PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Oil

dragonmyst
August 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM
I've seen a few comments, which now I can't find (figures) about the benefits of mineral oil in hair. I want to say it was Madora, who mentioned it, but I don't remember.

~How should it be applied
~Plus/minus of using it
~how often is is used

The reason I ask is since I moved, I've been having issues with suddenly straw like hair, some split ends and it feels like buildup, I've been trying the ACV rinses about once a week (worried I may be over doing it, I THINK its once a week, I do get busy and lose track) I was considering using a protein treatment but wasn't sure if that would help or make anything worse. The problem areas are where I had bleached then hennad over the bleach which I think has contributed to my issue.

I don't *want* to cut my hair, but if I can't get this tangle issue under control I may have to. Even though I braid it to sleep and bun it during the day it tangles and mats easily.

ouseljay
August 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM
There's a big thread and an article about it, lemme see if I can beat the search into submission.

Here we go, thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298&highlight=mineral+oil and ktani's article http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

I like it. A good few drops stroked through the length, concentrating on the ends, is a good amount for me. I use it after every wash, sometimes I wet my ends and reapply it between washes. It has made my hair softer and shinier, and, oddly, curlier. It's not really changing the structure of my hair, of course, it just traps enough moisture that my hair stays wurly like when it's wet.

I would recommend clarifying before your first use. When I used it after using a coney conditioner it made things kind of weird and tangly. I sometimes use it without any conditioner (which is something I never thought would work for me) and sometimes with non-cone conditioner.

ratgirldjh
August 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM
Has anyone tried a drop of baby oil mixed with a glob of aloe vera gel? I think I might try this next wash since I have trouble spreading the MO evenly on my hair but with the aloe vera gel I can just squish it around everywhere!

pepperminttea
August 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM
How far did you move? Could it be the change of water or climate?

starlamelissa
August 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM
~How should it be applied- I use like two drops on my wet hair post shower. I rub it inbetween my palms and stroke it through the length, focusing most of it on the ends.

~Plus/minus of using it-pluses- hair is easy to detangle, prevents ends from splitting, leaves hair soft. minuses- easy to overdo. I recommend buying the travel size Johnsons baby oil from wallys and seriously only use a teeny bit.

~how often is is used-every time I wash my hair I oil it after.

Madora
August 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
Mineral oil works best on hair that has been clarified first. However, you can apply it on damp hair, or even dry hair.

Your mineral oil should contain only the MO plus a fragrance. Additives make it less effective.

I use it to condition and detangle.

For detangling, I put 4 drops into a small pill bottle top, then take a cotton baby swab, dip it in the oil so that it is well coated.
Then I apply the oiled swab all over my palms and fingers. Lastly, my hands are then run through my hair several times until the sheen has almost disappeared.

MO should be used sparingly. I use 4 drops on my 4 feet of hair but some people use only 2 or 3 drops.

MO is very lightweight and leaves no after scent. It helps retain the moisture in your hair longer. My hair was soft, shiny and supple after using MO.

I use MO on damp ends once a week (2 drops only).

MO also helps tame frizzies.

Pearly~91
August 21st, 2012, 05:02 PM
Well, I use mineral oil after every wash, and sometimes in between, if my hair feels like it could use it.
When I apply MO after a wash I just shampoo, condition, and whatever else as usual (sometimes I do different acid rinses) and let my hair dry and once it gets to be somewhat damp (no longer dripping) I rub about 2 drops into my hands, and then put 2-3 drops in my palms and then run my hands through my hair, focussing on the layered ends. The first 2 drops are because if I don't do that, the oil just soaks into my super dry skin and doesn't end up on my hair.
The main reason I use mineral oil is because I have some really nasty ends, growing out from a razor cut shattered bob. The layers all have NASTY feeling ends (no splits though, so I can't justify chopping them off :mad: ), they feel rough and kinda like straw and just really icky without the oil. BUT the mineral oil makes them feel smooth and soft and keeps me from taking a shears and chopping away. :D
If I don't like how my ends feel midway between washes, I take about 1-2 drops of oil and just rub only on my ends, really working it in.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
I normally use just a couple of drops on my palms/between my fingers and stroke it through damp hair from around ear level downwards. sometimes I will repeat on dry hair between washes if I feel my hair needs it. It gives such shine and softness! But you really only need such a tiny bit! Too much and you will look like a giant grease ball, lol!

I love using it. Anytime someone says to you*Wow, your hair is shiny!* you will know its the magic mineral oil! Our LHC secret!

PrettyFit
August 21st, 2012, 06:27 PM
I've seen a few comments, which now I can't find (figures) about the benefits of mineral oil in hair. I want to say it was Madora, who mentioned it, but I don't remember.

~How should it be applied
~Plus/minus of using it
~how often is is used

The reason I ask is since I moved, I've been having issues with suddenly straw like hair, some split ends and it feels like buildup, I've been trying the ACV rinses about once a week (worried I may be over doing it, I THINK its once a week, I do get busy and lose track) I was considering using a protein treatment but wasn't sure if that would help or make anything worse. The problem areas are where I had bleached then hennad over the bleach which I think has contributed to my issue.

I don't *want* to cut my hair, but if I can't get this tangle issue under control I may have to. Even though I braid it to sleep and bun it during the day it tangles and mats easily.

There's a big thread and an article about it, lemme see if I can beat the search into submission.

Here we go, thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298&highlight=mineral+oil and ktani's article http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

I like it. A good few drops stroked through the length, concentrating on the ends, is a good amount for me. I use it after every wash, sometimes I wet my ends and reapply it between washes. It has made my hair softer and shinier, and, oddly, curlier. It's not really changing the structure of my hair, of course, it just traps enough moisture that my hair stays wurly like when it's wet.

I would recommend clarifying before your first use. When I used it after using a coney conditioner it made things kind of weird and tangly. I sometimes use it without any conditioner (which is something I never thought would work for me) and sometimes with non-cone conditioner.

Just a note -- I think that I read on Ktani's blog that ACV is not a clarifier. I lot of people use baking soda solution as a clarifier followed by ACV rinse. But the ACV by itself doesn't clarify.

My hair is really dry and porous so I section my hair into 4 sections, spritz with aloe juice and then use a drop of baby oil per section. Sometimes I even layer coconut oil on first (only if i don't plan to wear my hair down).

PrettyFit
August 21st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Has anyone tried a drop of baby oil mixed with a glob of aloe vera gel? I think I might try this next wash since I have trouble spreading the MO evenly on my hair but with the aloe vera gel I can just squish it around everywhere!

Great idea! I am going to try that!