PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetologists- does school conflict with LHC?

PrettyFit
August 20th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hi All!

I am considering going to beauty school and I am trying to determine wither it will be at all useful/compatible with my current philosophy of hair care. I know they they teach mainstream methods-- and I am fine with that. But did you also learn things that help you with natural hair care (e.g. chemistry etc.)? Or would I be able to learn more on my own using the internet? How much science was involved in your curriculum versus technique (hair cutting, etc)?

What was your experience? Were you into natural hair care while in school? If so, how did you manage that? Did you talk about your hair care routine with your classmates or instructors? How does your LHC membership affect you professionally with your clients?

Please share?
:)

ladyfey
August 20th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I went to school for only a few weeks, years and years ago. Something that blew my mind was that the instructors told us that if a client insists on no hairspray or other styling products - lie to the client and use it anyway, say you are spraying water when it is hairspray and nonsense like that. The reasoning was that the client's hair is advertising your skills and if it doesn't look as good as it could, it can impact your business. I thought that was horrid, it is the clients body and they should get to decide what kind of toxins go on it. Turned me off big time, I quit pretty quickly!

battles
August 20th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I went to school for only a few weeks, years and years ago. Something that blew my mind was that the instructors told us that if a client insists on no hairspray or other styling products - lie to the client and use it anyway, say you are spraying water when it is hairspray and nonsense like that. The reasoning was that the client's hair is advertising your skills and if it doesn't look as good as it could, it can impact your business. I thought that was horrid, it is the clients body and they should get to decide what kind of toxins go on it. Turned me off big time, I quit pretty quickly!

:agape:

Because you can't smell hairspray, right? Oh my goodness. I would never return to a stylist that did something after I specifically asked them not to. Especially with products!

I'm so glad I found a stylist that listens to me. No hairspray, no styling products, usually no heat.

PrettyFit
August 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Wow. Spray it anyway and then lie about it? That is horrible! It sounds like that person was a pretty bad instructor.

Was there anything positive during your time there that you have been able to apply to your current hair care routine?

Tisiloves
August 20th, 2012, 06:26 PM

That's terrible, I'd be so mad. I'm allergic to most brand name hairsprays.

ellen732
August 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I have been a licensed Cosmetologist for 25 years. My clients love hair color, bleach, trendy cuts, blow dryers and flat irons. I use henna, have long hair that I wear up and haven't used heat on my hair in 15 years. We get along beautifully. I can't achieve what my clients want without unnatural techniques. Unless you want to open up an alternative or all natural salon, you are going to have to go mainstream if you want to become a licensed professional.

akilina
August 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I got thru school just fine. I already knew quite a bit of natural hair care, and alternative haircare, and was very open to learn anything.
I do love salon products, and ways of doing things. I also love the "other" way too :]
I did not even go on TLHC while I was in school once. Mostly because I didn't have an interest in this place for some reason :/
I think in the end, once you actually have a license, you can share with your clients what you want to, and don't want to. I have shared with many a more natural approach, and also, read people well enough to know that all they want to hear about is salon products.
I don't think you should let the two conflict.
You can always use your braiding skills, or updo skills, heck, what a perfect way to even perfect them! If I was on tlhc while I was in school, I would have been better at updos, and being creative to make one. I always had issues with thinking up an updo, and I hate them mostly.

ladyfey
August 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Wow. Spray it anyway and then lie about it? That is horrible! It sounds like that person was a pretty bad instructor.

Was there anything positive during your time there that you have been able to apply to your current hair care routine?
Can't say that I apply anything, except how to put in curlers properly. But I haven't done that in years! I did get to keep the supplies, still have the scissors and I had the mannequin head for years. But again, I did not finish school and it was many years ago. :)

sunflower_daze
August 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I went to beauty school, but for nails only. Listening to the girls that were there for hair I would imagine most of what you are told would make a LHC cringe. Most instructors were belittled by the students. 'If ya can't do, teach.' Plus you have to do a certain number of every service to pass. Perms, colors, styles, even finger waves. At least ten years ago you did. I bet you would be given some chemical advise because of the different levels of bleach. You could look into your state board requirements for a breakdown. Or go to a school as an interested student. Just a thought.

akilina
August 20th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Another thought- my favorite instructor in my senior class of beauty school was ALWAYS letting us in on hints about keeping the integrity of the clients hair.

It was very nice. She always told us that generally, 10 vol developer will almost always work perfectly no matter what. Of course there are certain situations where it wont work and you need something a little stronger, but she was 100% right.

She also let us in on a secret of if the hair might be a little damaged, she would tell us to add in a really deep conditioner (just a few pumps of sebastian penetrait) and it seriously helped keep my hair intact. It is sort of like the idea of how some of us put coconut oil in our bleach, or apply coconut oil pre oil treatment.

I think the biggest thing is that hopefully you are to run into an amazing instructor, that is passionate about teaching their skill, and also keeping hairs integrity and well being in mind.

I passed my Nevada state board test with a 96%. I moved to California though in april, and failed my test last month here :( I have been pretty depressed over it.

truepeacenik
August 20th, 2012, 08:11 PM
So...is there a holistic hair are movement or trend?

I know that my hair, on the two times it was down as I was leaving work (hint, don't over-torque buns), got many comments from the cosmologists.

