love them. :)

neko_kawaii
August 24th, 2012, 09:27 AM
On the rare occasions I want to wear my hair down I use an elastic headband to keep the wispies and everything else out of my face.

neko_kawaii
August 24th, 2012, 09:34 AM
On the rare occasions I want to wear my hair down I use an elastic headband to keep the wispies and everything else out of my face.

Kaelee
August 24th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Flexi-8s work for me. Also Goody makes a very nice headband that doesn't pinch and holds very well. I love mine.

patienceneeded
August 24th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Hat, headband, headscarf, or bobby pins. I use bobby pins to pin my bangs up and away. I also use mini claw-clips. If I don't want to bother with pinning or clipping I use one of my many headscarves or wear a hat. I don't care for traditional headbands, they tend to pinch behind my ears and give me a headache. I do love my headscarves though...

LadyLongLocks
August 24th, 2012, 10:20 AM
What about doing a small bun?

jojo
August 24th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I just twist mine back in 3 sections, twisting towards the back and secure with baby occtopus clips but as your twisting put a teeny bit of oil on your hands to stop the fly always from escaping!

Anje
August 24th, 2012, 11:09 AM
What about snap clips? I've found some larger ones before that were quite hair-friendly, coated so they wouldn't slide down slippery hair, and looked a bit more adult than the standard triangular chrome-finish ones. These oval ones from Scunci, for example. (http://scunci.com/products.php?pcID=151&products_id=515)

WaitingSoLong
August 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Octopus, claw clips, flexis do not work for me. They all just slide out. ?? I have a drawer full of mini claws. They just don't stay? Am I weird? Inept?

I dislike anything that goes all the way around my head. I have to wear them for work and I HATES THEM. lol. Plus, they slide, too. Even the grippy ones. Scarves, elastic, bandanas, all slide right out. Plus am I the only one who gets long hair that work their way out and the whole thing has to be redone?

What works well for me is to take the front pieces, pull them together at the nape so they form sort of a headband, and secure them there. You could use an elastic, mini claw clip, bobbypins, whatever works for your hair. It keeps you hair out of your face and is invisible.

I know I've seen a picture tutorial on this but I can't seem to find it.

ETA: Ha! Found it (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/how-to-wear-your-hair-down/)!

WOW that is cool! I still need something hair safe to secure it though! The other downside is that I seem to have some short non-growing hair wispies up from that barely reach my ears. I cannot seem to find a pic online of the "do" I used to do with a barrette.

http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Comfort-flex-Updo-Barrette-Colors/dp/B003XS25JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345812946&sr=8-1&keywords=goody+ouchless+flex+barrette

I found mine at Target.

THOSE I will definitely check out, thanks!

I pin my bangs back every stinkin' day--mullet disguise :bounce:-- and my hair is super slippery. Jaw clips and barrettes just slide out.

I've been doing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJQ88K2QQg
twisting and pinning back everything in front of my ears, and it holds pretty well.

I just stumbled on this today--while looking for the other video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJQ88K2QQg and it looks like it could work too.

I've used these too, but they slide out after a while-- http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair%20Accessories/Classics%20Assorted%20Snap%20Clips?colId=4941ce8c-052f-4085-84fc-6f58589347fb&c_id=1a7ea079-c44c-481e-8d02-db7cd0b32277
I had to put a dab of clear nail polish over the little hole in the end because some of those little rivets snagged and pulled out my hair, but the nail polish solved it. :)

The first two links are the same thing but still, GREAT video! I used to criss cross bobby pins like she says and they still just SLIDE OUT. I will be trying that! Problem is, I don't twist my hair at all, I like it to lay flat. I will see what I can do.

And I have bunches of those snap clips, too, and they rip my hair out. Never occurred to me to use the nail polish! DUH, I do that on my other stuff. Thanks :) But yes, they, too slide out after awhile.

I've been wearing my hair down lately more, too, but am growing out bangs. I often wear my bangs twisted back and pinned with a bobby pin. Here's a quick video (this is not me!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPf7mAgdy0I

I wonder if that is the same lady who taught me to do a waterfall braid on my dd's hair. Funny, you cannot se her twisting at all, it is like magic. LOL Securing it is still the issue and tucking it under my hair wouldn't work, it would just poke out! That's what I get for having thin super straight silky hair I guess.

I ended up wearing a barrette I already had. It lasted an hour. I fixed it twice then gave up and took it out. SIGH. It is a pretty small one like the one I linked in the OP. It is in a bun now. As always. Bleh.

ETA: Anje, I can't say I have ever seen those? I will look! A larger one would be ideal if it was coated where the rivet is.

Tapioca
August 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM

I found mine at Target.

