PDA

View Full Version : an Egyptian thing..

DinaAG
August 23rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
well girls i was hesitated to publish that as it might feel weird, we here in Egypt do something that make our hair feels just great, we go to the butcher and ask him for bone marrow..we get it and go home put it on our hair and put a plastic cap over it for 2 hours or so then wash it, try that and you will see the difference!

RedheadMistress
August 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM
- Oh I wrote about something similar my mom does, she's Iranian and she puts bone marrow in the microwave so it's more liquid and puts it in her hair warm and her hair . . is aaamaazzzinng .
I haven't ever done it, it kinda grosses me out but I might let my mom do it next time I'm in my homecountry !

AcornMystic
August 23rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
That certainly is odd... The first thing I thought though is that it would be a form of a protein treatment. The protein that bone marrow must contain must be very rich. I know it is a phenomenal source of iron. I am curious to see hair that has undergone a bone marrow treatment, though I don't know if I could go that out there. Maybe if I were to see results. :p:D

TheMechaGinger
August 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Makes sense to me, I know bone marrow is a pretty fatty substance so if coconut oil is good for your hair bone marrow must be too. If I ever have the opportunity I will totally try that out :)

gnome82
August 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Wow I imagine that one's hair must feel and look amazing after that!!!! I don't think I'm brave enough to try it.

KwaveT
August 23rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
I would have so see that done on others before even entertaining this. I don't think I would be brave enough either.

Melisande
August 23rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
In Germany, there are quite a number of shampoos and treatments that contain bone marrow of horses (Pferdemark) - SwissOpar (http://www.dooyoo.de/haarpflege/swiss-o-par-pferdemark-shampoo/), Basler (http://www.basler-haarkosmetik.de/Rund-ums-Haar/Haarpflege-Shampoos/angegriffenes-Haar/Basler-Pferdemark-Kurshampoo.html), and other (http://haarhaus-ahaus.de/_cms/pages/BBborghorst/produkte/BB-pferdemark-shampoo.php)firms (http://www.amazon.de/dp/B002M43ZCC/?smid=A2QHT9B5NC2XR8&tag=mainseek-new-21&linkCode=asn&creative=6742&camp=1638&creativeASIN=B002M43ZCC&ascsubtag=XVcYkcG6dF2K9Va7EaNHhw)offer it. Dabur Vatika sells a deep treatment containing bone marrow - I bought it without noticing what it was (I'm a vegetarian) and was very much surprized by its wonderful effects (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/652).

I'm certain that this traditional treatment is good for the hair. There must be a reason that traditional Swiss, German, Iranian, Egyptian hair care relies on it.

Micayla47
August 23rd, 2012, 11:13 PM
that sounds gross, but thanks for sharing! i might have to try that one :)

piffyanne
August 24th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Oh, dear. I may have just been enabled, if I can only convince mom to pick it up next time she has time to run by the stores. She vetoed my "bring back some crisco, I'm going to make soap" because she thinks I won't have time for it. As if the time I spend on the LHC isn't elastic when it comes to doing things the LHC has enabled me to do. :eyeroll:

If only I had time to hit stores myself! :sob:

ladylowtide
August 24th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Mmmm... bone marrow is too yummy to waste on my head. I think I will take it internally :)

PolarCathy
August 24th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I've always found it very disgusting to eat, but I may very well put it on my head. I have used more disgusting things than that. ;)

AshleyTheRed
August 24th, 2012, 12:52 AM
That sounds kinda cool to try one of these days. Starting in the 1940's or 50's My grandmother used to go to the local funeral home, and get a small bottle of embalming fluid. She used as a clear coat on her fingernails to help them grow. Apparently this was very popular at one time. It's illegal in many places now though, because people would use the chemicals in the fluid for drugs.

kitekats
August 24th, 2012, 12:58 AM
That thing is too delicious to waste on hair;)

aspartame gram
August 24th, 2012, 02:56 AM
We Colombians use that too! My aunty told me about a recipe she uses. I, instead, used avocados because I didn't want to buy any meat. >.> I'm weird about that stuff. But yes! Apparently it works wonders on hair. :D

Natalia
August 24th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Id do it. But i think i might have a hard time finding it from non-bovine animals. I have a freaky and bad allery to all things cow including gelatin so im sure bone marrow would do me in. Somehow i dont think chicken marrow would be adaquate i have given that to my pets and it doesnt seem similar to bovine. I live near the sea in a pretty plain area getting buffalo meat when its in stock a few times a year is special.... Something to think on though

Othala
August 24th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I would do it but I have dogs....can you imagine what they would do if I had bone marrow on my head!

continuum88
August 24th, 2012, 06:24 AM
i remember my mum making homemade beef stock and how it's supposed to taste best cooking it with bones in and then my dad would always suck the bone marrow out of them. I know...it sounds disgusting but i was told it's meant to be good for you so I'm sure it would be amazing if you put it directly onto hair. I'm trying to picture myself doing it but the smell and just the thought of it on my hair would make me vomit.

continuum88
August 24th, 2012, 06:25 AM
i have a dog too...and a cat...and i can just picture him going crazy, desperately trying to lick my hair....yuck

3azza
August 24th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I have always encountered bone marrow based hair masks. I wonder how you handle the real stuff, raw? cooked? does it smell bad?

