PDA

View Full Version : Can you help a curl out? All 4 hair types on one head.

Luminaria
August 23rd, 2012, 01:16 AM
Hello fellow curlies and LHCers!
This is my first post on LHC! This site is soo cool and everyone seems friendly and helpful. I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Luminaria. I have many hair textures on my head. I have mostly curly hair and some kinky, wavy and straight textures too. I'd say I'm mostly 3c with 4a on the crown/ front. I have maybe 3b in the back and straight fine hair near my nape, I have silky slightly wavy hair on the sides. So I'm basically all in one. I used to straighten my hair ( flat iron and chemically), but I stopped because it made my hair thin out. So, I decided to wear my natural textures. I cut my hair to about 2" below my ears in January and now it's at my collarbone. I'm no poo and I wash every 6-8 days. I've hennaed before too. It's pretty tough to manage my hair. It's dry, frizzy, and puffy. It has many single strand knots too. I want to grow it long and healthy, so please give me advice about these areas:

-effective no poo routine for dry curly hair
-trimming hair for growth
-eliminating frizz
-short curly hairstyles
-preventing/removing single strand knots
-how often to wash hair
-rinsing hair with water only between showers
-rethickening thinning hair
-improving hair growth
-easy hair routine

Also, any other tips you might have would help. Thanks and nice to meet you! :)

Arakazi
August 23rd, 2012, 01:38 AM
Check out some of the curly threads and there will be heaps of cool advice on there I am sure :D

I have very very different hair from you so I'm not sure how much help I can be. But I could say that you should give your hair a clarify with baking soda and shampoo and then an SMT (4parts conditioner, 1part aloe vera, 1part melted honey). A deep treatment always makes my hair feel lovely!

Luminaria
August 23rd, 2012, 01:53 AM
Check out some of the curly threads and there will be heaps of cool advice on there I am sure :D

I have very very different hair from you so I'm not sure how much help I can be. But I could say that you should give your hair a clarify with baking soda and shampoo and then an SMT (4parts conditioner, 1part aloe vera, 1part melted honey). A deep treatment always makes my hair feel lovely!

OK, I'll check it out! Thanks!!

torrilin
August 23rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
For hair washing, I think the advice is the same for everyone... as little as possible. But someone with straight hair and an oily scalp will have a lot shorter possible interval than me with straight hair and a dry scalp. And some posters on here do routines where there's no water washing at all.

People here range from shampoo only, on through a bunch of shampoo and conditioner orders and options, to conditioner only washing, water only washing of a couple sorts, and no water/sebum only options. There isn't really one uniform routine for handling hair, on pretty much any of your questions.

Also, keep in mind growing hair is a gradual process. What works for you now may not be the same as what works for you in a year. A lot of posters find that as they stick with a change for handling their hair more gently, stuff that used to be impossible becomes possible.