PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: slightly fine, slightly dry, blonde way hair help

Meow78
August 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I'm hoping to find help from someone with similar hair. Here's what I've been doing so far based on great posts from all you veterans. My hair is apl or bsl and I always blow dry and smoothed my less then smooth ends with an iron. I've felt the need to smooth the ends as they tend to look dry and this helps so much. My hairs not thin just fine. I am a natural blonde who's gone slightly dishwater blonde over the years. Blow dryer = pin straight easily, air dry = wavy, effort = strong wavy/ curly. So I've given up blow drying and ironing, I'm working on the hot water since I love hot showers, I've used Nixon for years and love it but now only wash every other day cwc style using Nixon at roots only with scalp therapy and Shea butter raw conditioner which has oils in it as my main conditioner. I have learned prior that moroccan oil seems to destroy my hair. I think I'm cone sensitive too, Nixon is the only thing that has every made my hair seem strong and I think it's cone free maybe that's why. I know there's cone lovers but I think my hair is anticone. Ive never been a brusher as my hair doesn't tangle, wheni was younger and permed I got into the habit of a pic after shower and nothing else and have stuck with it even though I don't perm. I have decided this is okay since I use olive oil on my hair ends now in between washes and Shea during washes rinsed out. Is this right? Since I have fine hair not brushing seems to make sense so long as I'm oiling? Can oil build up damage hair? I haven't felt a need to clarify but is it a good thing to do or more about appearance? I bout a bb but again figure since I don't tangle and I oil my hair with hands I'm good? Any advice would be great. Oh I also use Cpap so I need to get a silk Bonnet that will let my hair hang below my straps so advice would be great there too. I found an awesome satin long one at the store but it's satin (read silks better) and it gets hot. My hair is looking so healthy just by doing these changes for 2 weeks. Thanks for all the posts!

dawnss
August 22nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Well that sounds really good. I think that you should type up your current routine. Why did you buy a bb? I know that many people use them to help distribute oils to their hair's ends. Olive oil and shea butter are pretty heavy and I know that for some people they can really weigh down their hair and cause build up. Even with my type four hair, olive oil does weigh it down.

Have you considered using lighter hair oils like sweet almond, coconut, grapeseed, or jojoba to oil with daily and then just using the heavier ones for deep conditioning or pre pooing? What are you doing so that your hair does not get tangled, it seems like it is working?

I do not know if buildup can cause damage to one's hair, but just pay attention to your hair, like you already are! You can still brush fine hair, you just have to be gentle. If you find that the olive oil or shea butter is too heavy I would add it to your conditioner, shampoo, or both. Also look into oiling, it might be of some use to your hair.

Do you have anymore questions, there are some wonderful women and men on this forum who can really offer you help.

Meow78
August 22nd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks! I bout the bb brush before doing research then realized maybe I don't need it. The olive oil i put on the night before my wash day just to give it a boost of moisture. The Shea I'm rinsing out and only applying to the length of hair on my scalp I use just the scalp therapy and/or a sulfate, cone free conditioner. I tried Shea on scalp once and was way to oily on top. My hair just has never tangled so long as I use conditioner it just never has I'm not sure why. It's funny I never realized tangles were such an issue for people until coming to this forum. I have 3 daughters who don't really tangle either, well 1 does but she's curly q. I do have minor tangles in the morning but they finger out easily. thanks for responding I was beginning to worry maybe I said something wrong lol. By oiling what do you mean brushing it through or is this something is? I barely put any on my hands and wipe it through my ends is all then go to sleep and cwc the next day. I have some cat I spray in occasionally too for protein. Thanks for the info. I mainly wanted to make sure I was covering my basis, and if there was anything else I should be doing. My main concern was if clarifying is a must, I was worried leaving all this oil, wax, butter on my hair would cause a damaging buildup.

Stephichan
August 22nd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Just a few things of note:
-Boar bristle brush (I assume this is what you were talking about) is not intended for detangling. It's intended just to distribute oils (natural from your scalp or otherwise) through your hair and to increase shine. So when you oil, I would suggest following with the brush, but that's up to you.
-Oils: when my hair was long enough I used a bit of sweet almond oil every night on the tassle of my braids. Just a small drop or two, massaged it into the ends and then popped over to bed. Many on here swear by coconut oil and jojoba oil, but I personally have not tried them yet.

My main advice is to just read, read, read, and then read some more. Learn different tricks and tips. Most importantly (after reading): don't go crazy trying too many things too soon. Take your time and absorb the things you read and the things you do try. The articles portion of this site is a wonderful place to begin. There's even an article just for newbies, which I still refer to on occasion.

I hope I wasn't too redundant, good luck, and welcome to the community :D

dawnss
August 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Stephichan has really great basic info about oiling and the use of a boar bristle brush. I second her suggestion that you just read. I do not think that buildup is damaging, but I do know that oil can cause buildup which can lead to tangles. One good thing is that you use olive oil (which can actually penetrate into the hair, whereas most hair oils including shea butter tend to just sit on top of the hair). I would keep using conditioner to prevent tangles. It sounds like your hair is manageable, so keep up the good work! Any other concerns you have, just keep asking and someone will respond.

Your post was worded fine.

Meow78
August 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much!

blondie9912
August 22nd, 2012, 10:49 PM
I have very similar hair to yours (albeit less wavy) and one GREAT way to smooth it down is by wrapping a silk scarf as a turban on your head overnight. Your hair will be 1b or so after doing this, so it's a great alternative to straightening :)

dawnss
August 22nd, 2012, 10:58 PM
Oh yeah I second wrapping your hair with a silk scarf.

palaeoqueen
August 23rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Your hair sounds very similar to mine. I'm also blonde although growing out bleach damage too. Have you tried argan oil? I love it and am getting very good results for my dry ends when I apply just a tiny amount to dry hair.

Meow78
August 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
I wear a Cpap so I can't turban :(. I am shopping for a silk bonnet, maybe I can find a way yo use a silk scarf under my straps somehow. Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming :)

julliams
August 24th, 2012, 03:37 AM
May I suggest doing deep treatments once (or even twice) a week? Doing either an SMT (basically 1 part Aloe Gel - no alcohol, 1 part honey and 4 parts conefree condish. Mix it up and nuke it in the microwave to wipe out the honey's ability to lighten hair. Put on hair and cover with a hot towel or heatcap for up to an hour) or coconut milk soak (light coconut milk through your hair for up to an hour, then wash and condition as normal.

I found that it look a good couple of months of doing this to get my ends moisturised. Plus more recently my ends were really dry and I was going to cut but doing a few of these treatments made all the difference. I ended up cutting anyway but I didn't need to.

You can use your oils to seal the ends when still wet. This will seal in the moisture you just put in.