PDA

View Full Version : What do you sleep with on/under your head?

MaryO
August 23rd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hi there!

I recently started posting and reading more and more and am doing an oiling toninght for th fist time! I was wondering what you use to protect your pillow from the oils? I put down a towel but am not appreciating the texture on my face, some kind of cap might be cool? What do you use?

(Apologies if this a addressed somewhere else!)

frogs
August 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
I use an old tshirt or a soft textured scarf (it feels like its less damaging to my hair than a towel, because the texture of a towel is kinda "rough"). i plan on getting a silk scarf though! Oiling has helped my hair loads and good luck with your first oiling! (and welcome to LHC!!)

HEY未来
August 23rd, 2012, 12:52 PM
I made a hair cap using old pillowcases.

nobeltonya
August 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
I generally oil a few hours before I go to bed, so it has time to soak. I also sleep with it in a spin pin bun, so I don't notice where it gets on the pillows/cases at all.. I just sleep with regular old pillow cases from Wal-Mart. Nothing fancy or particular. :disco:

Chanie
August 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
I have this plastic cap, i got in some haircolor i bought :) before i used a thin plastic bag or a towel, but i also thought the towel was kind of unpleasant

kitekats
August 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Nothing, that's why my towels and pillow cases look spooky;)

Messyhair
August 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
I've never oiled enough to be a problem, but I sleep with a satin pillowcase and satin sleep cap. I used to leave in a moisturizing conditioner at night and I had a dedicated shower cap to cover up with, and then I wrapped my pillowcase in a towel. Not the best, but it did the trick.

Madora
August 23rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
Don't oil myself. However, you could wrap your pillow in a cut down clean garbage bag, cover it with a pillowcase, then take a large bath towel and pin it around the whole pillow so that the towel doesn't slip.

dawnss
August 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Don't oil myself. However, you could wrap your pillow in a cut down clean garbage bag, cover it with a pillowcase, then take a large bath towel and pin it around the whole pillow so that the towel doesn't slip.

I would use a garbage bag as well, have you thought about applying less oil? You could also place a garbage bag or shower cap on your hair before you put a silk cap/scarf on. Beware though, this is a common deep conditioning technique that keeps moisture in your hair, so if your scalp sweats then this may be something you'll only want to do before you shampoo.

beautifulending
August 24th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I oil my hair for only a few hours but you could bun it and then sleep on a towel.

Asprettyasme
August 24th, 2012, 02:04 AM
#error

#An error occurred.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I usually shove a towel between my pillow case and the pillow(I just throw the pillow case in the wash the next day), I don't mind a towel and I would hate to sleep in a plastic cap bleh..You could buy a silk cap or a bandana could work too

Wildcat Diva
August 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I don't notice that the oil is enough to get on my pillowcase to do any damage. I am tending to do some oiling on the weekends when I can get away with a bit of greasy hair. Light oiling I guess. I use a silk pillowcase. I am using walnut oil, which feels very lightweight to me, but I can see it on my hands after I rub my hair.

see_turtle
August 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I just braid my hair and use a regular cotton pillowcase....I did buy a satin pillowcase and a sleep cap but did not notice a difference with the pillowcase and the cap looked silly and came off instantly.

kahuna
August 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'll sleep on a silk/satin sheet and pillowcase. I'm still waiting for my hair to be long enough to put into a loose braid and ponytail!

akilina
August 24th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I sleep on a satin pillow case. Real satin too <3:cloud9:
Half of the week I do scalp oiling with my castor oil mix. I usually just braid it up and sleep on it. No oily pillow case :]

I WISH I could sleep with a sleep cap on. Although, this would cause even more ridiculing from my dbf...and I already do a ton of "weird" things to my hair :) I gotta pick and choose the weird things though. I can't do it all!

Helix
August 24th, 2012, 09:27 PM
If I'm doing an overnight oiling? Those are rare for me, but I cover my oiled hair with a processing cap or grocery bag, (whichever is available), then a turbie twist on top of that. No stains on my pillow.

shutterpillar
August 24th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I only oil my ends, and then I braid it into a french braid so usually all of the oil is contained in the braid. I have never had any problems with it getting on my pillowcase.

I imagine a cap would work well... something that can be machine washed frequently.

spirals
August 25th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I haven't had any issues with oily pillowcases. I sleep with my hair loose.

katfemme89
August 25th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Top-of-head bun, high thread-count cotton pillowcase.

raej
August 26th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Last night I just bought a satin cap from Walgreens (if you're in the US). It was in the hair accessories section and was only a couple US dollars. Seems to work ok, and I think it breathes well!

CurlySasha
August 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I make a simple bun with all my hair, cover it in a shower cap, and then wrap an old t-shirt on my head! Triple protection and the t-shirt adds heat so that's a bonus ;)

jacqueline101
August 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I mix mine with water and mist over my entire length it keeps problems at bay.