PDA

View Full Version : Curly/wavy hair product suggestions

Julesn
August 8th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Hello!!

I wanted to see what you all use for curl definition. I was blowdrying w/a diffuser, but I don't want to do that at all anymore & would just prefer to airdry it. I currently use a product by Alterna called "texturizing glaze", but it has cetyl alcohol in it (I think it's the 3rd or 4th ingredient).

What have you all found success with?

Thanks!

Julie ;)

Forest
August 8th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I haven't settled for any product yet , but so far I think Mop Top gel and Alagio Crazy Curl Balm are two that have worked pretty well. But I think it is a hazzle that if you put anything in your hair it takes longer to become dry, really annoying.

Merkaba
August 8th, 2008, 07:21 AM
If you go to naturallycurly.com they have excellent suggestion for products to use on wavy and curly hair. Just be sure to identify what type of hair you have, some products weigh down fine curly hair.

curly girl fla
August 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Kinky Curly Curling Custard! But I do diffuse, it definitely will extended your drying time, and there is a "learning curve" with application. But it is very natural, and so worth the effort. I agree with the op, I live at nc.com-great people and information there :smile:

Honey39
August 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hello!!

I wanted to see what you all use for curl definition. I was blowdrying w/a diffuser, but I don't want to do that at all anymore & would just prefer to airdry it. I currently use a product by Alterna called "texturizing glaze", but it has cetyl alcohol in it (I think it's the 3rd or 4th ingredient).

What have you all found success with?

Thanks!

Julie ;)

I'm in the UK, so my product of choice is Boots Curl Creme - works like a total dream!

My new routine is that I CO every morning, stick my hair soaking wet in a micro-fibre turbie for 25 minutes, then gently comb out. Add product, scrunch upside down (8 times on each section!), flip back up the right way, arrange wet curls, and then DON'T TOUCH AGAIN!!! I have really thick hair, but the half hour in the turbie takes it to wet/damp, and it air dries in about two-three hours. I'm getting consistently good curls.

Oh, and I also sometimes scrunch out the curl when it's dry if it feels a bit 'crunchy' - but this is very gentle and in front of a mirror.

I tried Aloe Vera Gel today, but I think it's made me a bit greasy/flat - jury's out on that one!

shawngal
August 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I have had the best luck recently with a combo of Paul Mitchell's Super Sculpt Gel and Paul Mitchell's Thicken Up. But then again, I'm aiming for big curly hair. :)

I've also had extremely good luck with the following:

Jonathan Product Create Curl Curling Serum
Batia & Aleeza Bio-Mineral Gel
AG Re:Coil
Bioterra Styling Gel
Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper or it's drugstore equivalent KY Silk

Curlsgirl
August 8th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Kinky Curly Curling Custard! But I do diffuse, it definitely will extended your drying time, and there is a "learning curve" with application. But it is very natural, and so worth the effort. I agree with the op, I live at nc.com-great people and information there :smile:

Another KCCC fan!!! I only use anything when I am going to wear my hair down but I really like this stuff. I also like AG Re:coil and Jessicurl products and some cheap gels like LA Sports Gel and Pantene curl defining gel.

Julesn
August 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!

Julie :)

Nicole.Amina
August 8th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I've been using Proclaim gel with Aloe for about 4 years. I'm super low maintenance so I just plop some on, let it dry overnight, scrunch out the crunchiness and walk out the door. My one complaint: It sometimes doesn't hold up as well when it's humid, but being that its humid for only about 2 or 3 months out of the year where I live, I've learned to deal with it since its the best thing I've found for the cheapest price.

One day I might splurge and treat myself to some Kinky Curly Curling Custard......!

Nevermore
August 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I wash my hair as normal (WO, diluted CO, standard CO washing, whatever) and either airdry it most of the way and finger comb a small amount of conditioner thru, then bun damp and allow it to dry that way.

If I'm sleeping with clean hair, instead of washing in the morning, I mist then do the above. I get nice definition, without looking fake/product-y, this way.