PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Day Hair?

chainedangel
August 8th, 2008, 06:54 AM
So I'm steppin down the aisle this October and have NO IDEA how I will do my hair. And no idea how I will fasten it as df has banned hairsticks for said day. My hair is about tb length, iii, often big S waves and while I want it up I still want to show off the length.
FWIW- My dress is a white halter with a court train and the back is cut straight across- no droop, no real showing of the back. I think a half up might be ok.
TIA
*UPDATE*
Decided to go with sock bun braided in two braids and wrapped around the bun with a few tendrils hanging down. And my 11yo son suggested putting flowers in the braided part and I'm thinking of sticking the veil in the hole of the bun.
Yay!

Chromis
August 8th, 2008, 07:04 AM
If you do a search, you'll come up with lots of suggestions!

Is this going to be indoors or out? Indoors, sure go with the half up if you like, outdoors I'd think hard about the weather. If it's windy you'll be spitting hair out all day!

I'd go full up with a halter myself, it'll make you look even more swanlike and sleek, but I'm not a big half up person to start with.

Amberlee
August 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
well, if you want it up - but still want to show off the length - half up is your only real option, isn't it?

How 'bout something like this?

Hmmm, it would appear I cannot post any pics yet. The pic. is of a very off the face half up/half down that then just has the length is a slightly thicker than a pony down the back. A very tidy half up look.

Is it just sticks that are forbidden fruit - or does df really just want your hair to be down?

bunnii
August 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM
First of all CONGRATULATIONS!! :disco:

have you thought of something elvish?? on long hair maybe one of those braided half up simple dos with a nice clip.

Bene
August 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
with a halter?

you best bet is to keep it all up in an appropriately intricate do.... i don't have anything against half-ups, but i've never seen one that looks fancy enough for a halter OR a wedding (unless it's the flower girl)

sipnsun
August 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I have a good friend who is a hair dresser and for weeks before my wedding we experimented with many styles. Then she would take a picture with my veil on and that way I could compare all of the different styles I liked. She and my mom finally convinced me that an updo looked best with my dress, but without the pictures, I probably would have worn it down.

Elleyena
August 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I'm glad you found a style that works! Congratulations and early wishes for your happy day!

Magdalene
August 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Are you wearing a headpiece or a veil? That makes a big difference in your hairdo!

Amberlee
August 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I take back my earlier comment. A braided style would keep the hair tidy and upish while showing the length.

chainedangel
August 8th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I have a veil but an not insisting on wearing it. If it happens to work for my hairstyle great! If not my dd has a new dress up accessory. And you're right- a half-up wouldn't look right with a halter. What about a few long tendrils? It will be inside so I don't have to worry about wind.

thankyousir74
August 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
How about some long accent braids on the sides of an updo?

Bene
August 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
ok, i just thought of something....

how about a variation of nevermore's new updo here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9906) ?

but, the bun part could be a nice braided deal, intricate with little decorative thingies in it that match your dress, and then braid that bottom two parts.... so if you look at the pic, the red and yellow parts that wrap around the bun and hang would be braided as well? not sure i'm describing it right, but it may solve your dilemma cause you'd be able to show off your length some.

Chromis
August 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I have a veil but an not insisting on wearing it. If it happens to work for my hairstyle great! If not my dd has a new dress up accessory. And you're right- a half-up wouldn't look right with a halter. What about a few long tendrils? It will be inside so I don't have to worry about wind.

I think a couple of tendrils would likely be gorgeous!

chainedangel
August 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Some ideas bouncing around my head are
1: Braided sock bun with a few tendrils
2: Upside down dutch braid with the length bunned
3: the heart shaped bun I need to find a tutorial on
4: any other idea you all can come up with

Gumball
August 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
A friend of mine was going to her friend's wedding today and she stopped by to get her hair done beforehand. Her friend (the bride) and most of the bridesmaids were wearing their hair down or some style showing the length, so I gave her a half-up lace heart. It looked great and still shows off the length. Maybe that can work for you?

Oskimosa
August 10th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I also wanted to show some of my length on my wedding day. Here's some pictures from the wedding, you should be able to find different angles of my half-up. I made my stylist do a loose pincurl bun and leave the rest down.
http://www.pbase.com/vanwhite/rachel_sebastian_vanfav

Worked well for me, I think! But my dress was a different style, I wanted some length covering my shoulders. You have a halter top...

chainedangel
August 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
*bump* cuz I updated in the first post