PDA

View Full Version : Scalp problem?

Ravenwind
August 23rd, 2012, 11:31 PM
I hope I'm posting this in the right spot :)

Lately I've been getting itchy scab-like things, almost like bug bites, on the back of my head, close to the nape of my neck. I don't know if they are bug bites or maybe I have developed some kind of irritation? I haven't tried anything new on my hair/scalp and I've been sticking with my usual routine. I tried to look at it in the mirror when I first noticed it, and it looked like a bright red rump. I find this really strange because a couple more have developed in the same area. :confused:

Could these just be bug bites or possibly something more? and is there anything I can do to soothe my scalp and make them go away, like maybe an ACV rinse or something?
Thanks!

wendylai
August 23rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
Wow.. that sounds a little bit like me. I wash with Body Shop SLS-free Volumizing shampoo 3 times a week. Immidiately after washing I get this burning feeling especially in the back of my head. I recall this has been with most shampoos.

It does go away in a few hours, and I know kerastase has some scalp-liquid that soothes scalp, but it's quite expensive.

I have myself tried to put basic cream "humektan" on my scalp prior washing, this helps a little and doesnt increase my shedding as scalp oiling does..

All I can say is I feel your pain and hope someone has come up with solution.

spirals
August 23rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
Funny you should post this; just yesterday I asked my mom what the symptoms of sebborhaic dermatitis were, as I thought I might have it, and this is exactly what she described. (She has it.) Google it to find the specific areas where it turns up. I think antifungals are the standard treatment, as they think a yeast might cause it, though no one is sure.

Ravenwind
August 24th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Wow.. that sounds a little bit like me. I wash with Body Shop SLS-free Volumizing shampoo 3 times a week. Immidiately after washing I get this burning feeling especially in the back of my head. I recall this has been with most shampoos.

It does go away in a few hours, and I know kerastase has some scalp-liquid that soothes scalp, but it's quite expensive.

I have myself tried to put basic cream "humektan" on my scalp prior washing, this helps a little and doesnt increase my shedding as scalp oiling does..

All I can say is I feel your pain and hope someone has come up with solution.

Ouch that doesn't sound good. I don't have any burning sensations, it just feels like bug bites. I don't notice them until I scratch my head :D I hope you can find something to help your scalp too.

Ravenwind
August 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Funny you should post this; just yesterday I asked my mom what the symptoms of sebborhaic dermatitis were, as I thought I might have it, and this is exactly what she described. (She has it.) Google it to find the specific areas where it turns up. I think antifungals are the standard treatment, as they think a yeast might cause it, though no one is sure.

Wow that's really strange. I wonder if that could be it and what might have caused it.

akilina
August 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I wonder if it could be some kind of breakout of blemishes??
Sometimes I get zits on the underneath of my hair. They suck. I usually get them if I go too long without washing, or do too much oiling too many days in a row.

Ravenwind
August 24th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I wonder if it could be some kind of breakout of blemishes??
Sometimes I get zits on the underneath of my hair. They suck. I usually get them if I go too long without washing, or do too much oiling too many days in a row.

I would get those too. Like a pimple that decided to pop up on my scalp >.< lol. However they aren't itchy, and what I have is itchy :\

DinaAG
August 24th, 2012, 02:05 PM
may be you developed an allergy to a product you are using? can you make someone check your scalp carefully?

Ravenwind
August 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM
may be you developed an allergy to a product you are using? can you make someone check your scalp carefully?

All I use is my shampoo and conditioner that I've had for a few months and I haven't had any problems. But who knows. I could probably have someone check it for me :)

sarelis
August 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I really hope I'm not causing you offense by suggesting this, but you likened the irritation to bug bites several times, is there any chance you could have picked up lice from younger family members or other children you come into close contact with? Only whenever I have had to teat the kids or indeed caught them myself the focus of the irritation seems to be the nape of the neck & behind the ears. I'm only saying it as that is what rang a bell with me! :)

Charybdis
August 24th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Sounds like seborrheic dermatitis (SD). Shampoo with coal tar in it (like Neutrogena T-Gel) does a good job calming my SD down. I think some other people on these boards have had good luck with Selsun Blue. Also, some folks find that their SD is made worse or better by sulfate-containing shampoos, so you might consider experimenting with a shampoo that has no sulfates (assuming your current shampoo does).

Good luck! :flower:

Ravenwind
August 24th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I really hope I'm not causing you offense by suggesting this, but you likened the irritation to bug bites several times, is there any chance you could have picked up lice from younger family members or other children you come into close contact with? Only whenever I have had to teat the kids or indeed caught them myself the focus of the irritation seems to be the nape of the neck & behind the ears. I'm only saying it as that is what rang a bell with me! :)

No offense taken :) I did have lice when I was little, but I haven't been around any children.