PDA

View Full Version : fruits/vegetables for hair growth

MissPetite2010
August 22nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Any opinions on the best fruit or vegetable for hair growth? Or a balance of all. Always wondered what the top fruit or vegetable would be. It sparked my interest. :)

akilina
August 22nd, 2012, 11:04 PM
I heard cucumbers are high in silica :)

*I would do a google search! *

http://www.livestrong.com/article/318584-fruits-vegetables-for-hair-growth/

Here is a nice link :D

MissPetite2010
August 22nd, 2012, 11:05 PM
I heard cucumbers are high in silica :)

*I would do a google search! *

http://www.livestrong.com/article/318584-fruits-vegetables-for-hair-growth/

Here is a nice link :D

thank you :)

renia22
August 22nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Spinach would probably be a really good one

MissPetite2010
August 22nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Spinach would probably be a really good one

yeah. :) just read the article. spinach has lots of iron that body needs to grow hair. helps with blood circulation to promote hair growth too. I do like the spinach leaves. Not the canned spinach.

renia22
August 22nd, 2012, 11:20 PM
yeah. :) just read the article. spinach has lots of iron that body needs to grow hair. helps with blood circulation to promote hair growth too. I do like the spinach leaves. Not the canned spinach.

Do you like spinach salad? It's good with turkey bacon & a chopped hard-boiled egg. Yum!

akilina
August 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
Cauliflower and bananas naturally supply Biotin!
Which is great. I don't even like taking biotin supplements really, and especially don't like to hear when people are overdosing themselves on it.
The daily recommendation of biotin is only 300 MCG, according to my vitamin bottle. I do not believe they lie. I can not believe that some people are taking 10,000 mcg a day, and trying to "up their tolerance"

I am also reading carrots are good, as is flaxseed (although not a fruit or veggie), as well as dark berries.

akilina
August 22nd, 2012, 11:25 PM
"One red bell pepper contains more vitamin C than a cup of orange juice" (raw)

I also believe, no matter WHAT fruit or veggie you are eating, as long as it is nutritious, it is helping you grow your hair healthy from the inside out :]

MissPetite2010
August 22nd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Do you like spinach salad? It's good with turkey bacon & a chopped hard-boiled egg. Yum!

yeah, i've had it a few times. another good one, when i used to be on the hcg diet was an apple and celery salad. i know some people don't care for celery that much, but with the apples diced up in it. makes it taste better. although I do like celery. celery is made up of mostly water. and water is good for hair, so why not!?! thanks for the tip :)

renia22
August 22nd, 2012, 11:37 PM
yeah, i've had it a few times. another good one, when i used to be on the hcg diet was an apple and celery salad. i know some people don't care for celery that much, but with the apples diced up in it. makes it taste better. although I do like celery. celery is made up of mostly water. and water is good for hair, so why not!?! thanks for the tip :)

Me too! I actually love celery!

MissPetite2010
August 22nd, 2012, 11:38 PM
"One red bell pepper contains more vitamin C than a cup of orange juice" (raw)

I also believe, no matter WHAT fruit or veggie you are eating, as long as it is nutritious, it is helping you grow your hair healthy from the inside out :]

very true! although I've had some hair days, that i could've sworn my hair would've gone off on me if it could. lol I love green peppers. Sounds crazy, but I've eaten frozen peppers. Actually there not all the way frozen, just make them real cold in freezer, put in ziploc bag, then sit out for a minute or two, and then bite into the slices. Kinda melts in mouth. Ooh, i'll have to go shopping. Thank you. hehe Been a while since I've ate red peppers.

MissPetite2010
August 22nd, 2012, 11:46 PM
Which is great. I don't even like taking biotin supplements really, and especially don't like to hear when people are overdosing themselves on it.
The daily recommendation of biotin is only 300 MCG, according to my vitamin bottle. I do not believe they lie. I can not believe that some people are taking 10,000 mcg a day, and trying to "up their tolerance"

I am also reading carrots are good, as is flaxseed (although not a fruit or veggie), as well as dark berries.

Unless it's a myth, wouldn't too much cause more harm than good? Similar to hearing people say that taking too much of one vitamin isn't healthy. To each their own, but I agree. I'd be afraid that my hair would start falling out, or shedding more than what it already does. I love carrots. I try eating them raw. Although not raw, love blueberry yogurt. And I drink homemade blueberry/strawberry smoothies. Makes me want one now. yum. lol :D

lionessmane
August 23rd, 2012, 12:59 AM
Hi,

I think the number one vegetable for hair growth is raw kale. One cup of kale has more than your daily value of Vitamin C, A and K.

I'm totally into raw stuff, I think that it's the best for you, although it takes getting used to.

Also, oranges, papaya, mangoes, cucumbers,pineapple,tomatoes,loquats,coconuts,raw broccoli, amaranth seeds(a grain), sunflower seeds for Vitamin E...

I want to say that I think getting enough of the right kind of calcium is very important for growing hair. 1/2 cup of sesame seeds that have been ground super fine in a coffee grinder gives you about 100% of your daily value of good calcium, or calcium orotate, which is the most bioavailable form of calcium at 95-99%. I'm no nutritionist, but I have done my research.

Allychan
August 23rd, 2012, 01:40 AM
Acai berries

Othala
August 23rd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Seaweed - full of minerals and reputedly excellent for promoting hair growth.

MissPetite2010
August 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Hi,

I think the number one vegetable for hair growth is raw kale. One cup of kale has more than your daily value of Vitamin C, A and K.

I'm totally into raw stuff, I think that it's the best for you, although it takes getting used to.

Also, oranges, papaya, mangoes, cucumbers,pineapple,tomatoes,loquats,coconuts,raw broccoli, amaranth seeds(a grain), sunflower seeds for Vitamin E...

