PDA

View Full Version : What will make my hair grow fast

Tania
August 23rd, 2012, 08:44 PM
I have shoulder length hair. I either like my hair long past my bra line in the back or short like a bob so I hate the length it's at now. Any ideas on how I can grow my hair faster and thicken it up at the same time.

Madora
August 23rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
There is nothing you can do to thicken your hair unless you let it grow to a longer length so all the short hairs can grow longer. You can achieve the illusion of thicker hair with henna (or so I've heard).

You can also keep your hemline blunt cut, which gives the illusion of thicker hair too.

Hair only grows as fast as nature intends. You can help your hair grow faster by:

1) eating healthy
2) avoiding harmful things like blow fryers, hot curlers, hot irons,
chemicals and bleach
3) wearing your hair up will help protect the delicate ends
4) invest in a silk or satin pillowcase cover to protect the ends at night
5) Trim it every 3 or 4 months
6) Do S and D (Search and Destroy) regularly. Be sure your scissors are SHARP. Dull shears will only create more white dots.
7) Daily scalp massage will help will vital circulation through your hair follicles
8) Don't wash the life out of your hair. Only wash it when it needs it!
9) Use hair friendly clips and elastics and don't pull your hair back tightly.
10) Avoid ponytails!
11) Learn how to braid if you don't know already.
12) Detangle your hair with a wide tooth COMB
13) Never, ever, brush your hair when it is wet! Hair is weakest when it is wet.
14) Have patience! On average, hair grows 6 inches a year. Some grow faster, some not.
15) "Less is more"...a clean, healthy scalp cannot be emphasized too much.

Good luck!

Tania
August 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks Madora. I'm going to def keep all that in mind.

Arakazi
August 23rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
There is nothing you can do to thicken your hair unless you let it grow to a longer length so all the short hairs can grow longer. You can achieve the illusion of thicker hair with henna (or so I've heard).

You can also keep your hemline blunt cut, which gives the illusion of thicker hair too.

Hair only grows as fast as nature intends. You can help your hair grow faster by:

1) eating healthy
chemicals and bleach
6) Do S and D (Search and Destroy) regularly. Be sure your scissors are SHARP. Dull shears will only create more white dots.
7) Daily scalp massage will help will vital circulation through your hair follicles
10) Avoid ponytails!
13) Never, ever, brush your hair when it is wet! Hair is weakest when it is wet.
14) Have patience! On average, hair grows 6 inches a year. Some grow faster, some not.

Good luck!

Love this advice! :D

LuXious
August 23rd, 2012, 09:44 PM
Shapley's MTG oil or any sulfur oil. I love it. Well, I love the effectiveness, not really the smell or the greasiness. Use very, very sparingly. I'm doing it for the next 30 days to get through this awkward messed up bob. Then there's hair, skin and nails vitamins. Also, diatomaceous earth FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION-- there are two different kinds. One is good for your health. One will kill you. The silica in it seems to make hair and nails grow faster, according to some others on here and my own experience. Plus all that wonderful advice above mine. Hair is programmed by your DNA to only grow so fast, but I swear Shapley's and DE have doubled my growth when used consistently. If it didn't, I probably wouldn't have cut my hair so many times, thinking, "Well, I can always grow it back really fast." Fast, but not fast enough.

Asprettyasme
August 23rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Tania
August 23rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
Awesome. Thank you. I'm gonna buy some biotin tomorrow.

Rufflebutt
August 23rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
Honestly, I don't recommend biotin at all. Yes, it is a water soluble vitamin so it's hard to really "overdose". But the repeated use can put strain on the kidneys and liver.
Taking biotin probably wouldn't help anyways. Your body most likely already produces enough of it and your body will simply filter away any more biotin that you put in simply because it doesn't use it. You're basically buying expensive piss.

Not to mention, the cystic acne and nausea that can come with a biotin overload in your body.

Tania
August 23rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Ughhhh. Ok what would you recommend.

Tania
August 23rd, 2012, 10:17 PM
I'm desperate

Rufflebutt
August 23rd, 2012, 10:20 PM
There's nothing to really speed up your growth. Some people swear by monistat, some people swear by biotin. I really think that both are a load of poo.

However, it helps to be as healthy as possible so that you body can use more resources to grow healthy hair. If you live in the US, you could possibly buy some fish oil supplements to help get those omega-3 fatty acids that 90% of America severely lacks. It's really important especially if you're female! It helps those lady bits stay in working order. ;) And stores more fat around your buttocks and thighs making you look curvy and delicious. Not to mention it prevents heart disease, stroke, and brain-related diseases such as dementia and Alzheimer's.

I personally use a multivitamin because my current diet isn't the healthiest. I've love to eat healthier, but right now I don't have access to many options. :C I know using a multivitamin won't make up for my diet, but I figure it will help me get at least a little bit a nutrients that my diet isn't giving me right now.

petali
August 23rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
Patience! Just put it in a braid/undo everyday, and within a month or two, you'll notice the difference :)

Ravenwind
August 23rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
I have been taking Hair, Skin & Nails supplements and I have noticed faster growth. I did with Biotin alone as well, and I never had any problems. It differs for each person though.

Asprettyasme
August 23rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Asprettyasme
August 23rd, 2012, 11:34 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

katfemme89
August 23rd, 2012, 11:47 PM
People swear by monistat and biotin because it does work for them. Just because it did not work for you does not mean they do not work in general. Fishoil is still a pill just like biotin and will still cause strain to the kidney so I don't see whats the difference. I think she should take them both and MSM for the best results for her hair.

Fish oil actually helps clean the kidneys. Fish oil has caused a drastic improvement in my health. I have degenerative disk disease in my lower back (very rare for a young person but alas, I have it) and now i rarely, if ever have an ache in my back or knees. My hair and skin have also improved from fish oil and folic acid.

I took biotin for a while and noticed an improvement in my skin for several months, and then my acne actually came back and got worse. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't work awesomely for other people.

But I agree with you, different things work for different people. Only way someone can figure out what works for them is to try all different things.

But I really don't think anyone can go wrong with fish oil.

Rufflebutt
August 23rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Well I know when I took biotin (I have been taking it for a year) people will tell you your wasting your time and your body doesn't need it but I had really bad acne and scars everywhere on my face and chest and nothing would clear it up and biotin has cleared up my skin drastically. Your body is using the biotin. You don't have to take it forever (taking it for long periods of time is what cause strain to the kidney) you can just take it for a little while then stop once you reach your hair goal length. The reason why I still take it is because I don't care about the whole kidney debacle, I am a very positive person and I feel my kidneys will be fine. But if your worried about it then take it for a little while and then stop. But MSM is also good. It makes your growing stage last longer and it stops you from shedding. I recommend that as well and many people on this site recommend it. Matter of fact, many people on this forum take pills too. I can send you a link to some of those threads if you want, so you can see all the pills women on this site takes. Maybe that will help you.
Whatever results you see are most likely either placebo affects or you subconsciously attributing your hair's health to the biotin you've been taking. Even though it's most likely not the case.
I'm not trying to insult you in any way. It's just that the body already produces a surplus of the vitamin and any more of it is just going to get put straight into your pee. It doesn't do a thing, it's a marketing ploy.

If you are really sure that your kidney's can take the damage, go ahead. It's your body. But I doubt you are trained medical official that can determine so.

Rufflebutt
August 23rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
People swear by monistat and biotin because it does work for them. Just because it did not work for you does not mean they do not work in general. Fishoil is still a pill just like biotin and will still cause strain to the kidney so I don't see whats the difference. I think she should take them both and MSM for the best results for her hair. Fish oil won't put strain on your kidneys because you body doesn't just pee it out. It's not water-soluble for one, and your body actually has use for the nutrients in fish oil.

I've never tried either biotin or monistat. I don't believe rubbing vagina cream on my scalp or taking a vitamin that my body doesn't need more of will be beneficial to my health in any way. Or my hair for that matter.
Even if biotin did work, the health risks aren't even worth it. At least with fish oil, if it doesn't affect your hair you're still doing a lot of good to your body by taking it. Omega-3 fatty acids are not synthesized in the human body like biotin is. That's why we need to ingest it, where ingesting biotin is usually harmful. Yes, you can overdose on vitamins. And just because biotin's affects are ones that aren't noticed over time doesn't mean anything. I think it's much more harmful than just letting your hair grow natural.

katfemme89
August 24th, 2012, 12:03 AM
...I don't believe rubbing vagina cream on my scalp...

LLLLLOOOOLLLL!!!!! BAHAHAHAHA! You so went there, saying what I've been too afraid to for so long...

But in all seriousness, ...no nevermind I can't be serious after that comment hahahaha!

Asprettyasme
August 24th, 2012, 02:25 AM
#error

#An error occurred.

salisem
August 24th, 2012, 07:19 AM
There is also a thread here about using castor oil for hair growth. Seems like some people have had good results with it.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265

Rufflebutt
August 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Thank you for that information.

LOL. You should hear some of the things they say on the actually thread,, I really can't keep a straight face while reading it. Haha Hilarious!

I have research biotin for a very long time and never read anything bad about it. ALOT of people praise what it does for hair,body,and nails. Its in a lot of supplements for a reason. People take loads of medicine all the time for different reasons with out kidney failure. I mean she hasn't even taken them yet and your already trying to say its going to be the death of her. She ask for this information and I am just trying to give her a clear cut answer to what she ask for. 9 out of 10 she probably really don't want to hear the "be patient" speech.

