PDA

View Full Version : Are oils useless when used over silicones?

bunnylake
August 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM
So I am having a protein overload and the ONLY conditioner in my shower that is protein free is Aussie 3mm, which I just used after clarifying. I was pretty much cone-free for a few weeks, and using pure oils (camellia, coconut, cocoveda from hennasooq) on my ends. My question is, since Aussie 3mm has cones, will my oils even penetrate? Or will I just be wasting them? I always think of silicone as an impermeable casing around the hair shaft, which could be good or bad...

I have never been sensitive to protein before but I hennaed for the first time on Friday so now my hair is reacting differently I guess.

katfemme89
August 20th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately I do not know, but I have wondered this for a LONG time, as well. I hope someone knowledgeable responds soon, because I would really like to know the answer to that.

Tisiloves
August 20th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I find they work well together.

spidermom
August 20th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Unless you have an application method that guarantees that every hair is completely covered in cones, yes - oils still benefit. What usually happens is that cones or oils are distributed through your hair, and you get the benefit of both. If there is too thick a coating of cones in one area, perhaps oil won't be absorbed there, but it will be absorbed in other areas.

Rufflebutt
August 20th, 2012, 09:16 PM
If I remember correctly, the layer is permeable.

vanillabones
August 20th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I use cones and oils and I definitely can tell the difference when I do not use oils. It works well together for me! Wet or dry hair. I like pre wash oiling and post.

truepeacenik
August 20th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Luxepiggy, please pick up the white courtesy phone, Ms. Luxepiggy.

From what I know, you can wash out the cones in one washing, use oils and seal them with cones.

MinderMutsig
August 21st, 2012, 01:25 AM
Unless you have an application method that guarantees that every hair is completely covered in cones, yes - oils still benefit. What usually happens is that cones or oils are distributed through your hair, and you get the benefit of both. If there is too thick a coating of cones in one area, perhaps oil won't be absorbed there, but it will be absorbed in other areas. This. There is just no way that using cones once (or even multiple times) completely covers each strand of hair to the point where nothing else can penetrate.

Amanah
August 21st, 2012, 03:01 AM
From what I understand, silicones and oils do different things for your hair. so both are useful.
You have to experiment to see what combination of oils and silicone gives the best results for you.

I find that oiling my scalp and hair before washing keeps my scalp/hair from getting dried out, and then using cones post wash on damp hair give me the slip I need to be tangle free.

If i do oil post washing, I just oil the very ends with a tiny amount of oil or my hair will look stringy, and often its hard for me to find the right balance.

CaitlinMarie93
August 22nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
I am sure both are useful. I think unless every strand is completely coned it will work!