PDA

View Full Version : Beyond ankle - too long?

CharleaMurphy
August 21st, 2012, 05:18 AM
I want to hear some alternative opinions about this.
When I see women on the internet with hair that touches the floor I actually really dislike it.

http://cl.jroo.me/z3/D/t/F/d/a.aaa-Real-life-Rapunzel-and-her-s.jpg
I personally just don't see the point in having the extra length when it just trails on the floor and turns thin.

I don't know if I'm the only person who thinks this or if I'm just being narrow minded.
If you keep it up all the time then that seems fair but I just don't see the point if you intend to wear it down. I think I might warm to it more if I saw examples in better condition.

How do you feel about floor length hair? Is it beautiful or just ridiculous?

Rufflebutt
August 21st, 2012, 05:21 AM
Well, I agree that it's probably far too long to wear loose. But if you keep it up and take extra good care of it, why not?

MonaMayfair
August 21st, 2012, 05:22 AM
I think it's horrible personally...

CharleaMurphy
August 21st, 2012, 05:24 AM
I just can't bear to see it trailing on the floor, imagining it snagging on rocks and breaking and oooh it makes me shudder shudder:

loveisdivine
August 21st, 2012, 05:27 AM
It would have to be kept up pretty much permanently, surely?

Your one on the far right is insane! Does it really touch the floor and then go back up half her body length? Or am I seeing things?

pepperminttea
August 21st, 2012, 05:28 AM
I think it's their hair, and not my business. :shrug:

CharleaMurphy
August 21st, 2012, 05:32 AM
Your one on the far right is insane! Does it really touch the floor and then go back up half her body length? Or am I seeing things?

It really does...:p

Iolanthe13
August 21st, 2012, 05:32 AM
I wouldn't want hair longer than classic length for myself, but it's amazing how thick and healthy the hair is at knee-length or so in that picture. I admire what those women have achieved, even though I wonder about the practicality of it.

Sakuracha
August 21st, 2012, 05:33 AM
Considering I want to grow my hair to the floor and beyond I don't think it's too long by any means. Of course, I would not want to have my hair down dragging and picking up everything on the ground. I think part of the fun is finding intricate hairstyles that can only be done with extremely long hair. Even at hip I prefer not to wear my hair down much anyhow, personal preference. I don't think its bad to always have long hair up in nice styles. Then again I've been quite influenced by historical fantasy Chinese and Japanese films where they have extremely long in in these gorgeous hairstyles. I guess anime has also been an influence.

Charybdis
August 21st, 2012, 05:33 AM
This tends to be a sensitive topic on a board devoted to long hair. These sorts of threads appear periodically, and often end badly. Not saying you were trying to be offensive in any way; I just mention it because you may get some strongly worded responses.

Most people who have hair past knee usually wear their hair up, so you wouldn't even know the length of it unless they took it down, like for a photo shoot. Some people let their hair grow without cutting for religious reasons, some like the look of long hair and think it gets more beautiful the longer it is, and some just decided to grow their hair to its terminal length (only to discover by accident that their terminal length is much longer than average).

Personally, I don't think that it's appropriate for me to pass judgment on the length that other people choose for their own hair. If I think someone's hair is beautiful, I'll compliment them on it if it seems appropriate to the situation. If they have a hair length or style that I don't think is flattering or that I wouldn't choose for myself, I keep my mouth shut unless I'm asked sincerely for an honest opinion, because other people's hair isn't my business. Know what I mean?

I wouldn't grow my own hair floor-length (assuming I could) because it would drive me nuts. I'm clumsy and I have a scalp that needs shampooing at least twice a week, so I'd probably rip half my hair out by stepping on it and have dry ends to boot. But if other people can handle that amount of hair and find those lengths enjoyable, good for them!

Loreley
August 21st, 2012, 05:34 AM
I don't like how beyond floor length hair looks. Of course it's amazing that they grew it that long but still it's too long for me. I'll never have longer hair than knee length because I couldn't wear it down and keep the ends thick, I think.

Teufelchen
August 21st, 2012, 05:35 AM
That is exactly what I am thinking.

Everyone has a very own special lenght that they feel comfortable with, where this length is is solely personal taste.

Wearing down hair longer than floor length might be a bit unpractical but if they like it, it is up to them.

Tota
August 21st, 2012, 05:36 AM
If you like it and it makes you happy, then no, your hair can never be too long.

Me - I'll be happy if I reach waist someday ;)

Arya
August 21st, 2012, 05:39 AM
In the Heian period, Japanese women with beyond floor length hair, wore it straight down their back on silk robes that trailed behind them on the floor. It protected their hair from any sort of damage quite nicely. And I'm sure these ladies don't prance around the forest regularly with their hair out, They most likely wear it up like you or I would. In addition, two or three of these ladies don't have thin hair at the ends at all! Check out the thick ends on that braid!

browneyedsusan
August 21st, 2012, 05:52 AM
It's their hair. they can do what they want with it. --as long as it isn't immoral, illegal, or dangerous...

"They are not here to decorate my world." -- TLHC

FireFromWithin
August 21st, 2012, 05:53 AM
I also believe it is their choice. I'm guessing they probably don't wear their hair down like they are in this picture usually unless their hair is super strong and damage resistant.
I think their hair looks amazing especially when I think about the effort that goes into growing hair, I can barely imagine what it takes to look after floor length hair.
I'd love to see what give of updos they can do, although I hate to think how long they might take, my arms ache just thinking about it!

Ticky
August 21st, 2012, 05:55 AM
To be honest, I couldn't care less if someone managed to grow their pubic hair long enough to wrap them around their neck and pretend that it's a scarf, same thing with this. Good for them if they are able to grow it that long, healthy and remain happy with it, but it's not my cup of tea.

Sakuracha
August 21st, 2012, 05:58 AM
This tends to be a sensitive topic on a board devoted to long hair. These sorts of threads appear periodically, and often end badly. Not saying you were trying to be offensive in any way; I just mention it because you may get some strongly worded responses.

