PDA

View Full Version : How to get thinner ends?

eros
August 20th, 2012, 09:33 AM
My ends are thick and it makes my hair look kinda messy! Especially cause it's so humid, my hair is way too dry/messy/annoying right now:(
Here's a pic of my ends
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/adrianalima/img042.jpg
How do I cut my hair to get lighter, thinner ends like these? (without creating split ends,ofcourse!) I have the right scissors.
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/adrianalima/tumblr_m8rho5wyqK1rc1uifo1_500.png

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/adrianalima/90809165.jpg

MintChocChip
August 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM
You have lovely ends by the way! I have thinner ends and I'd kill for some like yours! However, if you really would like thinner ends just get some layers cut into your hair. That'll make your ends thinner for sure!

moxamoll
August 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Yup, those are achieved with layers. I've tried that in the past and found that they take too much fussing and product to look that good - for my taste. Your mileage may definitely vary!!

Instead, I use a bit of MO or Panacea and that helps the ends lay nicely without the *poof*.

Carolyn
August 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM
A lot of people here would kill for your thick ends. I've tried doing a little layering myself and have failed miserably. Take those pics to a good stylist and get a professional cut.

jellycatty
August 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM
You can get layers and when you're at the salon, ask for "tapered ends"

eros
August 20th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Oooh! Thats it! I think it's called tapered ends,not sure, though.
I don't really want layers, just thinner/smoother hair in one length. Wild hair can really get on my nerves sometimes! But yeah you can see that my hair is really full at the bottom, which doesn't look very nice on me. I just want my hair to lay better,have more movement/flowy/bounciness. Does anyone know how to get tapered ends with scissors? I have no idea how to use a razor on my hair!

jacqueline101
August 20th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Yeah get tapered ends.

Cowgirl16
August 20th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I've had my hair razored once; it gave me the worst split ends of my life! Some people can do it with not problem, then there is my hair :( Make sure you go to a good stylist.

Madora
August 20th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I don't really want layers, just thinner/smoother hair in one length. Wild hair can really get on my nerves sometimes! But yeah you can see that my hair is really full at the bottom, which doesn't look very nice on me. I just want my hair to lay better,have more movement/flowy/bounciness. Does anyone know how to get tapered ends with scissors? I have no idea how to use a razor on my hair!

For the sake of your hair, don't let a razor near it! If you cut, cut with proper hair shears. Razors don't cut cleanly and can damage your hair because it hasn't been cut sharply.

katfemme89
August 20th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I've used thinning shears on my hair to achieve this look... but what no one told me and I didn't realize was that a flat iron needs to be used in order to achieve the pretty, wispy ends. After I got done cutting mine, it looked like the picture but after a few days (since I use no heat on my hair) it actually made my ends look even more poofy and weird. However if you have super straight hair, then you might not have this problem. Here's a tutorial on how to do it yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BUIrYdbH7s

katfemme89
August 20th, 2012, 11:56 AM
And here's another tutorial

http://youtu.be/Pyo7DXKT3lg

Rufflebutt
August 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I wish I had ends like yours! Trust me, having thin ends is pretty annoying.

But if you really want them, there's two routes to take. You can either stop trimming your hair and let it just naturally grow, or you can go to a salon and have them thin out your hair and cut some layers. In the process you end up with thinner ends.

PolarCathy
August 20th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I agree, thick ends look really bad! Full hair at the bottom is just odd.

Amygirl8
August 20th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Oh my goodness, I dream for thick ends like yours!!
Can we trade? My ends are quite thin. They're not as bad as they were a couple of years ago, but they're just naturally thin, since the rest of my hair isn't exactly on the thick side either.

I think the easiest way to soften up your ends are to get layers.

onlyforhim
August 20th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Your hair is very beautiful the way it is. People die to have the same thickness till the end of their hair. Because of layers I had very thin ends and I keep microtrimming now hoping it will all be the same thickness.... Before you get layers just google pictures of hair that I thick all the way, you might realize it is much prettier :)

WaitingSoLong
August 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I like the look of tapered ends, too. I'd go to a stylist, if the layers are not staggered or spread out enough, you will end up with a "stacked" look at the back and the thick part will just be higher up. My daughter just had this done and she had "long layers" put in, specified that none of the "layers" were to be above X length so they weren't too short in places (she still wanted all her hair in a ponytail). I woudl think most stylist would understand tapered ends, though. Especially if you bring a picture.

Bunnysaur
August 20th, 2012, 03:04 PM

So... you want your hair to be cut into pretty layers like Jennifer Aniston's, but you don't want layers, you want your hair all the same length?! :confused: I don't think it's possible to get those wispy ends like that without layers.