OP I take biotin, MSM, fishoil, b6, folic acid, prenatal vitamins, and niacin. Its the same exact pills in most hair,nails and skin supplements. If you want like the girl said you can buy one of those supplements. Other pills I heard was good was primrose, silica/horsetails and flaxseed. Some people on this forum swear by those. So I guess they are good, I don't know. Have not tried them yet. I would not do silica because I heard it had a trace of nicotine in them.

Um, I have heard of tea tree oils that help with hair growth and some people swear by mega tek for inch growth in a month as well. Its something for horses. But people swear by it on this forum. So you can try that if you don't want to try monistat.
Never read anything bad about? Really? If you researched biotin as thoroughly as you say then you would know about it's detractors. You know that for both biotin AND monistat, that there is no scientific evidence that either are effective. In fact, in studies for both they have shown that they have no affect at all.

Not only that, but you would know which vitamins are synthesized by the human body and which aren't. Which are water soluble, which aren't. ect.

Rufflebutt
August 24th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I would also like to add that she may not WANT to hear the be patient speech, but that's really what you have to do. It's really the truth. You can live as healthy as you can, but it's really hard to boost your hair growth without altering your DNA. I'm not going to tell her there's some magical miracle drug when there isn't.

Simone_Fatale
August 24th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I agree that most of the supplement pills won't make your hair grow faster (except in cases of severe malnutrition) but it will make hair grow healthier and stronger. I think it's important not to use biotin or similar individual vitamins on your own but find a balanced B complex vitamin supplement which contains biotin, niacin, folic acid and other vitamins needed for healthy hair growth in suggested, balanced daily doses. Overloading your body with chemistry will do more harm than good, and it will only be a strain to your budget.

Also, oiling your ends really helps to prevent breakage and dryness, which gives the illusion of faster growth. Not all oils work for everybody, take your time and read the threads here on the forum so you can find out what works for people with your hair type and try it out. Good luck, and happy growing! :)

Madora
August 24th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I would also like to add that she may not WANT to hear the be patient speech, but that's really what you have to do. It's really the truth. You can live as healthy as you can, but it's really hard to boost your hair growth without altering your DNA. I'm not going to tell her there's some magical miracle drug when there isn't.

Well said, Rufflebutt.

The hardest aspect in growing long, healthy, beautiful hair is patience!

If you're going to use supplements, chose wisely and don't go nuts thinking this or that pill will help grow your hair faster - or thicker - or whatever.

Wanting long hair is fine...but be cautious on what you take. If you're really committed to growing long hair, run your supplement list by your doctor and make sure you're not taking too much of something you shouldn't.

Perididdle
August 24th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I've not used biotin myself, but I will say I've seen it work *magic* on horses -- their feet (basically, their nails) grow out thick, strong, and, in some cases, faster than without it. Their coats also tend to benefit from it, as well. I would be totally unsurprised to hear it did good things for humans, especially in the nail department. It won't do a lick for what's already there, but it should at the very least augment and strengthen the new growth, though may not pump it out of your head any faster. I'd be interested to see studies either way.

Do be warned that some have mentioned they also experienced growth in their other hair -- arms, cheeks, eyebrows, etc. That's why I'm not interested in trying it, because I've already got enough trouble reining in those areas.

Tania
August 24th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Lol yes I don't want hair any where else except my head. I think I'm going to stick with taking a woman's one a day multivitamin and fish oil. I also bout some castor oil so I'm going too see if that will help with the itching and burning. I have a very sensitive system so I do wanna do everything safely. Ladies all of you who have posted have been amazing. I still want to hear opinions. ����

Nae
August 24th, 2012, 07:56 AM
There is nothing that is going to make your hair grow really fast. Madora's advice is about as good as it gets. You just have to be patient. It will grow.

neko_kawaii
August 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Forget about it.

Find a routine that is gentle on your hair (re Madora's suggestions) fits in your lifestyle and then stop thinking about it. One day you will blink and it will be the length you are looking for.

CarpeDM
August 24th, 2012, 08:36 AM
There is nothing that is going to make your hair grow really fast. Madora's advice is about as good as it gets. You just have to be patient. It will grow.

Strongly agree!

jextxadore
August 24th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Just from feeling, I think that hair sticks, done correctly, are far less damaging than ponytails. Unfortunately it's all too easy to make the bun too tight, especially if your hair's sort of APL like mine is.

When detangling, detangle the ends first then work up to the roots, else you just get a massive knot building up at the ends…which of course leads to some hair falling out.

Be careful when carrying bags on your shoulder than the straps don't squash your hair.

Don't use chemicals (I have far less hair loss using BS/tea than S&C).

twoLs118
August 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM
grape seed extract!! you can find it in any drug store or vitamin shop!

browneyedsusan
August 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM

Amen. Madora and the others are spot on. Just cool your heels and wait. Time grows hair.

Bunnysaur
August 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Well I know when I took biotin (I have been taking it for a year) people will tell you your wasting your time and your body doesn't need it but I had really bad acne and scars everywhere on my face and chest and nothing would clear it up and biotin has cleared up my skin drastically. Your body is using the biotin. You don't have to take it forever (taking it for long periods of time is what cause strain to the kidney) you can just take it for a little while then stop once you reach your hair goal length. The reason why I still take it is because I don't care about the whole kidney debacle, I am a very positive person and I feel my kidneys will be fine. But if your worried about it then take it for a little while and then stop. But MSM is also good. It makes your growing stage last longer and it stops you from shedding. I recommend that as well and many people on this site recommend it. Matter of fact, many people on this forum take pills too. I can send you a link to some of those threads if you want, so you can see all the pills women on this site takes. Maybe that will help you.

Ummm, to each their own I guess, but you must be really committed to "faster" growing hair to sacrifice your kidneys for it :shrug: Just sayin', positivity won't buy you new ones.

Lol yes I don't want hair any where else except my head. I think I'm going to stick with taking a woman's one a day multivitamin and fish oil. I also bout some castor oil so I'm going too see if that will help with the itching and burning. I have a very sensitive system so I do wanna do everything safely. Ladies all of you who have posted have been amazing. I still want to hear opinions. ����

Wait, what?! Do you have a scalp issue or something? I feel like you left out a very important bit of information...
I've taken biotin before, and I can honestly say that I got an inch a month.
...Howeeeeeeeeeeever, I've gone from a pixie cut to just past APL in a year, and I only took the biotin for about a month. At the time, I attributed the growth to the biotin, but in retrospect, it was just my normal growth. I would recommend that you track your growth photographically for at least a couple months before trying anything, that way you don't start up biotin, get an inch a month, proclaim that it's God's gift to the world and damage your damage your kidneys, when really you would have gotten that growth anyway (not insulting anyone, I'm just making a general statement ;)).

One thing I have tried that really did give me faster growth was rooibos tea. There's an entire thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71576) on it. I sprayed it on my scalp every morning when I got up, and I got about 1.75" that month. The caveat here is that I started shedding kittens during this time, but that may have been due to using conditioner, which my scalp doesn't like. I'm thinking about starting the experiment again, and seeing if I don't get the growth I was getting before and if the conditioner was really the culprit.

jojo
August 24th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Honestly, I don't recommend biotin at all. Yes, it is a water soluble vitamin so it's hard to really "overdose". But the repeated use can put strain on the kidneys and liver.
Taking biotin probably wouldn't help anyways. Your body most likely already produces enough of it and your body will simply filter away any more biotin that you put in simply because it doesn't use it. You're basically buying expensive piss.

Not to mention, the cystic acne and nausea that can come with a biotin overload in your body.

Agree! I was one who went into mild renal failure and was quite ill from it, so I always advocate against its usage for hair growth. A healthy diet, keeping hydrated, good quality sleep and a pinch of patience are my recommendations!

jojo
August 24th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Well you should be as a specialist renal nurse I've seen the inpact renal failure has on people's day to day life, it kills people period! Do you really think getting your hair longer, faster is worth this? Being positive is all fine and well but you are playing Russian roulette with your life if you think it won't happen to you, it might not but you do not know the effect it is having on your organs , be careful!

renia22
August 24th, 2012, 11:14 AM
It's so true, you have to be so careful. Even fish oil can contain contaminants or the treatment process to remove them can leave much to be desired:
http://apps.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=16536

Tania
August 24th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Yes my scalp has been itchy and with a slight burning. I heard castor oil is a natural anti fugal oil and would help with that. I don't have insurance or else I woulda ran to the doctor already.

Tigermama
August 24th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Tania, as far as having an itchy scalp, have you tried an ACV rinse? It is apple cider vinegar in a dilute solution poured on your scalp as a final rinse. Usually about a teaspoon in a quart of water does the job. I got relief immediately from itching and it was gone completely after a few uses.

Tania
August 24th, 2012, 12:09 PM
No I haven't tried acv yet. Do I rinse it out or just leave it in.

Bunnysaur
August 24th, 2012, 01:06 PM
No I haven't tried acv yet. Do I rinse it out or just leave it in.

When I use it, I just rinse my hair with it after showering, you don't need to rinse it out if you don't want to. If you don't, the smell goes away after your hair dries anyway, so you don't necessarily need to rinse it out.
I have a fairly itchy scalp as well, and I use a base of olive, coconut, or avocado oil mixed with some neem oil, and a few drops (too much will make it worse) or tea tree oil. Tea tree is anti-fungal, as is lavender oil, and I want to say rosemary oil is too, but I'm not 100% clear on that one. My mix has helped with itching and dandruff.

vanillabones
August 24th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Nothing I do makes my hair actually grow FASTER, my hair simply doesn't grow very fast... I think monistat did help though, I might be picking that back up.

renia22
August 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I've never tried either biotin or monistat. I don't believe rubbing vagina cream on my scalp or taking a vitamin that my body doesn't need more of will be beneficial to my health in any way. Or my hair for that matter.

lol this is funny. Although in desperation, I'd probably put whale sperm on my scalp if I thought it would help (and go get it myself!) Ha! The things we do in desperation!