Most people who have hair past knee usually wear their hair up, so you wouldn't even know the length of it unless they took it down, like for a photo shoot. Some people let their hair grow without cutting for religious reasons, some like the look of long hair and think it gets more beautiful the longer it is, and some just decided to grow their hair to its terminal length (only to discover by accident that their terminal length is much longer than average).

Personally, I don't think that it's appropriate for me to pass judgment on the length that other people choose for their own hair. If I think someone's hair is beautiful, I'll compliment them on it if it seems appropriate to the situation. If they have a hair length or style that I don't think is flattering or that I wouldn't choose for myself, I keep my mouth shut unless I'm asked sincerely for an honest opinion, because other people's hair isn't my business. Know what I mean?

I wouldn't grow my own hair floor-length (assuming I could) because it would drive me nuts. I'm clumsy and I have a scalp that needs shampooing at least twice a week, so I'd probably rip half my hair out by stepping on it and have dry ends to boot. But if other people can handle that amount of hair and find those lengths enjoyable, good for them!

Could not have better worded it myself. Thank you for the thoughtful post.

In the Heian period, Japanese women with beyond floor length hair, wore it straight down their back on silk robes that trailed behind them on the floor. It protected their hair from any sort of damage quite nicely. And I'm sure these ladies don't prance around the forest regularly with their hair out, They most likely wear it up like you or I would. In addition, two or three of these ladies don't have thin hair at the ends at all! Check out the thick ends on that braid!

Heian period, Japan has defiantly been another long hair influence for me. I will just search for old paintings of Heian period women (and men too :eyebrows:). The beauty takes my breath away. There's just such a nice aesthetic element to the hair and other elements in those paintings. I also love kanzashi (traditional Japanese hair accessories) from other periods of Japanese history. I feel that long hair best compliments kanzashi items.

Kiwiwi
August 21st, 2012, 06:01 AM
I don't think I could stand it on myself. More so because of inconvenience (getting stuck on things, stepping on it or having other people step on it), because I can't bear the thought of my precious hair scraping on the ground. But not so much because I think it doesn't look nice. It looks a bit too much, a huge block of hair, but not ugly. Not what I would want for me. But I do like looking at pictures of it :-)

maria_asa
August 21st, 2012, 06:19 AM

My thoughts exactly. Well written!

MinderMutsig
August 21st, 2012, 06:23 AM
I highly doubt people with floor length hair or beyond wear their hair down regularly if ever.

I can see why someone would want to grow that long even though I can't imagine myself with hair that long. But who knows, I might change my mind in the future. It might be kind of neat to find out where terminal is on me even if that means growing beyond floor length.

In any case it's their business. They are not here to decorate my world and do not have to abide by my comfort level.

umbrellabones
August 21st, 2012, 06:32 AM
I'm not a fan of it, but I really don't concern myself with it. Their hair, not mine. I'm sure some people adore it, and I greatly respect the care and effort that must have gone in to reaching that length. (:

Neneka
August 21st, 2012, 06:53 AM
I like their hair. I would like to see how they normally wear it. :)

auburntressed
August 21st, 2012, 06:55 AM
I highly, highly doubt these ladies wear their hair that way regularly. I think that they only take it down for photo shoots.

I think there is also some element of pride to super long hair in certain cultures. So the issue for them isn't so much if the ends are thick - it is whether they can get the longest strands to that length at all. If yes, SCORE!

I think hair is too long if the person wearing it becomes incapable of keeping it clean and cared for. So, obviously, this length will vary depending on who is wearing it. :)

I personally would prefer thicker ends, even if they do fairytale a little bit toward the end. For example, having three feet of fairytale ends would upset me more than having six inches of fairytale ends. I think fairytale ends look lovely on curly and wavy hair, but I think they look ragged and unkempt on straight hair. Just my luck - I have straight hair. *sigh* I also have a pronounced taper, so I try to be careful about how thin the ends can get.

Henrietta
August 21st, 2012, 06:56 AM
Well, I agree that it's probably far too long to wear loose. But if you keep it up and take extra good care of it, why not?

Exactly this. I love long hair, no matter if it's hip or floor+. It's not like from some length on I see it as "too long" in general. But it may be too long to wear it down.
Maybe they wear it so only for pics? Those ladies on the pic in OP, I mean.

Amorice
August 21st, 2012, 07:17 AM
Personally, I don't want my hair past BCL, the idea of being able to sit on my hair doesn't sound fun. But if a longer length makes those ladies happy, that's awesome :D

continuum88
August 21st, 2012, 07:18 AM
its amazing to see how long hair can grow knowing that every person's hair has its own life span and it just stops growing at some point.im sure they're proud of what they've achieved, i just think it's way too long to let it loose. and i cant imagine all the headaches and sleeping problems that would come with having hair so long:/

palaeoqueen
August 21st, 2012, 07:32 AM
It's a photo shoot, I doubt they walk around like that every day.

I think for me hair that long would be unmanageable plus I like to wear it down. I don't really care how long other people's hair is though.

Cania
August 21st, 2012, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't want my hair that long personally, but I hope it makes them feel good :)

Wildcat Diva
August 21st, 2012, 07:46 AM
Well, it's pretty neat that they were able to do this. There is no way I could ever accomplish this. It is an achievement for sure. I don't really worry about how it looks on another person.

JulietCapulet
August 21st, 2012, 07:48 AM
Well, I think if it's worn up in a really beautiful style it can be a great length for up do volume. I personally would never choose to have it this long however. But if it makes them happy, I see no problem with it.

Madora
August 21st, 2012, 07:49 AM
Perhaps it is a cultural thing in their country?

These women have incredible hair...and the ends are perfectly natural. Their hair is beautiful and well cared for.

No long hair in their right mind goes around trailing their floor length hair after them. The dirt...the snags...the germs! Ugh!

