PDA

View Full Version : Roots and Dying- Technical Assistance Required!

Sylvestrix
August 19th, 2012, 05:50 PM
After fruitlessly trawling the internet, I've come back to the font of all hair knowledge for help with my latest conundrum!

As some of you may know, I have obnoxiously red hair, and I absolutely adore it. But for almost a year now I've been craving a change, and I've come to the decision that I'd like to gradually grow out my colour, to keep my ends vibrant but grow in my natural colour (which I haven't seen more than an inch of in about 9 years o.o) as well. I suppose it could be called an ombre, but ombre by nature I guess!

My problem is this. I cannot grow out my roots just as they are then layer the colour, as in traditional ombre. I've got about a fingers width of roots right now and it's driving me psycho. So to get to the nub and the jist of my question, I'd like to know what the outcome of using a highlighting cap to colour only some of my regrowth would be?

My thought here is that it'd break up the root line, as well as letting me make a gradual transition down my hair- each dying cycle, I'll pull less hair through the cap, and therefor end up with less colour, until I have a gradual fade that I can be content with?

Problem is, I have no idea if this will work, or leave me looking like a stripey hot mess.

If anyone has any advice, or an alternate plan I can pull off solo, I'd be much obliged! :D

heyshortyhey
August 19th, 2012, 05:55 PM
The only issue I see with that is this: depending on how you have your hair when you put the cap on (combed straight back, parted in the middle, side part, etc), or how thick the strands you pull out, you could end up with MORE hair colored from the cap making the transition harder, if you intend to do the cap the entire time you're growing out, and yeah, could end up with a streaky mess.

I wear a zig zag part when my roots start to grow out. It doesn't help for long, but it does help. The only thing I can suggest would be stocking up on a demi color close to what you have at the bottom.

You could always try your cap idea with a demi color!

Sylvestrix
August 19th, 2012, 06:05 PM
This is what I was worried about, and why I haven't tried it yet! I'm zig zagging right now, but I'm aiming to have my natural colour to around earlobe/chin level eventually, and I'm not loving the idea of having a straightish band of colour all around my head any more than I'm loving being a streaky riot, heh.

Thanks for the advice, I might try to find a bright-ish demi and see what happens!

katfemme89
August 19th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Why don't you just find a dye close to your natural haircolor, put your hair in a ponytail, and just put the new dye on your scalp up to the hair tie? Then when you wash it out you'll have ombre color.

babyblonde411
August 19th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I think you should try balayage highlites. The way they grow out is ultra natural and very very pretty. look up a few videos and see if you can show your hair dresser what you mean. you could also try to do them yourself. i usually balayage my own hair. i do a few lowlights. concentrating the color towards the root area and then holding off towards the ends. randomly placing them makes growing them out very graceful!

Sylvestrix
August 19th, 2012, 06:49 PM
My only problem with this idea is that I've dyed brown (my natural colour) over red before, and it always leaves me with a brassy, patchy looking colour- I've done some research and it seems to be the consensus that it is tricky to dye over dyed reds, especially when they're as vibrant as mine.
I'd love it if I could get this to work as it'd be much easier, but I'm concerned about it turning out patchy and off-colour as it has in the past =[

ETA: The only videos I've managed to find are just working with colouring the ends, and I almost need to do the opposite ie colour from the roots. Any more info about how you do your hair would be much appreciated, it sounds like something I could adapt to work with what I've got =]

katfemme89
August 19th, 2012, 06:53 PM
My only problem with this idea is that I've dyed brown (my natural colour) over red before, and it always leaves me with a brassy, patchy looking colour- I've done some research and it seems to be the consensus that it is tricky to dye over dyed reds, especially when they're as vibrant as mine.
I'd love it if I could get this to work as it'd be much easier, but I'm concerned about it turning out patchy and off-colour as it has in the past =[

You could go to Sally beauty supply and get the red eliminating stuff that you mix into the dye. But if you're in Scotland you'll probably have to find a different store something comparable to Sally's.

babyblonde411
August 19th, 2012, 06:55 PM
hmm. could you try a cooler brown color? you should try a demi permenant dye if you could. a lot of times, demi permenents are resistent to fading a lot longer than permanents. permanent dyes flare open the cuticle and allow the color to penetrate. however, this works against it, allowing color to leave the strand more easily. theyre also nicer to your hair because of the lower peroxide.

Sylvestrix
August 19th, 2012, 07:02 PM
You could go to Sally beauty supply and get the red eliminating stuff that you mix into the dye. But if you're in Scotland you'll probably have to find a different store something comparable to Sally's.

I've never heard of that, I'll investigate immediately! I have access to a Sallys, so I'll pop in and see what they have. Thanks very much! Any idea what it's called?

hmm. could you try a cooler brown color? you should try a demi permenant dye if you could. a lot of times, demi permenents are resistent to fading a lot longer than permanents. permanent dyes flare open the cuticle and allow the color to penetrate. however, this works against it, allowing color to leave the strand more easily. theyre also nicer to your hair because of the lower peroxide.

I've used ash browns before to try to counteract the red, but no luck so far =/ I think I'll definitely try a demi- thanks for the suggestion! Fade resistance would definitely be a plus point, since I don't want to do what I've done before and spend a lot of time meticulously colouring only to have it wash out a few weeks later!

katfemme89
August 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I've never heard of that, I'll investigate immediately! I have access to a Sallys, so I'll pop in and see what they have. Thanks very much! Any idea what it's called?

Here ya go dearie: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Red-Gold-Corrector-Plus/ARDELL20,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

I have auburn hair and my hair ALWAYS pulls red through dye, no matter what color I choose. I used this stuff when I bleached my hair and it helped A LOT. I hope it helps you.

Sylvestrix
August 19th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks a million! You're a wee star, must get my hands on some of this to try!