PDA

View Full Version : Fighting breakage?

Rufflebutt
August 19th, 2012, 10:31 PM
So, my hair has a ton of breakage. I've ceased all heat styling and dyeing, threw out my own brush, and got a wide tooth comb/BBB.

I've done a few trims and for the past few days I've been extensively S&Ding. And well, it never ends. There's so many splits and breakage.. Growing out my hair will take a while. But until then, do you know any way to preserve my hair a bit more and conceal the damage in the mean time? I know that the breakage is inevitable, but I would like to minimize it if possible.

heyshortyhey
August 19th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Braids, buns, and oiled and tucked in ends. Watch where you wear your scrunchie bands, if you wear them in the same spot over and over it can create a ring of damage. That really helped me when I had breakage.

I did not even realize you were at hip! I forgot to glance over there. Sorry. Ignore my "dur de dur I already know that" info above! lol

Silverbrumby
August 19th, 2012, 10:35 PM
So, my hair has a ton of breakage. I've ceased all heat styling and dyeing, threw out my own brush, and got a wide tooth comb/BBB.

I've done a few trims and for the past few days I've been extensively S&Ding. And well, it never ends. There's so many splits and breakage.. Growing out my hair will take a while. But until then, do you know any way to preserve my hair a bit more and conceal the damage in the mean time? I know that the breakage is inevitable, but I would like to minimize it if possible.

Aren't you at hip? If so then ceasing all heat, styling and dyeing means that you have about... calculating here. Lets say 6 inches of growth per year with trims means you have about 3 or 4 years worth of damaged hair. The last 12 inches being the stuff that suffered the most.

Patience is what I was told when I first joined here and I honestly think time and patience is the best thing for ones hair when you get a routine that works for you.

Rufflebutt
August 19th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Aren't you at hip? If so then ceasing all heat, styling and dyeing means that you have about... calculating here. Lets say 6 inches of growth per year with trims means you have about 3 or 4 years worth of damaged hair. The last 12 inches being the stuff that suffered the most.

Patience is what I was told when I first joined here and I honestly think time and patience is the best thing for ones hair when you get a routine that works for you.

Yeah... I've dug myself into quite the hole. D: This is certainly going to be a test of my patience. But, I'm hoping my hair will make a recovery. It made it to this length despite the torture I put through, so I'm hoping it will thrive even more so if I pamper it.

I guess I better learn a few more updos and get used to it being tucked away for a good long time... XD

Asprettyasme
August 19th, 2012, 10:59 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Shepherdess
August 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I still have many split ends even though I am taking care of my hair as best as I can. For years I used to rip through my hair with a brush and I would also do that often when it was wet (every single day). Not until a year ago did I give up the harmful brush and started taking better care of my hair. So now I have mid-thigh length hair and I think that it will take a while for my hair to get back to complete health. I think it just takes time until all of the damaged hair grows out. :)

Silverbrumby
August 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah... I've dug myself into quite the hole. D: This is certainly going to be a test of my patience. But, I'm hoping my hair will make a recovery. It made it to this length despite the torture I put through, so I'm hoping it will thrive even more so if I pamper it.

I guess I better learn a few more updos and get used to it being tucked away for a good long time... XD

I think your hair looks great from the pictures I've seen. I'm thinking that maybe just maybe you should maintain until the breakage stops. I seem to recall you have fast growing hair. If that's the case why not commit 6 months to maintaining and see if the worst of the breakage is taken care of. With hair as strong as yours I bet you'll be just fine after that.

Rufflebutt
August 19th, 2012, 11:17 PM
The only thing I can think of is MSM and Biotin. MSM will stop you from shedding and it will keep your growing phase going longer. Biotin will help the new hair come in faster. Also try not touching your hair at all for a little while if you can resist.
After reading about the dangers of biotin, I would rather not take it simply for the superficial reasoning of better or faster hair growth. I'm thinking of taking a wack at monistat, though. But I'm still researching that topic.

Rufflebutt
August 19th, 2012, 11:20 PM
I think your hair looks great from the pictures I've seen. I'm thinking that maybe just maybe you should maintain until the breakage stops. I seem to recall you have fast growing hair. If that's the case why not commit 6 months to maintaining and see if the worst of the breakage is taken care of. With hair as strong as yours I bet you'll be just fine after that.

I started maintaining in June and my aim to continue until December before beginning at shooting at my goal for classic length. I do think that for the amount of abuse I've put my hair through, it does miraculously look decent and it's pretty long.

Even after December, I'll continue to microtrim frequently but space them out further. So instead of cutting off about a half inch a month to maintain at hip, I'll probably just cut about 1/4 of an inch every other month and decrease the frequency until I find that my hair is healthy enough to go longer without trims.

Madora
August 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Have you tried catnip rinses for fighting splits?

Here's Ktani's article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

You might also want to read about using mineral oil (aka baby oil) to help keep moisture in your hair. It is lightweight and has the additional benefits of being a great detangler and helps tame frizzies.

Here is the link:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

arelrios
August 20th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I will be following this thread since it looks my hair is doing the same. I have not heat styled in at least six months (I was never a frequent user of the dryer or flat iron, but did it once in a while). The other night I tried a scalp massage and noticed a lot of small hairs (shorter than my shorter layer) even with the root :( so I decided to stop. As for the ends, they are getting rougher, redish (i am assuming is the last hair dye I applied 2 years ago) and with white dots and splits.
I am wearing my hair in braids often and I don't brush because I get scared of how many hairs I get after doing one or the other :confused:.
As far as products, yesterday I got Africa's best herbal oil so I will be using it and reporting on the results (I couldn't find recommended oils) and this product "says" it has all the ones everybody is recommending here.
Good luck with your hair and please let us know what works to stop the breakage.

Alexblue
August 20th, 2012, 12:28 PM
At hip length you may want to favour buns over braids so that the ends are protected. Even with gentle hair elastics, you may want to avoid until the breakage spots.

Also, do you have a sharp pair of scissors you only use for your hair and nothing else? Split ends will return quickly if you S&D with dull scissors.