If they can enjoy their spectacular hair, why not? Besides, a photo shoot is different from every day life! Cindy Christian, the girl with the fabulous floor length hair, only let it trail on the ground for a video piece she appeared in. She usually wore it up..and it was drop dead glorious.

Kaelee
August 21st, 2012, 07:53 AM
When I see women on the internet with hair that touches the floor I actually really dislike it.

I personally just don't see the point in having the extra length when it just trails on the floor and turns thin.

I don't know if I'm the only person who thinks this or if I'm just being narrow minded.
If you keep it up all the time then that seems fair but I just don't see the point if you intend to wear it down. I think I might warm to it more if I saw examples in better condition.

I personally would not have floor length hair. It would get LOTS of damage from dragging if worn down, would get caught in things etc. But to each their own :shrug: (I plan on maintaining my hair at TB length...I think once it's long enough that I actually wind up sitting on it by accident, I'll find it too inconvenient for my tastes. But TB is a good length so that's my ultimate goal. :D)

MonaMayfair
August 21st, 2012, 08:04 AM
Well, I think if it's worn up in a really beautiful style it can be a great length for up do volume. I personally would never choose to have it this long however. But if it makes them happy, I see no problem with it.

It would look impressive worn up, but if you had a sensitive scalp it might make it sore.
My scalp gets sore with the weight of my hair in a single braid (even though it's thinner than it used to be since I lost a lot due to thyroid troubles)
I don't think I could cope with the weight of that much hair, even if I wanted to grow it that long (which I probably couldn't because the longest I've ever been is hip length and I don't think it would grow much longer than that.

(I like your user name!)

1nuitblanche
August 21st, 2012, 08:24 AM
For myself, I wouldn't want hair that long. I wouldn't have the patience to take good care of it and could never leave it down for a day. But, if others want to, they can!

SerinaDaith
August 21st, 2012, 08:25 AM
I know a girl who has never had a hair cut in her life, he hair is drag on the floor long and she only ever takes it down when people beg for her to. I think it is lovely! Could I handle it? I doubt I will ever know but then again I have had 1/4 inch purple hair so my hair opinions may be outside of the "norm". I think if you can and want to you should do what you like as long as you are not hurting anyone.

Kyla
August 21st, 2012, 08:48 AM
If it's how the prefer it, who cares? There are so many important things to focus on in the World, if I thought about everyone who has made a decision regarding their appearance that I don't like, I would have no time to concentrate on anything else.

SongofLove
August 21st, 2012, 09:16 AM
I think their hair is very pretty and it is inspiring that they were able to grow it that long and healthy. Personally, I like the look of fairytale ends.

lapushka
August 21st, 2012, 09:32 AM

Precisely! Well said! :thumbsup:

woolyleprechaun
August 21st, 2012, 09:36 AM
To be honest, I couldn't care less if someone managed to grow their pubic hair long enough to wrap them around their neck and pretend that it's a scarf, same thing with this. Good for them if they are able to grow it that long, healthy and remain happy with it, but it's not my cup of tea.
Bwahahaha! Pubic scarf.....:agape:
I love these ladies hair. So obviously well cared for! I couldnt possibly deride them for it, even if I didnt like it personaly. I have to defend my reasons for having hair past the bra strap, and get quite irked that people feel the need to comment. It would be rather hypocritical of me to decide when enoughs enough on someone else! :o

CharleaMurphy
August 21st, 2012, 09:45 AM
I wasn't so much saying that they shouldn't have it that way (because as previously stated it is an amazing achievement) but I was curious about whether you would find it too long on you personally. I don't know anyone with the patience.

I'm awfully bad with words *blushy face*
Yeah I couldn't get the face to work soo..

Pandora.
August 21st, 2012, 09:48 AM
Well I personally would hate it for myself because it would be such hard work to maintain it and I don't even think it looks nice, but on other people I'm not bothered because it's their hair and their choice.

gthlvrmx
August 21st, 2012, 09:59 AM
I love it. Absolutely love it and my dream fantasy is to have hair super duper long a few feet past me maybe even double my length. My actual goal is just terminal because i dont know where my hair would stop growing at. So its a mystery and im hoping its really really long. I don't think its too bad to care for it, its in a bun all the time anyways rite? that's my hair care now i just keep it in a bun all day and night and wash it once a week so it's not too much hassle anyways. I'll just need to buy more conditioner :P lots and lots more conditioner for that hair.
If it's not touching the floor when i walk or when i sit, ill let it out when im out and let it hang(classic-calves rite? the chairs arent too low to the ground) but of course im not letting it touch the floor and drag with me! That's too much rubbing with the ground all my years of hard patience and work!! Not for me to just drag it on the ground but if i could without getting damage, i would do it. I wash it anyways rite? so there.

yeah im going to be able to handle it doesnt bother me at all, it excites me! :)

SacantRoese
August 21st, 2012, 10:04 AM
I can see what you, (the OP) are saying to a certain degree. If you think that hair that long looks weird, or even "ridiculous", then that's fine, everyone has opinions. Remember, there are a lot of people that think hair past waist is too long for "anyone". :D As for some of your questions; I think it is fairly obvious that if someone had hair floor length or longer that you would not be able to wear it down daily, as it would get tangled, dirty, or get caught on things. (I have to wear my hair up in some way for most of the time for these reasons, and it is only TBL)

As others have mentioned, those women probably do not wear their hair down all of the time, and only do so for photo shoots. Second, not all people like having hair that is bluntly cut or even thick at the ends, and for some people their hair starts fairy-tailing at the ends after it hits waist, so really, having thin ends can't be helped if it's 6+ feet long. (And, I'd like to ask, what's wrong with having "thin" ends?) If a woman, (or a man) wanted their hair that long, I would admire them for it. Personally I find it very ethereal and beautiful looking.

