PDA

View Full Version : Buns for SL?

Perididdle
August 20th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I've always looooved buns/braids, but when I was a kid I was far too impatient for it and my thick hair always ate up the length I did have (I have a 4'' ponytail when I don' have any curl, and it seems as soon as you start wrapping/braiding, it just gobbles up the length in a flash). Now that I'm here but still at shoulder, I'm so envious of beautiful, practical buns people can use. Are there any suggestions for those of us still early in the growing process, and even better, who ALSO have thick hair?

I usually just wrap my hair around itself when I need to work out or I'm oiling the ends or whatever, but it's not very pretty -- the bulk of the thickness is gone in half a wrap, it ends up sort of bulging to one site. Not attractive. =P Part of this is because of layers and not just thick hair, but it's still a pain!

Today I figured out that I could ponytail it loosely, then split in two...I twisted and wrapped the left side around to the left, and the right around to the right. I was able to band it off and get a sort of twisty, though very messy, secure and balanced little bun. Yaaay!

Madora
August 20th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I've always looooved buns/braids, but when I was a kid I was far too impatient for it and my thick hair always ate up the length I did have (I have a 4'' ponytail when I don' have any curl, and it seems as soon as you start wrapping/braiding, it just gobbles up the length in a flash). Now that I'm here but still at shoulder, I'm so envious of beautiful, practical buns people can use. Are there any suggestions for those of us still early in the growing process, and even better, who ALSO have thick hair?

I usually just wrap my hair around itself when I need to work out or I'm oiling the ends or whatever, but it's not very pretty -- the bulk of the thickness is gone in half a wrap, it ends up sort of bulging to one site. Not attractive. =P Part of this is because of layers and not just thick hair, but it's still a pain!

Today I figured out that I could ponytail it loosely, then split in two...I twisted and wrapped the left side around to the left, and the right around to the right. I was able to band it off and get a sort of twisty, though very messy, secure and balanced little bun. Yaaay!

You've discovered the secret of sectioning thick hair. If you divide it you'll find it is easier to style. It is rather short at present, but you might want to experiment with sectioning..i.e.

make a horizontal part around the back of your head...from the top of one ear to the top of the other. Comb out all the hair above the part and loosely braid it. Coil in a braid and pin with crimped hairpins (not bobby pins. Bobby pins are not meant for anything remotely heavy).

Take the remaining hair and comb out, then braid and wind it around the braid already in place.

SPECIAL NOTE: Since your hair is still short, you might find it easier to bend your head and braid the remaining hair as close to the bun already in place. Using gravity to your advantage sometimes makes braiding easier.

Alternately, you might want to try the lace crown braid, which uses only two strands of hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Whatever hairstyle you try, be sure that you do not pull your hair tightly so you don't put too much pressure on your roots! Good luck!

Miss Maisie
August 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I've been doing this with my hair since SL (I think she curls hers, but I usually left mine it's natural 1c/2a): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qnIe6mpz9U&feature=channel&list=UL

lapushka
August 20th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Madora's on to something here, because I wore a peacock twist for a long long time, still do actually and I'm past hip length. Buns is something to start to consider at about BSL or so with hair that thick.

battles
August 20th, 2012, 06:16 PM
My pony is 3.5" and I still couldn't get a bun to hold until past APL.

Though, I'm quite sure a peacock twist with a fork would have held pretty well before then. I just didn't have a fork. :(

Vrindi
August 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Find a ballerina! It's part of dancer DNA to get any length hair in a bun. I think the sectioning method would work beautifully, also try a bun donut (you can make one out of a sock. Cut off the toe and role the sock into a donut.) Make a ponytail, pull it through the sock, and split the ponytail in the middle, spreading it around to cover the sock on all sides. Wrap loose ends and pin.

WaitingSoLong
August 20th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I did sloppy buns at that length but that was about it. However, that was way before TLHC and I did not know what a hair stick or fork was or spin pins, etc.

I would gather my hair in an elastic up at my crown and pull the loop through upsidedown (so the tail is at the top) and then not pull it through all the way, let the ends be little tassles that hung down around the "bun". I would spritz, scrunch and hairspray to make them"curly" (my hair is straight, as you can see).

SIGH. I miss that.

frogs
August 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hi! Im at shoulder length as well and somebody on LCH posted this link a while ago (canīt remember who it was though, im sorry..) and it is a blog with tutorials on SL hair. http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/p/hair-tutorials.html i checked it out and found loads of inspiration for hairstyles that i can actually pull of with my length. Enjoy! :)

Aqua Gal
August 21st, 2012, 09:52 AM
A lot depends on whether you have layers or not. When I was at SL, I liked a french braid. If it's too short for 1 braid, 2 side by side braids require much less length. I also loved the peacock twist! A topsy tail pony is also very cute. You can roll the bottom up and pin.

BTW, I love the crown braid that Madora posted. I am incompetent at side braiding, but that twist is so easy!

einna
August 21st, 2012, 10:01 AM
I second the double buns, with sectioning idea. Also, you could do half ups.