But seriously, Tania, I do think stopping whatever you are currently using to see if that's is what is causing the burning & itching is a good first step. But if you decide to try something topical, it might be a wise to try one recommendation at a time, and to do a patch test first to make sure you aren't going to have a reaction to it, especially since you are saying you don't have insurance & going to the doctor is not an option.

Asprettyasme
August 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

CharleaMurphy
August 24th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I haven't experienced any side effects of biotin, but there are a few people who get nasty acne from it.

Other people swear by monistat, castor oil, prenatal vitamins, scalp massages :)

dwell_in_safety
August 24th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I don't think Biotin necessarily makes hair grow any faster, but it can replace hair that has been lost.

My girlfriend currently has i hair thickness after having iii thickness for most of her life. She shed the rest of her hair after being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as a senior in high school (she is 21 at this time). When she was going through the shed, her doctor informed her that hair loss is a common reaction when the body is subjected to an autoimmune disorder and told her that taking Biotin would be a safe way to gain some thickness back because it was causing her even more stress. She took it briefly (3 months) both then and within the past three years, when I knew her. She had baby hair growing all over her head, new growth, fly-aways everywhere, that she didn't have before. She didn't have the money to buy more Biotin when it ran out the last time, so she didn't, and all that new growth shed once more, but now we're financially stable again and she's been taking it for about two weeks. Not long enough to see new growth, but I am certain that it is there. That is not a placebo effect and is objectively observable.

battles
August 24th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'm another one that recommends patience. ;)

Nothing I tried actually increased my overall growth, and it just turned out to be a waste of time and money. Focus on taking good care of your hair so that it grows in healthy, rather than obsessing over making it grow faster. It's probably not going to.

palaeoqueen
August 25th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Well I'm not going to try and convince anyone. You can't put anything in your body or do anything without a positive mind because then everything will have a negative affect on you. My family has never suffered from dieases or organ failure or anything like that, and we live very long, fullfilling lives. Its not because of our DNA its because we don't focus on the negative. If you keep thinking your going to get kidney failure then DAMN, YES your going to get kidney failure, congratulations but I know I won't and I don't care what nobody says. Thats why I don't like talking about certain things out loud because people always got something negative to say about everything. OP Don't even do it if your going to think negative about it. Just don't.

No. It doesn't work like this and it's actually quite insulting to people who do get ill to suggest that if only they'd "been more positive" they wouldn't have suffered with cancer, renal failure, whatever.

pink.sara
August 25th, 2012, 04:16 AM
No. It doesn't work like this and it's actually quite insulting to people who do get ill to suggest that if only they'd "been more positive" they wouldn't have suffered with cancer, renal failure, whatever.

This ^ seriously?! @ asprettyasme So if my mother had thought more positively she wouldn't have cancer? My father wouldn't have heart disease? I wouldn't be a coeliac with PCOS?

Maybe if I think really positively next time I have a big fat bowl of pasta it won't make me ill for a fortnight :rolleyes:

Seriously OP. Listen to Madora.

Healthy humans grow hair. Simple as that, try a multivitamin, maybe some oils and scalp massage, rooiboos tea that kind of thing, but be careful with anything in large doses. Patience will work. I grow slowly but in just over 2 years have grown from a ruined short bob to BSL. You could too.

Personally biotin made my skin (never before in my life had spots) break out in tiny painful blister like spots all over my face and back. My hair didn't grow any thicker or faster but my nails doubled their growth, I stopped after 3 months, the spots gradually went away and that new nail growth peeled and split for the next 6 months. Not worth it.

RubySlippers
August 25th, 2012, 04:33 AM

I agree. I'm not denying the power of the mind, but to be so simplistic about it is positivly insulting to those who are battling illness.

Mischamiu
August 25th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Being healthy and not doing too much crazy stuff to your hair, so patience :blossom:

Anapeli
August 25th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Well I'm not going to try and convince anyone. You can't put anything in your body or do anything without a positive mind because then everything will have a negative affect on you. My family has never suffered from dieases or organ failure or anything like that, and we live very long, fullfilling lives. Its not because of our DNA its because we don't focus on the negative. If you keep thinking your going to get kidney failure then DAMN, YES your going to get kidney failure, congratulations but I know I won't and I don't care what nobody says. Thats why I don't like talking about certain things out loud because people always got something negative to say about everything. OP Don't even do it if your going to think negative about it. Just don't.

Sorry, young lady, but you are not correct. Disease is part of this world. Our bodies begin to die the moment we are born. DNA, environment and yes, nutrition play the most significant role in your health. That said, all the positive thinking in the world will NOT prevent disease or cure it. All the posititive thinking in the world won't make you rich or taller or prettier or anything. The purpose of positive thinking is to OVERCOME when bad things happen. To be a testimony in survival and perseverance. To help those who will face the same things you did with courage. That is positive thinking. In the end, you will die of a disease no matter what you think. Better to live reality and deal with your situation head on. My son had cancer when he was 1. I breast fed him, loved him, prayed over him before he was even sick. Was he having negative thought? The 2 year old, 5 year old, 15 year old and 9 year old that died from the same disease he had, whose parents would also pray and care for and love with all their hearts, we're they negative? We all have a destiny. Crap happens. What are you gonna do with it Is what matters. Personally, I let Christ deal with it and fight on! You have no idea how hard it is to just "think positive" that isn't reality. Sometimes i would think "my son is gonna die" but I couldn't help it. It was a great reality that I couldn't ignore. So, yes. Think positive but realistic. You're sick, find that light inthe darkness it's there. And even if the darkness carries you away, hold on to your light because noone and nothing can take that away. Even death.

Btw, my son is now 11 and has been cancer free for 8 years. Not my doing, but God's will in His life and medical advancements

jacqueline101
August 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I agree with Madora plus I use Monistat.

chrissy-b
August 25th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Sorry, young lady, but you are not correct. Disease is part of this world. Our bodies begin to die the moment we are born. DNA, environment and yes, nutrition play the most significant role in your health. That said, all the positive thinking in the world will NOT prevent disease or cure it. All the posititive thinking in the world won't make you rich or taller or prettier or anything. The purpose of positive thinking is to OVERCOME when bad things happen. To be a testimony in survival and perseverance. To help those who will face the same things you did with courage. That is positive thinking. In the end, you will die of a disease no matter what you think. Better to live reality and deal with your situation head on. My son had cancer when he was 1. I breast fed him, loved him, prayed over him before he was even sick. Was he having negative thought? The 2 year old, 5 year old, 15 year old and 9 year old that died from the same disease he had, whose parents would also pray and care for and love with all their hearts, we're they negative? We all have a destiny. Crap happens. What are you gonna do with it Is what matters. Personally, I let Christ deal with it and fight on! You have no idea how hard it is to just "think positive" that isn't reality. Sometimes i would think "my son is gonna die" but I couldn't help it. It was a great reality that I couldn't ignore. So, yes. Think positive but realistic. You're sick, find that light inthe darkness it's there. And even if the darkness carries you away, hold on to your light because noone and nothing can take that away. Even death.

Btw, my son is now 11 and has been cancer free for 8 years. Not my doing, but God's will in His life and medical advancements

I think it's hilarious that it's okay for you (and everyone else on this thread) to tell Asprettyasme that she is wrong in her beliefs and tell her that thinking positive isn't reality. But you can say freely that you let God take over. God isn't reality. We have no proof that he/she exists. We have faith. We positively hope and pray (positive thinking) that something outside of ourselves will help us through. It's okay for you to have your belief that God will help but it's not okay for Asprettyasme to believe that positive thinking will help her and her family?

We all have different beliefs. Maybe we should let Asprettyasme have hers too.

OP -- monistat worked for me. So does a healthy diet and exercise. If you have a healthy body, your hair will grow. Take care of the ends and wear it up as much as possible.

palaeoqueen
August 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I think it's hilarious that it's okay for you (and everyone else on this thread) to tell Asprettyasme that she is wrong in her beliefs and tell her that thinking positive isn't reality. But you can say freely that you let God take over. God isn't reality. We have no proof that he/she exists. We have faith. We positively hope and pray (positive thinking) that something outside of ourselves will help us through. It's okay for you to have your belief that God will help but it's not okay for Asprettyasme to believe that positive thinking will help her and her family?

OP -- monistat worked for me. So does a healthy diet and exercise. If you have a healthy body, your hair will grow. Take care of the ends and wear it up as much as possible.

I'm not religious, I'm an atheist, Asprettyasme is still wrong. She wasn't just talking about positive thinking, she quite clearly said that she "knows" she won't get kidney failure simply because she doesn't think she will do. Not only is it medically inaccurate it's also vastly disrespectful towards people who do get ill. To say that my mother wouldn't have got cancer if only she'd "believed she wouldn't" is incredibly thoughtless, insensitive and just plain wrong.

I'm out now anyway. I always try to be polite and kind but I can't let those sorts of comments go unchecked.

pink.sara
August 25th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I'm not religious, I'm an atheist, Asprettyasme is still wrong. She wasn't just talking about positive thinking, she quite clearly said that she "knows" she won't get kidney failure simply because she doesn't think she will do. Not only is it medically inaccurate it's also vastly disrespectful towards people who do get ill. To say that my mother wouldn't have got cancer if only she'd "believed she wouldn't" is incredibly thoughtless, insensitive and just plain wrong.