For some it might not look very aesthetically pleasing, but when I see a person with hair that long I think of all the dedication and care they must take to have it. I also think that people should not make it a big deal to wonder about everyone else and what they do with their appearance. If someone wants hair so long that it can drag on the ground and back up to their neck, I'm all for it. :)

Aqua Gal
August 21st, 2012, 10:08 AM
I think it's wonderful to express your thoughts openly, but I would hate to alienate anyone because of the length they choose.

I could never grow that long, but I would support anyone that enjoyed it on themself. Hair can be beautiful at any length. Shaved, or dragging on the floor.

SacantRoese
August 21st, 2012, 10:11 AM
Oh, sorry! I didn't see your newest post. I was just trying to answer you and be relevant, but it turns out I'm bad at jumbling all my words as well. :o
Personally, I don't think that I would want hair that long on myself. Not because I don't have the patience to grow it out, but because it just seems a tad too long for me, and I am also not the best with keeping up on washing and oiling it, and it seems it would be a pain if it were past my feet. :D I think my goal of knee is just right.

NataschaB.
August 21st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Yep, it's way too long for me :)

Long_hair_bear
August 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM
I think the pic is pretty and like so many others on here, I think its their business how long they grow their hair. I know I'm growing mine to term whether others like it or not. :D

ravenreed
August 21st, 2012, 11:20 AM
I am struggling with classic+. Every length seems to bring new challenges and I am never quite sure that I can manage another inch. My goal is to have a braid that wraps completely around my head, which I think would be fingertip on me, but darn, my hair is so persnickety since I passed TB! So no, I couldn't manage hair that long. Especially since I do still wear mine down from time to time.

goldenmoments
August 21st, 2012, 11:21 AM
I've seen some members with great hair at that length. Though personally I wouldn't want it my self....I think you didnt choose the best picture... It just makes me think of all the dust they are sweeping up off the path...yikes!

WaitingSoLong
August 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM
My goal is to have a braid that wraps completely around my head, which I think would be fingertip on me, but darn, my hair is to persnickety since I passed TB!

It doesn't yet? Mine does. My hair must be thinner. Or maybe I am wrappign it more towards my crown and not my forehead.

I have had trouble since TBL, too. SIGH.

akilina
August 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM
I would never judge someone for it, as it is their hair.
But for me personally...way way way too long. Its unattractive in a way, But again.Not my hair, my opinion means nothing!
I used to cut a witches hair and she would always say shes growing to the floor :)

MrsGuther
August 21st, 2012, 11:34 AM
The longer the better!! It's probably not easy to care for, and one probably wouldn't be able to wear their hair down hardly ever... But I think hair that long would be awesome!

ravenreed
August 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
I am short-waisted so classic on me is a little shorter than classic on someone else. Also, my braid has a wicked taper. While I could at this point just about wrap the braid all the way around, the end of the braid would be smaller than a pencil in diameter, but the hair it meets up with is quite thick. With another 3 inches, I think it will work much better.

Isn't amazing how just a few more inches in length makes for so much trouble. For instance, I cannot figure out how to sleep comfortably on my hair anymore. When I first hit LHC, I was at waist and slept with my hair loose. As it got longer, I started wearing a sleep braid. Now my braid feels lumpy and uncomfortable to sleep on, plus it keeps strangling me in my sleep. I am apparently an "active sleeper" and revolve like a rotisserie chicken. But if I don't wear a braid, my hair is a rat's nest by morning. I have never been able to sleep with a bun either. They pull too much. I have thought maybe that heidibraids under a sleep cap might work, but my sons would never let me live it down.

It doesn't yet? Mine does. My hair must be thinner. Or maybe I am wrappign it more towards my crown and not my forehead.

SongofLove
August 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM

Hmm, mine almost wraps around my head and I think it will when I reach classic too. Maybe we have smaller heads? :D

WaitingSoLong
August 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM
Smaller heads! LOL

Raven I CANNOT sleep in a braid or loose. Braids give me a headache NO MATTER WHAT. Plus I have strangled myself with my braid. LOL. I don't do sleep caps I have a sleep stocking I made. My hair is too long for it now, but I still use it because I cannot seem to make another one!
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/th_P1030518.jpg (http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/?action=view&current=P1030518.jpg)

summerjade
August 21st, 2012, 11:52 AM
I think their hair is pretty and if they like it that way, then that is fine. They may be in a country where that is what they do for whatever reason. We shouldn't pass bad judgement on them anyway.

ravenreed
August 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
Sorry for going so OT, but tell me more about the sleep stocking PLEASE! I am getting desperate! Is it like a long snood? How do you keep it on at night?

Smaller heads! LOL

Raven I CANNOT sleep in a braid or loose. Braids give me a headache NO MATTER WHAT. Plus I have strangled myself with my braid. LOL. I don't do sleep caps I have a sleep stocking I made. My hair is too long for it now, but I still use it because I cannot seem to make another one!
[/URL]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/th_P1030518.jpg (http://[URL=http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/?action=view&current=P1030518.jpg]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/th_P1030518.jpg)

Lady Neeva
August 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM
I consider it a suprise that they can even grow it to ankle length.

AcornMystic
August 21st, 2012, 12:18 PM
I personally would not want hair longer than ankle because I wouldn't have the freedom to wear it down, which I would like to have. The thought of allowing something that is precious to me draging on the filthy ground, picking up gum... gasoline... spit.. etc.. it just horrifies me really... >.> especially since I like to stroke my hair and rub my face with it (my hair is very therapeutic to me) and who knows what would be in it. I mean if you're going to wear it up all the time then I don't see the problem, just saying though, there is a loss of freedom there. They do make me think of women from a fairytale or something. The thinness at the ends though I will admit aren't terribly attractive... Ah well, I'm jealous of the length they've achieved anyway. *day dreams of having long hair*

PrettyFit
August 21st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Smaller heads! LOL

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/th_P1030518.jpg (http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/?action=view&current=P1030518.jpg)

I LOVE your stocking! I am very curious. Does it have elastic around the base? What material did you use to make it?