I have these, and I love them. Very gentle on the hair. My only problem with them is that my sister-in-law keeps stealing them! :D

cooklaezo13
August 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Zindell already mentioned it, but the smallest size flexi-8 ought to do the trick
I also struggle with hair in my face when I wear my hair down, so I can sympathize. It's annoying!!!

dulce
August 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I just bought a mini antler fork from Grahtoe Studio and I do a halfup,twist my top hair in a knotted ponytail,skewer the fork through and no elastics or pins needed! Love it!You can do a half up in a bun also this way.

RapunzelKat
August 24th, 2012, 11:32 AM

I found mine at Target.

Yep, definitely check these out :) I have some too, also from Target :D They make different sizes, too. I don't use them often, but they've worked well when I did.

Also, you could try making a small bun with the top half of your hair, and securing it with mini spin pins (also available at Target :D) I have super-slippery hair, and spin pins work great. I still have to redo my bun occasionally, but not often.

spirals
August 24th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I have recently rediscovered small combs. Pins stay in my hair, but the hair itself slides and falls down with the pins in it. Combs stay where I put them. But combs are hard to find now that it's not 1984, you know? I only have them because my mom had kept them and sent them to me. But you never know where they may turn up, like a dollar store.

browneyedsusan
August 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM
oopsie!

Sorry about sending 2 identical links. *sheesh*

Here's the right one. I do the second option in the video, pinning back everything in front of my ears. It holds all day, and the pins sometimes stick out a little, but I don't care. It keeps it out of my eyes, and it's moderately presentable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C27Ze8CijL4

A teensy bit of oil or AVG helps with the slipperiness. If I put it up dry, I don't think anything would stay more than 30 seconds!

dwell_in_safety
August 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM
A nice wide, soft headband? They're quite popular now, and cheap, and they don't do damage.

MinderMutsig
August 24th, 2012, 03:26 PM
WOW that is cool! I still need something hair safe to secure it though! The other downside is that I seem to have some short non-growing hair wispies up from that barely reach my ears. I cannot seem to find a pic online of the "do" I used to do with a barrette.
Do braids slip out of your hair easily? If not you could braid it a couple of turns to secure it. Or if bobbypins work you could do the braided headband that she links to and secure that in the back with a bobbypin.

Hairizona
August 24th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I have some very nice metal hair barettes for pulling back the hair that I customized by sewing felt around the part that lies next to the hair or against the head on one and in the other I wound polyester yarn (polyester doesn't slip around and stays in place) around the same part next to the head. It tightens up the space and hair does not slip out of place.

trolleypup
August 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Possibly one of the little slides from Bronze Jewelers...I found their slides held much better than clip barrettes, and have no sharp edges...granted, I am up at the large end of their slides, but they have some very nice looking smaller ones.

AutumnLocks
August 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I am rather partial to a head band too. I have a big head along with a big head full of hair so I found some at Wal Mart that were a bit bigger and the bottom part that goes behind my hears can be adjusted so it's more comfortable. I find that if I want to wear my hair down a head band is a must to keep it out of my face. You can find many different styles and in all diferent price ranges.
I had one many years ago that was like a giant comb. You could stretch it out to go all the way around your head. It really did the job too! It made the top part look almost like tiny little braids or twists. If I use too many hair toys tho, my scalp will get pretty sore to the touch and I have to back off of them for a while.

Chimom79
August 24th, 2012, 06:56 PM
My hair isnt too thick, the very best thing to hold my bangs out of my face are the snap clips. Usually the Goody ones. They make all sizes, the smaller ones hold fine/thin hair very well. I rarely ever have my hair down. I want to badly, cause I can keep the hair outta my face, but Im a larger girl and the back of my hair, well, the hair rubs against the top of my back, since Im large, and tends to tangle up, and poof some. Drives me crazy. Just another reason I should lose weight I guess. But it sucks! Lol!

kahuna
August 24th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Being fairly new to having long hair I always struggle to keep my hair out my face (especially when it's a windy day). I'll usually wear a hairband or headband but it's not really a problem when I tie it up into a ponytail.

KwaveT
August 24th, 2012, 09:38 PM
For me personally I use those smooth hairbands. The ones with edges on underside makes me afraid they pull hair out. Then again I don't have kind of hair you do. My bands are chin to upper neck length.

lapushka
August 25th, 2012, 06:26 AM
What used to hold my fine hair in place as a kid (when it was worse than it is now) was a hair tie, and then a French barrette clipped over that, really tight. That's how my mom used to do it, and it held all day. They have really small French barrettes, you just have to look around for them a bit.

WaitingSoLong
August 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Here's the right one. I do the second option in the video, pinning back everything in front of my ears. It holds all day, and the pins sometimes stick out a little, but I don't care. It keeps it out of my eyes, and it's moderately presentable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C27Ze8CijL4

I see. My hair is too long. The length of hair hanging down from the twist just pulls the whole thing out. I still may try it, though, since I now know a different way to do the bobby pins.

