PDA

View Full Version : Curly hair and buns

Sookie
August 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
I used to let my hair air dry, then comb it and put it in a bun. But combing my curls caused damage to my hair so i stopped doing it and i let it loose. I noticed now that i have healthier hair. But i still want to wear it in a bun. I like them so much!
I also tried to bun it while it's wet but it takes forever to dry due to it's low porosity. One day isn't enough. :(
So how do you curlies manage to keep it in a bun without causing damage? What's your favorite hairstyle? Btw do you braid?

PrincessIdril
August 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
I wear my hair in a bun most days and I haven't noticed it causing any damage. I don't actually comb my hair unless it's wet as my hair hates being combed dry causes a lot of breakage! So I brush it which my hair does prefer. Perhaps you could try that, or look at the way you were combing you hair?
Perhaps change the way you secure a bun, swap hair elastics and pins for sticks for example. (Don't get me wrong, I still use pins to fasten my hair, I'm just a lot more careful with them that I used to be!) Using more hair friendly methods of fastening will lower your chances of damaging it.

And yes I braid, every night when I go to bed I take out the bun and swap it for an english braid. I'm not that bothered about disrupting my curl pattern though.

CurlyCap
August 22nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
I used to let my hair air dry, then comb it and put it in a bun. But combing my curls caused damage to my hair so i stopped doing it and i let it loose. I noticed now that i have healthier hair. But i still want to wear it in a bun. I like them so much!
I also tried to bun it while it's wet but it takes forever to dry due to it's low porosity. One day isn't enough. :(
So how do you curlies manage to keep it in a bun without causing damage? What's your favorite hairstyle? Btw do you braid?

Bun while dry and curly...just realize how much more length you're going to need for even simple buns.

Or bun while damp and know that it won't really dry. For this reason I don't bun while sopping wet. It'll be wet for days. But I will towel dry most of the water out and then bun it while it's still...amenable...to change. However, I know my bun will still be slightly damp when I take it out in the evening.

Or (and I rarely do this), heavily oil and brush your hair out. The hair will hold it's "oiled" conformation for days and be amenable to updos and such. A lot of curlies I know had their hair oiled and braided every day as kids. It just made it easier for our parents to work with. It's a look that has a tendency to go frizzy though.

Kiwiwi
August 22nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
I brush it with my tangle teezer after my shower. Put a tiny bit of argan oil in it. And then either braid it or put it up. It will indeed stay wet for a day or more if I don't let it loose.
So what I do is, after a few hours (this varies very much) I take it out. I comb it (it's easy then!) and let it hang for about 15 minutes. Going through it with my fingers from time to time. Then it has dried a bit more if not completely. And I put it up again. And I will likely repeat this a few hours later. And before I go to bed. I sleep in two pigtail braids most of the time.

Have done this forever and it doesn't cause damage to my hair :)

RedheadMistress
August 22nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
- I stopped using my hairbrush and comb and instead just fingercomb in the shower and sometimes when I'm bored when it's dry.
Usually I bun it when it's wet and then let it loose when it's half dry after a few hours, mainly because it makes it look more wavy that way instead of my curly chaos everywhere :D

Also from keeping my hair up most of the time, I don't like when it's down and touching my back (yay it's almost BSL !) and I constantly worry about damaging it by having it loose . .

earthnut
August 22nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Loose buns or any other loose updo is wave/curl-friendly. They can look more messy, but they are just as protective for growing. I braid my hair too.

As far as drying time, plopping my hair both encourages my curls and reduces drying time, especially if I wear it in a plop overnight.

Sookie
August 23rd, 2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the answers! I think i am gonna wear curly buns :D I will be very carefull not to ruin my curl pattern

Natalia
August 23rd, 2012, 03:24 AM
Im not a curly but i think loose buns on curlies looks fantastic. the texture just gives them that great romantic quality :) no need to brush.