PDA

View Full Version : Ann Harding's hair advice -- from 1927

brave
August 22nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
Taken from 1927 issues of the Ladies Home Journal (http://www.1920-30.com/fashion/1927-hairstyles.html).
I thought this was a pretty fascinating article. Not surprisingly quite a bit of her advice jives with LHC methods. What I found particularly spot on was this:

I like long hair because it means variety
and

Some of the most striking women one meets are women with prematurely gray hair who have had fine enough taste to make the most of this so-called misfortune. They look as dignified and charming as ladies out of an eighteenth-century court. Gray hair brings out all the delicate tones in the skin. It is striking, it is beautiful, it is never obviously artificial, as dyed hair almost always is.

I don't think I'm likely to go out of my way to use soap and soft water (although if I had the easy option I would consider it!) but I thought this article was pretty interesting.

akilina
August 22nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
How cool!
As A hairdresser, I love this stuff!
My great grandmother was a hairdresser, I never met her though...She was also a seamstress, and a nurse. It seems she was all for variety- I feel that way too...lately while I love my career...I am seeking something else.

She has a trunk FULL of stuff! It is so awesome to me. The best though is all the magazines she has from an older time. They range over a few decades. It is really fun to read them and see the simpleness of their hair routines, and random home remedies for hair ailments. Also, the hair styles are wild! They are no where near as old as the 20s, but they are from the 50s and 60s.

Madora
August 22nd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Very interesting!

Ann Harding had gorgeous hair that she usually wore in a low bun. She was always so striking with that beautiful hair of hers..a real rarity when the fashion was to cut hair short.

Thanks for sharing!

link to Ann harding pic: http://community.flixster.com/photos/ann-harding-holiday1930-ann-harding-in-holiday-13635419

missketi
August 22nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
This is great. Thank you for posting this. Maybe she encouraged some women to embrace their gray hair. Or to grew their hair long. At least she impressed me with those wonderfull words.

jacqueline101
August 22nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
Wow this is interesting. I do like this thread a lot.

dawnss
August 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
That was a pretty cool read. Thanks!

kitekats
August 22nd, 2012, 02:27 PM
Love the ending phrase:)

waywardgypsy
August 22nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
After having my hair short for the last 7 years, I totally agree with long hair meaning more variety. It also means less "work" because there's no requirement to style your hair daily.

Thanks for sharing this article! :) I might have to try the water wave idea...

Clytemnestra
August 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
She had beautiful hair, I copy her two low side buns style all the time...cool article, thanks!

embee
August 22nd, 2012, 03:25 PM
link to Ann harding pic: http://community.flixster.com/photos/ann-harding-holiday1930-ann-harding-in-holiday-13635419

Oh my, how I wish I could wear my hair like that. but my hair is thin and my ears stick out just enough to stick through the hair. So sad.

That was a fine article. She was so right about gray hair. :) And long hair for variety.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
I really find that quotation about gray hair so inspiring! I am having a bit of discouragement while growing in my grays at the moment - am at that awkward stage where it looks as if I am too lazy to dye my hair. But I do love the way the silvers look against my skin!

Nedertane
August 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
"If my hair were the fine, slithery sort that's always coming down I'd bob it".

Sheesh. Thanks for making what's basically my hair sound negative, Ann Harding. :p I support her notion on greys though, especially the comparison to 18th century court ladies!

HylianGirl
August 22nd, 2012, 04:22 PM
That was really interesting, thanks for sharing the link!

earthnut
August 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Gray hair was very fashionable in the 1700's. See (http://lamodeillustree.livejournal.com/63767.html?nojs=1)? :D

bekstamonkey
August 22nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
I ADORE grey hair, I've always thought it looks just so elegant, and have seen some older women who have streaks of grey, and just can't stop staring at how lovely it looks! :D

brave
August 22nd, 2012, 06:15 PM
"If my hair were the fine, slithery sort that's always coming down I'd bob it".

Sheesh. Thanks for making what's basically my hair sound negative, Ann Harding. :p I support her notion on greys though, especially the comparison to 18th century court ladies!

I know! I thought that was a bit much. We have plenty of slithery haired folks that make long hair work. And it looks so fantastic down.

ratgirldjh
August 22nd, 2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks I love this :)

starry
August 22nd, 2012, 07:28 PM
excellent- I Wish I had grey hair.. I think its so cool. Yes I think dyed hair can be aging! I agree.

Arden
August 22nd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Love this...

because it's vintage
because people communicated so much more elloquently
because it has some very nice points
because I am obsessed with hair........ LOL

The gray bit I very much appriciate as I have been going grey since in my early 20's.... I stopped dying by my later 20's and have not looked back

I agree that short hair is boring... unless you really like dye.... wild styles and lots and lots of dyes... but if you arnt so adventurous.. bore city...

I kept my hair in wild flavors of punkish styles for well over 10 years... then decided to grow it out and never looked back... cause once you have to deal with that ugly awkard cant do anything with it phase.... well you just really never want to do it again... LOL

Thank you so much for this... very nice

FrozenBritannia
August 22nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Very cool article!! i might have to try that hot towel bit :)

blondie9912
August 22nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
Neat article! I love reading about vintage hair care.