PrettyFit
August 21st, 2012, 12:29 PM

I like the one with the plait...it's kind of cool. I have plait envy now that I have seen such beautiful braids here. :) My mom used to wear a thick side plait with a curl on the end. I can't wait until my hair is long enough to weal a long braid that whips around!

As for the others in the pic -- the loose hair dragging the floor seem a bit odd. But I can understand why someone would do it. If a person's hair grows past knee length, then it seem like they would feel challenged to see how long they could grow it.

sun-kissed
August 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM
I would never want past floor length hair - way too much work! There's no way on earth I would be able to handle that long of hair on my own head. Upper thigh is as far as I can conceive myself going, at the very farthest.

What a lovely photo! I don't normally like FTEs on Asian hair like that, but those particular ladies have very healthy looking ends paired with the impressive length. I can't imagine how much time and dedication it has taken them to grow such healthy hair.

(ETA: The third lady from the left... may I say thud-worthy?)

Shepherdess
August 21st, 2012, 01:08 PM
I love it. Absolutely love it and my dream fantasy is to have hair super duper long a few feet past me maybe even double my length. My actual goal is just terminal because i dont know where my hair would stop growing at. So its a mystery and im hoping its really really long. I don't think its too bad to care for it, its in a bun all the time anyways rite? that's my hair care now i just keep it in a bun all day and night and wash it once a week so it's not too much hassle anyways. I'll just need to buy more conditioner :P lots and lots more conditioner for that hair.
If it's not touching the floor when i walk or when i sit, ill let it out when im out and let it hang(classic-calves rite? the chairs arent too low to the ground) but of course im not letting it touch the floor and drag with me! That's too much rubbing with the ground all my years of hard patience and work!! Not for me to just drag it on the ground but if i could without getting damage, i would do it. I wash it anyways rite? so there.

yeah im going to be able to handle it doesnt bother me at all, it excites me! :)

Same here! :D

I really want to see what my terminal length is and even if my hair did grow long enough to drag on the floor, I think I'd keep it up in a bun all of the time so it wouldn't get damaged. I don't mind the work and I would love to have a really long braid! :crush:

I think these ladies have amazing hair!

WaitingSoLong
August 21st, 2012, 01:58 PM
I LOVE your stocking! I am very curious. Does it have elastic around the base? What material did you use to make it?

I don't want to totally derail the thread. There is a thread somewhere here...let me see if I can find it...

ETA: Ok, so far I have found THIS (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55223&highlight=sleep+stocking)thread. Still looking.

And THIS (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62507&highlight=sleep+stocking)one.

I cannot seem to find where I got the original idea, though.

Mononoke
August 21st, 2012, 02:08 PM
I hope I don't offend anyone, but I personally don't see the point in hair which has to always be worn up and not shown in full length. But of course it's a matter of personal taste.

ravenreed
August 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM
Some people really, really like updos. The longer the hair, the bigger the range of updos possible. I like wearing my hair down from time to time so I will probably never get past mid-thigh.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I personally don't see the point in hair which has to always be worn up and not shown in full length. But of course it's a matter of personal taste.

Arianwen
August 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Their hair, their choice...that's my take on it. Bodily autonomy for all.

Madora
August 21st, 2012, 03:01 PM

It is also a matter of practicality to wear it up. If you had hair that felt like a horse blanket when you wore it down...and was always catching on things and forever in your face..even when you pinned it back, you'd wear it up too!

Wearing your hair up doesn't mean your tresses are any less spectacular than wearing them down. Some updos can be astonishingly beautiful. It just depends on your creativity and willingness to experiment.

Not to say there's anything wrong with wearing hair down...but the tangles involved when doing so make it impractical.

Angela_Rose
August 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM
I absolutely adore the look of ankle+ hair, and being an LHCer for lo these any years I can appreciate and admire the dedication and work it takes to get that impressive length and to maintain it.
I'm at thigh-ish with hopes to maintain at knee. I once had a desire to get to ankle+ but I think it's an impractical length for me personally. Even at my (relatively short) length my hair is in a pinned-up braid, bun, or twist about 90% of the time. I would probably wear ankle+ length up even more often than that.
I am glad we have folks around with these glorious tresses for us to wind up in a :thudpile: over!

Venefica
August 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Personally I do not care how long other people's hair is, but when it comes to what I personally think is pretty the only one of the women in the picture I liked the look of the hair of was the one with the braid, but wow that braid is awesome. I like blunt hemline. Now if I could get floor length with a blunt hemline, sure I would take it gladly and thank the God and Goddess for it, but I would rather have thigh length or knee with a thick hemline than thin wisps reaching the floor.

This is however my sense of aesthetics, what I would do with my hair, I however do not feel that I have the right to judge what length is to long on others, that have to be up to them and what they think is pretty or appropriate, I am not the fashion police nor do I wish to be.

Angel Barchild
August 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think the op is being judgey, just asking for people's personal opinion on if they would do that with their hair. We ask all the time if people would do this thing or that thing with their hair. It's not really different.

Me, not my style. I'm clumsy and kind of lazy. I'd just end up with the same braid everyday and then be bored with it. Not to mention stepping on it and catching it on stuff. It's just not for me. Pretty though.

battles
August 21st, 2012, 03:30 PM
The thought of hair being able to drag on the floor is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I realize they would normally wear it up, but I guess I'm just too uncoordinated to get that whole thing sorted out. I couldn't do it.

RapunzelKat
August 21st, 2012, 03:56 PM
For me, I would have to say I won't know until I get there (if I'm even able to grow that long! :D) I like the idea of floor-length hair, but I'm not sure my particular head of hair would be manageable at that length.

I'm planning to grow to terminal, so if I've got the genes for it I'll find out what it's like in, oh, six or so years :D

I actually think these ladies have beautiful hair - I would love to see their everyday updo styles!