I will say that I got my first piece of useful hair care info from a salon owner. She had hair just past waist, back when I thought that was long, and she smiled and said: olive oil.
I still prefer it.
She was ecstatic to have a client growing hair (and getting her eyebrows threaded). She had progress pictures of me for a couple years.
We would up getting along well, to the point that I helped her fill out her citizenship application just before I moved away. Explained community property concepts, since in her eyes, the house was her husband's economic possession.
I found out that he was very generous with gold jewelry!

fairview
August 20th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hi All!

I am considering going to beauty school and I am trying to determine wither it will be at all useful/compatible with my current philosophy of hair care. I know they they teach mainstream methods-- and I am fine with that. But did you also learn things that help you with natural hair care (e.g. chemistry etc.)? Or would I be able to learn more on my own using the internet? How much science was involved in your curriculum versus technique (hair cutting, etc)?

What was your experience? Were you into natural hair care while in school? If so, how did you manage that? Did you talk about your hair care routine with your classmates or instructors? How does your LHC membership affect you professionally with your clients?

Please share?
:)

First, understand that the goal of any cosmetology school in any state is to obtain the highest student state board passing rate possible. They do this for several reasons but the most important is that this number is a reportable number, as in public information, that must be readily posted or easily available to anyone wanting it. More importantly it is a number the federal government is quite interested in. If it falls below the threshold, then student's at that school will not be eligible for federal aid. That wouldn't be good for the school.

To ensure students pass the state board, schools must teach to the test. The Milady textbook is just about the national standard. If you want to see what you will be taught, visit the local library. IMO, if you don't need to think to exhale, you will probably pass the state theory test without problems.

Your philosophy of hair care is of no issue unless you will be opening a niche salon. Any product/chemical used in the salon is required to have an MSDS and an EPA registration number so that virtually eliminates any 'natural' product that isn't produced. bottled and labeled by a recognized manufacturer. If you do turn a blind eye to that, it will be very costly The hair care philosophy of each guest is what is important and what they want is important if making a profit and eating is important to you. Giving the customer what they want without melting their hair off their head is what's important.

Mya
August 21st, 2012, 01:55 AM
It was very nice. She always told us that generally, 10 vol developer will almost always work perfectly no matter what.
That's what my lovely hairdresser says too. She's the only hairdresser I've ever trusted. She always does what she's asked for and never tries to add something unwanted.

Don't get discouraged because of a failed test. The important thing is to keep on trying. :blossom:

PrettyFit
August 21st, 2012, 12:18 PM
I got thru school just fine. I already knew quite a bit of natural hair care, and alternative haircare, and was very open to learn anything.
I do love salon products, and ways of doing things. I also love the "other" way too :]
I did not even go on TLHC while I was in school once. Mostly because I didn't have an interest in this place for some reason :/
I think in the end, once you actually have a license, you can share with your clients what you want to, and don't want to. I have shared with many a more natural approach, and also, read people well enough to know that all they want to hear about is salon products.
I don't think you should let the two conflict.
You can always use your braiding skills, or updo skills, heck, what a perfect way to even perfect them! If I was on tlhc while I was in school, I would have been better at updos, and being creative to make one. I always had issues with thinking up an updo, and I hate them mostly.

This was my plan, and it is good to know that it works well in practice. I imagine it is like being an herbalist who has an M.D.

First, understand that the goal of any cosmetology school in any state is to obtain the highest student state board passing rate possible. They do this for several reasons but the most important is that this number is a reportable number, as in public information, that must be readily posted or easily available to anyone wanting it. More importantly it is a number the federal government is quite interested in. If it falls below the threshold, then student's at that school will not be eligible for federal aid. That wouldn't be good for the school.

To ensure students pass the state board, schools must teach to the test. The Milady textbook is just about the national standard. If you want to see what you will be taught, visit the local library. IMO, if you don't need to think to exhale, you will probably pass the state theory test without problems.

Your philosophy of hair care is of no issue unless you will be opening a niche salon. Any product/chemical used in the salon is required to have an MSDS and an EPA registration number so that virtually eliminates any 'natural' product that isn't produced. bottled and labeled by a recognized manufacturer. If you do turn a blind eye to that, it will be very costly The hair care philosophy of each guest is what is important and what they want is important if making a profit and eating is important to you. Giving the customer what they want without melting their hair off their head is what's important.

I did not realize that- but it makes sense. So I wouldn't be able do herbal treatments or henna someone's hair even if they wanted it? :( That stinks. Could I lose my license over it?:confused:

I have been a licensed Cosmetologist for 25 years. My clients love hair color, bleach, trendy cuts, blow dryers and flat irons. I use henna, have long hair that I wear up and haven't used heat on my hair in 15 years. We get along beautifully. I can't achieve what my clients want without unnatural techniques. Unless you want to open up an alternative or all natural salon, you are going to have to go mainstream if you want to become a licensed professional.

Well despite my interest in growing healthy hair, I am a whiz with the flat iron! :) I don't have a problem learning and performing mainstream hair care, I was just wondering if anything I learn in hair school could be applied to natural hair care.... I guess wondering about the degree of overlap between the two. But from what people are describing, it will be like living in two completely separate worlds.

Thanks to everyone who responded! The insight has been informative. I appreciate it!