PDA

View Full Version : my new henna doesn't like my shampoo?!

bunnylake
August 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I co-washed yesterday which was fine, but this morning I used my Nature's Gate Henna shampoo and it made my hair feel like STRAW. It really freaked me out. I'd used it pre-henna and I loved it. Is my hair just dry from the henna and I didn't realize it because I co-washed? Or does hennaed hair get funky about certain shampoos?

raingirl
August 20th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Despite oiling and CO, my hair was quite dry a few days after henna no matter what I did. I just tried to use lots of oil at night and it seemed to help a bit.

bunnylake
August 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I hadn't even noticed much dryness right after my henna because I oiled heavily pre-henna, oiled afterwards, co-washed... I guess all of that sort of masked the dryness that was there? It's fine if that's what it is. I'm just wondering if shampoos will actually work differently on hennaed hair.

Baby
August 20th, 2012, 02:27 PM
My post henna hair does not like proteins. It gets straw like and dullish then, could that be the problem?

Alvrodul
August 20th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Since henna tends to work rather like a protein treatment, it may well be that your hair has become more sensitive to proteins. I would recommend a SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). (I routinely do a SMT after hennaing to add moisture.)

cmg
August 20th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'm thinking the same thing. Henna, cassia and some other treatments seem to mimic protein effect. Henna actually penetrates the hair and makes it thicker and stiffer. Scientists have weighed hennaed hair before and after stripping off the henna, and found that there is a considerable amount that makes room inside the hair. It might have something to do with this. I would have expected a less pronounced effect on a M hair, or perhaps I'm thinking wrong? Anyway, your hair may have raised cuticles after the henna has deposited and this makes up for the feeling of strawiness. I would do some moisture treatments with whatever your hair likes: SMT's, honey, mayo, oils ... and then seal it in well afterwards with oil or condish etc.

/ CMG

bunnylake
August 20th, 2012, 04:01 PM
The conditioner I used to co-wash I think has a lot of protein... The VO5 Shea one... But my hair felt fine when I used that. I'll try some protien-free moisture treatments! If I use a coney conditioner will it be better or worse for my hair? Will it keep moisture out?

bunnylake
August 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Also what protien and sulfate free shampoos do you recommend?

bunnylake
August 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I just took a shower and clarified and then used the only protein-free conditioner in my shower: Aussie 3mm. Wow does my hair feel better. But EVERYTHING else in my shower is chock full of protein! Even some stuff I just bought! Gaaah! But it's a good excuse to buy more hair products teeheheheehe.

cmg
August 24th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Thats one of the things LHC does for you, he he.
I have to go to the bathroom every time I need something for the kitchen - herbs, oils, vinegars, avocado, mayonnaise, lemons etc :)

/ CMG

RachelRose
December 30th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Hmmm my hair is hennaed several times over and now that I've taken such an interest in my hair care with lhc I'm starting to accuse protein of my hair woes .

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 12:18 PM
Hmmm my hair is hennaed several times over and now that I've taken such an interest in my hair care with lhc I'm starting to accuse protein of my hair woes .

I think you need moisture to balance out the strengthening effect. I would do an SMT (for its humectant action) and use oils and/or silicones to get some occlusion/emollience. Also, if your hennaed hair doesn't like protein, just switch up your products. Protein build-up goes away pretty easily with just washing and a moisturizing conditioner. :)

Ambrielle
December 31st, 2014, 12:32 PM
I think you need moisture to balance out the strengthening effect. I would do an SMT (for its humectant action) and use oils and/or silicones to get some occlusion/emollience. Also, if your hennaed hair doesn't like protein, just switch up your products. Protein build-up goes away pretty easily with just washing and a moisturizing conditioner. :)

yes, THIS.

my opinion is henna isn't drying in itself but it coats the strand and binds to the keratin of hair making it stronger in a similar fashion than coconut oil does i think. My hair for example is naturally very rich in keratin (wether i use henna or not makes no difference) and the key has always been to keep it moisturized. i can't use a lot of protein based products (keratin in any product is a big no for me, i was using the organix conditioner packed with keratin and my hair strands became swollen, stiff, brittle and broke off, same thing happened with another product that contained hydrolized keratin) yet neither henna nor coconut oil seem to effect it but i always make sure i condition very well regardless. Another possibility is low porosity hair may be more effected by it especially with all the coating going on.

bunnylake could you give us the list of ingredients of that shampoo? it could be something else (i found out recently i can't use any products that have beeswax unless it's very low on the list of ingredients)