Do braids slip out of your hair easily? If not you could braid it a couple of turns to secure it. Or if bobbypins work you could do the braided headband that she links to and secure that in the back with a bobbypin.

A braid is a good idea. I am going to try this this weekend, probably tomorrow I usually wear my hair down to church.

Possibly one of the little slides from Bronze Jewelers...I found their slides held much better than clip barrettes, and have no sharp edges...granted, I am up at the large end of their slides, but they have some very nice looking smaller ones.

WOW those are cool and they come really small...2.5"!

but Im a larger girl and the back of my hair, well, the hair rubs against the top of my back, since Im large, and tends to tangle up, and poof some. Drives me crazy. Just another reason I should lose weight I guess. But it sucks! Lol!

It has nothing to do with your weight (IMO). I have the same issue. I call it nape fuzz but it is often much lower than actual nape. The under-side of my ponytail or whatever just gets tangles and matted. I only wear certain types of shirts/material when I wear my hair loose to cut down on the friction for this reason. I have a leather jacket I wear, and silky type shirts.

It is SUPER annoying and starts with about BSL hair so cutting shorter really wouldn't help.

Headbands just don't work for me. I honestly don't see how people wear them. One, they hurt my head and I have tried so many different kinds I am tired of wasting $ on them, two my hair won't stay in them. It just won't. Plus, it looks terrible on me. They are just not for me I guess! Sorry! :o

Re: French barrette: If it is what came up when I googled, it is the kind of barrette I always used (and still have) before I became paranoid about hair damage. Those things hold BETTER but my hair still slips out but I lose strands due to the snagging. I don't consider them hair-friendly at all.

Thanks everyone! I have several things to try now. I just don't wear my hair down too often so it may take me a few weeks to try them all. Plus, I may have to look at Target or do some ordering (I am really liking the slides Trolleypup mentioned). I will try to take pics of the results!

What I want to do is take just the "bangs" of my hair and pull them back to the top of my head and secure them with a safe barrette of some kind. I have a widow's peak and I take the hair in the middle of it, (from one "M" point to the other- the triangular patch) pull it back and that is all the hair I secure. I cannot pull back the hair on the sides of my head because of this weird poofing thing my hair does. I will have to take a picture, I don't think I could describe it in words. It is because my undercanopy has wave and when I pull back the canopy hair, the waves POOF out and look ridiculous.

I really like the idea of making a hair-headband, especially if I can somewhat braid it to keep in the stragglies. It is just finding something to secure it underneath that will stay put. I always set my braids with my spray, it is diluted cone-free conditioner with AVG. It gives me the best braid waves the next day!

jacqueline101
August 25th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I have same problems unless I drowned myself in hair spray. I did find the jaw clip to work or the head band. In my pre lhc days the small barrettes that were metal.

WaitingSoLong
August 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM
OK, I found one of the barrettes at Target and got that. They actually had a good selection of some things and I picked up a sort of large modified bobby pin thing, too. They are sort of like these (http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair%20Accessories/Classics%20Double%20Bar%20Bobby%20Slides?colId=df9 76d93-59e1-4844-892b-19a40f22cfb0&c_id=1a7ea079-c44c-481e-8d02-db7cd0b32277) but have an oval shape on top instead of straight. They are about 2.5" long.

I haven't tried either yet.

laceyfairy
August 25th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Maybe a little flexi 8 would work?

WaitingSoLong
August 25th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Ok, bad news. Neither of the things I bought work AT ALL.

The snag-free barrette is WAY to big. Even with ALL my hair in it, it slides right out, it is not even resembling grip.

The other things are impossible to get on, when I do manage it, it looks HORRID. It makes my hair stick up? SIGH. This is why I hate my hair. NOTHING works.

browneyedsusan
August 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Ok, bad news. Neither of the things I bought work AT ALL.

The snag-free barrette is WAY to big. Even with ALL my hair in it, it slides right out, it is not even resembling grip.

The other things are impossible to get on, when I do manage it, it looks HORRID. It makes my hair stick up? SIGH. This is why I hate my hair. NOTHING works.

Oh my GOODNESS! You poor thing! Keep trying. Something has got to work! I'll bet your widow's peak is beautiful. :heart:

Ravenwind
August 25th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Sometimes I'll do a lace braid or a french rope braid (if that's what it's called) with my bangs and keep them in place with a couple bobby pins. It stays in all day.

WaitingSoLong
August 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Ok the hair head-band was a no-go, too. GRRR. I just did a braid instead today (thank goodness for my parandi).

elea
August 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
major issue here with it: hair in face is simply NOT happenning!
i have a fringe that starts at ears level: problem solved *:OD

little ladies really like a bread that just does the forehead, little twists back held by mini jaws or ...well... i stepped on a rigid head band yesterday.