I'm out now anyway. I always try to be polite and kind but I can't let those sorts of comments go unchecked.

Was just in the middle of writing a very similar response.

Would have added an "amen" to that but I'm also an atheist.

Anapeli
August 25th, 2012, 10:04 AM

I do let God take over but if you would have read my thread it clearly states that i fight on. If you ever seen a fight you know that there is action, not sedentary but forward moving. You take action. You can believe what ever you want but you can be wrong in your belief. And asprettyasme is wrong. People can believe that they live on the moon but they would be wrong. That is reality. Even When it comes to God. Either there is a god or there isnt but one of those beliefs are wrong. Plus you say God is not reality but you hope and believe and pray.. To what and why? I totally respect everyone's belief but not everyone is right. Truth is one. That is where choices come and we all have that choice. But again, there can only be one truth. I believe that I am 100% right but I can't prove it 100% because faith takes that leap. Atheisim is the same. There is a leap of faith to say there is no God cause you can't prove that either. Too big of a universe out there. When we die either my faith was right or another faith but somebody will be wrong.
Anyway, no disrespect to anyone but being truthful can disrespectful to some.

Anapeli
August 25th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Btw, my hair grows faster before my menstrual cycle. Henna has helped my hair grow well but not sure if faster or just healthier so no breakage. I'd try biotin

ravenreed
August 25th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Um, really? Positive thoughts? REALLY? My mom is the most positive person I know and has had three life threatening illnesses in her life. One is a kidney disease that is progressive and will probably kill her. *sigh*

Eatting healthy is good yes, but if you already do that and your body still doesn't produce hair then what? My granny eats healthy, I mean she eats everything. I admire her eatting skills LOL. Her hair was falling out and wasn't growing at all. She didn't know what to do and one day she bought some biotin and her hair is doing amazing! Its growing out. Literally for the last few years her hair was getting shorter and shorter and she barely had hair and now she has loads of hair. Her hair is doing amazing and its the biotin.

It takes a while for the biotin to kick in so it won't just produce loads of hair in one week, it takes a few weeks, sometimes months for some people. Thats why I had recommended monistat and mega tek because it sounded like you wanted it now. I don't think the hundreds of women who swear by it are liars. they have proof with pictures and measurements and video's. It can't be all in their mind if they know their hair was shoulder length and now its BSL in less then a few weeks. How is that all in your mind? That is what you call proof that it works. But I will not try and convince anyone that it works. I don't care whether it works for ashley, or jennifer, or tiffany, as long as it works for me. Thats all you should care about as well OP. Figure out what works for you and what you are most comfortable doing. If your not comfortable with the pills then don't do it. I am just letting you know that that option is out there.

Bunnysaur
August 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Um, really? Positive thoughts? REALLY? My mom is the most positive person I know and has had three life threatening illnesses in her life. One is a kidney disease that is progressive and will probably kill her. *sigh*

Thank you both for saying this, I was going to say something to this extent, but much blunter and angrier. I lost my best friend to brain cancer at 15, and I never heard a negative thing out of anyone's mouth.
I honestly would hurt someone who told me that she should have been more positive, prayed more (there was no shortage of that) etc. My aunt tried to tell me that her family should have trusted God more about it, and that if they had she'd still be alive. My dad had to hold me back from hitting her.
You can't naively assume that just because you "think positive" you won't get ill. It's disrespectful, wrong, and just plain irresponsible.

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Q: What will make hair grow faster?
A: PATIENCE.

:)

Nae
August 26th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Sadly, Asprettyasme will be proven wrong with time. Nothing we can say will be anywhere near as convincing as what life will hand her, what life hands all of us, positive thinking or not. I have seen similar "invincible" thinking among many young people, it fades.

ETA: It is really sad too, I don't wish anyone to discover the cruelties of this world. I wish we could all live forever and never know pain or loss.

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Thank you both for saying this, I was going to say something to this extent, but much blunter and angrier. I lost my best friend to brain cancer at 15, and I never heard a negative thing out of anyone's mouth.
I honestly would hurt someone who told me that she should have been more positive, prayed more (there was no shortage of that) etc. My aunt tried to tell me that her family should have trusted God more about it, and that if they had she'd still be alive. My dad had to hold me back from attacking her.
You can't naively assume that just because you "think positive" you won't get ill. It's disrespectful, wrong, and just plain irresponsible.
*Here let me chain smoke a pack of cigarettes a day for 10 years and "think positively" about it so they wont effect me one bit! Or maybe, I will leave it up to god!:cool:*

I do agree with the law of attraction and positive thinking, but there are fine lines. Even though I think positively and try to attract good energy to my hair growing....it does not grow faster. I do not leave anything up to "god" because I am not religious at all. I don't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I am the god of my own world.
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. That is horrible to imagine going thru- especially at a young, impressionable age.

Hm anyway! I don't believe in anything really making your hair grow fast. I fell off the monistat wagon, but never saw anything happen in a month of using it.
I like to use Castor oil mixed with a carrier oil, and EOs.
You can take all the vitamins you want but I don't think they make anything grow faster, just healthier. This again, is personal experience. Someone else might notice a ton of growth when they take vitamins. Not I.
The best you can do is grow your hair from the inside out though, IMHO.

Bunnysaur
August 26th, 2012, 06:05 PM
*Here let me chain smoke a pack of cigarettes a day for 10 years and "think positively" about it so they wont effect me one bit! Or maybe, I will leave it up to god!:cool:*

I do agree with the law of attraction and positive thinking, but there are fine lines. Even though I think positively and try to attract good energy to my hair growing....it does not grow faster. I do not leave anything up to "god" because I am not religious at all. I don't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I am the god of my own world.
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. That is horrible to imagine going thru- especially at a young, impressionable age.

Hm anyway! I don't believe in anything really making your hair grow fast. I fell off the monistat wagon, but never saw anything happen in a month of using it.
I like to use Castor oil mixed with a carrier oil, and EOs.
You can take all the vitamins you want but I don't think they make anything grow faster, just healthier. This again, is personal experience. Someone else might notice a ton of growth when they take vitamins. Not I.
The best you can do is grow your hair from the inside out though, IMHO.

I love the sentiment I bolded.
:flower:
I think when people see growth when they start taking vitamins, it's either because they just joined LHC and didn't know they had an inch a month anyway until starting the biotin, or they had a fairly unhealthy diet and weren't getting all the things their hair needed to grow properly, and it got them up to a normal rate.

StephanieP3
August 26th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I really want to get back into my vitamin regimen. I also need to start eating healthier! My hair grows quite fast but I want it to be healthy too.

jeanniet
August 26th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Eatting healthy is good yes, but if you already do that and your body still doesn't produce hair then what? My granny eats healthy, I mean she eats everything. I admire her eatting skills LOL. Her hair was falling out and wasn't growing at all. She didn't know what to do and one day she bought some biotin and her hair is doing amazing! Its growing out. Literally for the last few years her hair was getting shorter and shorter and she barely had hair and now she has loads of hair. Her hair is doing amazing and its the biotin.

It takes a while for the biotin to kick in so it won't just produce loads of hair in one week, it takes a few weeks, sometimes months for some people. Thats why I had recommended monistat and mega tek because it sounded like you wanted it now. I don't think the hundreds of women who swear by it are liars. they have proof with pictures and measurements and video's. It can't be all in their mind if they know their hair was shoulder length and now its BSL in less then a few weeks. How is that all in your mind? That is what you call proof that it works. But I will not try and convince anyone that it works. I don't care whether it works for ashley, or jennifer, or tiffany, as long as it works for me. Thats all you should care about as well OP. Figure out what works for you and what you are most comfortable doing. If your not comfortable with the pills then don't do it. I am just letting you know that that option is out there.

I believe that positive thinking goes a long way, but it's not going to prevent or cure disease. I've known some very, very optimistic people who are now dead due to cancer and other ailments, and some pessimists who lived long and healthy lives. Honestly, I'm seeing quite a contradiction in your comments. If your granny's hair was falling out, that positive thinking wasn't working, was it? And if positive thinking will keep you healthy, why wouldn't it make your hair grow faster? Why should you need to take vitamins at all? Vitamins don't make you healthier. They're meant to replace nutritional deficits, and if your diet is that poor, you'd be much better off working to improve that.

If you don't have enough patience to wait out growing your hair, boosting your growth slightly isn't going to make that much difference. You have to be willing to wait, and if you can do that you'll have results. If you aren't, then you're going to go on to something else.

