PDA

View Full Version : Natural ways to grow hair quickly

legendya
August 22nd, 2012, 12:56 AM
Hello!
I would like to know some tips and tricks that can help boost hair growth. My curly hair grows sluggishly. I never had really long hair, so please give me some advice on how you grew it long or maintain it at such lengths. Thanks!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 22nd, 2012, 12:59 AM
Maybe scalp massage - (gentle) and lots of patience. And a healthy diet.

legendya
August 22nd, 2012, 01:03 AM
Maybe scalp massage - (gentle) and lots of patience. And a healthy diet.

I used to do scalp massages. I think it was best to to bend downwards. Thanks for reminding me. I could always work on my diet too....

jojo
August 22nd, 2012, 01:06 AM
Patience really is the only key, many myself included have had success with monistat, there's a huge thread on it.

Really though your just better off just letting it do it's thing, curly hair does tend to take longer as the curls cause shrinkage. I'm more a wavy, which is gradually getting straighter as it gets longer. Hang in there your hair will grow if you allow it and don't get scissor happy with your hair! Moisture is the key too with curly hair as it tends to be more drier than straighter hair.

Geneva99
August 22nd, 2012, 01:10 AM
Take a vitamin supplement if you feel like it might provide you with vitamins that you might not get from your food, and make sure to eat as healthy as possible. And patience.......loads o' patience. My hair when wet is at hip, but when dry because of my curls it looks barely at waist.

legendya
August 22nd, 2012, 01:19 AM
Patience really is the only key, many myself included have had success with monistat, there's a huge thread on it.

Really though your just better off just letting it do it's thing, curly hair does tend to take longer as the curls cause shrinkage. I'm more a wavy, which is gradually getting straighter as it gets longer. Hang in there your hair will grow if you allow it and don't get scissor happy with your hair! Moisture is the key too with curly hair as it tends to be more drier than straighter hair.

When should one trim hair? How can you cut it without straightening? Should I spray water on it daily?

legendya
August 22nd, 2012, 01:22 AM
Take a vitamin supplement if you feel like it might provide you with vitamins that you might not get from your food, and make sure to eat as healthy as possible. And patience.......loads o' patience. My hair when wet is at hip, but when dry because of my curls it looks barely at waist.

I'm glad to hear that it's possible to have long curly hair. :) I haven't seen many unfortunately, but it sure gives me hope. I'm taking some vitamins.

Avital88
August 22nd, 2012, 01:47 AM
i know many long haired curlies, it takes a bit longer to grow out but patience is the key for growing out hair...drink a lot of water, sleep enough, avoid stress,work out! my hair grows double its rate when i work out hard a few times a week..
Avoid over shampooing, and dont cut it!In the beginning when i started growing my rules where
No trimming for 6,9 or 12 months
Shampoo only twice a week
No heat
Multi vit

With this you should come quite far already,it helped me grow to waist

Avital88
August 22nd, 2012, 01:50 AM
And how curly is yours exactly? i am a 3a and my hair is at tailbone, my daughter has 3c hair and is growing out hers too,she had a short bob last summer and was shoulder wet, now she is almost apl and waist wet.

Geneva99
August 22nd, 2012, 01:59 AM
I'm glad to hear that it's possible to have long curly hair. I haven't seen many unfortunately, but it sure gives me hope. I'm taking some vitamins.

Yes you can, it will just take a while. My hair when from barely shoulder length (when straightened... I had it cut for my birthday a few years back) to now three years later being what it is now. I'm sorry I don't have a pic to show yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to upload pics and move around the forum. :(

@Avital88, what kind of workout routine do you follow? How much growth do you get with exercise? I'm training for a half marathon next year and I'm mixing my runs with workouts for the Spartan Race and a few DVD's that are pretty hardcore. If I can prepare for a 1/2 and have my hair grow at the same time, that would be awesome!!!! :):):):)

legendya
August 22nd, 2012, 02:00 AM
i know many long haired curlies, it takes a bit longer to grow out but patience is the key for growing out hair...drink a lot of water, sleep enough, avoid stress,work out! my hair grows double its rate when i work out hard a few times a week..
Avoid over shampooing, and dont cut it!In the beginning when i started growing my rules where
No trimming for 6,9 or 12 months
Shampoo only twice a week
No heat
Multi vit

With this you should come quite far already,it helped me grow to waist

Maybe you might be right about exercising. I don't exercise. I mean I stretch and walk. I've never found a good routine. I'm a 3c (I can't edit my profile..). I'm kinda have insomnia. I'm trying to drink more water too.