I want to say that I think getting enough of the right kind of calcium is very important for growing hair. 1/2 cup of sesame seeds that have been ground super fine in a coffee grinder gives you about 100% of your daily value of good calcium, or calcium orotate, which is the most bioavailable form of calcium at 95-99%. I'm no nutritionist, but I have done my research.

I'll have to check it out. Never tried kale. I'll check into it. thanks for the tip :)

KittyBird
August 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Interesting thread, I'm subscribing! Suddenly I got an urge to eat all these things every day, except for celery. Just thinking about celery makes me shudder :p

MissPetite2010
August 23rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
Interesting thread, I'm subscribing! Suddenly I got an urge to eat all these things every day, except for celery. Just thinking about celery makes me shudder :p

aww, what about the celery with peanut butter? Good source of protein. :)

MissPetite2010
August 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Seaweed - full of minerals and reputedly excellent for promoting hair growth.

never tried seaweed. interesting though. May try small taste, but not sure if the grocery store where i live sells it. Do they sell it at whole food stores?

MissPetite2010
August 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Just googled more info. Brown Short-Grain Rice
You should have complex carbohydrates, which feed you energy over a longer period of time than refined carbohydrates, with your protein source at meals. Brown short-grain rice is an ideal form. It's also a good source of B vitamins and some fiber.Bacon
Although it's not a good food to eat if you're trying to lose weight, Kingsley recommends eating a normal serving of bacon for extra B vitamins, zinc, and protein. It's on the article 6 super foods for healthy hair. Thought this was interesting, because these foods give ya the extra protein and b vitamins for hair growth. :)

jojo
August 23rd, 2012, 01:09 PM
Goodo I've just eaten a large spinach salad with cucumber, beet root, onion and cheese , with a huge fresh fruit salad........visualising my little yet to pop out of their follicles baby hairs licking there lips and stretching there little pointed heads towards the light lol!

WickedLady
August 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM

I heard too much vitamin A could result to a cause of shedding.

WickedLady
August 23rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Too much of anything can be either good or bad.

MissPetite2010
August 23rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Goodo I've just eaten a large spinach salad with cucumber, beet root, onion and cheese , with a huge fresh fruit salad........visualising my little yet to pop out of their follicles baby hairs licking there lips and stretching there little pointed heads towards the light lol!

as they sing,"watch as we grow, where we stop no one knows!" lol Sounds good. :) I've got some left over carrots and celery that I may eat together as a snack later. :)

kitekats
August 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Heading to my kitchen after bananas;)

louzen
August 23rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
I took an interest in this a while back and looked into specific fruit/vegetables and foods that can accelerate hair growth. These are the ones that stood out from my research:

Fruit/Veg

* Cauliflower - Contains sulphur
* Brussels sprouts - Contains sulphur
* Carrots - Contains plentiful vitamin K
* Cucumber - Contains silicon and sulphur
* Alfafa - Contains vitamin B2, B5, and folic acid.
* Spinach - Contains iron

Other

* Pumpkin seeds - High in zinc. Many people swear eating pumpkin seeds every day helps with hair thinning
* Eggs - Contain zinc, biotin and sulphur amongst many other things
* Garlic - Contains sulphur
* Cayenne Pepper - Increases blood circulation to scalp
* Gingko Biloba - Increases blood circulation to scalp
* Nettle tea - Contains plenty of vitamins and minerals including iron

I've been taking most of these every day and have definitely noticed new hairs growing :) Although, I've also been oiling with emu oil so that could also be playing a major part.

Clytemnestra
August 23rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
I've been meaning to pull my juicer out of the cupboard, this thread is a good impetus, thanks for all the info.

MissPetite2010
August 23rd, 2012, 02:45 PM
I took an interest in this a while back and looked into specific fruit/vegetables and foods that can accelerate hair growth. These are the ones that stood out from my research:

Fruit/Veg

* Cauliflower - Contains sulphur
* Brussels sprouts - Contains sulphur
* Carrots - Contains plentiful vitamin K
* Cucumber - Contains silicon and sulphur
* Alfafa - Contains vitamin B2, B5, and folic acid.
* Spinach - Contains iron

Other

* Pumpkin seeds - High in zinc. Many people swear eating pumpkin seeds every day helps with hair thinning
* Eggs - Contain zinc, biotin and sulphur amongst many other things
* Garlic - Contains sulphur
* Cayenne Pepper - Increases blood circulation to scalp
* Gingko Biloba - Increases blood circulation to scalp
* Nettle tea - Contains plenty of vitamins and minerals including iron

I've been taking most of these every day and have definitely noticed new hairs growing :) Although, I've also been oiling with emu oil so that could also be playing a major part.

Definitely a lot of helpful tips. Surprised there's still some fruits and veggies out there that I haven't tried. I know it's definitely good for most veggies to be eaten raw, but there are some that gets more of a beneficial value when cooked. :)

jojo
August 23rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
as they sing,"watch as we grow, where we stop no one knows!" lol Sounds good. :) I've got some left over carrots and celery that I may eat together as a snack later. :)

LOL!!! Sounds like a good p,an!!!:D

renia22
August 23rd, 2012, 04:26 PM

It can be scary. Too much can be just as bad as not enough. I do take some supplements (though I cut back), but seriously, you have to be like Sherlock Holmes to weed out which ones may be full of binders, fillers, potential allergens, etc. and figure out which ones are good (and if you even really need them). I found a couple that I really like (Naturopath recommended), but of course they are expensive.

Also, anyone see the Dateline on "Total Body Formula", the supplement that was being sold at GNC and turned out to be contaminated, and what happened to those poor people who were taking it? Scary indeed!