PDA

View Full Version : Saw A Man Wearing A Barrette

Vanille_
August 20th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I was at UPS the other day standing behind a guy with blond a bit past shoulder level straight hair pulled into a barrette at the nape of his neck. I was reminded of a post a while back from a guy wondering how best to put his hair back. He wondered if buns were too feminine and was considering a braid or ponytail. I have never seen a guy wear a barrette - but it looked great! It was a simple brown one - kind of medium-long length.

I hope this catches on because I'd love to see men have more options for long hair styles. I mean - they have every option, but Id love to see them all go mainstream.

I did a google search for men and barrettes and couldn't find what I saw.

1nuitblanche
August 20th, 2012, 03:40 PM
That's interesting. I never would have thought of guys using barrettes in order to look more masculine with long hair.

einna
August 20th, 2012, 04:08 PM
That sounds great. Might be an idea for a gift for my long haired brother.

gthlvrmx
August 20th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Woohoo! Sounds awesome!!

In2wishin
August 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Good. I hope more men feel comfortable with something other than a ponytail holder. Don't we have a male member here that wears a Flexi-8?

spirals
August 20th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I happen to think a bit of ribbon looks nice as well, sort of a nod to the 18th century. And aren't there some cultures where men wear buns with sticks? In Bali men and women wear flowers in the hair. I don't think I'll see that catch on in my lifetime here.

neko_kawaii
August 20th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I remember being in a jewelry store in Zuni and the male friend I was browsing with confessed that he loved the jewelry but the selection that he considered "masculine" was minimal. He did find a lovely wide silver bracelet with bear prints that he bought. I bet it would look equally amazing and "masculine" as a barrette.

WaitingSoLong
August 20th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Don't we have a male member here that wears a Flexi-8?

I think Pierre has one in his avatar. I could be mistaken.

ratgirldjh
August 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I've seen a couple of guys wearing barettes and the were both in line at the post office in front of me (at different times!).

One of them I complimented him on his hairstyle - which was a braid and then the barrette was holding the ends. It was one of those leather ones with a stick through it kind of biker looking really.

The other guy sounds like the guy Vanille posted about! A big blond guy with about shoulder length hair with it pulled back with a brown barrette. I think he was german but I don't know why exactly.

I LOVE seeing guys who have done SOMETHING to their hair! And I don't mean hairspray or something like that - I mean braids (esp.), dreads, anything different - and of course having LONGish hair - makes my day :)

sun-kissed
August 20th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I could see a guy wearing something like this (http://nothinglikeleather.com/numo/modules/shopping_cart/uploads/u1.1302744049.lg_2tone_barrette%20(640x469).jpg) in his hair. It'd be nice if more could get away with styling their hair without getting teased/scoffed at for it. Perhaps someday...

spirals
August 20th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I like to see men wear jewelry, too. I don't like overly chunky rings or heavy chains, because I don't like those in general. But multiple rings, bracelets, beaded necklaces, earrings, all at the same time even, are good. When I was in school that was the style. I was in love with my best friend and I still remember all the jewelry he had, and he was not girly. Guy was built like a lumberjack.

Kaelee
August 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I think certain barettes/sticks/etc look very masculine actually!

On a whim I tried to google professional styles for long hair (I happen to think that a bun with a simple stick would look very professional) but there just aren't any. Professional men apparently have short hair, period.

Also "long hair" for men seems to mean chin length at most. :(

Just...sad.

trolleypup
August 20th, 2012, 10:27 PM
OK, this only if you have sufficient self-confidence and the style to wear it.
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/hairclip-360sparkly-sm.jpg

A nice ponytailer...
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/haircuff-tiny.jpg

While I don't wear most of these any more, the celtic knot slide in the middle lives in my everyday hair kit
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/hairtoys-new-060501-sm.jpg
And...www.bronzejewelers.com has a particularly large selection of stuff that isn't stereotypically girly.

