PDA

View Full Version : prepping for heat abuse

novemberfoxtrot
August 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I haven't straightened my hair since at least Dec. but I have an interview tomorrow and my hair just doesn't want to look professional any other way right now.

My buns look too severe and I have these damn short hairs that frizz up anyway. And my curls are too unpredictable to rely on them looking nice and put together tomorrow.

So there's my justification. Anyway, is there any way I can prep my hair for the abuse tomorrow? I haven't been using cones but I think I still have a coney heat protectant spray here somewhere.

Wish me luck. If this job doesn't come through then it's on to year four as a substitute teacher. : (

luxepiggy
August 21st, 2012, 04:02 PM
Make sure your hair is completely dry beforehand and definitely be generous with the heat protectant on both the front & back of each section! Section off the hair into very thin slices for more even heat distribution.

Simone_Fatale
August 21st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Use a cone-heavy hair mask and be generous with the heat protectant spray. But one straightening since December can't give you a lot of damage anyway. It takes at least a month of regular, daily usage of a flat iron to get noticeable damage. You'll be fine. :)

Edit: How rude of me, forgot to wish ya good luck tomorrow!
Well... Good luck. :D I hope you get the job.

akilina
August 21st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Make sure your hair is completely dry beforehand and definitely be generous with the heat protectant on both the front & back of each section! Section off the hair into very thin slices for more even heat distribution.
Basically this :)
Thats as good as it gets! :)
Maybe once you are all done, do a really nice deep treatment of your choice.
I think your hair will survive this one. Don't put your heat on full blast unless you really need it. Many people who use straighteners are using WAY too high of heat for their hair. I know you are curly but you don't need the heat on full blast I bet.

My only issue is...will you be expected to do this every day if you get the job? Or will you be able to do your buns and updos once you are established there?

novemberfoxtrot
August 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
My only issue is...will you be expected to do this every day if you get the job? Or will you be able to do your buns and updos once you are established there?

It's a teaching position so buns and or curly hair will be fine. I just recently interviewed for a position that should've been mine but I lost it to a girl who is young and conventionally pretty. I can't get any younger but I can conform for an hour.

I"m still really bitter that I didn't get that other job.

Rufflebutt
August 21st, 2012, 05:03 PM
I don't understand why curly hair is seen as "unprofessional" for some reason. Honestly, I'd just find a good updo that would work for curly hair.

However, if you must straighten, use lots of heat protectant. A LOT of it.

novemberfoxtrot
August 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
I don't understand why curly hair is seen as "unprofessional" for some reason. Honestly, I'd just find a good updo that would work for curly hair.

However, if you must straighten, use lots of heat protectant. A LOT of it.

Oh I'm totally with you! But I can't reliably make my curls look nice and I often end up looking like I didn't try and don't care. Not the impression I want to give.

Hollyfire3
August 21st, 2012, 06:10 PM
Oh I'm totally with you! But I can't reliably make my curls look nice and I often end up looking like I didn't try and don't care. Not the impression I want to give.

Maybe do a beautiful half up? I would say display your natural curl. Send entra time scrucnhing and twriling pieces around your fingers, but then again, I hate flat irons for the heck I let them give me for years, so its up to you.:)

dawnss
August 22nd, 2012, 02:03 PM
I know this is really late, but deep conditioning before heat styling is important.

blondie9912
August 22nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
I use Joico K Pak Intense Hydrator before and after heat styling, and as others have mentioned, don't forget the heat protectant :)

Ambystoma
August 22nd, 2012, 11:41 PM
Chiming in late here as well, but a great idea in addition to all the protective agents mentioned is to do a doobie wrap on your hair the night before. This will straighten it out quite a lot so you don't have to use as much heat to get that flat ironed look, you can just glide it over on the lowest setting to "polish" it. :) Good luck, I hope you got the job!

dawnss
August 23rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
In addition to the doobie wrap, try rollersetting your hair first, then doing a doobie wrap, and flat ironing if necessary. I do not know how to straighten hair that does not have as tight as a curl as mine, but I am assuming that those two steps can really help many avoid blow dryers.