Lostsoule77
August 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM
I think their hair is gorgeous! Most of them, their thin ends don't start until just above their ankles. Personally I wouldn't want hair that long though. I'm lazy and any styles I could do with that amount of hair, that I can't do with what I have, I probably wouldn't anyway.

Beatnik Guy
August 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
I think their hair looks awesome. And, as others have said, if you grow your hair superlong I don't think you worry too much of folks think it's too long. :wink:

Xia Aifeng in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkWDqQB5h6g&fb) is a good example of being very proud of superlong hair. :)

ETA: the OP asked

Stunning. Particularly IRL. :D

Mayflower
August 21st, 2012, 04:34 PM
I always find these politically correct answers most people here give amusing.

Well yeah, obviously nobody can tell another person how to wear their hair, and obviously they're not here to decorate your world, but the OP simply asks our opinion on ankle+ hair in general/on ourselves, not on other ladies.

So of course I don't have any say on how other people choose to look, and I don't care a single bit about it (I hardly notice what other people wear or if they're overweight or if they wear make-up), but I do have an opinion about ankle+ hair, and that is that I don't like how it looks. I would never grow my hair that long because it's time consuming, not practical, and because I like to wear my hair down as much as I can (I like to feel the wind playing with it and feel it swishing against by back). I don't like most updo's so that wouldn't be a reason for me either.

Relax people, nobody's bashing anybody.

Shepherdess
August 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM
I think their hair looks awesome. And, as others have said, if you grow your hair suoerlong I don;t think you worry too much of folks think it's too long. :wink:

Xia Aifeng in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkWDqQB5h6g&fb) is a good example of being very proud of superlong hair. :)

Wow! Her hair looks healthy all the way down! Amazing! :thud:

jeanniet
August 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM
Exactly. If i don't want other people criticizing me, then I'd best refrain from doing it myself. Floor length would be too long for me, but if it's not my hair...

faellen
August 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah I have to admit, I'm not a fan of long hair that touches the floor worn loose. Floors can be dirty! Plus the possibility of stepping on it, ouch. At the end of the day though, people can do what they want. If it's worn up, I don't see a problem, though I personally would not grow my hair that long as it wouldn't be practical for me.

ratgirldjh
August 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM
I used to have a friend with hair that was at least several inches longer than she was tall and so it would drag on the ground. Actually her hair looked exactly like the girl in the picture whose hair is tapered to a point and is dragging...

My friend would have to wear very high heels so that her hair would not drag on the ground! She didn't like to wear her hair up and we were forever having hair 'accidents' with her - thing like sitting on her hair, her closing it in the car door and all manner of things. Can't believe it ever got that long with the way she treated it. :shrug:

ladylowtide
August 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM
On others: I love it! So pretty.

On myself: I love the idea of it, and I think if I were a Princess with many servants to assist me in the trials of hair care and to aid with doing many different elaborate things with it, heck yes. Floor or a foot longer.

Unfortunately I am still only a princess in my imagination so I think my practical/ maximum enjoyment length is going to be somewhere between hip and TBL.

Diamond.Eyes
August 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM
I try not to occupy myself with others personal choices. I think that kind of devotion to not cutting ones hair is pretty admirable actually. I think it looks beautiful, it may not be practical but it is very eye-catching nonetheless.

trolleypup
August 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM
I consider it a surprise that they can even grow it to ankle length.
I guess I've been on LHC for a long time...because I read this and thought..."but ankle isn't that rare!" And realized that ankle is my next milestone...even though there is an awful lot of calf between knee and ankle.

I would never want past floor length hair - way too much work! There's no way on earth I would be able to handle that long of hair on my own head. Upper thigh is as far as I can conceive myself going, at the very farthest.
Really, it isn't all that much work...mostly benign neglect got me to classic, careful benign neglect got me through false terminal, and barely benign neglect has gotten me past knee and into calf. Bun and ignore...and make it nice when the mood hits me.

jeanniet
August 21st, 2012, 05:49 PM
I always find these politically correct answers most people here give amusing.

Well yeah, obviously nobody can tell another person how to wear their hair, and obviously they're not here to decorate your world, but the OP simply asks our opinion on ankle+ hair in general/on ourselves, not on other ladies.

So of course I don't have any say on how other people choose to look, and I don't care a single bit about it (I hardly notice what other people wear or if they're overweight or if they wear make-up), but I do have an opinion about ankle+ hair, and that is that I don't like how it looks. I would never grow my hair that long because it's time consuming, not practical, and because I like to wear my hair down as much as I can (I like to feel the wind playing with it and feel it swishing against by back). I don't like most updo's so that wouldn't be a reason for me either.

Relax people, nobody's bashing anybody.

I don't really see the political correctness in the answers--most of us take a very open attitude to what others do with their hair, and that's just the way we feel. The OP's first post did say that she really dislikes this length of hair, which could be construed as bashing, so I'm glad she did clarify what she meant. It's fine to say you wouldn't want hair that long on yourself. Saying you dislike it period on a board with members who have floor-length hair isn't very KNIT. Put it in terms of "I think BSL hair is ugly" or "No one looks good with WL hair" and you might see what I mean. LHC should be a refuge from criticism, no matter length, condition, color, or anything else . What I most like to see is people who are confident in their hair, no matter the length--and what I wouldn't want on me really has nothing to do with what I admire in others.

JoieBruce
August 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
I think it's a beautiful length, although not one I am likely to attain.

BrightEyes
August 21st, 2012, 08:36 PM
On myself I would never grow my hair that long (I'm struggling just to get past shoulder length at the moment). But others can grow however long they want, it's their hair.

ahrph
August 21st, 2012, 09:27 PM
To be honest, I couldn't care less if someone managed to grow their pubic hair long enough to wrap them around their neck and pretend that it's a scarf, same thing with this.

LOL! And Ewww....