legendya
August 22nd, 2012, 02:04 AM
Yes you can, it will just take a while. My hair when from barely shoulder length (when straightened... I had it cut for my birthday a few years back) to now three years later being what it is now. I'm sorry I don't have a pic to show yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to upload pics and move around the forum. :(

@Avital88, what kind of workout routine do you follow? How much growth do you get with exercise? I'm training for a half marathon next year and I'm mixing my runs with workouts for the Spartan Race and a few DVD's that are pretty hardcore. If I can prepare for a 1/2 and have my hair grow at the same time, that would be awesome!!!! :):):):)

Unfortunately, I'm sorta impatient :P But I guess we'll wait and see. I cut it short. Its about at my shoulders now. It's been kinda frizzy and dry since the beeswax incident.

RubySlippers
August 22nd, 2012, 04:02 AM
Welcome to the forum legendya. I'm still quite new myself and I understand how many questions we all start with, and how sometimes all the forum info gives you more questions instead of fewer!

The best thing you can do for a little while is to read the threads and links in the New? Start Here! Section. I'll edit to add a link.

Eta: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=9&a=11

There is an absolute tonne of information, but as you get through it you'll start to work out what might work for you, what you want to try, and how to get started. And the fact that there is SO much info, means I don't really know what to advise you here because there are literally hundreds of things you could try, and maybe theree are some you have tried unsuccessfully, so there would be no point in me recommending that! Lol.

Anyway, good luck on your long hair journey!
(and be careful not to check out too many of the etsy sellers recommended in the Conventional Products section, you'll spend a fortune!!)

Allychan
August 28th, 2012, 05:52 PM
My tale of three sisters
Sista 1, had a terminal hair length of 6-8inches. She tried to grow her hair but always ended up having to cut it off once it reached just above her shoulders. Sista 1 also consistently had her hair dyed at the salon, blow dried it every morning and used her straightener, she also insisted on using popular supermarket mass produced shampoo and conditioners.

Sista 2, had waist length hair but it never seemed to grow any longer, infact it never moved past that 'landmark' even though she rarely ever cut it. Sista 2 did not use shampoo or conditioner she relied on natural cleansing products and was a bit of a hippy so she rarely showered anyways. But, Sista 2 used a very harsh brushing technique which she raked through her hair every morning to remove the knots, she always wore her hair down, rarely tieing it up and she insisted on highlighting her long locks so they had the sunbleached natural 'look'. Her hair, though long, felt like wire and crunched to the touch.

Sista 3, managed to grow her damaged hair to nearly her waist in a year. She never used hair dye, bleach or regular store bought shampoos and conditioners. Unless she was going somewhere 'special' she rarely used heat to style her hair or wore it down. The occassional microtrim tidied up her ends and kept them from knotting and splitting. She improved the condition of the damaged parts of her hair by regular use of coconut oil, castor oil, henna and conditioning treatments.

True story based on my two sisters and me ;)

StephanieP3
August 28th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Everyone gave some great advice! I would also limit trims. I think my problem is I trim too much, it's been almost 5 months and I should be 3-4 or more inches longer than I currently am but I tend to think ooh it's time for a trim! Even though I have no damage or split ends. :)

Vrindi
August 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Drink lots of water. Eat healthy, lots of fruits and veggies, plenty of protein. Drink lots of water. Scalp massages. Drink lots of water. Exercise, stay active. Drink lots of water.

Did I mention the water?

Madora
August 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Generally speaking:

Hair only grows as fast as nature intends. You can help your hair grow faster by:

1) eating healthy
2) avoiding harmful things like blow fryers, hot curlers, hot irons,
chemicals and bleach
3) wearing your hair up will help protect the delicate ends
4) invest in a silk or satin pillowcase cover to protect the ends at night
5) Trim it every 3 or 4 months
6) Do S and D (Search and Destroy) regularly. Be sure your scissors are SHARP. Dull shears will only create more white dots.
7) Daily scalp massage will help will vital circulation through your hair follicles
8) Don't wash the life out of your hair. Only wash it when it needs it!
9) Use hair friendly clips and elastics and don't pull your hair back tightly.
10) Avoid ponytails!
11) Learn how to braid if you don't know already.
12) Detangle your hair with a wide tooth COMB
13) Have patience! On average, hair grows 6 inches a year. Some grow faster, some not.
14) "Less is more"...a clean, healthy scalp cannot be emphasized too much.

Because of the structure of your hair, you'll need to be extra careful taking care of it. There's no way to "rush" growth..it just happens.