KwaveT
August 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM

I believe in the gospel and that God's will is for us to be healed, delivered, and set free. I will correct one thing in your post and that's the bolded portion above. It is never God's will for you to die of any disease. If you are in the will of God and living under the blessing rather than the curse then no disease is going to kill you unless it is your faith (in the disease that is) that does it. If you think the disease is going to kill you then it will. You may catch a disease just because we live in a fallen world. Most diseases that people catch is because of their own sin. They opened the door for the enemy to inflict them with it. For example, if you worry too much that is sin. Worry can make you sick. When your time comes to go to heaven you will give up your spirit and be in totally good health if you are living under the blessing. Stay in the blessing you never will get sick because you will be in that secret place mentioned in Psalms 91:1, that is God's protection. Verse 10 says "There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plaque come nigh thy dwelling." It says no plaque that means sickness. For those children that died I can't no for sure why they died without knowing more about the families. They could be praying wrong, they could be violating spiritual laws, or they may needed to fast to bring about manifestation of healing. Being led by Holy Spirit is the top priority if you want to find out what you need to do to manifest healing. This is way too deep of a subject for this post. My recommendation is finding some books on healing that can go into this stuff in detail. I like Kenneth Hagin, Kenneth Copeland, and Andrew Wommack. Google for their websites. I definitely recommend Andrew Wommack's "God Wants You Well" because it talks about some of these spiritual laws and then find some other healing books. Want to know more about the Blessing that I mentioned above then I recommend Kenneth Copeland's "The Blessing of the Lord: Makes Rich and He Adds No Sorrow With It". You can't read enough about these two subjects as they are both complex.

jeanniet
August 26th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I believe in the gospel and that God's will is for us to be healed, delivered, and set free. I will correct one thing in your post and that's the bolded portion above. It is never God's will for you to die of any disease. If you are in the will of God and living under the blessing rather than the curse then no disease is going to kill you unless it is your faith (in the disease that is) that does it. If you think the disease is going to kill you then it will. You may catch a disease just because we live in a fallen world. Most diseases that people catch is because of their own sin. They opened the door for the enemy to inflict them with it. For example, if you worry too much that is sin. Worry can make you sick. When your time comes to go to heaven you will give up your spirit and be in totally good health if you are living under the blessing. Stay in the blessing you never will get sick because you will be in that secret place mentioned in Psalms 91:1, that is God's protection. Verse 10 says "There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plaque come nigh thy dwelling." It says no plaque that means sickness. For those children that died I can't no for sure why they died without knowing more about the families. They could be praying wrong, they could be violating spiritual laws, or they may needed to fast to bring about manifestation of healing. Being led by Holy Spirit is the top priority if you want to find out what you need to do to manifest healing. This is way too deep of a subject for this post. My recommendation is finding some books on healing that can go into this stuff in detail. I like Kenneth Hagin, Kenneth Copeland, and Andrew Wommack. Google for their websites. I definitely recommend Andrew Wommack's "God Wants You Well" because it talks about some of these spiritual laws and then find some other healing books. Want to know more about the Blessing that I mentioned above then I recommend Kenneth Copeland's "The Blessing of the Lord: Makes Rich and He Adds No Sorrow With It". You can't read enough about these two subjects as they are both complex.
I understand that you are deeply devout, but what you have said here is really offensive and hurtful to many people. I've known several people who were also deeply devout and suffering from cancer, and they died--one of them an evangelical minister. Putting the blame for childrens' deaths on the family is just...well, sometimes it's better not to say anything at all, even if it's what you believe.

BambooBeauty
August 26th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I think the best advice is to eat healthy and drink plent of water. When I eat like crap I feel like crap when I eat good I feel good and look better. I feel like lots of people are looking for a special potion or pill that will make you wake up with really long hair but it doesn't work like that. But thats just my opinion. Anyways I love putting oils in my hair, I dont believe it makes my hair grow but it makes my heair really soft which I LOVE.

Bunnysaur
August 26th, 2012, 09:54 PM

I suppose I should start fasting and praying properly, become abstinent and stop eating "unclean" meat, I can feel my seasonal ear infection coming on... :rollin:

I... just... wow. First, how does one "pray wrong?" I don't believe in God for many many reasons, but any God who is going to judge you for how well you pray to him is not a god worth praying to, in my book.
I am incredibly offended by the entirety this post.

/Bunnysaur over and out, before I really get mad. :brickwall

Rufflebutt
August 26th, 2012, 10:28 PM

Those women who take biotin or use monistat probably aren't liars. They probably ARE convinced that it's helping them. But honestly, it's either a placebo affect or it's all in their head. Truth is, scientific studies have proven that neither of these treatments genuinely produce any results.
Also, thinking positively will not prevent kidney damage or any disease for that matter. If that were the case, people would think positively out of every disease ever.

Silverbrumby
August 26th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Biotin gave me great nails but did nothing for hair growth. Nothing. I've been taking it for 13 months. I still get 1/2 inch a month most months.

SerinaDaith
August 26th, 2012, 10:40 PM
We all want lovely long locks right now darn it. The only supplements I take are by my doctor's recommendation. I am taking prenatal because I am nursing and we are trying to add another baby to our family. I am on flax seed oil aswell because I am allergic to fish and it is a good way to get omega fatty acids. I scalp massage and try to baby the hair I do have because three years from now it will be somewhere down my back and if it is bad now it will be worse later. Start finding ways to get it out of your face and think about other things. You will drive yourself batty trying to will it to grow faster (trust me). Love each length as you get to it even if it is not your goal because with luck and time you will never see this length again! Try to do a picture a month so that you can have them to remind you if a length actually works for you or if you hated it! I would have saved myself a lot of time now if I had done so sooner!

Rufflebutt
August 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I feel like this thread is getting out of control, and I kind of feel bad because I started the debate about biotin which somehow turned into a religious debate.

I know that the OP had no intention of this ever happening, but I think this thread should be closed before this turns really really nasty. D:

PolarCathy
August 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM
How can someone post such a thing, ever?

And you consider yourself a God person? With such judgmental, dogmatic, narrow-minded and arrogant thinking?

Maybe that's why I'm not religious.

Deeply offended.

Insta-ignorelist.

:run: :run:

jeanniet
August 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM
How can someone post such a thing, ever?

And you consider yourself a God person? With such judgmental, dogmatic, narrow-minded and arrogant thinking?

Maybe that's why I'm not religious.

Deeply offended.

Insta-ignorelist.

:run: :run:
It's equally upsetting to many Christians, including myself. But Rufflebutt is right; this isn't what the thread is supposed to be about, so it would be best to ignore and stick to the thread topic.

I strongly believe that the most important part of having long hair is the journey to get there. You learn so much along the way, and appreciate your hair because of the time and effort. You just have to let yourself enjoy it!

TheWhiteRabbit
August 27th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I think everyone here needs to cool their jets and step back.

All of this started because of some uneducated, and perhaps thoughtless, thoughts and believes that were thrown out there in an attempt to help. This has escalated to an religious fight that is un-needed. We are all adults here, most of us, and we should be able to handle this like adults.

We dont need to point out everything that someone else said that we think is wrong because we cant let others be ignorant. We do not need to rush in and correct every wrong thought that is expressed by someone else. We dont need to bash religions or believes.

Instead, we need to have some cheese :cheese:

DancingQueen
August 27th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I didn't read the entire thread, but here is my advice. First of all, please do not start taking 5 or 10 different pills at once, just to get longer hair. Even if they are healthy in themselves, they can be very dangerous in overdose. Pick ONE thing, and stick with it for a few months, to see the results.

That said, the only thing that ever worked for me is priorin. I take it because I shed way more than 100 hairs per day, and my pony was getting a lot thinner. It almost stopped my shedding, and have the side-effect that it speed up my hair growth. I tried other things, but none of them worked for me. You can check out my priorin thread if you want.

If you try priorin, biotin, sillica or other pills, please try only one at a time. No matter how desperate you are, don't affect your health to make your hair grow faster. Overdose of pills can actually cause hairloss instead of making it grow faster.

Hope this helped, feel free to write a private message if you have any questions, or want to know more. :)

Wildcat Diva
August 27th, 2012, 06:23 AM
But just because you are taking different supplements, that doesn't mean that you are going to "overdose" on them. For example, taking biotin, silica, garlic supplements, fish oil, MSM at the same time is not going to cause an" overdose". It's fine to try out many things at once, I feel. Problem is that if you are going to look for one solution/ eliminate one cause to a problem, you might not find it with multiple interventions. But in my quest for longer, healthier hair? Generally, I'm throwing whatever I can at it, within reason, and figuring it out as I go.

Wildcat Diva
August 27th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I think everyone here needs to cool their jets and step back.

All of this started because of some uneducated, and perhaps thoughtless, thoughts and believes that were thrown out there in an attempt to help. This has escalated to an religious fight that is un-needed. We are all adults here, most of us, and we should be able to handle this like adults.

We dont need to point out everything that someone else said that we think is wrong because we cant let others be ignorant. We do not need to rush in and correct every wrong thought that is expressed by someone else. We dont need to bash religions or believes.

Instead, we need to have some cheese :cheese:

Funny, today I'm fine with just leaving these comments alone. People have already said what needed to be said. My skin must be thick today. Maybe I need to exfoliate.

julliams
August 27th, 2012, 06:37 AM
It's really really hard, but try not to worry about it too much and enjoy your hair at each new milestone. When I was growing I took photos in the same shirt every month so that I could see how much it had grown. It made each month fly by and let me see my progress. The best advice I can give you is to treat your hair well and do a deep treatment every week.

TheWhiteRabbit
August 27th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Funny, today I'm fine with just leaving these comments alone. People have already said what needed to be said. My skin must be thick today. Maybe I need to exfoliate.

Thick skin is good though, reduces stress by so much ;)

jojo
August 27th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Well aren't you lucky then! Neither had my family but it didn't stop me! You obviously do not want to listen to any advice anybody wants to give you. I was mearly stating the facts from both a personal and professional point of view ( I have a honour degree in health sciences so I think that verifies me as a professional) but you just carry on with the biotin, it's your kidneys!

JamieLeigh
August 27th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Nobody here is any better than anyone else. Period.

OP: Patience and good health.

RitaPG
August 27th, 2012, 08:45 PM

1) eating healthy
chemicals and bleach
10) Avoid ponytails!

Good luck!

Couldn't agree more with what Madora posted.
Taking good care of yourself and staying healthy maximizes your growth potential. And protecting your hair with gentle detangling, braiding and/or bunning, will prevent you from having to cut it too often to get rid of damage, which will help you achieve your goal faster.