Lostsoule77
August 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I'd say try snap clips as well. Mine work great to hold down my halo. I just grab all the halo hair and put the clip around that then slide it into my hair (as far as it will go) wherever I want to secure it and snap closed. The ones I have are really old apparently because they don't have that rivet that I saw on the ones online. I did see some that looked coated though which should be good.

Mine are small (1.75") so they hold a small amount of hair well. Since I anchor it with enough scalp hair to fill it it doesn't slide out. HTH

ETA: Found some for you that look more like what I have than what came up when I googled snap clips. Says they are rubberized which might help you a lot with your slip problem too. :)
http://www.folica.com/tools/hair-barrettes-bands-and-ties/bombshell-blonde-collection-rubberized-snap-clips

WaitingSoLong
August 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I'd say try snap clips as well. Mine work great to hold down my halo. I just grab all the halo hair and put the clip around that then slide it into my hair (as far as it will go) wherever I want to secure it and snap closed. The ones I have are really old apparently because they don't have that rivet that I saw on the ones online. I did see some that looked coated though which should be good.

Mine are small (1.75") so they hold a small amount of hair well. Since I anchor it with enough scalp hair to fill it it doesn't slide out. HTH

ETA: Found some for you that look more like what I have than what came up when I googled snap clips. Says they are rubberized which might help you a lot with your slip problem too. :)
http://www.folica.com/tools/hair-barrettes-bands-and-ties/bombshell-blonde-collection-rubberized-snap-clips

I will try snap clips next. I need to put some nail polish on the rivets on mine. Target had some coated ones and different sizes. You think I can return the other things I bought? I DID try them on. Anyway, I may pick some of those up. I hate spending good money after bad!

Lostsoule...have I ever told you I ADORE YOUR HAIR? Your siggypic makes me DROOL. lol

ManeSqueeze
August 26th, 2012, 08:09 PM

I found mine at Target.

I've got both sizes. If your hair is super slippery or there isn't enough for the holder, it might slip right out like mine does. They're so cute too :(

I sometimes make a small bun with the bang hair and one or two bobby pins. It'll probably be super small (mine's about the size of a half dollar), but I think it looks a little better than two bobby pins in an X or a pony the size of a #2 pencil.

Lostsoule77
August 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I will try snap clips next. I need to put some nail polish on the rivets on mine. Target had some coated ones and different sizes. You think I can return the other things I bought? I DID try them on. Anyway, I may pick some of those up. I hate spending good money after bad!

Lostsoule...have I ever told you I ADORE YOUR HAIR? Your siggypic makes me DROOL. lol
If it was Walmart they'd take them back for sure. Target I'm not sure, but probably if you have the receipt. If not they might just give you a gift card. I hate wasting money too so I get that.

No you haven't. Thank you! :D That's funny because I love your sig pic! LOL

Crazycatlady
August 26th, 2012, 08:37 PM
OK, I found one of the barrettes at Target and got that. They actually had a good selection of some things and I picked up a sort of large modified bobby pin thing, too. They are sort of like these (http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair%20Accessories/Classics%20Double%20Bar%20Bobby%20Slides?colId=df9 76d93-59e1-4844-892b-19a40f22cfb0&c_id=1a7ea079-c44c-481e-8d02-db7cd0b32277) but have an oval shape on top instead of straight. They are about 2.5" long.

I haven't tried either yet.

Wow...those bobby pins look neat, and cool colors. I'll have to pick some up. Thanks!

luxepiggy
August 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM
You need a Bendini (http://www.riteaidonlinestore.com/L-N-Scunci-Hair-Bendini/dp/B004TV4HEG?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle)! I use mine for exactly what you described - holding back the front bits of my hair when I wear it down. I think it's one of the greatest inventions ever for straight, slippy hair. Mine doesn't budge at all once I put it in, and never snags when I take it out (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/topvolume07.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/topvolume05.jpg

WaitingSoLong
August 27th, 2012, 05:47 AM
You need a Bendini (http://www.riteaidonlinestore.com/L-N-Scunci-Hair-Bendini/dp/B004TV4HEG?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle)! I use mine for exactly what you described - holding back the front bits of my hair when I wear it down. I think it's one of the greatest inventions ever for straight, slippy hair. Mine doesn't budge at all once I put it in, and never snags when I take it out (^(oo)^)v

I have seen those and don't see how they stay in? Goody has some newer type ones, too. Think THESE (http://www.goody.com/Home/Products/Hair%20Accessories/Simple%20Styles%20Fountain%20Flip.aspx)would work?

BrownEyedBeauty
September 4th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Plain old bobby pins would do the trick. They have some nice ones with beautiful jewels etc...that you could play around with. I find that they hold pretty well too.