It's not for me, but if other people want to grow their hair ultra long, it's their hair.

christine1989
August 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM
I always admire the time and care it takes to get hair that long but like others have said "it isn't for me". I would get too disgusted by the huge hairs in the drain.

Yozhik
August 21st, 2012, 09:36 PM
I don't really see the political correctness in the answers--most of us take a very open attitude to what others do with their hair, and that's just the way we feel. The OP's first post did say that she really dislikes this length of hair, which could be construed as bashing, so I'm glad she did clarify what she meant. It's fine to say you wouldn't want hair that long on yourself. Saying you dislike it period on a board with members who have floor-length hair isn't very KNIT. Put it in terms of "I think BSL hair is ugly" or "No one looks good with WL hair" and you might see what I mean. LHC should be a refuge from criticism, no matter length, condition, color, or anything else . What I most like to see is people who are confident in their hair, no matter the length--and what I wouldn't want on me really has nothing to do with what I admire in others.

QFT. Jeanniet said it better than I could have phrased it.

I admire the years of care and dedication that go into having extra-long hair, although when I got to hip, I realized hair longer than that wasn't for me, and I cut it back to waist length. :)

Teazel
August 21st, 2012, 09:45 PM
I always admire the time and care it takes to get hair that long but like others have said "it isn't for me". I would get too disgusted by the huge hairs in the drain.

Two words: drain strainer. :wink:

Nymphea
August 21st, 2012, 10:08 PM
It's not too long for me, but I couldn't wear it down if it were me; all that hair dragging on the floor... No. shudder:

neko_kawaii
August 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM
I dislike wearing my hair down at any length and do it rarely. I don't know how my hair care would have to change to accommodate floor length but if my hair is capable of it I'll try it out! Why? Probably because OP said she didn't like it. I'm contrary like that.

vanillabones
August 21st, 2012, 10:23 PM
I see a lot of long hair. Once I saw a lady at a fastfood restaurant with her hair dragging on the floor, and it was pretty gross to see it doing so...
I actually like the girl with the longest hair, holding it up! Wow. I can see why people would want to grow to this length if they even can, my hair would never grow that long but I wear my hair up literally all of the time once in a blue moon I will wear it down and I take it down for pictures ... and showering. I do not mind wearing my hair up literally all of the time I don't think I would mind my hair being that long and I would probably be very proud of it. I may feel differently when I actually achieve longer hair.

catamonica
August 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't want my hair that long. But I think you should wear it as long as you like. I would worry about dirt. Crystal Gale has her hair to her ankles. She looks great. I wear my hair up most of the time. I think the perfect length would be between classic & thigh. Not to hard to take care of. Knee would be good to.

LadyKate
August 21st, 2012, 11:38 PM
It seems to me that the original poster was expressing her opinion, and asking what others thought. She further stated that she personally wouldn't want hair that long. At no point did she say that other people couldn't, or shouldn't.

one_fine_lady
August 21st, 2012, 11:51 PM
It could be for cultural/religious reasons that they don't cut their hair

Tisiloves
August 21st, 2012, 11:51 PM
I love the look of it, but perosonally I don't think I could go past knee (if I ever managed to reach it), because I am Captain Dyspraxic and if it were possible for me to accidentally step on my hair and hurt myself whilst washing you can bet your buttons I'd end up going it.

kitekats
August 21st, 2012, 11:55 PM
I really don't like their sheer ends:mad:, they could snip off few inches to gain thickness, but other ways I'm fine with that

julliams
August 21st, 2012, 11:57 PM
For me it's kind of like anything dragging on the floor, hair, clothing etc - there is definitely a period in history where it works beautifully (think medieval etc) but with today's fashion I'm not so sure. This is why I wish we did dress like we lived in an historical film because then my hair would fit in perfectly with that style of dress! But since I'm going for a certain look in this day and age, floor length just wouldn't fit in with that look. I admire updo's worn by people with very long hair but I love to wear my hair out. So for me, anything touching the floor would not be an option.

Natalia
August 22nd, 2012, 12:02 AM

Im not a big fan but as has been mentioned much of what you see at that length isnt in good condition. And since i dont believe that much of the population can grow that long and have a nice hem.... im ehhh about it. But heck people thought i was nuts at waist now that im classic if they knew theyd think im just gonzo :rolleyes:. If you dig it and can do it go for it, everyone has different taste. The longest ive regularly admired is mid calf but personally i like the classic to knee range best.

4C4rly4
August 22nd, 2012, 12:38 AM
I agree. I think it's too long. Can you imagine how dirty it gets trailing in the dirt like that? And the ends become too thin and unhealthy looking.
The one on the far right looks like it's about 11 feet long!

I'm not saying it's horrible though - it's cool that they grew it that long cuz you don't see that very often (or ever). I agree with Natalia^ that everyone has different taste, so if they're into hair that long, then they should go for it.

Charybdis
August 22nd, 2012, 12:57 AM
I agree. I think it's too long. Can you imagine how dirty it gets trailing in the dirt like that? And the ends become too thin and unhealthy looking.

Believe me, nobody but NOBODY with hair that long wears it down except for special occasions like a photo shoot. Caring for hair that length requires special techniques, but there's no way those ladies got their hair that long without pampering it and keeping it away from sources of mechanical damage (like the ground).

gnome82
August 22nd, 2012, 01:19 AM
Wow what an amazing photo, I think it is awesome that these ladies would take the time to grow and care for their hair at such a long length, I think they look beautiful!!

Mesmerise
August 22nd, 2012, 01:24 AM
I'm not a big fan of super long hair, but to each their own!

My personal preference is probably no longer than tailbone, because beyond a point I think you have to wear it up the majority of the time!

I don't really want hair that I can't wear loose :D.