I've used thinning shears on my hair to achieve this look... but what no one told me and I didn't realize was that a flat iron needs to be used in order to achieve the pretty, wispy ends. After I got done cutting mine, it looked like the picture but after a few days (since I use no heat on my hair) it actually made my ends look even more poofy and weird. However if you have super straight hair, then you might not have this problem. Here's a tutorial on how to do it yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BUIrYdbH7s

Exactly, you'd need to flat iron it daily to get and keep that look.
...which would probably damage and thin the hair strands, so... thinner ends! :p

eros
August 20th, 2012, 04:18 PM
thanks for your help everyone!! :) i think i'll try to start cutting my hair from a different angle, like in the tutorials.i don't mind layers,but i usually get poofy/wavy hair which is like the opposite of what i want,heh. also, in my experience, hairdressers tend to screw my hair up..or i'm just bad at explaining what i want lol. i guess i'll try it myself first and then go to the hairdressers for tapered ends. i dont mind thick ends that much but i think my hair generally at the back has a weird hump (probably a wave thats growing out) and thick ends just make it look worse.
also, the girl in the second video has really healthy hair! i always wonder how they straighten it and stuff and STILL keep it so healthy! grr!

spirals
August 20th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah--don't use a razor. You can get thinning shears at the beauty supply. I actually found a pair at the dollar store. I have layers and I have used the shears also. The scissors have a regular straight blade and a notched blade. They were indispensible to me when my hair was APL and the bottom-heavy shape of it accentuated my wide cheekbones in a non-flattering way.

katfemme89
August 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM
@ eros: yeah I know it frustrates the crap out of me when I see people who straighten their hair every day and yet their hair looks healthier than mine and I don't use ANY heat, lol. I think it's because they are just genetically blessed or something.... I really really don't know, lol.

eros
August 20th, 2012, 04:59 PM
ahh, i know, lol. lets just hope karma will get them one day and their hair will get super fried!
the ones that are the WORST,though, are the ones that dont do ANYTHING to their hair at all! so weird!!

ludwig20
August 20th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I agree, thick ends look really bad! Full hair at the bottom is just odd.

I agree! I struggle with this, but a bit of coconut oil helps sleek my ends.

PolarCathy
August 21st, 2012, 12:13 AM

I was .. let's put it mildly... joking there.

MinderMutsig
August 21st, 2012, 02:41 AM

I was .. let's put it mildly... joking there.Given the length and hairtype ludwig put in her profile I think she's talking triangle head which, lets face it, are also full ends and do look odd. Thank goodness it a phase that will pass as the hair gets longer! :p

PolarCathy
August 21st, 2012, 02:43 AM
Given the length and hairtype ludwig put in her profile I think she's talking triangle head which, lets face it, are also full ends and do look odd. Thank goodness it a phase that will pass as the hair gets longer! :p

Yes I understood ludwig's point, but ludwig's hair is significantly different from OP's, based on the pics :)

julliams
August 21st, 2012, 04:15 AM
I just recently had my hair cut with "seamless layers" so my ends actually look more like your picture. However he cut into my ends and made them very "endy" so it's not all actually the same length.

But yes. tapered ends are what you are looking for and as Madora suggested - insist that they do not do this with a razor. It's cheating anyway. A good stylist will be able to achieve this look with scissors.

eros
August 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
given from the way my ends/hair looks, do you guys think i should get a U,V or straight across cut? I'd really like a straight across cut but i think i'd get that triangle head problem.

katfemme89
August 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
given from the way my ends/hair looks, do you guys think i should get a U,V or straight across cut? I'd really like a straight across cut but i think i'd get that triangle head problem.

Right now I'm rocking a V and I like it. It's easy to cut myself, too. And it took a lot of the dead ends off the front and left the length in the back. And I used to suffer from poofy ends but the V helped to tame that down. However one thing that kinda sucks that I gotta let you know is that when you try to braid it, you'll have eight million shorter ends sticking out of the braid because you have so many layers. So if you like doing very kempt-looking braided styles then DO NOT go V.

ludwig20
August 21st, 2012, 11:23 AM
Given the length and hairtype ludwig put in her profile I think she's talking triangle head which, lets face it, are also full ends and do look odd. Thank goodness it a phase that will pass as the hair gets longer! :p

Thank you. That's what I meant.

To the OP, a straight/blunt cut should be avoided for that exact reason.
I think either the U or V cut could help.

PrettyFit
August 21st, 2012, 12:52 PM

First, let me say that your hair is beautiful!

My vote is for the U. Any straight angle may give you the same problem (straight across or V). U will soften it a bit (in my opinion).

I used to hate my thick ends and treated my hair like it was indestructible for 20 years and fried it with a flat iron for last 6 years. Now I am praying for some thick ends!! :pray: