PDA

View Full Version : Trying to embrace my natural hair *pics*

hemolymph
August 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I never ever ever wear my hair natural! But I *NEED* to because my hair is starting to fall out in clumps (I have PCOS) and it's in the worst shape of my life. I need to stop brushing/blow drying.
I've never known how to take care of my hair. It's always been a puff ball, frizzy and fried looking, even when I haven't had it highlighted it's always looked like a brillo pad.

So just some comparison pics of what it looks like when I brush it with a round brush with a blow dryer and when I don't touch it after getting out of the shower:

Brushed, Blow Dried Straight W/ Round Brush
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/OnesOnTheWay/brushedblowdried.jpg

Dried naturally with no comb or brush
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/OnesOnTheWay/naturalnobrush2.jpg

Does anyone have a similar hair type to me have any product or care suggestions? I don't know how to take care of wavy hair. If I brush it at all it turns into a big POOF.

NataschaB.
August 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Just wanted to tell you that I think your hair is much prettier and shinier when it's dried naturally :)

earthnut
August 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I don't think you look bad either way. But if you want to encourage your waves, you should look into the Curly Girl method or conditioner only washing.

The Curly Girl method is basically using no products with sulfates or silicones, and never brushing or blow-drying. It originated with the "Curly Girl Handbook" by Lorraine Massey. www.livecurlylivefree.com and www.naturallycurly.com are excellent online resources on the method.

Conditioner only washing is just that, only using conditioner and rarely shampoo. To avoid buildup, most people avoid silicones (any ingredient that ends with -cone, -xane, or -conol). Avoiding polyquaterniums and can help too. Check out the CO thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) here.

millyaulait
August 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Your hair is GORGEOUS naturally. I would love your curl pattern!

vanillabones
August 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I love your natural hair it is so so pretty :) I envy your waves!

ravenreed
August 20th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I like it better air dried, My hair became less frizzy with the CO method.

akilina
August 20th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Um holy moly!! Your hair looks AMAZING....when you do nothing to it!!
Seriously...it looks 100% better just natural. It is so much "friendlier" looking and also more fun looking.
Maybe a natural curly can come along and offer some good care advice.
I am not curly and don't really know how to personally take care of it if it were on my own head.
I prefer to add a moisturizing curly cream, like curly sexy hairs "curl creme" it smells amazing. But generally here on TLHC, members are more opposed to salon products. :]
Another thing I love is Biolages mousse. Smells amazing and is not drying.
But there I go again. That is a salon product and many have an issue with spending 20 dollars on something that will last you 6 months or more.

Rufflebutt
August 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Why are you so ashamed of your natural hair?? It looks so shiny and pretty. :O

If you have troubles with it being dry, use some leave in conditioner. And if it's falling out in clumps I would recommend using a wide tooth comb instead of a brush because it's more gentle.

Mesmerise
August 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM
From your description I was expecting some horrible hair... but it's not! It's silky and shiny and not frizzy at all!!

Yes, it WILL frizz and fluff up IF you brush it, because it's curly :). It looks to me as if what you did with your hair in the second picture is just about right. I can't see anything wrong with it at all!

CurlyCap
August 20th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I'm a curly so I'm biased, but I really do prefer your hair natural. It looks alive and healthy, whereas the first piccy looks like sad hair, matte, crispy, and without an understand wave/curl pattern.

Read about the curly girl method and embrace your natural hair. It won't be obedient, but it will be AWESOME.

DancingQueen
August 20th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I would guess you are a 2a/b. I am 2c, but maybe some of the things will work for you too. :)

First off, don't wash your hair every day. Curlies and wavies needs lots of moisture, and washing every day helps dry it out. A lot of cur lies likes CO-washing. I would dump the hair dryer as well and start air drying. It is hard at first, but possible. I have only used a hairdryer once since I was 17.

Oiling your hair should help it a lot, it is amazing for cutting down frizz. Personally I like light oils, but you can always experiment wit what works for you. Switching the brush for a wide-tooth comb would probably be a good idea as well, as this will bring out your natural curls without frizz. Some people say a silk pillowcase might help prevent tangles.

Hope it helped a little. Good luck with it. :)

ETA: I know a lot of people don't like cones, but personally, cones are my friend. It really helps me cut down the frizz. (I also use frizz-fighting shampoos and conditioners). But that is different for everyone. :)

ilandree
August 20th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Your hair is so beautiful dried naturally! I would love to have such curls. You are very lucky. I think you should be proud of it.

xoxophelia
August 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Wow the natural is amazing! Just leave it as it is!!

Seriously, when I joined LHC and stopped heat styling my hair was infinitely worse than yours. I was expecting something similar from your photo. Please imagine hair after getting struck by lightning.. yup, that was my hair. The way I dealt with it then was by avoiding mirrors and updos. If you are ever having a seriously bad hair day even 5% of what I had, this should help you also.

As it is though, your hair looks great. Whatever you have done is working just fine. The only suggestion is to give up heat... you will be doing your hair a major favor in the long run.

Tota
August 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Your hair looks much better when it's in its natural shape. Gorgeous, gorgeous wurls! :agape:

MinderMutsig
August 20th, 2012, 04:01 PM
*jumping on the *thud* bandwagon over your natural hair*

I'd look into the curly girl method. Your hair really looks a lot better natural and it suits your face better too.

MasCat
August 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM
You are lovely! Your hair is really beautiful and I'd choose photo number two anytime :)

I hope you find all those comments encouraging and that you'll find strength to embrace your natural hair :)

Love yourself girl!

einna
August 20th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Wow, you have such beautiful curls!
My advice would be to get a wide tooth comb (seamless) and comb carefully when your hair is wet.

hemolymph
August 20th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hey thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I am going to look into the curly method. I guess it kind of make sense you can't brush your hair if you have "wurls".. maybe that's why I've had problems my whole life!

I feel like I realize this every few years but then I forget and go back to straightening it. If I can find a way to beat the frizz and moisturize it, I'll feel better!

lapushka
August 20th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I also agree. Your hair looks best natural. It's gorgeous.

You might want to check out the wavy and curly hair threads here on the LHC.

jeanniet
August 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Those natural waves look gorgeous! I think you just need to learn how to handle your hair, that's all. More moisture (CO, maybe a light leave-in), minimal brushing. I like it natural much better!

spirals
August 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM
You have gorgeous waves. Even if you want to use shampoo, using a rinse-out conditoner and then a leave-in will help keep it moisturized. Just back away from the blowfrier, girly! :p

4C4rly4
August 20th, 2012, 04:54 PM
:O It looks gorgeous in the second picture!

faithsdaisy421
August 20th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Your hair is beautiful with the curls!! Have you tried plopping?

Chimom79
August 20th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I agree with the others, your curly hair is beautiful! I also have PCOS, mercy it can be frustrating huh? I'm sorry about your hair loss and hope you can get it under control.

jojo
August 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Ditch the brush and the hairdryer, your hair looks perfectly lovely in the natural photo. You don't need to kill those curls with a brush or comb just finger comb.

katfemme89
August 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Your hair is GORGEOUS natural.

And I'm sorry to hear that you have PCOS. I just recently underwent an exploratory laparotomy to remove an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit (turns out it was actually on my fallopian tube so they had to remove my fallopian tube :( ) and I also have one the size of a walnut on my other ovary :( There are supposed to be some natural remedies that can help you cope with pcos... have you tried any of them?

LuXious
August 20th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Geez, I wish my hair looked like that. Except for that one little straight sproing sticking out where it's pinned down (mine does that, too when it's that long) it looks styled. It's gorgeous! You're crazy! : ) Enjoooooy it!

MonicaJean
August 21st, 2012, 12:32 AM
Wow, I would kill for your natural hair. O.O That's what I'm always wishing my waves would turn into, but they just flop. :( Anyway, I hope you can come to a point where you can see how beautiful it is. :)

Shanny911
August 21st, 2012, 12:36 AM
Natural!!!!! Embrace what you got! (:

oktobergoud
August 21st, 2012, 01:01 AM
I loooove your texture!! My natural hair is more like yours in the first picture, but I'd kill to have your curls!

