PDA

View Full Version : Problems in bun country

Messyhair
August 23rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hey all! I never use anything but a bee-butt bun, but I know I need to change things up to prevent too much damage. I watched a few lazy wrap bun tutorials on YouTube today, but I can't get mine to turn out tight enough to stay put!!! I insert the sticks and take my fingers out, then the bun just falls out because there's so much room left where my fingers were!!!

Is this just something that improves with practice or am I doing something wrong?

kitekats
August 23rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
For me rose bun secured with a hairpin works the best:)

Anje
August 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
I have more luck with lazy wraps if I twist a bit at the beginning. Also, make sure you're not making the outer loop too big. You have to hit the right point based on how much bulk the middle of that bun has.

Starstece
August 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
I often go for a nautilus bun and it will hold with one stick for a whole day!

jacqueline101
August 23rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
I try to create my own hair styles. If I do a bun its a scrunchi bun.

Alvrodul
August 23rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
Any bun requires a bit of practice in order to get it right. If it's too loose, it ends up falling apart, if it's too tight, you'll probably get a headache from the tension. And finding that right tension takes a bit of a learning curve.

embee
August 23rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
I practiced by making a ponytail first and then doing the bun - the elastic gave the hairstick something to work against. After a while I no longer needed the elastic at all, haven't used one in years now.

nobeltonya
August 23rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Chinese bun is relatively easy, once you get the tension right. Also, I do my lazy wrap different than say isaetno on youtube [I could never get it to work like that...]. I hold it like a ponytail and wrap it behind and around my hand. I can get it like 4 times around now. I had found a video showing how to do it this way, but IDR which one it was now. :/

Madora
August 23rd, 2012, 03:05 PM
A sectioned approach when making buns made my bun updos a lot more comfortable, especially the double braided bun.

spirals
August 23rd, 2012, 05:37 PM
I can't figure out the lazy wrap. It's a misnomer. I like to do two buns in one in order to distribute the weight better, because even at MBL, I am getting headaches. Today I made a cinnabun with the top half of my hair and secured it with a stick horizontally. Then I wrapped the bottom half around the stick like a japanese bun. I secured that with a second stick, again horizontally. Another option would be side-by-side cinnabuns, secured with a stick running through both. Another stick could be added for support. I did a wrapped cinnabun the other night. I took the top half of hair and made a cinnabun. I then twisted the bottom half up like the beginning of a french twist and wrapped it up and over the little bun. It looks best with sticks or a clip, but could just be pinned. I like the orchid bun best, but it pulls and hurts if I make it with a stick, and my hair isn't long enough for the other method. Here's the wrapped bun. http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3629/08211420081.jpg The pic might be kind of dark, and please ignore the layers sticking out.

Messyhair
August 23rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
Many new buns to try... Do you have to use a ponytail holder in order to do a Chinese bun?

Wildcat Diva
August 23rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
I can do the Lazy Wrap!!! Bunnysaur taught me. I use only one finger to wrap because my hair is not yet APL. I had to start it higher up on my head. My hair length is only 19 inches.

It's kind of a mystery to me how inserting the stick in the loop in and out creates the look.

But, for what it's worth: I slide the loop off my finger, so that all that "extra hair" at the end is kind of in the center of the bun and the loop is just directly over my scalp hair, you know? Insert the stick into the loop, grab scalp hair, then turn the stick back, and into the center of the bun and under all that tail hair you tucked under. Feel with your fingers for the "exit ridge" and guide the stick there and out! I hope you can do it!
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3584/dscf09561.jpg

Ocelan
August 24th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I find that the lazy wrap bun holds best with a fork instead of a stick. A forked LWB is my go-to style among braids. :) I can't really describehow I do it or if I do it much differently than in the tutorials, but it's one of those buns where my layers don't bother me since they don't stick out of it the way they do in a cinnabun for example.

Alvrodul
August 24th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Many new buns to try... Do you have to use a ponytail holder in order to do a Chinese bun?
That's not necessary - I have at times made a Chinese bun by starting out beginning to make an English braid (just doing 3-4 crossovers, no more), inserting the stick through the base of the braid, dividing the hair into two pieces, and starting to wind the hair around the base of the braid.

MasCat
August 24th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I found that if I put the stick in on my index finger, take index finger out and then slide the stick out on my thumb, then I can adjust the tension easily.

I did a "secure" lazy wrap too, where after I put the stick in, took index finger out I actually twisted the loop left by thumb once (thus creating a figure 8) and then put the stick trhough it. The bun was different, but for me more solid. As I gained length I stopped doing that :)

julliams
August 24th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Definitely needs practice. It's amazing how the first few tries fail dismally but with practice you can do it right almost every time.

I just had to pop in and say how much your hair reminds me of my own. I thought we might be hair twins but I am more of a 2b.