PDA

View Full Version : How damaging is sun bleaching?

juliaxena
August 21st, 2012, 12:04 AM
Hey guys, my natural color is light ashy brown that I think has a potential to go much lighter with sun and salt water. When I was on vacation I thought I would have some sun bleaching going on because I was not going to wear a hat for swimming not pour oil all over my hair to protect it and have oil in water around me when simming LOL. Well, my hair did get just a touch lighter but not much because I didn't spend any time in the sun beside when swimming and I didn't swim much either. However I may have another chance this year because my aunt has invited me to go to seaside with her and where we are supposed to go, there won't be trees and beach umbrellas (boy, do I need to seriously stock up on sun screeen). Of course I will wear a hat a lot but I usually don't put a hat on my head while my hair is still wet. So what I want to ask you guys is how damaging is sun bleaching? I have been growing out bleach and dye for two years now and I don't want all that effort go to the trash can. However, I LOVE the look of sun bleached hair. Those of you whose hair goes lighter in the sun, how does it feel, is it dry, does it break, split? The reason I don't know this is because I have had dyed hair since highschool and because since I started growing it out I always had lots of oil on my hair - not on this vacation because the beach was crowded and fancy this time. So please, tell me about your experiences with sun bleaching (I am aware you have to put sunscreen on the part scalp at least). Thanks!

Mya
August 21st, 2012, 01:37 AM
In my experience, the mix of sun and sand/dirt makes hair really dry and if your hair already is very damaged itself you may get more split ends than you are used to. The important thing is to keep hair moisturized.

Never in my life I've had sunscreen on my scalp since my hair is already protecting it, and I have never experienced the smallest problem, but I guess everyone is different here. I think that rather than for the scalp itself, direct sunlight is bad for the whole head. If I happen to stay in direct sunlight for one or two hours, I feel exhausted afterwards and fall asleep. Be careful.

MinderMutsig
August 21st, 2012, 02:45 AM
It does make my hair dry and damaged but a couple of moisture treatments are usually enough to fix the worst. You could always protect your hair with a sun product formulated for hair or make your own by mixing some water, conditioner and sunscreen and putting that in a spray bottle. Products formulated for colored hair often also contain UV filters that protect the hair from the sun.

clairenewcastle
August 21st, 2012, 02:55 AM
Sun damaged my hair badly over the years, to such an extent that now I always cover it with a scarf when I'm out in the sun for an extended period of time.

Rufflebutt
August 21st, 2012, 05:16 AM
For me, sun bleaching has never been a serious issue. Unless you spend a significant amount of time in the sun there's no need to worry.

cooklaezo13
August 21st, 2012, 07:33 AM
I also have light ashy brown (or dark blonde) hair that bleaches easily in the sun. Sun bleaching damaged my hair, made it feel like straw, but it was from spending a LOT of time in the sun. Working outside in full sun for at least 8 hours every day, for three months. Now I cover my head with a scarf or hat when I'm in the sun.
I don't think that slight exposure (just a few hours) will affect your hair much.

Pandora.
August 21st, 2012, 09:53 AM
It doesn't for me, well for the most part. A few deep conditions and my hair is soft again. I went to Tenerife for 2 weeks in April and my hair was out in the sun pretty much all day most days, but I used a really good conditioner and a leave-in conditioner and had no problems with dry hair.

sharonluvscats
August 21st, 2012, 09:58 AM
I've been wondering about sun damage too. I like to sit out on my porch in the summer and let the sun dry my hair. I haven't noticed any damage but I'm not out there for hours. I really love the color that I get from it and it helped fade my dye. As long as it isn't damaging my hair, I'm going to continue sun drying.

juliaxena
August 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
I don't understand how sun can be so damaging to practically compare with bleach for some? Does anyone have any good link regarding sun damage on hair?

Siiri
August 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
For me it was pretty damaging when I used to use no scarf while working outside the whole summer. It bleached the permanent black dye I had into dark red/brown and made it feel much coarser and drier. I did have more split ends back then too but I'm not sure it was the sun that caused it, it was probably the combination of several things.

Now I always cover my hair with a scarf if I'm spending much time in the sun, but I do notice some sun damage in the top layers which are coarser and lighter. For me moisturizing doesn't really fix it, it helps but only a little.

furnival
August 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM
I work outside every day, and even though we've had so little sun this summer in the UK, I have seen significant damage in the parts of my hair that aren't protected in my bun. It's lighter, more brittle and has the only patches of white dots in my hair...
Usually I wear a head scarf but with the crappy weather I've left it off, and now wish I hadn't. :(

Springlets
August 22nd, 2012, 07:40 PM
I've been wondering about sun damage too. I like to sit out on my porch in the summer and let the sun dry my hair. I haven't noticed any damage but I'm not out there for hours. I really love the color that I get from it and it helped fade my dye. As long as it isn't damaging my hair, I'm going to continue sun drying.

I also dry my hair this way and I just love the sun. There are many days when I go out to sit in the park and read and just let my hair soak up the rays of sunshine. Since I'm growing out Sun-In, I can definitely tell the difference between the bleached bits and my natural hair. My natural hair is a million times softer, smoother, shinier, and healthier. There's been no damage from the sun so I will continue to love it and my hair in the sun. :)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/418593_3729124066877_1411615934_n.jpg

jojo
August 22nd, 2012, 10:19 PM
My hair goes lighter in the sun and the lighter it goes the drier and splitier it goes. So for me I use coconut oil daily whilst out in the sun, it doesn't affect the lightening affect but it does stop the damage.

vanillabones
August 22nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
I don't love the sun, but also like to sit on the porch and air dry! It feels so good. I haven't noticed any sun damage. Many moons ago I used to go to the tanning bed and if I didn't wear the protective hair cap I would notice damage. I think I used to have a lot of sun damage when I was little from being outside 24/7. It lightens my color slightly but I hope this isn't too damaging or I'll want to stop doing it when achieving greater lengths. I also don't like the ombre look.

BrownEyedBeauty
August 24th, 2012, 07:30 AM
My hair has always received sun bleaching and I love it! It has never been a problem in causing much visible damage. I think because I take care of it in so many other ways that the sun bleaching is a smaller factor in the larger scheme of things. It has never left my hair dry either. I can go from a dark blonde to a light-medium blonde with enough sun exposure. I like it so much that I will often leave my hair down on hot, sunny days just to expose more of the length to the sun's rays. It is the only naughty thing that I do to my hair.

Firefly
August 24th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Interesting thread-- I guess everyone's hair is effected differently by the sun. I'm one of those whose hair bleaches very easily in the sun, and it does cause damage to my canopy. I try to cover if I know I'm going to be in the sun for a prolonged period of time.