Having had scalp itches and flakies in the past, I find that oiling before washing and using an ACV rinse, really helped improve the condition of my scalp.
Oil massages improve the scalp circulation, moisturize the skin and loosen up any gunk or residue that might be causing the itches, they also replenish the hair and prevent moisture loss when we shampoo. And an ACV rinse after washing helps balance the skin PH and really relieves itchiness and irritation. I use a tablespoon of Apple Cider vinegar in about 1L of water.

As for supplements, I don't think people really need them, unless they are suffering from some illness or have poor eating habits.
If you think that there's something missing in your diet, I'd suggest a regular multivitamin. Anything beyond that is only advised if you have been tested for deficiencies and know you're lacking certain nutrients. For example; I was born with Thalassemia, which is a blood disorder that often makes me anemic, and I have to take iron supplements and vitaminC for the better part of a year to have normal iron levels, because I can't seem to absorb enough from food alone.
Another example is smoking, it blocks a lot of vitamin absorbtion, especially vitamin C, I think.

Try not to fret too much while your hair doesn't reach your desired goal. A neat way for me to deal with hairgrowth is to think of it not as a goal in life, but something that just happens while we're living our lives :) Ignore the length, and in no time you'll be looking in the mirror and noticing a difference.

justgreen
August 29th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Lots of good advice given here. Patience, water, more patience......

My story. I'm a sick person. I have two lower back discs that are mashed together with arthritis between them, arthritis in both knees and bone spurs on both achilles tendons on the backs of my heels, Fibromyalgia and one lung. I use 4 litres of oxygen 24/7. I take many meds.

Neurontin-Fibro. Dosage 3000 mgs a day, almost the highest doseage allowed
Celebrexx-Arthritis . Dosage twice a day instead of once
Two different blood pressure meds because of a back wash of blood due to not having a pulmonary artery to the right lung.
Levothyroxin-hypothyroidism. Dosage 100
Zanaflex-muscle relaxer (these puppies are wicked and actually relax your damn muscles) I take them at bedtime
Hydroxyzin-allergies and itching due to taking meds (grrrr) These are wicked also and will knock me out if I sit down too long.
Oxycontin-Chronic Pain . Dosage 20 mgs, six to eight a day
I also have a Benzo (can't recall the name right now) for use when I have small panic attacks
Zolpidem-deep sleep aid
Chelated Iron-easily absorbed iron supplement that doesn't afffect colon
ALL the Vitamin B's
Calcium and Vit D
Luckily I have been anti-depressant free for over three years now.

I tried Biotin several years ago. It made my fingernails stronger and that's about it.

So, in taking this mishmash of drugs, getting maybe 2% of normal exercise.....I am patient and I drink LOTS of water. My hair rewards me by growing at a normal rate, 1/2" to 1" per month. I know it grows because I have to get my darn roots highlighted with bleach every five weeks. And my hair still grows and is healthy.

What I'm saying in a long winded fashion, you have to find what works for you. Most times (95%) coochy cream (ugh who wants those chemicals on your thin scalp), mega doses of Biotin and any other of these hard on the body things, don't work any better than patience and water. Treat your hair with gentleness and it will reward you.

I'm a Christian, having faith in God that he will help you grow your hair is kinda silly to me. Thanking him for giving me everything that I have is more along the lines of what I do. The hair will grow whether I have faith in God or not. And please, let's quit bashing each other.

*justy*
xoxo

Anapeli
August 29th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Akilina,
Can only speak for myself BUT if I am the god of my OWN world, I am in some serious trouble. I mean that 100%. It seems no matter how together i am, and how in control I think I am, there is sometimes a surprise from a god of someone else's world that throws a monkey wrench into my world and messes my plan up. I am really thankful that I have a God that controls my life, good and bad. However, please dont take it as an affront. I just know what my experiences are.

my hair grew a little better with Sukesh from Henna sooq

Sarahlabyrinth
August 29th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Erm, I tried Fish oil capsules for general health , not specifically for hair growth and got terrible nosebleeds so had to stop taking them. My doctor couldn't find a cause for the bleeds. I stopped taking them and the nosebleeds stopped as well.

This does not mean that fish oil is bad for anyone, but they just didn't seem to work for me. I was too busy coping with nosebleeds to notice effects on hair growth so cannot report on that one.

ravenreed
August 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM
It is recommended to stop fish oil before any surgeries because apparently it can lead to excessive bleeding. Makes sense that if you have any sorts of problems in your nose that you would be more likely to bleed if you are taking them.

Erm, I tried Fish oil capsules for general health , not specifically for hair growth and got terrible nosebleeds so had to stop taking them. My doctor couldn't find a cause for the bleeds. I stopped taking them and the nosebleeds stopped as well.

This does not mean that fish oil is bad for anyone, but they just didn't seem to work for me. I was too busy coping with nosebleeds to notice effects on hair growth so cannot report on that one.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 29th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hmm, interesting, maybe it thins the blood a little? Would that mean if you were on blood thinning drugs you shouldn't take them?

Audrey Horne
August 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM
As to the question of what makes one's hair grow faster... DNA - first of all. If by your DNA 1/2 inch is your absolute maximum then that's what you get. Taking good care of your hair helps a lot. Just take your time to read the articles and some threads. There's lots of info if you care to dig it up.

What I can't understand is how this thread could get any religious undertones whatsoever? Is it some new crazy trend to turn everything into either religious or racist bs? Sorry, if it sounds harsh but I hope we're better than that here. Believing in Jesus won't make anyone's hair grow, it doesn't make you better than anyone else either. True Christian person wouldn't say or imply that, imo. And hey, saying that because someone thinks of kidney failure, cancer, etc. he/she will get it - is just beyond BEYOND awful thing to say! I'm speechless.

jeanniet
August 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hmm, interesting, maybe it thins the blood a little? Would that mean if you were on blood thinning drugs you shouldn't take them?
I think it does thin the blood slightly. I think my mom had to stop taking fish oil when she started on Pradexa (blood thinner).

MrsGuther
August 29th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Nothing you can do will make your hair grow faster than your genetic hair growth rate. What will help your hair be healthy is to avoid flat irons, blow dryers, and chemical dyes. Also avoid rough handling of your hair which will cause mechanical damage. Dont use damaging elastic ponytail holders or metal hair clips, etc. good luck on your hair journey, and happy growing!! :cheese:

Tania
August 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Thank you justy. Me and my husband are also Christians. We been saved and born again for 6 yrs now. I'm trusting in good because at the end of the day Jesus is the best medicine. I'm really sorry to hear of everything you half to go three on a daily basis. Thank you for your advice. You will def be in my prayers.

Anapeli
August 30th, 2012, 02:04 PM
What I can't understand is how this thread could get any religious undertones whatsoever? Is it some new crazy trend to turn everything into either religious or racist bs? Sorry, if it sounds harsh but I hope we're better than that here. Believing in Jesus won't make anyone's hair grow, it doesn't make you better than anyone else either. True Christian person wouldn't say or imply that, imo. And hey, saying that because someone thinks of kidney failure, cancer, etc. he/she will get it - is just beyond BEYOND awful thing to say! I'm speechless.

Absolutely right, trusting in Jesus doesnt make anyone better. Because we are all in the same boat. It's what JESUS does that makes the difference not what I or anyone esle does. When someone believes that and that belief does changes thier life to something new, you want to tell others. That's why alot of times religion comes in. At least, that's why many of my conversations lead to talking about Christ.

hufflepug
August 30th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Thank you for mentioning this! I can't take aspirin because it thins my blood too much and I get terrible nose bleeds. I haven't tried fish oil yet because I hate fish and I've heard it can give you fishy burps, but I was planning to try it soon. If this is a possible effect, it would probably happen to me, so I think I'll just pass on the fish oil.

millyaulait
August 30th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Absolutely right, trusting in Jesus doesnt make anyone better. Because we are all in the same boat. It's what JESUS does that makes the difference not what I or anyone esle does. When someone believes that and that belief does changes thier life to something new, you want to tell others. That's why alot of times religion comes in. At least, that's why many of my conversations lead to talking about Christ.

I don't know. I'm just butting in here but I thought it was because someone posted that just because they were positive & believed in God or whatever that meant they wouldn't get cancer, because they were positive-thinking & didn't think about getting it.... therefore they wouldn't get it.

Which is actually just really disgusting, I'm sorry. I had a friend who died from cancer. She was probably the happiest, most positive person I'd ever known. All through her fight with C she prayed, believed, stayed positive when no one else could. I just find it highly offensive that someone would actually have the idiocy to say that just because you believe in something & think that you're positive-thinking that you won't be struck ill.

I'm sure so many people have experienced what I have in regards to knowing someone with C like that. So, so offensive & ignorant of that poster.

I hate how religion always comes into these sort of threads too, Audrey Horne. By posting this I of course don't want to start anything, but I felt too strongly to keep quiet this time.

JellyBene
August 30th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Oh dear, loving how the hair growth thread got religious undertones..... As far as faster growth, monistat seems to be helping speed my growth up. And my opinion on positive thinking and hair growth is that it is true to some extent. I know for me when i get overly stressed or depressed, I have stalls in my growth and even experience excess shedding. Perhaps that's what the OP meant, not that positive thinking will magically increase growth, but rather a healthy mindset can bring an onset of healthy growth.

Anapeli
August 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I don't know. I'm just butting in here but I thought it was because someone posted that just because they were positive & believed in God or whatever that meant they wouldn't get cancer, because they were positive-thinking & didn't think about getting it.... therefore they wouldn't get it.