My older standby two toned wood barrette...
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/hair-snow-olympic-030308.jpg

Oh wait! This isn't too feminine either...
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/060810-WatermelonSlide-med.jpg
Which also highlights the stainless steel chopstick I use for my everyday bun.

akilina
August 20th, 2012, 10:39 PM
LOL, The only thing I can think of, is that I think its super cute when you see a man who is obviously manly and hard working and bad ass, yet hes wearing two french braids ^___^
It reminds me of Chris Pontius from Wild Boyz
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m77xppwN3i1qaonh9o1_1280.jpg <---heres a link to a picture. The photo is from tumblr so no scary virus risk there.

Usually, I see men that actually look really similar to him doing this.
And usually its like the construction worker type, or framer.

Gross part- I think hes pretty attractive :D

fairview
August 20th, 2012, 11:46 PM
As long as you wear it with self confidence, men or women can wear anything they wish. 20 years ago when I had hair between the shoulder blades, I routinely wore it in a french braid - in public. Never thought about a barrette because the braid kept it out of the way. While attending cosmo school, I have self taught myself to do sculptured nails in both acrylic and gel. If I have been working on engines over the weekend,, I will actually sport a subtle french manicure until I work all the grease and grime out from under them. At 55 and male, it drives the youngins crazy that I keep my hands in better shape than they do. I ask them how they would feel if their stylist had hands with dirt under their nails like theirs?

As far as comments about my constant state of manicure. Those that know me, know that I have been taught a unique skill set courtesy of the US taxpayer. Those that don't know me and feel compelled to make comment, if I have the time and in the mood, I will let them know that I have this unique skill set and ask if they would like me to demonstrate it on (oops I really meant FOR) them.

Heatherzilla
August 21st, 2012, 12:47 AM
I love seeing men with awesome hair things. Looks nice. I see a lot of guys around here sporting awesome "man buns". Less with pretty hair accessories, but I have trouble even finding things for my hair around here that are nice.

Also, adding some support in here for nicely groomed hands. I'd much rather see that on anyone than see bitten or dirty nails.

Kittney
August 21st, 2012, 03:42 AM
The barrette does work, cool! I usually never see men wear their hair up, my boyfriend refuses to. Anyway my lab partner wears his hair in messy buns all the time, it looks really cool.

CharleaMurphy
August 21st, 2012, 03:47 AM
I read this wrong.
I thought you said you saw a man wearing a bralette.
:laugh:
I'm so glad he WASN'T wearing a bralette.

david
August 21st, 2012, 04:39 AM
I wear barrettes all the time as alternatives to the boring old hair tie. I actually find that they are less painful to wear than hair ties for longer periods. It also looks more formal. I usually try to get barrettes that are fairly plain or match my hair colour, nothing too crazy.

browneyedsusan
August 21st, 2012, 06:03 AM
I read this wrong.

THAT'S quite a mental picture!
:rollin::rollin::rollin:

SwordWomanRiona
August 21st, 2012, 06:10 AM
That sounds awesome! I'm glad there are more long-haired men daring to use more than an elastic and a low ponytail, the 'only masculine option' according to society!

There's a guy at university who has long dreadlocks and he often wears them in a bun. It looks great! Not at all 'ridiculous' or 'unmanly', as close-minded society would think.

SwordWomanRiona
August 21st, 2012, 06:15 AM
OK, this only if you have sufficient self-confidence and the style to wear it.
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/hairclip-360sparkly-sm.jpg

A nice ponytailer...
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/haircuff-tiny.jpg

While I don't wear most of these any more, the celtic knot slide in the middle lives in my everyday hair kit
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/hairtoys-new-060501-sm.jpg
And...www.bronzejewelers.com has a particularly large selection of stuff that isn't stereotypically girly.

My older standby two toned wood barrette...

Oh wait! This isn't too feminine either...
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/060810-WatermelonSlide-med.jpg
Which also highlights the stainless steel chopstick I use for my everyday bun.

Wow, trolleypup, those are some amazing hairtoys!! I love your Celtic barrettes *wants!* :)

Pierre
August 21st, 2012, 06:58 AM
I think Pierre has one in his avatar. I could be mistaken.
You called?

The Flexis in my hair now (I nearly always wear them in pairs) are the four-petaled ones. I still have the snowflake Flexis, but don't wear them that much.

WaitingSoLong
August 21st, 2012, 11:12 AM
You called?

HA HA yes! For once my stupid memory was RIGHT! I am so stinkinproud of myself I should celebrate. I think I will eat some Doritoes.

RedheadMistress
August 21st, 2012, 12:32 PM
- What's a barrette ?

I've been looking for that bun thread because I saw a dude wearing a messy bun on top of his hair and it loooked so beautiful and totally masculine and really hot hah but yeah people can totally pull it off. idk what kinda stick he had, I didn't wanna look overly fascinated and make him feel weird . .

Vanille_
August 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM

- What's a barrette ?

It looked like the one in the picture above. :)

In2wishin
August 21st, 2012, 01:11 PM
You called?

The Flexis in my hair now (I nearly always wear them in pairs) are the four-petaled ones. I still have the snowflake Flexis, but don't wear them that much.

I'm sorry I couldn't remember your name, Pierre. At least your avatar made an impression:D

HairySherry
August 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Ooh, I love a man with a long braid. I'm talking a Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones kind of braid... yum, yum! :eyebrows:

I recently saw in a magazine a picture of Russell Brand wearing a top-knot style bun. Of course, the magazine was making fun of him, but I thought it looked kind of cool, actually! I love it when people aren't afraid of being "different."

I think one of the reasons society tends to poo-poo men with long hair is that you often get the impression that long-haired guys are kind of hillbilly-ish (I'm from WV, I can say that!) and dirty. A lot of guys with long hair have kind of gross looking hair, from what I've personally seen. I'd LOVE to see more long-haired men with well taken care of hair. Most of the guys I see with long hair smell like a week's worth of cigarettes and are sorta gross, which is unfortunate. Y'all need to tell your brothers to stop making you look bad!

Aeltt
August 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM
There's a singer who's known for wearing hair clips here.
http://s.plurielles.fr/mmdia/i/25/6/julien-dore-et-sa-barrette-4380256bdusy_2041.jpg
As long as there isn't a flower/hello kitty/bow on it (unless you're a decora boy or something) i think it looks good :)

QMacrocarpa
August 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM
My goodness, it's about twenty years ago now, so I guess it made an impression: I was ever-so-slightly acquainted with a long-haired guy in college who often wore his ponytail secured with a plain barrette. I was a big fan of that look, and his confidence in carrying it off. He was from California, and at the time I vaguely thought that maybe the guys out there were a bit more avant-garde with their hair than the rest of the country.

Alun
August 22nd, 2012, 12:26 AM
I read this wrong.

What's a bralette?

sakuraemily
August 22nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Thats actually kinda cool.

Sheltie_Momma
August 22nd, 2012, 08:08 AM
I once had a nice long conversation with a young man about how to keep the hair out of his face for work and sports. I taught him the trick to sewing snappy pins on the inside of his bandannas and also the one where you wear a stretchy plastic headbands (the ones that look like a row of v's) underneath a do-rag or bandanna or helmet. He seemed genuinely pleased to have some new options.

missketi
August 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
This is very cool. I think it looks very neat and in style. I hope I see a guy wearing a barrette or with braids. I would stop him and compliment his hair.:crush:

Aredhel77
August 22nd, 2012, 10:13 AM
What's a bralette?

I had to Google this myself - it's apparently a bit like a short corset :D

KwaveT
August 22nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
To me the bralette basically look like a bra. They are basically an unlined, unpadded, no underwire bras. They are basically no support bras. They are going to work best for small breasted women.