LizTheLyre
August 21st, 2012, 01:25 AM
your natural hair is soooo sooo cute! i know it can be hard to start loving your natural hair, but it's always worth it. :)

Lunadriael
August 21st, 2012, 02:28 AM
I would love to have curls like yours, they are so beautiful. Honestly I think you look a lot more frizzy in the first picture, or maybe that's just me, but the curls are stunning. Imagine having a cascade of that down your back. Defo try and work with it. I reckon when you stop fighting with them your life will be so much easier.

MaryO
August 21st, 2012, 03:15 AM
You hair is lovely!! I'd love to have a bit of curl myself! ;-)

Falcore
August 21st, 2012, 05:12 AM
Ok I had it in my head that the natural picture was going to look worse (only because of what you wrote) . But! Your natural hair is GORGEOUS. You should wear it proud!

It doesn't look like a puff ball AT ALL, rather it looks really pretty and flirty :)

spookyghost
August 21st, 2012, 07:57 PM
If my hair looked like yours air dried, I would be in heaven!

onlyforhim
August 22nd, 2012, 02:00 AM
Your hair looks very very pretty when you do nothing to it. If I were you I would never even think of blowdryin' it

legendya
August 22nd, 2012, 02:08 AM
Your natural wavy hair looks good! It suits your face well :)

MissAlida
August 22nd, 2012, 02:52 AM
It looks like a 2c to me, but it might even turn into a 2c/3a if you treat it well. I think your curls look very pretty and shiny. You should look into the curly girl method, and try it. The hardest thing will be to learn not to touch comb or brush your hair at all. Once you get accustomed to that, you'll have gorgeus curl. And btw, you can still traighten using the hair wrapping method, which is heat free, and gentle on the hair.:)

missketi
August 22nd, 2012, 03:57 AM
Your natural curls are beautiful!

Theobroma
August 22nd, 2012, 04:27 AM
Just chiming in with everyone else to say your natural texture is absolutely lovely!

And to nominate this as Quote of the Day:

It won't be obedient, but it will be AWESOME.

I get the truth of this brought home to me every single time I wear my hair down and curly. :D

goldloli
August 22nd, 2012, 05:21 AM
Srs, not to be mean but you look a lot less attractive with the blow dried hair. I have similar natural curl but its wayyy less voluminous because its longer and weighed down. Enjoy it, it's very pretty hair and those highlights are cute too.

edit: I just looked again at the pics, you look so much more vibrant and flirty with the curls and im pretty jelly of that colour. seconding the 2c comment, possible 3a with cg method.

jacqueline101
August 22nd, 2012, 05:38 AM
Your hair is lovely.

browneyedsusan
August 22nd, 2012, 05:56 AM
That bottom pic is gorgeous! :thudpile:

Why in the world would you mess with blowdrying? Just wash and wear, girl! It's easier, faster, healthier for your hair, and you look like a model for a shampoo commercial!

CurlyCurves
August 25th, 2012, 12:45 PM
:/ I, personally, think it looks much better and healthier dried naturally. I was totally expecting to see a frizzy, poofy mess, and instead I was treated to gorgeous hair! Imagine that long :thud:

ratgirldjh
August 25th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Please don't straighten it! The bottom picture is sooo much nicer! Your hair is shiny and healthy looking!

You have WAVES!!! A lot of people here would KILL to have your WAVES!!!

You might even have CURLS!!! grrr

If you try co-washing I bet it will look even more amazing!!!

OMG I can't wait to see a picture of your hair if you co-wash and plop!!!

Hurry up and try it :D :popcorn:

gillybeanxo3921
August 25th, 2012, 01:30 PM
You should try coconut oil! It definitely helped the frizz for me, and I love my natural texture now. It's shinier, softer, less tangly- it made my waves smoother and easier to handle :)

Good luck! Your hair is beautiful :D