Silverbrumby
August 22nd, 2012, 01:33 AM
I think with a medieval gown trailing the ground with the hair over it would look great. I'm a fan of the calf length max. Either braid or loose. We do have two women in the town I live in who have hair that long. One has a braid to her calf which means it must be almost floor. The other wears her hair out and it's mid calf.

pepperminttea
August 22nd, 2012, 02:12 AM

Well said. :thumbsup:

MasCat
August 22nd, 2012, 02:34 AM
Awesome

If my hair ever reaches floor length... oh well - maybe I would have to sew myself some new dresses that accommodate those rare days when I would totally wear them down - just to see the look on people's faces! :>

legendya
August 22nd, 2012, 02:36 AM
one word. WOW.
It looks tough to care for.

Mononoke
August 22nd, 2012, 02:53 AM
It seems to me that the original poster was expressing her opinion, and asking what others thought. She further stated that she personally wouldn't want hair that long. At no point did she say that other people couldn't, or shouldn't.

I agree. And it seems that many people here don't see the difference between expressing one's opinion and bashing, which is too bad.

Amanah
August 22nd, 2012, 03:55 AM
I love tailbone hair with faerytale ends, anything longer seems to fall in the too hard to care for, impossible to wear it down category.

MaryO
August 22nd, 2012, 04:19 AM
Definitely not a fan, sorry! But then again- why not?! ;-)

DinaAG
August 22nd, 2012, 05:36 AM
soooo scary 4 me they can even act in a horror movie that way :(

sakuraemily
August 22nd, 2012, 07:40 AM
I think it would be gross if it was in a bad condition like you know split, rough, dry, damaged etc.

BunnyKitten
August 22nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
I think it's incredible and beautiful! It definitely would take a lot of work and I love wearing my hair down, so I probably wouldn't grow to that length myself. Even so, I still think it would look good on me. The ladies in that picture had amazing hair, in my opinion. I can see how someone would find it too long, though, and there's nothing wrong with not preferring it.

wooliswonderful
August 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
My longest was thigh, I'm looking forward to seeing how much longer than that it will grow.
My current goal is ankle, and if I make it there I might try for longer. :)

Cowgirl16
August 27th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Some absolutely BEAUTIFUL hair :thudpile:

I had wanted my hair that long but I am finding I am updo challenged :shrug: I may have to stick with knee and hope I get the hang of it.
I am in Aww at anyone who can grow and maintain their hair that long and I LOVE looking at pictures of thier hair :flowers:

ddiana1979
August 27th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I think it's beautiful. I don't think my genetics will allow, nor would my husband approve, but I admire the patience & care that must have gone into growing hair that long. I would be interested in knowing their haircare routine, and how they wear it up.

RubyTuesday
August 28th, 2012, 09:55 AM
It is not to my taste personally. Anything below bum length is not for me really. I don't think it looks very pretty when it is that length. For me personally, I love waist length hair.

spidermom
August 28th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have to admire the dedication that goes into growing hair that long and caring for it, but for me personally - yes, ankle length and beyond is too long.

I do have a curiosity regarding how long my hair would get if I never-ever cut it. I don't know if I'll ever have the patience to leave it alone and find out, however.

nmarie33
August 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM
It's crazy and amazing to see, but I don't think I would want it on myself. It seems impossible to wear down except for a very special occasion, and I sure wouldn't want my hair mucking along on the ground. It does look very cool though. I like the video someone posted of the Chinese woman in the hair contest, her hair looked great and she was so proud of it.

I think that for me personally, the point where it starts to be difficult to comb because your hair is longer than your arms is where I would stop! But you never know...when I started here I wanted a BSL goal, and now I am close to TBL and wanting more! Hahahha. It must be all the peer pressure. :P

alwayssmiling
August 28th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I love to see people with extremely long hair with interesting updo's. I knew a woman once who had hair past her knee, and would have the most amazing styles. I was fascinated by them, some of them were like a work of art. Very clever lady.

NJoy
August 29th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Way too long for my personal taste. And seeing hair dragging on the ground makes me cringe (but, so does seeing clothing dragging on the ground). But, that's just me. I say, to each her own. Live and let live, I say. :)

JuliaDancer
August 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I don't think the OP meant to offend anyone. I don't think she's judging anyone's hair, just stating her opinion and seeing if anyone shares that opinion. I personally think that long hair looks great while it's thick, but in those photos I don't like where it thins out a lot at the bottom. If it stayed thick through the ankles (and they don't normally drag it all over the ground), I would like it. This is just my opinion. Anyone can wear their hair however they like, because it doesn't affect my life at all.

Xi
August 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Don't grow it that long if you don't like it. I'll never be in that category (I'm hovering at terminal length now just below tailbone), so I'm not personally offended or anything -- I just don't see the point of calling other people's hair "gross" or "too long." This IS a long hair forum, after all -- it's nice to be generally supportive (or at least not openly negative) about people's various hair growing goals. There's plenty of that anti-long-hair negativity IRL -- no need to heap it on here. :flower: Just my :twocents:.

feb26
August 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I think its gorgeous..if you can achieve it & are comfortable with the high maintenance involved, GO FOR IT!! that said, I don't think its for me..simply in that I like to wear my hair loose & ends would be v thin for me at that length!
It is possible for hair of this length to have certain connotations of wealth for its owner/wearer. I can see that being part of the appeal too, it would certainly attract lots of attention when worn down.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 29th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Personally I wouldn't want my hair that long. But they are obviously happy with it, and that is all that matters. I'm sure they would wear their hair up mostly anyway.

I do like the look of hair down to ankle length though, even though I would not have it that long myself either. It' to be waist, maybe hip for me I think.:)

brownpaperbag
September 3rd, 2012, 11:20 PM
I personally wouldn't want it, but if it's in good condition and the person bearing it wants it - why not. It always makes for awesoms updo's too!

Toadstool
September 4th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I can imagine the fascination with seeing how long it will grow, and there's a kind of magic about never having cut it.
For me, I would hate to have that much hair, and it would be far too heavy.