PDA

View Full Version : Question for Curly hairs

orangeeyecrayon
August 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
since i have been using gentler products on my hair, and wearing my hair up more i have noticed my curls have been getting stronger. specificly the canopy in the back, the curly are slowly approaching the 3b range and i hope with continued healthy care they will get there.

but for the bottom layer of my hair where the curl has always been slightly weaker while it has been getting a stronger curl since the length is over my shoulders now it keeps rubbing my shoulders and losening the the curl to the point where it is barely a wave.

so i was basicly looking for sugestions for what to do to strengthen the curls at the bottom to prevent the losening of the curls.

and for a quick refrence when i do wear my hair curly i brush it when wet, scrunch in coconut oil (or leave in depending on the area i am in my wash cycle) than about half a palm full of volumizing mouse (i know this is bad for your hair but it helps set my curls and i am trying to use it up) than once the hair dries i scrunch it again with coconut oil to get out any crunchy ness.

so any suggestions would be wonderfull

Curlsgirl
August 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Is your hair layered? It could be that the shorter layers are curling better just because they aren't as heavy. Other than that you could flip your hair over and make sure you apply the product more evenly overall. This typically works better for curlies when your hair is still sopping wet. Then you can blot or scrunch with a microfiber or curl-ease towel.

One more thing, the mousse isn't as bad as brushing when wet! :shudder: That is one of the worst things you can do. PLEASE avoid that at all costs! Do you have a wide tooth comb?

Oh and gel works better usually than mousse. Use a gel with no alcohol though and let it dry without touching it all the way. Then lightly scrunch the crunch out and it won't feel stiff anymore. I like LA Looks Sports gel. It's good and it's cheap too :)

orangeeyecrayon
August 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
yup i have gels a plenty (those are next on my list to use up after this last bottle of mouse)

i do have layering, i guess i never considered that because they are circularl layers so every hair on my head is pretty much the same lengh (minus my bangs)

i supose im just confused cause as the bottom layers are getting longer the curl weakens but the top layers as they get longer it almost feels like they are not growing cause the curl is getting tighter and tighter.

i have a feeling it may be a combonation of the distribution of product (as in not enough on the bottom of my hair where it proboably needs it a lot more) and that i use one of those plastic tipped brushes (i know its bad but at least it is not a BBB)

Shanarana
August 8th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I have the opposite problem, my curls will be strong at the bottom and weaker at the top...I contribute that to weight of my hair. I tend to use more product in the weaker areas.

anna1850
August 8th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I find that if I wear my hair down wet and let it dry into curls, the bottom part (nearest my body) is not very curly. This looks weird because I end up with random very slightly wavy bits which are much longer than the rest of my hair which ends in ringlets. It doesn't look good.

I think what causes this is not actually that the hair is less curly, but that the curls rub against my clothes/skin etc. and don't curl properly. The only way I've found to stop this is to let the ends dry in a peacock/waterfall twist (see avatar) and then take the hair down. This allows all the ends to dry in ringlets. However, this works well for me as I don't really get curls near the top of my head anyway (as I'm 2c/3a) but drying it like this would probably destroy any curl pattern on the canopy.

Don't know if anyone else has the same problem but it seems to work for me.

manderly
August 8th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I'm not a curly, but the hair underneath from my nape is far straighther than the rest of my hair. It even holds a curl less well than the rest of my hair. Weird.

tobikay
August 8th, 2008, 05:40 AM
This is funny. I find that the underside of my hair is much much curlier, with stronger spiral curls, than the top side. I find that it seems that when they touch my shoulder, they seem to sit on it and curl like crazy.

Also, I NEVER brush or comb my hair, haven't for years. After I "wash" I finger comb as I am appling oil or leave in or what ever. Between "washes" I don't even try to detangle.

wonderlywroughte
August 8th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I'm not a curly, but the hair underneath from my nape is far straighther than the rest of my hair. It even holds a curl less well than the rest of my hair. Weird.

Same here. I am a curly, but the bottom layer of my hair from my nape is almost completely straight. It feels like it came from someone else's head. :oops:

orangeeyecrayon
August 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
its reasuring to know that i am not the only one who feels like i have diffrent peoples hair but all on my head.

Honey39
August 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I'm a new curly, and it's very variable about which bits curl - the sides curl like crazy, so do the underneath, other bits need coaxing. I find that finger curling when it's wet helps to kind of put it where I want, and then LEAVE IT ALONE!

I find that boots curl creme works amazingly well - it's the texture which seems to bring out the curl without frizz, it's like a cream that i rub between my hands and then coat into my hair.

Ooh, I also read a tip on curlygirl about scrunching - apparently scrunching each section 8 times whilst wet is the magic number...i've been doing that, and it really does coax out all the curl so much more than anything else.

DotDotDot
August 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
its reasuring to know that i am not the only one who feels like i have diffrent peoples hair but all on my head.

Oh, you're definitely not! I'm like wonderlywrought and manderly - the undermost layer of my hair is almost totally straight. The hair on the sides coming from my temples is all about 3b. The hair right next to that coming into the back of my head is about 3a. The top foot or so of all this hair is about 2c. Then I have this little strip in the back that I would only describe as 2b/2c. It's all so weird! My hair just can't make up its mind.

ZaBasDa
August 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
The longer my nape hair gets the straighter it gets. Part of this is because, at least I think so, it rubs against my clothes, is longer, is finer, and is just slightly straighter than the rest of my hair anyway.