Which is actually just really disgusting, I'm sorry. I had a friend who died from cancer. She was probably the happiest, most positive person I'd ever known. All through her fight with C she prayed, believed, stayed positive when no one else could. I just find it highly offensive that someone would actually have the idiocy to say that just because you believe in something & think that you're positive-thinking that you won't be struck ill.

I'm sure so many people have experienced what I have in regards to knowing someone with C like that. So, so offensive & ignorant of that poster.

I hate how religion always comes into these sort of threads too, Audrey Horne. By posting this I of course don't want to start anything, but I felt too strongly to keep quiet this time.

Yes, that's correct someone said that positive thinking prevents disease which isn't true. Like I said in an earlier post we have always been a happy, positive family and my son was still dx with cancer when he was 1 and battled for 3 years relapsed and had to have a transplant inspite of our beliefs and positive attitude. But I believe that is was our faith that gave us hope and allowed us to fight and try everything. He is ok now with tons of learning issues and other issues but it's our faith that helps us go forward because we believe that God has a purpose for him and for everyone. My son survived but we made a friend during treatnent who 's son was in the same situation as us and her son died. He was 5. And his mom continued to be positive and hopeful because she believed 100% that she will see him again and he will be with her for eternity. The point is that reality will happen, good people will die of terrible diseases no matter if they are positive or not. It's what we do while in that storm that makes it bearable.

Nothing to do with hair but it bugged me when I saw the post that said being positive prevents pathology.

Audrey Horne
August 30th, 2012, 08:29 PM

Unfortunately, just being positive won't prevent getting cancer or anything else. I've lost two relatives to cancer and I know nobody has ever thought they'd be the ones who get it. I'd say they were positive and thought how to go on with their lives.
Those were disgusting words and I don't understand how a Jesus-following person would say that!
I see your point (I underlined), I see how it can help people in difficult life situations. But people have different views and beliefs, there are some agnostics over here too. I think it might be better to have the Mane Board more religious-undertones-free and save the undertones for the Friendship Board. Maybe I am wrong... But it could potentially rule out some of the conflicts. And maybe I'm the only one who sees it that way but the atmosphere got tense on the forum lately.

So did I... I don't want to start fights but if things like these are said then just looking at them and letting it go... mmm no, I don't think so. I only hope that some individuals will not repeat such mistakes in the future and be respectful to others.
And it's just hair... really!

SerinaDaith
August 30th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Why must people keep throwing dogma into hair growth or health? I know perfectly healthy atheists, I know a person who's son has been battling the big C for years, heck my "spiritual" aunt is a breast cancer surviver, not to mention all the wonderful Pagans, Atheists and Satanists I know who are by the way all wonderful loving people who get better without God's help. Just because someone is not part of your faith does not mean that they do not have the ability to stick it out as a family and take care of one another. God won't fix you, you have to do that yourself. Faith, prayer and good vibes are all great I just wish people could stop blarbing the faith. We know you are happy, we don't generally try to change you. Why can't you accept that we are happy without your god? Hair growth is part of evolution your faith won't make it any different then your genetics dictate.

~end rant~

Silverbrumby
August 30th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I've always found it pretty pointless to get into 'those' discussions. When it comes to hair it's all about the genetics. Sure you can slow it down but eating badly, some hormones, diseases and smoking but so long as you are looking after all the important stuff it will grow as it's meant to grow.

cwarren
August 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Why must people keep throwing dogma into hair growth or health? I know perfectly healthy atheists, I know a person who's son has been battling the big C for years, heck my "spiritual" aunt is a breast cancer surviver, not to mention all the wonderful Pagans, Atheists and Satanists I know who are by the way all wonderful loving people who get better without God's help. Just because someone is not part of your faith does not mean that they do not have the ability to stick it out as a family and take care of one another. God won't fix you, you have to do that yourself. Faith, prayer and good vibes are all great I just wish people could stop blarbing the faith. We know you are happy, we don't generally try to change you. Why can't you accept that we are happy without your god? Hair growth is part of evolution your faith won't make it any different then your genetics dictate.

~end rant~

:applause :beercheer:

SerinaDaith
August 30th, 2012, 09:23 PM
:applause :beercheer:

And here I thought I was going to be yelled at!

ravenreed
August 30th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I don't think that there is any appropriate place for proselytizing, except in a thread devoted to it so the rest of us can avoid it. Anyone who lives in the modern world has heard about most of the bigger religions and quite a few of the smaller ones. If we were interested, we would be one of them by now. It would be like if I started spouting words about praying to a particular goddess and what various long hair spells to do. Unless asked, I don't express much about my religion other than to say what it is.

Unfortunately, just being positive won't prevent getting cancer or anything else. I've lost two relatives to cancer and I know nobody has ever thought they'd be the ones who get it. I'd say they were positive and thought how to go on with their lives.
Those were disgusting words and I don't understand how a Jesus-following person would say that!
I see your point (I underlined), I see how it can help people in difficult life situations. But people have different views and beliefs, there are some agnostics over here too. I think it might be better to have the Mane Board more religious-undertones-free and save the undertones for the Friendship Board. Maybe I am wrong... But it could potentially rule out some of the conflicts. And maybe I'm the only one who sees it that way but the atmosphere got tense on the forum lately.

So did I... I don't want to start fights but if things like these are said then just looking at them and letting it go... mmm no, I don't think so. I only hope that some individuals will not repeat such mistakes in the future and be respectful to others.
And it's just hair... really!

Anapeli
August 31st, 2012, 03:50 AM

~end rant~

I dont think anyine said because someone is not a believer it means that they are not happy. I'm know there are billions of people that do not know Christ and I a sure many of those are happy, can battle cancer and an either live or die and have hope or not. Justvlike there are believers that struggle daily. I can only tell you my experience because it's true. Personally, I don't want to change anybody, but I believe I have an obligation to say what I know has only done good for me and those that I love and those that believe. I also have a God given right to say what I want to say just as you do. So, I disagree with you on what God can do to change a person because it changed me. Belive me, i would never have done it alone. I know it for a fact. Indont know what your problems are or if you have none. But i did and do and He gives me hope. Belief is your personal choice. We all have that choice. God doesn't want you to believe because anyone else does. Only when you personally have come to know it as truth. Now, I ask you, why is it wrong for someone to tell you that? It's not judgemental or condemning or mean, is it?

Anapeli
August 31st, 2012, 03:59 AM
I don't think that there is any appropriate place for proselytizing, except in a thread devoted to it so the rest of us can avoid it. Anyone who lives in the modern world has heard about most of the bigger religions and quite a few of the smaller ones. If we were interested, we would be one of them by now. It would be like if I started spouting words about praying to a particular goddess and what various long hair spells to do. Unless asked, I don't express much about my religion other than to say what it is.

I see what you mean, but like many other threads, this one took on new facets and dimensions because people are like that and we show our personality through what we say. Imagine how boring the board would be if we removed from it our personal nuances and just answered questions. This thread totally changed at about page 2, I think. If we start censoring where does it stop?

SerinaDaith
August 31st, 2012, 08:00 AM
I dont think anyine said because someone is not a believer it means that they are not happy. I'm know there are billions of people that do not know Christ and I a sure many of those are happy, can battle cancer and an either live or die and have hope or not. Justvlike there are believers that struggle daily. I can only tell you my experience because it's true. Personally, I don't want to change anybody, but I believe I have an obligation to say what I know has only done good for me and those that I love and those that believe. I also have a God given right to say what I want to say just as you do. So, I disagree with you on what God can do to change a person because it changed me. Belive me, i would never have done it alone. I know it for a fact. Indont know what your problems are or if you have none. But i did and do and He gives me hope. Belief is your personal choice. We all have that choice. God doesn't want you to believe because anyone else does. Only when you personally have come to know it as truth. Now, I ask you, why is it wrong for someone to tell you that? It's not judgemental or condemning or mean, is it?

It gets old after the first year or so. Look I am happy that you have found strength in your faith. I find strength in myself and my loved ones. I don't need something bigger than me to get through the day.* I will not go around telling people they are right to follow or wrong to follow, that and a good part of my rant was not directed at you specifically. I think a lot of people are just tired of hearing I put it with god. It seems like people use it as an excuse not to be accountable or a holier-than-thou type thing. Maybe living in the same town as Focus on the Family and New Life has made me bitter...

JesusFreak88
August 31st, 2012, 08:31 AM
Look I am all for religious debate, but there is a time and place for it and this is not it.

How do you make your hair grow faster? Be gentle with it and have patience. That is really the best advice there is.

Greenfire
August 31st, 2012, 08:54 AM
Wow! Okay, to backtrack here a little, and staying out of the BS part of the thread, cause it's all been said well enough already.

To the OP, if you don't know if your hair is growing to its potential, track it for a while as you follow Madora's advice. If it's growing 1/2 inch a month, then it's average. That might be all you get, but try a few things to see if it can change for you. Be aware that our hormones fluctuate, and people often experience different rates of growth at different times of year.

If you feel that you are nutritionally deficient, look into taking a complex B vitamin, as stress can interfere with retention of hair, and we all live in a stressed world, it seems we all can use this supplement, along with EFAs, so a fish oil or a flax oil, yes, add that too, and it doesn't have to be a pill, you can use it in your salad if you like. If there are other nutritional deficiencies, look to improving your diet and supplementing with other multivitamins as well. Protein deficiency also, if you are a vegan who doesn't have a balanced diet, have a look there.

