PDA

View Full Version : Flicky ends help!

Humbug454
August 20th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Would anyone be able to give me some clues as to why some of my ends flick up uncontrollably?

I think it's either due to them being dry and damaged, or thinner than the rest of my hair (I think this is what's causing it more than dryness).

I really don't know what to do about them. I've trimmed quite a lot of length off trying to get rid of these flicks but they keep coming back.

There seems to be a lot of hairs that are shorter lengths and random lengths near the flicks, so do you think if I trim up to an even length the flicks will go away?

I hate them and want them gone once and for all!!!

Avital88
August 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM
i think i know what you mean, and you can cut them,or even up your hemline but probably after a month or 3 they will start to appear again.. its just because of hair grows uneven,some believe hair will eventually even but im not sure about that,regular minitrims are the only thing to prevent your hair from doing this.
IMO its something that comes with long hair and isnt a bad thing..

sunshine-locks
August 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I get the horrible flicking but my hair's about shoulder length, it was at its worst at neck length. Idk why mine happens either, I know I haven't got wavy hair O.o

I hope you find a reason as to why yours flicks :)

Humbug454
August 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I think its down to breakage actually. I just went and had a look at my hair properly in some light that seems to highlight my breakage and......I seem to have a horrible amount of breakage and surprise, surprise, the areas with the most amount of breakage are also the areas with the flicks! Not all my hair flicks, and so I do think it's down to breakage up my hair length.

If I was to trim away all the breakage though I'd be back at around shoulder length!! I was I had taken better care of my hair years before :(

Pearly~91
August 20th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I agree with Avital88, the uneven ends cause chunks to flip randomly. I have the same problem right now, my flips are from a shattered layered short cut growing out. The only way to get rid of it is to keep your hair at a blunt hemline. But keep in mind, as your hair grows you might decide that you don't mind them as much. They look less severe the longer your hair is, or at least that is what I thought when my hair was longer.

Also, it would possibly be a bit of a natural wave pattern showing itself. Even with a blunt hemline my hair flips to the left on both sides of my head, right at the ends. :eek:

eta: Yes, damage can be a factor too, and can cause the uneven ends that cause the flips. And damage to the cuticle might change how wavy your hair is as well in those spots.

Humbug454
August 20th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I think you may be right about the hemline, I did trim it into a slight V shaped hemline not too long ago after being at a blunt hemline for ages. I think doing that caused the flicks to get even worse.

So I think uneven ends+damage+non-blunt hemline = flicky ends! Now comes the decision to chop them off soon, or wait 4 months for my next scheduled trim! I hate decisions :P

gthlvrmx
August 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Wow this is so interesting to me, i have no input since i lived most of my life with curly hair. but i didnt know flicks could be damaged hair! i thought it was natural waviness. i wouldnt know how to relate my hair curls. i hope im getting this right, im imagining a wall of straight hair and then random chunk just flicks up. is that right?

Pearly~91
August 20th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I think you may be right about the hemline, I did trim it into a slight V shaped hemline not too long ago after being at a blunt hemline for ages. I think doing that caused the flicks to get even worse.

So I think uneven ends+damage+non-blunt hemline = flicky ends! Now comes the decision to chop them off soon, or wait 4 months for my next scheduled trim! I hate decisions :P

Well, you could try some deep treatments or oil on the damage maybe, if you really want to wait till your next scheduled trim. I know I really really hate my ends sometimes (they are kinda nasty from the hairdresser using a razor to cut them) and when I feel like I just can't keep from chopping them off, I SMT. I also use mineral oil on just the ends and it makes them feel MUCH better. I just can't justify chopping them off yet, as there are no split ends. I'm hoping to make it another 5 inches before I start trimming them off. :neutral:

Humbug454
August 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Wow this is so interesting to me, i have no input since i lived most of my life with curly hair. but i didnt know flicks could be damaged hair! i thought it was natural waviness. i wouldnt know how to relate my hair curls. i hope im getting this right, im imagining a wall of straight hair and then random chunk just flicks up. is that right?

Yeah you got it exactly right! Straight hair that just curls randomly at the end :mad:

lapushka
August 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Are you sure they're just "flicks" in straight hair, or might there be a possibility that your hair is a little more wavy than you think it is?

Humbug454
August 20th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Definitely not waves, my hair isn't dead straight, but it at least lies flat right up until the end where it pretty much defies gravity and curls up! When I hold the hair flat I can see a lot of shorter broken hairs towards the end that curls so I think this is whats causing it

teal
August 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Well, you could try some deep treatments or oil on the damage maybe, if you really want to wait till your next scheduled trim.

This was my thought, too. I have flicky ends which are partly damage and partly just wavy hair, and I put oil on them when they get too uppity.

duchesswannabe
August 21st, 2012, 05:17 AM
I have repeatedly checked my ends for damage and can't find any, so my flicky ends are, I believe, due to a different hemline than before (I think it is blunt) and that my hair is still possibly growing out of having been thinned out 2 years ago. (I get at least once a year haircuts.) My hair waves, but waves unevenly, so that is responsible in part for the flicks.

Ticky
August 21st, 2012, 06:09 AM
I know that some people get those (if we are thinking about the same thing) at a certain length, like shoulder or TBL. When my hair was at tailbone and I let it air dry, it would sometimes flick out slightly at the very ends. I just thought that it is because of how it drapes over my big behind while drying, as I didn't see any damage and my ends would go back to straight in a few hours or the next day.

I trimmed back a couple of inches and it didn't happen the last time i washed it, but I am not trying to grow it any longer so it isn't a solution for everyone. If I were you, I wouldn't trim it unless you see some kind of damage. Maybe you will eventually grow out of them!