PDA

View Full Version : when can I put oil in after I clarify my hair?

~honeyflower~
August 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I did my first clarifying with apple -cider vinegar and I never had my hair feel this clean before, even with shampoo! I didn't like the vinegar smell at first, but it luckily disappeared after my hair dried and I was happy with the results.
I also got extra virgin olive oil but I am having trouble deciding how much I should put in my hair, and when I can oil my hair after I clarified. I don't know all that much about olive oil, so a little help would be great, thanks!

lapushka
August 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
A long-standing member, Heidi w. posted a video some time ago about oiling. I believe she uses coconut oil, and it amounts to a few drops, I think. For some reason, I can no longer find the video. Hope Heidi sees this!

But yeah, all you really need of any oil is a few drops, IMO.

earthnut
August 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM
You can use oil immediately after, even when your hair is still wet.

Rufflebutt
August 20th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I use EVOO as well. Basically, I barely use any. Just enough to make my hands shiny, and it spreads all over and makes my hair super soft.

Any more than that will make my hair too greasy. But sometimes I really like to do a heavy oiling with it because it makes my hair superduper soft.

MinderMutsig
August 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM
You can put oil in at any time. When your hair is wet, damp or dry.

But FYI: ACV is not clarifying. It will reduce mineral buildup but cannot remove product buildup from silicone, waxes, etc.

~honeyflower~
August 20th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks that's all I needed everyone. MinderMutsig,if acv doesn't remove product buildup well,what does? I want to start off fresh and start over. But, I will keep the acv. I live on a farm so I have well water with high minerals,iron and calcium? its good to drink but it makes hair limp and dull from the build-up and from your post I am thinking that it did help some, but not all.

lapushka
August 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks that's all I needed everyone. MinderMutsig,if acv doesn't remove product buildup well,what does?

A clarifying shampoo will remove buildup. If you don't have that, any SL(E)S shampoo (that doesn't contain silicones) will do practically the same.

earthnut
August 20th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks that's all I needed everyone. MinderMutsig,if acv doesn't remove product buildup well,what does? I want to start off fresh and start over. But, I will keep the acv. I live on a farm so I have well water with high minerals,iron and calcium? its good to drink but it makes hair limp and dull from the build-up and from your post I am thinking that it did help some, but not all.

Any shampoo with sulfates, sulfonates, or betaines will remove build-up from silicones and oils (product build-up). You don't need a special clarifying shampoo or a sulfate shampoo.

Vinegar (and other acids) remove mineral build-up from hard water and chlorine pools. But like in salad dressing, vinegar and oil don't mix and vinegar doesn't remove oils.

MinderMutsig
August 20th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Basically what they said ^^ :)

Vrindi
August 20th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I live in the desert where the water has a lot of minerals in it too, even the city water. I mix a little bit of baking soda in with my sulfate-free shampoo about once a week at most, and it has made a huge difference. A clarifying shampoo will work too. As for the olive oil, use just a little bit. You can always put more in. I use coconut or almond oil. Any one of these is great, and you can use it on wet or dry hair, whenever. I love coconut oil as protection from the nasty harsh sun if I'm outside for a long time, or when I swim. In these cases, I'll use a lot more oil.

jojo
August 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
ACV does not clarify hair it simply closes the hair shaft and rebalances the pH of the scalp. You can clarify with either baking soda or a clarifying shampoo and it's perfectly ok to use an oil straight after.