EdG
August 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM
We are going to have to work on improving the dictionary. :rolleyes:

bar·rette   [buh-ret]
noun
a clasp for holding a woman's or girl's hair in place.

Ed

WaitingSoLong
August 22nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Does it really say that Ed?

EdG
August 22nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Yes, some of the on-line dictionaries say that. Others don't assume the wearer is female.
Ed

WaitingSoLong
August 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
Wow. It seems completely unnecessary to add a gender in the definition. Sheesh.

EdG
August 22nd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Or even mention a species.

My childhood dog (male shih-tzu) used to wear a barrette. It kept his hair out of his eyes. :)
Ed

rowie
August 22nd, 2012, 07:14 PM
Good. I hope more men feel comfortable with something other than a ponytail holder. Don't we have a male member here that wears a Flexi-8?

Yes, there is me as well. I collect many hair toys as a side hobby and also another reason why i'm growing out my hair. I need hair tools or hair art, whatever you like to call them, to tame the beast of hairs I have. :D

Vanille_
August 22nd, 2012, 09:48 PM
We are going to have to work on improving the dictionary. :rolleyes:

bar·rette   [buh-ret]
noun
a clasp for holding a woman's or girl's hair in place.

Ed

If I remember correctly, the ending -ette is a french ending for "feminine" words.

EdG
August 23rd, 2012, 08:01 AM
If I remember correctly, the ending -ette is a french ending for "feminine" words.

We might have to say "he was wearing a bar"... or "barr?"... "barre?" ;)
Ed

pepperminttea
August 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
I emailed Dictionary.com about it. Power to the (hairy) people? :lol:

browneyedsusan
August 23rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Or even mention a species.

My childhood dog (male shih-tzu) used to wear a barrette. It kept his hair out of his eyes. :)
Ed

I thought "ette" tacked on the end, meant little or small? --cigarette, rosette? Then it would be gender/species neutral!

In2wishin
August 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM

I thought "ette" tacked on the end, meant little or small? --cigarette, rosette? Then it would be gender/species neutral!

This was my understanding also. I thought "ene/enne" or "ess" indicated female. (comedienne, poetess, heroine)

Vanille_
August 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
This was my understanding also. I thought "ene/enne" or "ess" indicated female. (comedienne, poetess, heroine)

I took french in high school. That was long ago that I am probably wrong. I thought it was -et for masculine and -ette for feminine.

Vanille_
August 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM

That makes sense

dawnss
August 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Well since I do not speak French I cannot comment on the posts before me lol. I will say that I have never seen a man wear a hair toy and I think it would be pretty cool if I did. OP I really think your cat is pretty and In2wishin your kitty is really pretty as well.

What can we do to encourage more men to grow their hair long and to wear hair toys?

yurikome
August 24th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Ooh can't wait till boyfriend's hair is long enough for clipping back like that :) So far it's ponytails, and little twists which he's pinning with a hairstick I made :) Anything to encourage him to keep growing it, he's a wonderful 1a/C/iii - some strands red, some strands blonde, pretty freaky, yet all natural (and much more manageable since I read around the forums here a bit).

jextxadore
August 24th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Just wanted to point out that Flexi8 markets itself as "Flexible & Unique Hair Clips & Barrettes for Women."

jextxadore
August 24th, 2012, 09:13 AM
(Sorry for the double post, but I just want to point out that my previous post meant that I'm just a bit…annoyed(?) about the "for Women" bit, not that I have a problem with anyone wearing anything in their hair.)

herdaughter77
August 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM
My aunt's boyfriend has always worn his hair like this as long as I can remember. It looks really good on him!

spirals
August 24th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I took french in high school. That was long ago that I am probably wrong. I thought it was -et for masculine and -ette for feminine.

You're right. It refers to whether the word itself is masculine or feminine. But the m or f quality of the word doesn't always denote the quality of the object it refers to. That's the one thing I remember about french.