On the note of Monistat, does it work for some people? It quite possibly does. What is it that made people start trying it in the first place? It has a similar ingredient profile to Rogaine, a prescription drug that causes hair to regrow in some balding individuals. What ingredients does it share? The carrier ingredients, which are basically emollients. We see this with prescription acne treatments, they need to test the prescription against a placebo as well as competitors, and we see a marked improvement in skin with just the placebo alone. The placebo they use is the carrier in which they put the medication. Why does this work? Because in some people, their skin doesn't have adequate moisture, so it can't act the way it is intended to act, and it can become inflamed and allow acne to happen. Why is it such a stretch to say that moisturizing the scalp can't help as well? Are the people using monistat crazy? Not really, but I do think they should skip the monistat and find another moisturizer that costs less and doesn't contain the ingredients that cause the itching and burning and inflammation, as that is counterproductive to a healthy scalp.

Snowymoon has her moisture treatment on here, as a much loved recipe, but she also has a hair growth treatment, that consists of not only moisturizing the scalp, but also massaging it, stimulating the hair follicles, and even recommends gentle tugging of the hair for the same purpose. Again, from the medical field, we will stimulate skin growth by irritating the skin around a plantar wart, to activate the immune system. The wart will start to be attacked while we're burning it off with liquid nitrogen, but the skin around the wart will grow at a faster rate to heal it, so it again is not a stretch to think that the scalp could be stimulated to produce a faster growth rate. Only way to know for certain is to determine your baseline growth rate and then try a few things that don't damage your hair or your body, and see if it improves.

Are you making it grow faster than what nature has coded into your DNA? No, but you could potentially reach that growth speed, if you weren't meeting it before.

Would I take something that could potentially hurt me as a possibility that it would make my hair grow? No, I know how precious life is, and when it comes down to it, there will be a day in all our lives that we may consider that we'd trade our hair for more time with someone, be it that we need to treat cancer and our hair falls out, or one of our loved ones is dying and we'd give up anything for one more day. Don't risk that you shorten your own days for hair.

Do I think that thought can alter the course of a disease? Yes, it can make disease go faster if you don't think positive, and it can help those who do think positive to fight a little harder, and maybe sometimes medicine can help give them an extra day. Do I think that positive thinking alone can prevent disease? Can prevent accidents? That would be wonderful, but it's not true. To the person who thinks it is, let me ask you this: Do you look both ways before you cross the street?

ChloeDharma
August 31st, 2012, 10:08 AM
So anyway, before the thread gets closed because people love a ruck...

What about the Rooibos experiment? Jojo started a thread on that and lots of people seem to like it. I've started spraying my scalp with it now. Well, i say scalp but i'm not always thorough. I've added some essential oils so i get a really nice smell too.

I do think that if we are realistic hair just does it's thing and grows. The advice to just be patient and let it happen is the best. I've always found the times when i've not really thought much about length and left it in a bun have been when suddenly i notice it's touching my bum or some other marker.
Things we do to stimulate growth i think are more to correct a problem that is hindering growth or causing hairloss. If you are healthy, your growth is normal and there's nothing detracting then relax and know it will happen :)

vanity_acefake
August 31st, 2012, 01:32 PM
I have shoulder length hair. I either like my hair long past my bra line in the back or short like a bob so I hate the length it's at now. Any ideas on how I can grow my hair faster and thicken it up at the same time.

My advice like many others is :
1. Healthy eating,
2. drink lots of water, (I find this one so hard as I really don't like water!)
3. treat your hair with respect - don't over cook it with heat, destroy it with too much bleaching, dying etc,
4. Brush it gently, don't rip the tangles out, brush from the bottom working to the scalp bit by bit,
5.Only comb with a wide tooth comb when wet,
6.Enjoy each stage of growth, bob length, shoulder, mid back, bsl, etc all have their rewards and challenges,
7.And finally ignore the growth rate. Stop measuring it and just let it grow! You cannot force your hair to grow faster or thicker than your own hair grows. It will grow the way it is supposed to for you and you alone.

Good luck with your hair growth journey. You will develop an almost zen like patience along the way! You will find that as soon as you have mastered a new way of styling it or putting it up, your hair will suddenly be too long for it and you will have to learn something new again.

Anapeli
August 31st, 2012, 04:26 PM
It gets old after the first year or so. Look I am happy that you have found strength in your faith. I find strength in myself and my loved ones. I don't need something bigger than me to get through the day.* I will not go around telling people they are right to follow or wrong to follow, that and a good part of my rant was not directed at you specifically. I think a lot of people are just tired of hearing I put it with god. It seems like people use it as an excuse not to be accountable or a holier-than-thou type thing. Maybe living in the same town as Focus on the Family and New Life has made me bitter...

No worries, I understand your point. I'm sorry if you have had bad experiences with believers. I am glad you are happy with your family. Thanks for the clarification.

Fairlight63
August 31st, 2012, 06:01 PM
I think that what has helped me the most is to braid my hair & put it in a bun & forget about it.
It is only going to grow so much a month & no use in worrying about it.
But the tips that are in this thread & what ever you find on LHC would not hurt to try :p

cowgirllong
August 31st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Bun it and forget. Make a list of the hairstyles you want to do when it get as long as you want it. That is way more fun than staring in the mirror wishing it were longer...

Wildcat Diva
August 31st, 2012, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I finally learned to measure my hair, and all the scalp massages and everything I do in the hopes it will speed it along just a little bit, and it's like 19"...and 19"...and 19".

Come on 20"!!!

But at least it keeps me focused on my hair and doing lots and lots every day to be healthier and take care of it well. No sense getting upset or bent out of shape. The only detrimental thing about the measuring is that my measuring tape has a little metal clip, and it has got my hair caught before. Yah!!!!

Long_hair_bear
August 31st, 2012, 07:26 PM
I know some people on here say that MN doesn't work, but I'd say give it a try for a month or so. My normal growth rate is 1/2" a month but I got an inch my first MN month. It pry doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a shot! I stopped doing it just out of sheer laziness. :D

SerinaDaith
August 31st, 2012, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I finally learned to measure my hair, and all the scalp massages and everything I do in the hopes it will speed it along just a little bit, and it's like 19"...and 19"...and 19".

Come on 20"!!!

But at least it keeps me focused on my hair and doing lots and lots every day to be healthier and take care of it well. No sense getting upset or bent out of shape. The only detrimental thing about the measuring is that my measuring tape has a little metal clip, and it has got my hair caught before. Yah!!!!

Satin ribbon then use the ribbon to measure with your tape? Just a thought...

hermosamendoza
August 31st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Love Mandora's advice...I'm going to explain a little bit, at least for me, what i do off of her list and maybe adding some more.
1.) eating healthy means getting a lot of good fats like avocados and nuts (look at the cultures that eat lots of avocados and their hair skin and nails are amazing)

2) I only use hot things for special events like weddings or a birthday like my child's thats going to have lots of pictures. That's once a year, twice tops. And I condition like crazy before and after the event.
I had beautiful one length hair that I had grown to my shoulders or just past but started experementing with Bleach to get my hair ombre (lighter tips) and it eventually ruined the tips and I have to micro trim it away.

3) wearing hair up to protect ends. I am different because my ends tend to shred to pieces when they're up in a bun alot or up against clips, etc.

4) Silk or Satin pillowcase. I've heard of this but never used it. I know it does shine your hair nicely though.

5) Trimming is important if you aren't using something like henna. In my experience henna sealed my ends and i never had to trim it. Stop using henna, started needing tiny trims. less than half an inch each time until I bleached...again yucky bleach!!!

6) S and D - yes I've done this and even invested in a good pair of scissors that sit in my bathroom now....I think I'm too lazy for it and since my mom and sis are hairstylist it wasn't useful to me

7) Scalp massages feel sooo nice. And find a shampoo that doesn't contain bad sulfates. There are sulfates that are made from plants that are nice. I use a daily shampoo from great clips and wash only my scalp. Best thing I've ever found. I hope they don't change it.

9) I use ouchless ponty tail holders in a pinch but I prefer bobby/hair pins.

10) If you wear your ponytail in the same exact spot every day it will cause damage. I wear my hair up in a PT often but its always a different height. way down low, or way up high, or loose in the middle. I saw problems when I was in high school because I wore my pony tale the same exact way for 4 years and had little breaks..now I don't see that.

11) Braiding is fun! And there are so many different ways to do it. My nieces always braid their hair to make it grow. Well thats why they say they braid their hair. But in my experience it just makes it out of the way and less likely to snag on stuff. But don't do it too tight or your could cause bald spots

12) AGREE 100% no extra advice

13) AHHHH Not even with conditioner in your hair in the shower should you ever use a comb or brush on wet hair! Fastest way to ruin good hair.

14) AGREE 100%

15) AGREE stay away from products that clog your scalp pores or have alcohol in them and cause dryness

MY ADDING THAT WASN'T ON THE LIST:
If you want to take a vitamin take a regular multivitamin. Taking a prenatal does NOT make your hair grow faster unless you have them combined with hormones of actually being pregnant! Also Biotin yes will help if you are losing hair because of hormonal stress (say: having a baby) but once you stop taking those extra boosting pills your hair will stop growing like it was and go back to it's natural state and fall out. After a year of losing so much hair I was balding and had receding hairlines I cut my hair into the bob like in the picture in my signature.

Another piece of advice if you don't want to wear your hair up all the time is to wear the top half up or even just to get it out of your face with pins or clips.

Tania
September 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Ok so you said a key word for me. I feel like the top part of my hair has thinned out and even though my scalp is perfectly clear it itches. I'm using acv rinses and olive and castor oil. I can't afford to go to the doctor because I have no Health insurance. I've started taking a multivitamin also fish oil.

katfemme89
September 3rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Good nutrition and scalp stimulation are the only things that are scientifically proven to make hair grow as quickly and healthy as possible.