PDA

View Full Version : Extremely secure hairstyles for Krav Maga? Help needed!

Isilme
August 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
I need some ideas for very secure hairstyles for my first Krav Maga lesson Tuesday.
I don't think I'm allowed to wear a Ficcare or any hairpins. Preferably something that provides as little opportunity for someone to get a grip as possible. Currently my hair is between tailbone and classic.
Please help! I practically live in my Ficcares and hairsticks. I was thinking maybe I could do and english or french braid and tuck it under my t-shirt and loosely fasten it to one of my bra straps.

GrowingOut
August 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Fellow Krav learner here! An elastic bun might be good, but the bra strap idea seems good. We just learned basics, and no one was grabbing my braid.

kitekats
August 23rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Rose bun+hairpin

kitekats
August 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
We just learned basics, and no one was grabbing my braid.
I would like to see someone trying to do that on LHC members, for someone even lightly touching their hair they probably already have a reflex of knocking off the opponent off it's feet:D

Isilme
August 23rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Rose bun+hairpin
Can't use any hairpins unfortunately:( I may have to rely on that instinct *beat down that guy who touches my hair* ;)

GrowingOut
August 23rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
I would like to see someone trying to do that on LHC members, for someone even lightly touching their hair they probably already have a reflex of knocking off the opponent off it's feet:D

XD True True. I beat a girl who grabbed my hair once, and nearly ripped her weave out. ((Don't ask me why she thought fake was better then natural, but her hair is less than shoulder. You could tell easily.))

ravenreed
August 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
There was a thread quite awhile ago about someone who stayed with either Amish or Menonite folks, and she posted a pin free hairstyle involving braids, IIRC. Anyone else remember that thread?

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688) we go. I think she linked to pics and directions.

Can't use any hairpins unfortunately:( I may have to rely on that instinct *beat down that guy who touches my hair* ;)

Lize
August 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
I do aikido and I share this problem. I can't wear any jewelry or anything like that to classes either, but I have gotten away with using regular hair pins. (The small u-shaped ones that they sell everywhere) (How are they going to hurt anyone anyway?) But if you are not allowed to use them I understand. But I don't think anyone has even noticed I am wearing mine. This is what I do: I ponytail my hair with elastic, braid the ponytail and then I bun it making sure that as many of the hair pins as possible penetrate through the elastics so that they sit really secure. We do lots of falls and rolling and I have found a braid only to be extremely annoying plus damaging to the hair since people tend to put their knees on it during pins, accidentally pull it and so on. Also I have hit myself in the eye with it. :lol: Any bun I try to put up using only elastics will fall down in a matter of minutes.

Madora
August 23rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Would a lace crown braid work? You could weave in the last 4 inches or so through the braid already made, then anchor it in place by sewing it with a shoelace or a piece of yarn.

SuzQ
August 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
I am currently doing Krav Maga classes too! I usually put my hair in a ponytail with a soft seam-free elastic. My hair is only shoulder length so I am somewhat limited. Another style I may try for class is 2 dutch braids with the ends pinned up. I think 1-2 small hair pins should be OK for class.
The only time I have had hair problems in class was when we were practicing getting out of a head lock, my hair just would get messed up trying to get out of it. I have never had anyone grab my hair. There is a lady in my class with very long, very beautiful hair and she wears it in a pony tail.

kaydana
August 23rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Loepsie's interlaced braids are very secure, and I'm sure you could find a way to fasten the ends without pins (ribbon maybe?) if you needed to.

Alvrodul
August 23rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
You might consider looking into hair taping. That was actually my go-to style before I discovered LHC. Extremely secure, and no hairpins needed. The drawback is that it does take some time to do it up like that.

Isilme
August 24th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Hair taping and crown braid actually sounds like two neat ideas. I will have to practice on those. And here I was, thinking that there would be some simple style I hadn't thought about! Instead I have to venture out into unknown territory;)

MasCat
August 24th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Second vote for hair taping - no pins included and no tails to grab :)

Alvrodul
August 24th, 2012, 04:57 AM
And hair taping definitely lasts. I used to tape my hair up,and leave it that way for 2 or 3 days. :D

florenonite
August 24th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I practise karate and my go-to style is a diagonal Dutch braid (the hair around my face is less likely to fall out of that than an ordinary Dutch braid). Your hair is longer than mine, so perhaps you could braid it, then double the braid up and use a second elastic to secure it?

Another thing I've done in the past is tie my hair in a cinnabun with an elastic. You gather your hair into a ponytail and wrap the elastic around once, then twist the hair around in a one full revolution of a cinnabun (maybe two with longer hair), then wrap the elastic around again. You should have a decent tail, which you then twist and tuck into the elastic a couple of times. It's very secure, but the weight of it means it tends to pull at my scalp now that my hair's longer. It's something that might work if you do a Dutch/French braid first then bun at the nape, maybe?

Sagi1982
August 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Maybe a laced-up Dutch braid would work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO0u3G--sY4&list=UUzBwhk-p4es3mRRxmScszvg&index=6&feature=plcp

bluesnowflake
August 25th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I like to French braid mine and fold the end up in half- it leaves less tail to bounce around and feels secure

elea
August 25th, 2012, 10:59 PM
i started positionning for capoeira: interlacing works very well and taping looks good for shows.

favorite at the mo is a dutch braid with the tail going in and out of it (and back down here), then end tucked in.
my hair is layered, does not need even an elastic at the end.
it stays if it is not braided/waved in big chunks but in small ones.
my hair has alsorts of curls so it works when dry. one of my friends has to dampen it to make it work as her hair is straight and the strands do not "lock" into each other as well

have fun