LuXious
August 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Somebody needs to come up with this: Masculine hair toys. Hmmm.

Alun
August 25th, 2012, 02:20 AM
You're right. It refers to whether the word itself is masculine or feminine. But the m or f quality of the word doesn't always denote the quality of the object it refers to. That's the one thing I remember about french.

I think that's the key point. I don't think a feminine ending on a word for an object need imply that it's for use by the feminine gender atall. I've seen guys wearing them plenty of times.

Just for laughs, here's the definition of barrette from the Dictionaire Larousse:

barrette
nom féminin (de barre )

Définitions de barrette

Broche longue et étroite.
Épingle à fermoir pour retenir les cheveux.
Ruban de décoration monté sur un support rectangulaire et se fixant sur l'uniforme.
Broderie
Sorte de bride reliant entre eux deux motifs dans un espace vide.
Habillement
Petite tige rigide utilisée pour fixer les pointes d'un col de chemise, percées d'un œillet (col à barrette).
Textiles
Pièce métallique plate, garnie d'aiguilles, équipant les machines de préparation, en filature de lin, de jute et de laine.

I think the one we are looking for is "Épingle à fermoir pour retenir les cheveux" - nothing in that about the gender of the wearer. OTOH, Ed correctly identified that the masculine form is barre.

david
August 25th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Somebody needs to come up with this: Masculine hair toys. Hmmm.

That would be awesome.

jextxadore
August 25th, 2012, 08:58 AM

As far as I'm aware, the gender of nouns in Romance and Germanic languages has no relation to the gender of the user; if there were, there'd be more products targeted at hermaphrodites. :p

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender#Grammatical_vs._natural_gender

justgreen
August 25th, 2012, 10:15 AM
This (http://www.nwtreasuretrove.com/hair-clips.html)has been a favorite site of mine for years. My faves are the 'cuffs'.

SwordWomanRiona
August 25th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Wow. It seems completely unnecessary to add a gender in the definition. Sheesh.

Agreeing! It's so unnecessary. Blast sexism!

SwordWomanRiona
August 25th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Yep, 'barrette' is a feminine noun, but grammatical gender is arbitrary (unless the noun refers to a person, and even then there are exceptions). Adjectives referring to women/female beings, ending in -ette, are another thing. But barrette's a noun, so the gender's arbitrary in that case.

So no, the folks from the dictionary have no excuse for their sexism :D

Anapeli
August 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I think It looks good on certain styles but not all men can pull that off. DH can't. It would log weird on him

SwordWomanRiona
August 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I emailed Dictionary.com about it. Power to the (hairy) people? :lol:

Awesome :D!

EdG
August 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I emailed Dictionary.com about it. Power to the (hairy) people? :lol:Very cool, thanks! :thumbsup:

dictionary.com should also not rule out hair toys for canines. :puppy: :lol:
Ed

Amber_Maiden
August 25th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I think that men would look good with barrettes. It shouldn't just be a female thing.

yahirwaO.o
April 19th, 2015, 11:43 PM
I would never ever though wearing a barrette in my life, but like most things that come with long hair as a man (also this site kinda encourages) I saw a great, beautiful and also manly brown leather barrette that was screaming to be put in my hair. Gonna get it any time soon.

And well I already use bobby pins in a side part so this is kinda next step for me :p... a fast pic to prove that we MEN CAN WEAR WHATEVER WE WANT AND STILL BE A MAN!!!

http://i58.tinypic.com/11m9flz.jpg

....Gotta do somethign with this looped sided photos, but here its and idea.