DinaAG
August 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM
its bearable, you warm it a little bit and put it in your hair/scalp

kitcatsmeow
August 24th, 2012, 06:22 PM
In Germany, there are quite a number of shampoos and treatments that contain bone marrow of horses (Pferdemark) - SwissOpar (http://www.dooyoo.de/haarpflege/swiss-o-par-pferdemark-shampoo/), Basler (http://www.basler-haarkosmetik.de/Rund-ums-Haar/Haarpflege-Shampoos/angegriffenes-Haar/Basler-Pferdemark-Kurshampoo.html), and other (http://haarhaus-ahaus.de/_cms/pages/BBborghorst/produkte/BB-pferdemark-shampoo.php)firms (http://www.amazon.de/dp/B002M43ZCC/?smid=A2QHT9B5NC2XR8&tag=mainseek-new-21&linkCode=asn&creative=6742&camp=1638&creativeASIN=B002M43ZCC&ascsubtag=XVcYkcG6dF2K9Va7EaNHhw)offer it. Dabur Vatika sells a deep treatment containing bone marrow - I bought it without noticing what it was (I'm a vegetarian) and was very much surprized by its wonderful effects (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/652).

I'm certain that this traditional treatment is good for the hair. There must be a reason that traditional Swiss, German, Iranian, Egyptian hair care relies on it.

OMG from horses?!?! :agape:

Chickens I could do. That's it. I haven't gotten brave enough to eat the bone marrow but I have been eating bone broth for my crohns. Supposed to be very healing and seems to help.

Unicorn
August 25th, 2012, 10:02 PM
The last time I had bone marrow, I got it from the remains of a roasted leg of lamb. I sliced off the tiny remaining bits of meat, scraped as much marrow out of the bone as I could then sauteed the bits of lamb. This was placed on top of a single egg omelette (only a dash of salt added) and rolled. Absolute heaven...

Errrm... hair... no I've never used it on my hair, I'm not sure I'd get it past the saucepan.

Unicorn

onlyforhim
August 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I badly want to try this and I am sure it works only thing the butcher will think I am doing magic or sth. Only last month I asked him for something in the lamb ( I dunno it's name in English) that is supposed to stop body hair growth the mote often you use it hmm but I will try it one day :)

RitaPG
August 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I haven't seen any around here, but in Brazil I know there are many many shampoos and treatments with bone marrow.
Something about the high fat or protein content in it, myabe? I don't know the contents of bone marrow.

TheWhiteRabbit
August 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
This is something that I want to try!

Othala
August 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM
The last time I had bone marrow, I got it from the remains of a roasted leg of lamb. I sliced off the tiny remaining bits of meat, scraped as much marrow out of the bone as I could then sauteed the bits of lamb. This was placed on top of a single egg omelette (only a dash of salt added) and rolled. Absolute heaven...

Mmmmmm...Unicorn....I have just had a rich dinner but you have my mouth watering again.

Sunny_side_up
August 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM
The above sounds yum, do enjoy marrow. Was chewing some soup ribs earlier;). As others have said it wouldn't make it to my hair, be in my tum!

spookyghost
August 27th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Well I was going to try this until posters said it probably is the protein making the hair so great. My hair hates protein:( Dang!

hermosamendoza
August 31st, 2012, 02:02 PM
interesting. does it smell though? that's my only concern. would i smell like meat? haha because I would seriously try this if it won't leave a smell on my hair

RileyJane
September 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM
i would totally try this. even though its kind of different from what we would use here, but hey if it works it works! :)

manderly
September 28th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Another vote for NOOOOOM, too yummy for my hair.

alyanna
September 29th, 2012, 03:06 AM
My sister-in-law was telling me about this bone marrow thing too! I don't know if I'd be able to handle it, but I'm sure it must be great for the hair.

Can't believe so many people on the thread are raving about the YUM factor :D

melusine963
September 29th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Mmmm... bone marrow is too yummy to waste on my head. I think I will take it internally :)

I think I'll join you in that. :)

Unicorn
September 29th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I've realised that I missed the most important aspect of my bone marrow omelette...

The meat is sauteed in the marrow, no other fats or oils needed... all that flavour just sucks right into the meat. I'm hoping to track some bone marrow down today.

:stirpot:

Has anyone else tried it on their hair? I'm not sure how it would work with locs. I have to be careful of any sort of build up or any bits getting trapped in the locs.

Unicorn