PDA

View Full Version : So I am an idiot (Coconut Oil related)

tambalina
August 23rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Well, I went out and bought my first jar of organic, unrefined, virgin coconut oil. Why was I surprised, then, when I opened it and exclaimed (out loud,) "Ugh, this smells like coconut?!"

:facepalm:

I'm hoping the benefits outweigh my loathing for anything coconut scented. (But I love EATING Samoa Girl Scout cookies.) It was rather expensive. Please, please let the smell grow on me! If it doesn't, is there anything I can do to alter the scent? It's weird walking around smelling like a Mounds bar.

Tisiloves
August 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
I melted mine and added some essential oil (I used cherry, but whatever you want).

Arakazi
August 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
I know the coconut smell can be quite over powering sometimes. I use Blue Coconut Coconut cooking oil. 100% Pure and Natural. It's deodorised so it's great! All the benefits and none of the smell.

Wildcat Diva
August 23rd, 2012, 08:41 PM
It has grown on me. I actually eat tablespoons of the stuff now. I find myself craving it a little bit, and then I go into the kitchen and get some. I think a big part of it is the smell which I didn't love right away.

I also get for some reason a (what?) "smell craving" to use Nightblooming Panacea and I have to go and use a little bit even if my hair doesn't really need it. Maybe I am just a bit weird. But some smells can be soothing.

Oh, I just remembered! I used coconut oil and cornstarch and essential oils (lavender) to make a "homemade underarm deoderant" and it smelled lovely. I could still smell the coconut but it was not as strong. So maybe you could indeed have success with adding EOs.

Chimom79
August 23rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Oh wow, I ADORE anything coconut scented! So I am looking forward to getting some of the oil that has the smell. :smile:

Melisande
August 23rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
I love the scent of my parachute coconut oil. It's not sweet and sticky like coconut sweets but smoky and gentle. I simply love it!

Every natural coconut oil I bought until now had a very gentle scent. Are you certain that there is no added scent to yours? Maybe you have a very sensitive nose.

katfemme89
August 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM
Anyone know how to make their own organic coconut oil? I've been trying to figure this out for weeks.

pepperminttea
August 24th, 2012, 02:51 AM
If I remember rightly, refined coconut oil doesn't have the scent. If you can't stand the smell but like the results, get refined next time. :)

cindy58
August 24th, 2012, 03:05 AM
People where I work would love you if you smelled like a Mounds bar. They disappear with astounding speed from the candy dish.

Coconut oil was weird for me. It made my ends look horrid and crispy, as if in desperate need of cutting off. I clarified and it was all better.

Natalia
August 24th, 2012, 03:06 AM
I enjoy the scent of coconut but if your hair likes it but you cant get used to it they do make it deoderized. Its obviously more processed but no scent. Like othes have said adding eos may help if not that then maybe monoi oil? Its coconut oil but heavily scented my tiare one doent have a strong coconut scent the flower is the dominant scent.

MinderMutsig
August 24th, 2012, 03:43 AM
I detest the coconut scent too. I added EO's to mine and only use it as a pre-wash treatment. I couldn't stand to have that smell lingering around my head for a day let alone until the next wash.

MissCoco
August 24th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Either you get the refined kind or you only use coconut mixed with other oils and EO's. Something like coconut with avocado, almond, and lavender EO, for example. Or you get used to the pure stuff ;) Um, another alternative would be monoï oil (which is fractionated coconut oil with heavenly-smelling tiaré flowers), but it's obviously more expensive...

At first, I would get a bit nauseous from the smell of coconut, but now I just LOVE it, personally. Smells exotic and a bit nutty :cloud9:

Aqua Gal
August 24th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Sorry, nothing helpful to add, but a siren went off in my head when you mentioned Samoas. OMG!

Apologies for the mini hijack...carry on.

heidi w.
August 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I use Spectrum Naturals Coconut Oil found under the Body section of their website. It's unrefined, I believe, and has no smell whatsoever. There have been times I've added Grapefruit scent to it.

heidi w.

Chanie
August 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM
you can get it without any smell, but i personally love the smell in my oil, i use coldpressed ekstra virgin coconut oil, and my hair loves it to <3

Chanie
August 24th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Its organic of coarse and from a brand called parisut which comes in a 1000 ml. Bottle <3 i also have something from the danish brand urtekram :)

afu
August 24th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I go through phases of adding peppermint EO to my coconut oil, after a while of using it minty scented i don't mind the coconut smell for a while

jojo
August 24th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I adore the smell of coconut, it's one of my favorite smells. Reminds me of sunny, happy days!

Majala
August 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I adore the smell of coconut, it's one of my favorite smells. Reminds me of sunny, happy days!