Now apart from my bandanas these bobby pins are the most coloful thing I have and feel comfortable with (pretty much everything is really black). Now flexis and any pink stuff would intimidate LOL!!! :p

Calypso
April 20th, 2015, 02:39 AM
I think some barettes can look very masculine. HairAroundNature on etsy is a great shop for more gender neutral hair toys, as lots of them are made of wood and antler and look a bit more rugged. This one's a good example - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/174934814/wooden-hair-barrette-accessory-clip?ref=shop_home_active_13 (http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/amber_isabella/temporary_15.jpg)

MINAKO
April 20th, 2015, 03:33 AM
What? That's really something i wouldn't even notice unless its for spectacular hair itself. I dont see a difference between a barrette or a ponytail holder, let alone the gender specific question. Any way a hairtoy comes it has to match the needs of functionality first if you ask me, so whoever has enough hair might as well wear a barrette. For a more decorative purpose i thi.nk thats ok as well, as long as the overall style pulls together nicely. If a guy is all elven prince and wants to wear the crystal flexi or something, hell why not. :shrug:

pixiepaws
April 20th, 2015, 05:44 AM
There's a singer who's known for wearing hair clips here.
http://s.plurielles.fr/mmdia/i/25/6/julien-dore-et-sa-barrette-4380256bdusy_2041.jpg
As long as there isn't a flower/hello kitty/bow on it (unless you're a decora boy or something) i think it looks good :)

My husband wears kirby grips/ bobby pins. I think it looks good ,he wears it for practical reasons. But I love the idea of wearing a Barrette, for practical reasons and a form of self expression

yahirwaO.o
April 20th, 2015, 03:39 PM
My husband wears kirby grips/ bobby pins. I think it looks good ,he wears it for practical reasons. But I love the idea of wearing a Barrette, for practical reasons and a form of self expression

Yeah mostly when I wear my hair down and wantt it r out my face without braiding or bunning. Still I like it for decorative reasons sometimes and maybe as an statement!!!

EdG
April 20th, 2015, 09:13 PM
yahirwaO.o - thanks for bumping up this thread.

I too am now a hair toy wearer (with sticks). I don't see why men shouldn't wear hair toys... the obvious reason is to hold up one's hair. :shrug:
Ed

flemeister
April 21st, 2015, 03:06 AM
Daily wearer of a Flexi-8 here (medium size, black nickel Celtic knot). Done for practical reasons, for work, with a CNC router and grinding wheels about. Hair gets done up in a lazy wrap bun which is quick and easy. Works a treat. :)

pixiepaws
April 21st, 2015, 03:25 AM
Yeah mostly when I wear my hair down and wantt it r out my face without braiding or bunning. Still I like it for decorative reasons sometimes and maybe as an statement!!!

That's cool- you have lovely hair by the way

Am trying to get my husband to grow long hair, Men look great with long hair and he has the most amazing curls he has better hair than me.

yahirwaO.o
April 21st, 2015, 02:41 PM
yahirwaO.o - thanks for bumping up this thread.

I too am now a hair toy wearer (with sticks). I don't see why men shouldn't wear hair toys... the obvious reason is to hold up one's hair. :shrug:
Ed

Yes EdG no problem, toys are used mainly for that....Id like to wear fancy and edgy sticks, but my hair is slippery that no matter what it comes undone. But I like playing with bandanas in mutiple ways and those craft store yarns make nice hippie headbands and wrap around buns-braids that totally rock!! :rockerdud

That's cool- you have lovely hair by the way

Am trying to get my husband to grow long hair, Men look great with long hair and he has the most amazing curls he has better hair than me.

Thanks pixiepaws... Have notice that girls usually say that type of comment when a guy decides to grow it out, maybe because we dont mess with it that much, Samsom genes?... Just a guess really :p

enting
October 10th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I just bought the long haired man in my life a brown barrette for his hair :) I wanted to get him something that would be easy to use and look nice. I think it works on both counts. I also like that it is understated without being casual the way a plain elastic could be.

yahirwaO.o
October 10th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I just bought the long haired man in my life a brown barrette for his hair :) I wanted to get him something that would be easy to use and look nice. I think it works on both counts. I also like that it is understated without being casual the way a plain elastic could be.