Me too! It's by far my favourite smell and taste too. But sadly it doesn't agree with my skin and in less than an hour the sweet smell turns into rancid one. :( But my friend smells sweet and coconut-y hours afters she applies it and she avoids using it because she doesn't like the smell. It's not fair. :rant:

Happyhomemama
August 24th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Another coconut hater here! I hate even the smell. I use refined coconut oil, no odor, I cook with it too.:)

Deanna

nobeltonya
August 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I apply it heavily at night and put my hair up, so I never really smell it... except when I'm applying it, or if I take it down. Sometimes I'll leave it down for a bit, b/c I don't like to keep it up. :D :disco:

Vrindi
August 24th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I was disappointed when I opened my jar and it DIDN'T smell like coconut! Probably a good thing, or I'd be chewing my hair.

ratgirldjh
August 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Anyone know how to make their own organic coconut oil? I've been trying to figure this out for weeks.

Take some organic dried shredded coconut and put it into a blender with warm water. Let it sit for a bit and then turn on the blender and blend for a minute or 2. Let it sit again and then blend it again and pour the coconut milk you have made through a fine strainer or cheesecloth and catch the liquid. Put the coconut milk into the fridge and in a few hours the oil will be solidified at the top.

Or you can buy some coconut milk in a can (contains more oil) and don't shake it and put it into the fridge and skim the oil off the top.

If you want to use fresh coconut you can do the same as above and you can use the coconut water instead of water.

Another way to do it is to take the fresh coconut and cook chunks of it gentlyin a pan. The oil will ooze out and it smells wonderful! In Belize there is a coconut oil market section and I watched them make it this way. This oil is heated slightly though.

Greenfire
August 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Ah, just cook with the stuff, the smell doesn't last long in cooking, or give some to your dog, it's great for their coat, if you can't stand to eat it! Get the refined kind next time, no smell.

tambalina
August 24th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Thank you, everyone!! I will be looking at some EOs. Giving it to my dogs is a good idea, too!! I will be reseaching MORE on Monoi oil. I appreciate the help!!

renia22
August 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Thank you, everyone!! I will be looking at some EOs. Giving it to my dogs is a good idea, too!! I will be reseaching MORE on Monoi oil. I appreciate the help!!

If you really don't like it, you can always bake with it to use it up (just melt it & replace for recipes that use vegetable oil or butter). If you like the benefits for your hair but not the scent, "Fiji" brand makes an organic virgin coconut oil that I really like that comes in 3 ounce sizes so you can sample a small amount without buying a huge one. I like the plain 'fragrance free" (not really fragrance free, it still smells like coconut), but they also have tangerine/lemongrass and pineapple. "The Coconut Hut" (coconuthutbeauty.com) has 1, 2 & 4 ounce sized coconut oils and you can get any scent you want. The only thing with that one is it does have quite a bit of fragrance oils in it, so it does not solidify quite as quickly and I don't know how beneficial the added fragrance oil would be to hair. I prefer the Fiji brand for hair, The Coconut Hut for skin. But both could be options in the future if you would like something ready made. Both have great bottles too & aren't as messy as jars.

Chimom79
August 25th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I bought the organic refined coconut oil today they had at just my local grocery store. No smell at all, completely odorless. I want to get some unrefined sometime though as I love the coconut smell! This is the one that is odorless. Maybe see if your grocery store has it. This was just in the oil section in mine.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/FairSpirit122701/3F0D6054-5354-41BE-A7C4-BA31CAF48DEB-282-0000005A5020ED9C.jpg

tambalina
August 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I bought the organic refined coconut oil today they had at just my local grocery store. No smell at all, completely odorless. I want to get some unrefined sometime though as I love the coconut smell! This is the one that is odorless. Maybe see if your grocery store has it. This was just in the oil section in mine.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/FairSpirit122701/3F0D6054-5354-41BE-A7C4-BA31CAF48DEB-282-0000005A5020ED9C.jpg

LOL! I bought this same brand in UNrefined . . . Now I know. ::sigh::

HylianGirl
August 25th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I had no idea there were people who disliked the smell, I personally love it ^-^ I hope you get to find one that doesn't smell or find some EOs that help. Have you tried amond oil? That is, if you like the way it smells. Almond oil has a really nice smell to me....

Also, thanks ratgirldjh, I guess I'll try that out! Even though I live in a tropical country that produces coconut, it's oil is still expnsive here (even more expensive than in the USA O.O) I don't get it, it's probably huge taxes... so when I run out of oil I'll try making my own ^-^

sunshine-locks
August 26th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Take some organic dried shredded coconut and put it into a blender with warm water. Let it sit for a bit and then turn on the blender and blend for a minute or 2. Let it sit again and then blend it again and pour the coconut milk you have made through a fine strainer or cheesecloth and catch the liquid. Put the coconut milk into the fridge and in a few hours the oil will be solidified at the top.

I tried this and it worked so well! Got lots of the oil now! When I applied it on my ends though, they went really wavy O.o is that normal?