A brown barette is perfect! Mine are pretty much brown and black, they look just ok when I want to decorate a plain bun or half up :D

Kirbygrip15
December 17th, 2015, 05:53 AM

It's nice to know your husband wears kirby grips/bobby pins and is growing his hair. I have always had long hair. My mother would use kirby grips and bobby pins in my hair to keep it tidy as a boy. I would go out and about and think nothing of it. I continued to use them in my teens but only at home, not having the courage to go out in them. After we were married my wife started to put clips and barrettes in my hair. with her encouragement, I started to grow my hair during which time she did lots of styles for me with all sorts of hair toys. My hair is now to mid-back, to put it up quickly at home I use ficarre or claw clips. When out if it's not in a plait or pony tail, my wife will fix my bun with either a ketylo hair fork or a flexi8. Long hair and hair toys should not be gender specific, they are practical and as you say a form of self expression. Delighted to hear more men are embracing it.

karenpetal
December 17th, 2015, 11:57 AM
If I am not wearing an English plait I use a barrette - I have a range of them from wooden Celtic style to more fancier ones with with some shine. Glad to see them become more popular !!

Kirbygrip15
December 18th, 2015, 10:43 AM
If I am not wearing an English plait I use a barrette - I have a range of them from wooden Celtic style to more fancier ones with with some shine. Glad to see them become more popular !!

My favoured barrette for my ponytail is also a wooden Celtic one. My wife is keen for me to wear a hair bow in my plait and ponytail - maybe.

Kirbygrip15
December 18th, 2015, 10:45 AM
A brown barette is perfect! Mine are pretty much brown and black, they look just ok when I want to decorate a plain bun or half up :D

How many type of barrettes do you have and what are they?

trolleypup
December 18th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I have a herd of barrettes, although the only one I wear regularly is a celtic knot slide (https://www.etsy.com/listing/117772913/oval-celtic-knot-barrette?ref=shop_home_active_14) from Bronze Jewelers. The others are either wood or metal/sparkly/costume decorations with french backs.

Freija
December 18th, 2015, 05:15 PM
That's so lovely to hear! Not that my opinion is relevant, but... I am a total sucker for men in hair toys, whether understated or shiny, rugged and wooden/metal or softer and more elegant. They just look so good! I bet a Ficcare is especially awesome...

Kirbygrip15
December 20th, 2015, 02:06 AM
That's so lovely to hear! Not that my opinion is relevant, but... I am a total sucker for men in hair toys, whether understated or shiny, rugged and wooden/metal or softer and more elegant. They just look so good! I bet a Ficcare is especially awesome...

Thanks Freija, I am wearing a Ficcare right now.

Kirbygrip15
December 21st, 2015, 02:08 AM

My hair is up in a Claw Clip this morning.

yahirwaO.o
December 23rd, 2015, 06:53 PM

I have a rage from Goody Tortoise black and brown (mostly for half ups and decorative buns) to a leather Aztec Hair slide when I wear a low pony or a low bun!

... But lately I've been pretty active and they dont seem to stay very well on me! So I just wear them for very fancy ocaccions and easy going out stuff!!!

Vijikanth
December 24th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Long ago, when I just started growing my hair, I have seen a couple shopping, the guy had a very clean swept shoulder length ponytail held with a matte finished black barrette and his lady wearing a messy bun.
Also when I was not having the guts to grow my hair I saw a guy entering restaurant with a long thick waist length braid. He also had his girlfriend with him. She too was a long hair. This is so uncommon in India. He does play an important role in strengthening my resolution to grow my hair..:) Thanks to all those guys who inspired me to come out of the shell

Kirbygrip15
August 8th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Ooh can't wait till boyfriend's hair is long enough for clipping back like that :) So far it's ponytails, and little twists which he's pinning with a hairstick I made :) Anything to encourage him to keep growing it, he's a wonderful 1a/C/iii - some strands red, some strands blonde, pretty freaky, yet all natural (and much more manageable since I read around the forums here a bit).
Wish you could clips in my hair